MacDaddy cleaning House! Firings galore! (Merged)

32EBoozer

6_3585815.jpg(Photo: William Perlman for NJ.com, USA TODAY Sports)

By the time the Jets hired Mike Maccagnan as their general manager in mid-January, it was too late to make any changes to the scouting department.

Maccagnan waited until after the draft to make those adjustments. He fired director of pro personnel Brendan Prophett and five scouts on Monday, according to Brian Costello of the New York Post. Prophett was the director of pro personnel for six years. He was with the organization for 14 seasons, starting as a scout in 2001.

Costello reports Cole Hufnagel was the lone scout who preceded the John Idzik era, which started in 2013. Idzik brought in the other four.

It appears this was an expected move upon the conclusion of the draft. Like a new coach who hires his own assistants, a new GM wants to establish a personnel department with people who fit his approach and style. The timing may seem odd, but it's typical.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tanny - treated draft draft picks after round 3 like garbage to be tossed away.  Dominated by the head coach, sparse number of picks lead to no depth/development in the long run.

Idzik - Actually had not a bad concept of how to operated, accumulate picks, use cap judiciously.  However poor background in scouting and the actual draft picks were lousy in many cases.  Also a total lack of the ability to make moves quickly if necessary.

MacCagnan - Values draft picks but is not afraid to use them to get players, especially if it is a bargain.  Extensive scouting background and a plan for addressing needs and developing.  The ability to move fast and without fear within the draft.  The one pick trade up to ensure they got Petty, getting a more established RB on the cheap.  The trade down, though panned by a number of posters added some valuable picks and more trade flexibility.

MacCagnan also is humble enough and realistic enough to know that not all picks will turn out.  The results will be what is important going down the road but I like the make up of our new GM far better than the previous two.

Joe Caporoso ‏@TurnOnTheJets · 9s9 seconds ago

#Jets hierarchy now fully fleshed out: Maccagnan. Hogan. Heimerdinger on player personnel. Graves, Davidson on contracts.

Not true according to Cimini...tweeted that there are some holdovers remaining from previous regime in scouting/personnel/admin.

I'd love to have someone connected with the CFL to take another "Cameron Wake"!

I remember when became available myself and a couple other Canadians were trumpeting that the Jets had to get this guy.  For the most part we were laughed at....."CFL....lol!"  Some very good players can be obtained from up here, Jerrel Freeman, LB Indy is another one.

Alas no Cam Wake level of prospects available the last few years.

He kept Graves who was supposedly Idzik's mentor and right hand.  Not sure what to make of that. 

He kept the 2 guys that handle contract creation.  No issues keeping guys that know how to build good contracts.  Plus its the administrative side which is easier to retain.

He kept Graves who was supposedly Idzik's mentor and right hand.  Not sure what to make of that. 

I understand he is decent at cap skills/good relationship w/agents etc and thats what mac is using him for

"In his position as Arizona Cardinals General Manager, Graves was responsible for all facets of the Cardinals’ football operations. He served as the team’s primary contract negotiator in addition to overseeing salary-cap management, and consulting on other business aspects of the football operation."

He kept the 2 guys that handle contract creation.  No issues keeping guys that know how to build good contracts.  Plus its the administrative side which is easier to retain.

Be curious to see if he goes after some scouts he had worked with in Houston.

I am fully aware of why he kept Graves, but let's not act like the whole thing was blown up and remade in the image of Maccagnan when he kept our former #2.  FWIW, people were giving Idzik credit for bringing in another experienced personnel guy when he brought Graves over.  Seems strange to act like he is this wonderous cap guru  now. 

Graves has experience other than contracts.

He joined the National Football League in 1984 as a regional scout for the Chicago Bears, a position he held until promoted to director of college scouting in 1993, then director of player personnel in 1994.

I am fully aware of why he kept Graves, but let's not act like the whole thing was blown up and remade in the image of Maccagnan when he kept our former #2.  FWIW, people were giving Idzik credit for bringing in another experienced personnel guy when he brought Graves over.  Seems strange to act like he is this wonderous cap guru  now. 

who said he was wonderous, LOL

My guess his days are also numbered unless Woody enamored with him

I love everything these guys are doing. Thank God we hired true football people with brains and cleaned house. When was the last time we got A ratings in the draft reviews? Never? The frat house has moved on to Buffalo and we have the makings of one helluva team here.

Let me re-phrase that. With the exception of the QB we have the makings of one helluva team here.  GO JETS!

Pretty tough for scouts and personnel guys in that situation.  You know you have a good chance of getting the axe and yet still have to do your job for months.

How many HOFers have we drafted in the last 14 years??

Revis......  We needed to clean house.

Be curious to see if he goes after some scouts he had worked with in Houston.

I already gave you the answer to this one!

32EBoozer

2nd Year Veteran

Posted Today, 11:18 AM

"Houston.... we have a problem"

We're going to need ALL your Regional Scouting Directors ASAP!!

Jets got an A because we lucked into the consensus best pick in the draft!

I love all the picks but getting Leonard Williams because the Jags were enamored with a local LB, the Raiders had to make another offensive splash & finally the Redskins took a freaking guard #5 overall?

Picking at 6 it's just amazing.

Like Gil Brandt said, "The Jets should arrested for stealing", regarding Williams.

The Times the are a changing for our NY Jets.

Just imagine if Bryce Petty becomes our QB in two years, we'll all look back on this draft as the moment we took over the AFC East.

Jets got an A because we lucked into the consensus best pick in the draft!

I love all the picks but getting Leonard Williams because the Jags were enamored with a local LB, the Raiders had to make another offensive splash & finally the Redskins took a freaking guard #5 overall?

Picking at 6 it's just amazing.

Like Gil Brandt said, "The Jets should arrested for stealing", regarding Williams.

The Times the are a changing for our NY Jets.

Just imagine if Bryce Petty becomes our QB in two years, we'll all look back on this draft as the moment we took over the AFC East.

Lucking into the best pick is forgetting our history.

JETS of years past, take a position player from a small school in same position. (Kenny O (not marino), Kyle Brady (not Sapp).)

This pick shows real maturity on management.

Accountants basically, no influence on player personnel.  Maybe Mac can bring Idziot back to help oversee the contracts and he can also mentor him in an interim GM role.  ::whip:   

Archived