mike Westof explains how jets defence will thrive

njjetman

Instead of 2 guys getting 45-55 plays per game each, now 3 guys get 35 snaps a game.  No big deal.  They will be fresh late in the season and ready to pounce.  All 3 have pro-bowl talent.  What a luxury to have.  The guy who will really lose playing time is Douzable.  No big problem there.

Maybe their personal stats suffer a bit but the team as a whole will be better, and everyone knows how good Mo, Sheldon, and Leonard Williams really are.

With these monsters up front, and Revis, Cro, Skrine, Milliner, back there to play bump and run man coverage, life will be hard for any QB playing the Jets.

I am VERY wary of people basing how a defense is utilized on substitution.  If the dline is going great guns by substituting get ready for everyone and their dog to pull the hurry up on us.

That wont happen. Not everyone is Chip. Besides, it'll be hard playing hurry up when you have our corners that love to be physical at the line (besides Cro). That disruption will mess up most of that plan, especially a team that isnt efficient with the scheme like a Philly. 

That wont happen. Not everyone is Chip. Besides, it'll be hard playing hurry up when you have our corners that love to be physical at the line (besides Cro). That disruption will mess up most of that plan, especially a team that isnt efficient with the scheme like a Philly. 

The pats have done that numerous times in the past.  And most often we as in rex gets caught with his pants down and has to use a time out.  you game plan to take away things the other team does best and likes to do best.  If the jets were in a heavy rotation as an opposing coach I would hurry up the pace and limit my own substitutions.

The pats have done that numerous times in the past.  And most often we as in rex gets caught with his pants down and has to use a time out.  you game plan to take away things the other team does best and likes to do best.  If the jets were in a heavy rotation as an opposing coach I would hurry up the pace and limit my own substitutions.

The Pats are well coached. I dont see the Browns, Jags, Redskins, Dolphins, Raiders, Bills, Titans, Giants (other teams that we play) doing that simply because the Patriots did it. 

Thats why I said, "not everyone is Chip". We may have a team or two try it, but Its nothing that we will have to worry about for any significant portion of our season. 

In any defense other than the 3-4 base, David Harris becomes a liability because of his tortoise speed.  I agree that Davis isn't the answer at MLB in a 4-6, in fact Davis would be ok at OLB in a 4-3.  but at least he has sound lateral movement.  Harris is a great tackler.  If he can get to the ball carrier, that is.  I hope the Jets find their MLB/ILB in next year's draft.  He can learn from Harris in 2016 and we can cut ties with Harris after that.

I dunno how wise the decision was to give Harris so much guaranteed money.

The bottom line is that there will not be a single offensive look we face where we will lack personnel.  You want to run on us up the gut?  Send in Snacks and David Harris.  You want to go empty backfield?  Say hello to Coples and Mauldin.  You want to attack Revis?  Good luck.  You want to come over the middle?  Get ready for a breakout season from Calvin Pryor, finally getting to play in his proper position.  And of course, no matter what you do, the D-Line will be an elite unit ready to wreak havoc.

Most feared defense in the AFC.  It's going to be a fun season.

Our two biggest strengths on defense are at DLine and the secondary.  In one of my

"schemes" I'll have a five man line of Wilkerson, Richardson, Harrison, Coples and

Williams isolated on the opponents OLine in 1 on 1 matchups.  I'll then flood the 

rest of the defense with DB's where safeties replace the LB's.  All slow LB's are

removed from the field

I am VERY wary of people basing how a defense is utilized on substitution. If the dline is going great guns by substituting get ready for everyone and their dog to pull the hurry up on us.

You then substitute the next series. And we should have a solid D. Maybe there will be more 3 n outs anyways.

The bottom line is that there will not be a single offensive look we face where we will lack personnel. You want to run on us up the gut? Send in Snacks and David Harris. You want to go empty backfield? Say hello to Coples and Mauldin. You want to attack Revis? Good luck. You want to come over the middle? Get ready for a breakout season from Calvin Pryor, finally getting to play in his proper position. And of course, no matter what you do, the D-Line will be an elite unit ready to wreak havoc.

Most feared defense in the AFC. It's going to be a fun season.

We should have the best goal line D.

I am VERY wary of people basing how a defense is utilized on substitution.  If the dline is going great guns by substituting get ready for everyone and their dog to pull the hurry up on us.

