Is Matt Simms Gone? Or can Petty go to the developmental squad?

TuscanyTile2

Not sure how that works but personally I'm hoping Simms stays on the roster.  I still am a believer in the guy (the same way Villain believes in Glennon).  I think we actually need him as our 3rd stringer as Fitz could get hurt again and Geno is hot garbage.  I would love to see Simms get a chance and I could see it happening next year.  Obviously he has to be on our roster though.  I guess it's possible Simms goes to our developmental squad but I don't see him ever getting a chance if they really want Petty on the bench as our 3rd stringer.  Petty seems more appropriate for the developmental squad as he's probably not going to be ready for a year or two.  However, I don't know if putting him there means he's exposed for other teams to snatch away.  Anyone know?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or goes on to greatness elsewhere, like Brett Ratliff.

Brett never got a fair chance. He had Brady written all over him, but nobody let him take off his shirt. David Clowney would have been the faster version of Jerry Rice if he had hands...n a brain.

Simms has a lower ceiling and therefore he's gone.  He just doesn't have the size and arm strength to last in the NFL.  Looks like he puts his entire body into a 20 yard pass.

WTF? Simms has outstanding arm strength are you out of your mind? Every preseason the commentators point out the bullets he is throwing since it so unusual. His problem is he is can't get out of the pocket and decision making not ****ing arm strength. Oh yea and David Lee the QB coach pointed out he had by far the strongest arm in camp last year.

Yes, Simms is gone.

:(    

I like Simms. Kid got a rocket arm.  I would cut Smith, start Fitz, have Simms as the back up and sit Petty as the 3rd stringer.  Clean house, mop the floor, dust the shelves.

Get rid everything and every one of Idziot's failures.  Its the only way to be sure.

Here is how the JETS QB roster stands as of today.

Petty will not see the field in his rookie season. He is just too raw to be on the NFL field right now.

Fitz is coming from a major injury. Not sure what the timetable of his return is but it could be possible that his rehab takes longer than expected.

So apart from Geno, Simms is the only QB that could step on a NFL field if we need him. Infact the more i think about it the more it looks like it's because of this the JETS had to sign Jake Heaps.

While its early days, i do not see the JETS carrying more than 3 QB's. And Petty cannot be hidden on a PS.

So if Fitz cannot play at start of the season, it could be possible that the JETS have Geno, Simms, Petty in that order with Heaps on PS and Fitz on some kind of IR(forget the designation) where he can stay there for a few weeks.

Once Fitz comes back the depth chart could look like: Fitz, Geno, Petty with Simms on the PS if he is eligible like last year. But if SImms is not eligible for PS than he will be CUT.

WTF? Simms has outstanding arm strength are you out of your mind? Every preseason the commentators point out the bullets he is throwing since it so unusual. His problem is he is can't get out of the pocket and decision making not ****ing arm strength. Oh yea and David Lee the QB coach pointed out he had by far the strongest arm in camp last year.

i am aware that he throws fast but he has no range, very few of his deeper passes get completed.  Petty a much better guy to fling it around in the NFL.

Worst backpedal of all time. 

not a backpedal, that's just how I feel about him.  I've seen him plenty, including up close from 60 feet away in NFL game action.  It's not about pure speed of the ball, it's also about release point and the angle at which the ball comes in, neither of which are favorable for Simms with his smaller frame.

The reason he throws the ball so hard is because he puts his entire body into the pass.  That is compensation for his naturally small frame, which gives him poor natural velocity. It's not just about speed.  Because of that, he loses his accuracy and has no touch on his pass.  I don't want a QB who only throws it fast because he puts his entire body into the throw and can't be accurate because he sacrifices other stuff.

Here is how the JETS QB roster stands as of today.

Petty will not see the field in his rookie season. He is just too raw to be on the NFL field right now.

Fitz is coming from a major injury. Not sure what the timetable of his return is but it could be possible that his rehab takes longer than expected.

So apart from Geno, Simms is the only QB that could step on a NFL field if we need him. Infact the more i think about it the more it looks like it's because of this the JETS had to sign Jake Heaps.

While its early days, i do not see the JETS carrying more than 3 QB's. And Petty cannot be hidden on a PS.

So if Fitz cannot play at start of the season, it could be possible that the JETS have Geno, Simms, Petty in that order with Heaps on PS and Fitz on some kind of IR(forget the designation) where he can stay there for a few weeks.

Once Fitz comes back the depth chart could look like: Fitz, Geno, Petty with Simms on the PS if he is eligible like last year. But if SImms is not eligible for PS than he will be CUT.

There are pics and video on jets site showing Fitz doing squats....think he will be fine for training camp

not a backpedal, that's just how I feel about him.  I've seen him plenty, including up close from 60 feet away in NFL game action.  It's not about pure speed of the ball, it's also about release point and the angle at which the ball comes in, neither of which are favorable for Simms with his smaller frame.

