la'el collins meets with Rex Ryan

jgb

La'el Collins meets with Bills coach Rex Ryan
  • By Around The NFL staff
  • Published: May 4, 2015 at 10:15 p.m.
  • Updated: May 5, 2015 at 07:40 a.m.

After going undrafted this past weekend, LSU offensive tackle La'el Collins had an impromptu dinner meeting with Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan on Monday, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported according to a source informed of the situation. The Advocate first reported the news.  

The Cowboys and Dolphins are also among the teams interested in Collins, Rapoport added.

Collins is currently working to clear his name in a police investigation in Louisiana. Collins met Baton Rouge police Monday as part of the investigation into the murder of Brittany Mills. Collins is not a suspect in the case. Mills, 29, was pregnant at the time of her death and had a previous relationship with Collins.

Collins is free to sign a three-year contract as an undrafted free agent with any team.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000491057/article/lael-collins-meets-with-bills-coach-rex-ryan

apparently rex thinks he can convert to DL

Don't understand why the Jets aren't on his list.  I'd sign the guy in a heart beat.   I would have used one of those 7th round picks on him

if you did that, he would sit for a year and re-enter draft next year and probably be a 2nd round pick.

Could have justifiably been picked at 6... then this stuff happened. Jets don't even make an effort at him meanwhile one injury at OL and we could be an absolute disaster. Now my guess is he's going to either the Bills or Fins.

Why don't we wait to make sure he's not a candidate for murder before complaining about failing to signing a potential Aaron Hernandez.

Could have justifiably been picked at 6... then this stuff happened. Jets don't even make an effort at him meanwhile one injury at OL and we could be an absolute disaster. Now my guess is he's going to either the Bills or Fins.

Rex had an unsactioned meeting with Collins.  I wouldn't make much of it other than Rex being Rex.  I'm sure Jets inquired but through appropriate channels.  They said almost every team in the NFL has reached out in some capacity.

I would assume he is going to want to stay in the south.  In that case I'd say Cowboys or Dolphins are gonna be a fit for him.

We don't know if the Jets have made an effort.  Remember the first day and a half of free agency and so many people complained we were doing nothing while players where being signed and then we learned that we did go after Lupati and actually offered him more than he signed for.  MAc is quiet and so far hasn't really had many leaks out there.

if you did that, he would sit for a year and re-enter draft next year and probably be a 2nd round pick.

According to this, and other articles I've read, No can do

La'el Collins goes undrafted, not eligible for '16 draft

By Conor Orr

Around The NFL Writer

Published: May 2, 2015 at 06:42 p.m. Updated: May 4, 2015 at 12:10 p.m.

LSU's La'el Collins, once thought of as a likely first-round pick, was not selected at all during the 2015 NFL Draft.

Collins is scheduled to meet with Baton Rouge (Louisiana) police in connection with the shooting death of a 29-year-old pregnant woman, Brittany Mills. He is not a suspect in the case, and had a previous relationship with Mills. NFL Media's Albert Breer reported Collins will meet with authorities after the draft.

Collins' representatives had told clubs that Collins would refuse to sign with a team that drafted him outside the third round and that Collins would simply re-enter the draft in 2016. However, that is not an option according to NFL rules, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Saturday. Teams were wary of drafting Collins until they know more information. The opinion across football has been relatively simple: Wait until the investigation process runs its course.

Collins' case is unprecedented in part because of the timing and because of his talent on the field. His playing comparison to Maurkice Pouncey and a brutal display of power and body control on film made him a no-brainer for so many teams coming into the draft that were looking for help across their offensive line.

Marc Ross, the Giants' director of college scouting, summed the process up perfectly: "We thought about La'el the whole time, because he's sitting up there," he told reporters in East Rutherford, New Jersey, on Saturday. "But we were going to pass on that."

Collins will theoretically be available to sign as an undrafted free agent if he is cleared legally. But the amount that a team could pay him would be heavily limited by NFL rules governing undrafted free agents.

So for now, as we enter a white-knuckle period for player reps who are rapidly fielding calls for undrafted free agents, Collins' status remains a mystery.

NFL general managers were first informed about the situation on Tuesday, according to Rapoport. Included in the note to GMs was information that a woman Collins knew, Mills, was murdered. Mills was pregnant and the baby initially survived, but the infant died Friday, per Baton Rouge police. The police are now trying to determine parental responsibility. The note said that Collins had not contacted Mills since September.

Collins' representatives had told clubs that Collins would refuse to sign with a team that drafted him outside the third round and that Collins would simply re-enter the draft in 2016. However, that is not an option according to NFL rules, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Saturday. Teams were wary of drafting Collins until they know more information. The opinion across football has been relatively simple: Wait until the investigation process runs its course.

If he had been selected, he could've chosen not to sign and then re-enter the draft next year. Because he wasn't drafted, he's not allowed to re-enter next year's draft. So it was actually rather savvy for his agents to announce he wouldn't sign if he was taken outside of the third round, he wouldn't sign. He'll reach free agency a year sooner as a rookie free agent, and reportedly will make as much as a high second round pick over the first four years of us NFL career if plays to the level of a first rounder.

Collins needs to be drafted in order to re-enter the draft

Posted by Mike Florio on May 2, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT

The confusing case of LSU tackle La’El Collins has clarity in one major respect: If Collins isn’t drafted on Saturday, he can’t re-enter the draft in 2016.

Per the league office, there’s only one way to re-enter the draft. A player must be drafted and the sit out the year without signing a contract. If Collins isn’t drafted today, Collins becomes a free agent until he signs a contract.

Which means that his situation will be no different in 2015 or 2016, if he’s not drafted. He’ll be an undrafted free agent, subject to the rookie pool, which limits the compensation teams can provide to undrafted free agents.

So the goal, we’re told, for Collins remains to be drafted, to sit out the year, and then to re-enter the draft. But unless there’s a team willing to throw away a pick (possibly in exchange for some sort of a wink-nod, back-scratching arrangement), he’s not getting drafted this year.

The Collins camp supposedly has a plan for making it all work in a way that allows him to avoid the rookie pool. The first objective remains to get him fully exonerated in a murder case that now involves two victims.

It still remains possible that a team will take a flier on Collins in the hopes that he gets cleared and then decides to play in 2015. If that’s going to happen, we’ll know the answer at some point today.

The city of Buffalo would be my first choice.

He's probably sick of etouffee, gumbo and jambalaya, not to mention muffaletta  and po'boys,   Trading it all in for beef on weck and wings.   Jeannie's commentary on the culinary magic of Buffalo in 3-2-1...  :happy0069:

Archived