I don't see it that scary.  I know what you mean about what happened in the past, but that was when Rex was forced to use scheme.  Having Wiliams to interchange with Wilk and Sheldon won't cause that problem.  They should all be able to cover for each other.  The problems come with things like teams being able to force Harris to cover, etc.  I don't see many crazy mismatches with these personnel groupings.

So, our new defense doesn't need linebackers. Cool?

I know your post is in jest, but in ARZ Bowles seemed to like having two down lineman (dockett and Campbell) with and a lot of linebackers...I think his strategies will change based on his strengths but I think you'll see a lot of Harris and Davis with guys like Richardson and Coples standing up (at times) and a ton movement (inside and out) throughout, with Mo, Williams, Trich, Coples. They'll constantly be shifting based on formations etc. A guy like Harrison will prob being losing most of the snaps except on obv running downs, is my guess. With Maudlin off the edge on passing downs.

If everyone can stay healthy it will be a lot of fun to watch!

Our Dline will have 3 guys over 300LBs who can all move. There is no way in hell you'll see Harris & Davis on the field in 3rd & long.

This is what Westhoff was talking about.

Bowles could use a trio of safeties depending on the match ups.

Or he could use a CB like Milliner if he's healthy to cover a TE.

Compared to the players available to us last year the hardest thing Bowles has to figure out is what players can do what.

Some really great versatility among all of these guys. If McDougle can make it all the back now you have Skrine & Dougs to play the slot guys.

Incredibly important vs a team like Indy who now has TY Hilton & Dorsett.

Revis takes out the old man Andre, Cro eliminates Fleener, now you have Skrine & McDougle with safety help for the smaller burners.

I can't even imagine how giddy Bowles is looking over what he has to work with the summer.

Plus they don't have to rush Milliner or McDougle & both of those guys know the heat is on to get back on the field for their own good.

We don't even know how good Williams or Walls can be now that they have experience & will not have to cover #1 WRs anymore.

I actually like what I saw from Williams & now we're looking at him as a Nickle or Dime CB.

Sweet!

If you want to see what the defense would look like with Williams, Richardson, and Wilkerson playing together on the line, read the Field Gulls series on Seattle's over/under defense. Wilkerson at 5T, Richardson at 3T, Williams at 1T. Not this 46 nonsense. These guys are too good to waste playing heads up over guards.

If you want to see what the defense would look like with Williams, Richardson, and Wilkerson playing together on the line, read the Field Gulls series on Seattle's over/under defense. Wilkerson at 5T, Richardson at 3T, Williams at 1T. Not this 46 nonsense. These guys are too good to waste playing heads up over guards.

Sorta what that SI article I posted and begged everyone to read (which no one did lol) touches on. Bowles D (at least based off of what he ran in Arizona) wants down lineman shooting gaps, not occupying them like in a more traditional 34 (a la Lebeau old Belichick etc). A lot of the times he didn't use that big clunky NT and would do things like line Dockett (a traditional 3 tech) over center.

And there's the whole alignment vs assignment which 10-20 was easier to figure out, nowadays, typical with a lot of defenses including Bowles, a lot is based on disguises etc....

Sorta what that SI article I posted and begged everyone to read (which no one did lol) touches on. Bowles D (at least based off of what he ran in Arizona) wants down lineman shooting gaps, not occupying them like in a more traditional 34 (a la Lebeau old Belichick etc). A lot of the times he didn't use that big clunky NT and would do things like line Dockett (a traditional 3 tech) over center.

And there's the whole alignment vs assignment which 10-20 was easier to figure out, nowadays, typical with a lot of defenses including Bowles, a lot is based on disguises etc....

Sort of. Obviously 4-3 isn't synonymous with 1-gap and 3-4 isn't synonymous with 2gap, and the distinction between the two given a specified gap system is basically meaningless. What the articles illustrate is the idea of a hybrid front, which basically everybody (e.g. Rex, Bowles, Seahawks, USC) uses and which refers not to switching between 4-3 and 3-4 but to using both gap techniques at the same time.

Sort of. Obviously 4-3 isn't synonymous with 1-gap and 3-4 isn't synonymous with 2gap, and the distinction between the two given a specified gap system is basically meaningless. What the articles illustrate is the idea of a hybrid front, which basically everybody (e.g. Rex, Bowles, Seahawks, USC) uses and which refers not to switching between 4-3 and 3-4 but to using both gap techniques at the same time.

Sorta what I was trying to say more or less. Base fronts don't mean much anymore as well as pre snap alignment...at least for a lot, if not most, defenses.

