The last few months as a Jets fan...

ComfortablyNumb

Is it just me or a have things really been going the way we've always hoped but never really quite felt they should have transpired? I can't remember a draft so well received as long as I've been a fan going back to '82. The moves being made make so much sense it just begs the pessimistic SOJ in all of us to try and find a negative spin because we are Jetfans and that's life. The foundation being laid now will pave the way for sustained success for many years to come as long as Mac and Bowles stay together. I'm hoping that this Jet lifer can finally witness the success we've longed for. Too optimistic perhaps? I don't know....

I think this offseason has been especially brilliant. Not only did we turn maybe the weakest secondary in the NFL to maybe the best overall, we did it without mortgaging the future at all. And the draft was brilliant. And we fired Rex. We fired David Lee. We fired Terry F'n Bradway finally. We hired a football guy not a bean counter as GM. We hired a potentially great HC> We fired Idzik. It has been the best offseason ever.

Not trying to be negative here, but Mac walked in to a situation where he had plenty of good to excellent talent (Mangold, Brick, Mo, Snack, Sheldon, Harris, Davis, Ivory, Decker n the promising Amaro), and had $50+ mil in cap space (equivalent to about 5 excellent starters around the team. He also had some high draft picks.

Pieces were there for Mac to improve the team drastically, n Took advantage of that. If you look at our 2014 season, we lost a few games due to some bad calls, some bad play calling (Miami game, MM TO etc) n two against Pats due to blocked FGs. That stuff doesn't happen every year. We were an 7-8 win team last year. We are 9-10 win team this year.

Not trying to be negative here, but Mac walked in to a situation where he had plenty of good to excellent talent (Mangold, Brick, Mo, Snack, Sheldon, Harris, Davis, Ivory, Decker n the promising Amaro), and had $50+ mil in cap space (equivalent to about 5 excellent starters around the team. He also had some high draft picks.

Pieces were there for Mac to improve the team drastically, n Took advantage of that. If you look at our 2014 season, we lost a few games due to some bad calls, some bad play calling (Miami game, MM TO etc) n two against Pats due to blocked FGs. That stuff doesn't happen every year. We were an 7-8 win team last year. We are 9-10 win team this year.

Meh. The GM last year had $30M in cap space and 12 draft picks - and the team got worse!

Meh. The GM last year had $30M in cap space and 12 draft picks - and the team got worse!

Exactly. having high draft picks and money do not make the job a slam dunk as we've seen so many times before. The choices Mac made with the money and picks was very well done. he turned 6 draft picks into 6 college players, Brandon Marshall, Posey and Stacy. Not too bad IMO.

I'm just wondering Bowles can coach. That's where my concern is.

We have an off-season like this every few years. Stop.

Oohhh new coach, new identity!

Oohhhhh traded for Sanchize!

Ooooooohhhhh traded for Favre!

Ooooohhhhh mangenius! Spygate!

It's good to feel good about what we've seen so far, but temper expectations until you see what they can do on the field... Not on paper and certainly not in a press conference. We've been duped before.

It's good to feel good about what we've seen so far, but temper expectations until you see what they can do on the field... Not on paper and certainly not in a press conference. We've been duped before.

Why temper their expectations?  It's cool to watch them go nuts.  They get a shock every single time, but the rats still go for the cheese

Starting to feel what a real team and organization is all about.

I lived in Buffalo in the 1990s during those incredible runs for the SB and this is how they conducted their football operations.  Does it guarantee success?  Absolutely not!

The truth is Bowles for example could suck or key players could sustain injuries and so on. 

Nevertheless this is the way a franchise that wants to compete year and year out must conduct its business. 

Killjoy :Nuts:

That was part of the plan, this year called for 1-15, 1st pick in draft to land our qb, and 120M in cap space ..

Typically the team that wins the offseason doesnt win during the regular season.

Hope that's not the case but you cant be disappointed about how much more talent is now on the roster compared to the dumpster fire of the last 2 years. 

That one was actually smart.  It rid us of Pennington, and led us to an 8-3 record before his injury.  Not our fault Favre tore his bicep.  And now, for the first time since '08, we've brought in a capable veteran QB to lead the charge once again.  Not on Favre's level at all but the right call for this franchise until we finally find the right QB in the draft.

We're a 4-12 rebuilding team on a 3 year plan and we have to be thrilled with the progress we've made so far.  The important thing is that the demeanor of our GM is certainly more aggressive and decisive and he's a football guy, not a number cruncher.  That's huge.

If we go from 4-12 to 7-9 and show progress in deficient areas and find our head coach is up to the task that's a great season.  I know that our schedule on paper it looks like 10 wins wouldn't be too hard, but we've got to keep those expectations in check and go in hoping for .500 and then let's see what happens.  It's all about Fitzpatrick.  If he pulls a Testaverde '98 out of his hat we can win the division.  If he's damaged and it's on Geno, we're nowhere obviously.

SAR I

Why temper their expectations?  It's cool to watch them go nuts.  They get a shock every single time, but the rats still go for the cheese

Jets fans are conditioned to this:

Kotite disaster.  Parcells gets us to the playoffs.

Groh disaster.  Edwards gets us to the playoffs.

Edwards disaster.  Mangini gets us to the playoffs.

Mangini disaster.  Ryan gets us to the playoffs.

Going back to 1996, that's 20 seasons, every time the Jets swap head coaches, boom, it's an unexpected playoff berth.  All signs point to the possibility again.

SAR I

You have to like the moves that have been made- a plan and structure in place- will it all work out- of course not- not every draft pick or free agent is going to be  a sucess- we are on the right path to rebuild the team though

That's not really a fair comparison. On one hand, you have the stingy, possibly league worst GM in Izdik. On the other hand, you have a smart GM that has done excellent so far.

Well we didn't have 7-8 wins last year. As far as MAC goes, he has done an excellent job in setting the table. It is now up to Bowles to evaluate and coach these guys. I'm very optimistic.

As am I. And I know we didn't have those wins last year. But we should have defeated the Pats twice (you don't see blocked FGs everyday), Bears, Packers and Lions if I recall correctly. We lost those games by a few bad calls towards the end (The TO that should not have been allowed, and some blatant PI calls in the last 2 minutes that were not called). This team was not sh*t last year, but it just played like sh*t.

SOJF douche.

Archived