The reason he throws the ball so hard is because he puts his entire body into the pass.  That is compensation for his naturally small frame, which gives him poor natural velocity. It's not just about speed.  Because of that, he loses his accuracy and has no touch on his pass.  I don't want a QB who only throws it fast because he puts his entire body into the throw and can't be accurate because he sacrifices other stuff.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/423314-the-manning-passing-academy-the-grades-are-in

The Manning Academy says you're wrong. Second to Kaepernick. Bigger arm than Luck. 

http://thejetpress.com/2013/08/31/analyzing-matt-simms-new-york-jets-first-nfl-start/

Matt Simms has unquestionable arm strength. Just look at the tape from the other night. There wasn’t a throw that he couldn’t make. The short passes were strong, and the long ones went the distance with ease. Not only did they get there, the majority of them were accurate. Some he did overthrow, but we are talking about arm strength here. No questions about this part of his game.

http://cover32.com/jets/2013/08/28/matt-simms-and-the-jets-battle-for-the-third-qb-spot/

But what we can do is marvel over his arm strength. We got a chance Saturday night to see Simms air one out to Spadola in overtime, a 70-yard pass that the quarterback made while running to his right.

Read more at http://cover32.com/jets/2013/08/28/matt-simms-and-the-jets-battle-for-the-third-qb-spot/#LDgbxKIvyWViz2vU.99

Just give up.

If he's got such an amazing arm then why can't he get playing time?  Most QBs can throw it hard if they really want to.  But it's tough to do it with consistent accuracy.  Simms doesn't have to physical makeup to be the gunslinger he tries to be.  Which is why he can't get on the field.

Simms reminds me of Jimmy Clausen a lot. He's got everything but he just makes completely boneheaded throws/decisions every once in a while. In terms of arm talent and intangibles I think he can be an NFL starter, he just has to take care of the ball and not force things that aren't there. Maybe that was just him being young trying to take advantage of the limited opportunities young QB's like him get in the NFL, trying to make an impression. But he can't do that. Jimmy Clausen has learned from his mistakes as a rookie. A couple years later and he's a completely different guy. Takes care of the ball, very accurate. He looked really good last year with the Bears. Simms is in his 3rd year now, he's 26, if he doesn't get it now it's probably the end of the road for him.

And for the love of God, enough with this arm strength crap. The guy has a laser, he's firing bullets.

If he's got such an amazing arm then why can't he get playing time? Most QBs can throw it hard if they really want to. But it's tough to do it with consistent accuracy. Simms doesn't have to physical makeup to be the gunslinger he tries to be. Which is why he can't get on the field.

What are you talking about? He's 6'3" 210+.

We don't need to settle on our roster / practice squad till much nearer the season. Well know by then where Fitz is at with his health. If he can't go in camp they could put him on the PUP list and keep Simms as backup, but I doubt it'll be that bad.

Not sure how that works but personally I'm hoping Simms stays on the roster.  I still am a believer in the guy (the same way Villain believes in Glennon).  I think we actually need him as our 3rd stringer as Fitz could get hurt again and Geno is hot garbage.  I would love to see Simms get a chance and I could see it happening next year.  Obviously he has to be on our roster though.  I guess it's possible Simms goes to our developmental squad but I don't see him ever getting a chance if they really want Petty on the bench as our 3rd stringer.  Petty seems more appropriate for the developmental squad as he's probably not going to be ready for a year or two.  However, I don't know if putting him there means he's exposed for other teams to snatch away.  Anyone know?

What developmental squad?  There is a practice squad and it might as well be a waiver wire.

Just give up.

It was a hard throw across his body, but he didn't throw it 70 yards in the air; it was 40 yards. The other 30 was Spadola's RAC.

Now it was 40 yards on a rope while running, but it's not that unique a feat as though there are only a handful of guys who could make the throw. 70 yards is quite another thing (though I think Boller did around that from his knees some years ago, through the uprights from the 50 or something like that). 

Also that 2nd-strongest arm thing? It was 2nd-strongest among a group of him and some other college QBs (no-arm Greg McElroy being one of them). When I first read your post you made it sound like he had the 2nd strongest in the league or in Manning Academy history, after Kaepernick, rather than merely the 2nd-strongest among a small group who were entering the 2010 college season. 

Some names you may recognize:

Stanford’s Andrew Luck, Florida State’s Christian Ponder, TCU’s Andy Dalton, Tennessee’s Matt Simms (yep, Chris’ brother, transfer from Louisville via JUCO), Houston’s Case Keenum, Boise State’s Kellen Moore, Texas A&M’s Jerrod Johnson, LSU’s Jordan Jefferson, Alabama’s Greg McElroy, North Carolina's T.J. Yates, and Nevada’s Colin Kaepernick.

Ryan Mallet, Jacory Harris, Jake Locker, and Terrelle Pryor were all invited but didn’t attend.

Two of the four who didn't attend (Mallett & Locker) would have likely pushed Simms down from 2nd to 4th. Not a knock on Simms's arm strength, but arguably the 2 biggest arms not being in attendance - not to mention glossing over that it was only a select group of 2010 college players including those with noodle arms - means 2nd place is not as impressive as it was made to sound.

Barring injury, or something else similarly unexpected, Simms isn't making the team. I'm sure they'll keep him around for a while, as there's no real benefit to cutting him today, and the only snaps he's going to rob are from Petty who's it seems is holding a clipboard no matter what. Only serious chance Simms has of making the roster is if someone else gets injured or goes mental (or unless he's dramatically improved beyond reasonable expectation). Plus I think he's still eligible for the PS under the new rules, making it even more pointless to hold a roster spot for him.

Archived