MacDaddy cleaning House! Firings galore! (Merged)

32EBoozer

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty tough for scouts and personnel guys in that situation.  You know you have a good chance of getting the axe and yet still have to do your job for months.

My guess is they knew it was coming - it was likely discussed well before that they would be asked to get through the draft and they would move on.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/5/4/8542905/the-new-york-jets-continue-to-clean-house

Soon after Mike Maccagnan was hired, the team let Terry Bradway and Jeff Bauer go. One of Maccagnan's stated goals was to remake the scouting department in his image, as he felt the team did not dedicate sufficient resources to it. Today, we have some news from Brian Costello:

It isn't clear if there are remaining holdovers from the old regime, or the past ten years, but it's clear the entire department has seen a makeover. This is what's more typical; to wait until after the draft to fire the scouting department, and Bradway/Bauer were the exception. But now, essentially everyone is gone, and Maccagnan is free to bring in his guys. I don't want to gloat, since a number of I'm sure good people just lost their job, but it will be interesting to see what Maccagnan does next.

New regime in town. No holdovers. No Bradways...no tanny and Rex guys. It's macs show. It was a huge red flag when idzik kept everyone around last year.

Idzik did make changes. Didn't clean house but he did let go off some scouts and hired new scouts.

Watch around the NFL this week as other teams with new GMs follow suit.

Idzik did make changes. Didn't clean house but he did let go off some scouts and hired new scouts.

True, but his changes were cosmetic. Like moving into a house in need of rebuilding and slapping paint on it. Mac is gutting the house and doing a full remodel. I love it!

My guess is they knew it was coming - it was likely discussed well before that they would be asked to get through the draft and they would move on.

@DWAZ73: #Jets fire dir. of pro personnel Brendan Prophett and 5 scouts (as @BrianCoz reported). Was told this was not a surprise to those involved.

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets 7m7 minutes ago

I wrote this in December about the #Jets convoluted mess of a FO. It has now been cleaned out in one off-season: http://turnonthejets.com/2014/12/new-york-jets-house-broken-not-divided/ 

Weird that they knew it was coming and it was done after the draft.  How much involvement did they have leading up to this draft?  If I told a scout that I was going to fire them right after the draft then I would not trust anything out of their mouths.

Weird that they knew it was coming and it was done after the draft. How much involvement did they have leading up to this draft? If I told a scout that I was going to fire them right after the draft then I would not trust anything out of their mouths.

Looks like Macagnan reached a gentle men's agreement that they would have their jobs and leave after the '15 draft. Macagnan didn't have enough time to bring his own crew in for this year.

New regime in town. No holdovers. No Bradways...no tanny and Rex guys. It's macs show. It was a huge red flag when idzik kept everyone around last year.

First time adults in charge since Groh.

Weird that they knew it was coming and it was done after the draft.  How much involvement did they have leading up to this draft?  If I told a scout that I was going to fire them right after the draft then I would not trust anything out of their mouths.

Probably because they could assemble and compile data on the prospects for this year. We can only hope they weren't asked for their opinions.  

@SethWalderNYDN: Prophett had been with the Jets since 2000. Courtright, Hinson, Prescott and Turner were hired by John Idzik. #nyj

All scouts hired by the accountant had to go. Good.

It's not like that. This is the field these men chose, and they knew going in that they'd be hired and fired based on the whims of new hires above them. If they purposely did anything to sabotage the Jets' draft, they'd be blackballed from ever getting hired again. Everyone did the best job they could on their way to their next job.

I doubt they were specifically told as individuals that they were going to be fired.  A guy like Prophett has survived several FO shake ups.   I'm sure they were aware there were going to be big changes, but were also told to "give me a reason to keep you around".

It is more common to fire scouting staffs after the draft then before.  Just to much change in a very busy time.

Looks like Macagnan reached a gentle men's agreement that they would have their jobs and leave after the '15 draft. Macagnan didn't have enough time to bring his own crew in for this year.

SOP within NFL scouting. Maccagnan couldn't get scouts he wanted since they most likely had contracts with other NFL teams. Another team isn't going to let a scout leave when there is still 5 months of work to do leading up with o the draft.

Probably because they could assemble and compile data on the prospects for this year. We can only hope they weren't asked for their opinions.

Let's not go crazy. I'm sure Mccagnan had a very good opinion on players based on all his work from last year with Houston.

All scouts hired by the accountant had to go. Good.

It's not like that. This is the field these men chose, and they knew going in that they'd be hired and fired based on the whims of new hires above them. If they purposely did anything to sabotage the Jets' draft, they'd be blackballed from ever getting hired again. Everyone did the best job they could on their way to their next job.

Which accountant, Tanny or Idz... nevermind, BOTH!

Archived