I am VERY wary of people giving out candy from windowless vans.

The Pats are well coached. I dont see the Browns, Jags, Redskins, Dolphins, Raiders, Bills, Titans, Giants (other teams that we play) doing that simply because the Patriots did it. 

Thats why I said, "not everyone is Chip". We may have a team or two try it, but Its nothing that we will have to worry about for any significant portion of our season. 

Wrong the Raiders are playing an uptempo Offense(Musgrave was Eagles QB coach last year,and they are  bringing some elements of that, to their offense) .   They are going to play like Carr played at Fresno.   Your Going to see them really Spread out a defense .  Something like this .  Amari Cooper and Michael Crabtree on the outside with Two TE Walford and Lee Smith run downs / M Rivera on passing downs. (they could line up as H-back.     With Latavius Murray 6'3 225 4.36  as the single back.   Carr mostly going to be in the shotgun..     All their Rb's are capable of moving outside before the snap - all can catch (empty backfield)      That is just one of many options as they now have alot of options on offense  Very hard to sack Carr as he gets the football out real fast.

Excerpt Delrio interview 

Q: Regarding scheme, Bill Musgrave will implement some things Derek Carr did at Fresno State, what type of tempo will the Raider offense have?

JDR: We want to be able to play at whatever tempo we deem appropriate. They’ll be opportunities to slow it down to a snail’s pace. There will be opportunities to put the pedal down and go fast and in between. We want to be able top lay at the speed that we choose. Bill’s had experience going real fast and he’s had experience going real slow and being real deliberate. I think there are times in the game when you want to be able to take the air out of the ball and there are times when you want to put the pedal down and turn up the tempo. We want our football team to be able to handle both of those tempos and it’s good for us defensively as well.

Q: How do you get your offensive lineman ready to play from a conditioning standpoint, taper down? Philadelphia has a tapered-down line. How do you get offensive lineman ready to play?

JDR: We’ll get ’em in shape. Our guys need to get in shape across the board. I’d say every position. We’re looking for every position to be better going forward and we’re going to demand more. It will start with the conditioning aspect of it, the mental preparation of it. Regardless, you’ve got to be able to play fast and you’ve got to be able to put consecutive plays together to be any good at this game. We’re going to work hard at that aspect of it and that should not be an issue. We’ve got bigger guys, and we like that. We like size in our front, we like size in the offensive and defensive lines, and that size just needs to get in shape.

Wrong the Raiders are playing an uptempo Offense(Musgrave was Eagles QB coach last year,and they are  bringing some elements of that, to their offense) .   They are going to play like Carr played at Fresno.   Your Going to see them really Spread out a defense .  Something like this .  Amari Cooper and Michael Crabtree on the outside with Two TE Walford and Lee Smith run downs / M Rivera on passing downs. (they could line up as H-back.     With Latavius Murray 6'3 225 4.36  as the single back.   Carr mostly going to be in the shotgun..     All their Rb's are capable of moving outside before the snap - all can catch (empty backfield)      That is just one of many options as they now have alot of options on offense  Very hard to sack Carr as he gets the football out real fast.

Excerpt Delrio interview 

Q: Regarding scheme, Bill Musgrave will implement some things Derek Carr did at Fresno State, what type of tempo will the Raider offense have?

JDR: We want to be able to play at whatever tempo we deem appropriate. They’ll be opportunities to slow it down to a snail’s pace. There will be opportunities to put the pedal down and go fast and in between. We want to be able top lay at the speed that we choose. Bill’s had experience going real fast and he’s had experience going real slow and being real deliberate. I think there are times in the game when you want to be able to take the air out of the ball and there are times when you want to put the pedal down and turn up the tempo. We want our football team to be able to handle both of those tempos and it’s good for us defensively as well.

Q: How do you get your offensive lineman ready to play from a conditioning standpoint, taper down? Philadelphia has a tapered-down line. How do you get offensive lineman ready to play?

JDR: We’ll get ’em in shape. Our guys need to get in shape across the board. I’d say every position. We’re looking for every position to be better going forward and we’re going to demand more. It will start with the conditioning aspect of it, the mental preparation of it. Regardless, you’ve got to be able to play fast and you’ve got to be able to put consecutive plays together to be any good at this game. We’re going to work hard at that aspect of it and that should not be an issue. We’ve got bigger guys, and we like that. We like size in our front, we like size in the offensive and defensive lines, and that size just needs to get in shape.

tl;dr

Archived