DREAMING...Russell Wilson

BrickTamland

Forgive me for this stupid, crazy, never gonna happen thought, but...imagine that the Russell Wilson deal in Seattle continues to fail. He threatens to hold out. We leak info that we would pay him something in the range of 24 mill per year in 2016 and beyond, with insane guarantees. We also give him and added extra 5-6 mill for this year's salary (we cut Babin, Pace, Cumberland). This idea gets traction in the news. It creates greater friction in Seattle. They reach out to us, asking what is happening. We say that we don't know, but we are always interested in acquiring good players. We offer:

Leonard Williams, DL

Quinton Coples, DL

Geno Smith

Jeremy Kerley

2016 Round 1 Pick

2016 Round 3 Pick

Why it simply won't happen: SB-winning franchise QBs simply don't get traded, especially when they don't have/are not receiving a QB that can play at least decently.

Why it would make sense for the Jets:

Duh. We finally get a QB and a legit chance at making a run. We lose Williams, but we know we already know life without him. We lose Coples, but we have Mauldin and IK to play OLB in 3-4, where Cples was odd-man-out anyway. We lose Kerley, but he was porbably going to be relegated to our number 4 soon anyway because of the addition of Smith. One of Evans, Posey, Owusu, etc. must step up. We lose Geno (who cares). We incur a cap hit of about 2million from Kerley. We don't really get a cap hit from the Smith/Coples situation. We lose the draft picks...

We have the CAP maneuverability to sign Wilson to a crazy deal (5 years, 120 million--mostly guaranteed). Dropping Coples saves us his option money in 2016. Mangold and Brick also have crazy cap hits; they can be released, traded, or restructured. Cromartie can be dropped after this year saving us a ton in 2016 and beyond. Cap goes up...we manage to get through it, and even have the resources to keep Mo, if he will negotiate reasonably with the knowledge that he plays on a Super Bowl contender.

Why it would make sense for the Seahawks:

Their success is largely predicated on Defense. They are getting arguably best player from the draft to play for peanuts for years. They are getting Coples, who has shown flashes, and can be at least a role player in their scheme; he's signed through 2016. They are getting Geno, who is athletically in the mold of Wilson, though we know he probably will not amount to much--reason deal would never happen. They are getting a #3/4 receiver in Kerley, which they could use because their receivers are meh. Finally, they are getting some nice picks, which they can use to move up in the draft for a new QB if Geno continues to suck.

Edit: Maybe it should have been Wilkerson instead of Williams, for our sake. We lose the worry of having to pay him. They are now able to afford an extension, and they know that they are getting a proven NFL talent. FTR I would make the deal either way.

Not gunna happen. Seattle would look like Ferguson, MO the day Wilson was allowed to leave he is a God there.

Fine by me.  Let them overpay the sh*t out of the guy and chalk them up as one more franchise the NFL won't have to worry about for a while when it comes to competing for free agents or having the ability to keep the talent they have. 

Wilson is real good, but given how much leverage he has right now, he isn't really close to being as good as the money he's about to get paid.

Not gunna happen. Seattle would look like Ferguson, MO the day Wilson was allowed to leave he is a God there.

I agree. But the thought was in my head. Had to say it out loud (type it up in a Jets forum). More fun than studying for finals.

Forgive me for this stupid, crazy, never gonna happen thought, but...imagine that the Russell Wilson deal in Seattle continues to fail. He threatens to hold out. We leak info that we would pay him something in the range of 24 mill per year in 2016 and beyond, with insane guarantees. We also give him and added extra 5-6 mill for this year's salary (we cut Babin, Pace, Cumberland). This idea gets traction in the news. It creates greater friction in Seattle. They reach out to us, asking what is happening. We say that we don't know, but we are always interested in acquiring good players. We offer:

Leonard Williams, DL

Quinton Coples, DL

Geno Smith

Jeremy Kerley

2016 Round 1 Pick

2016 Round 3 Pick

Why it simply won't happen: SB-winning franchise QBs simply don't get traded, especially when they don't have/are not receiving a QB that can play at least decently.

Why it would make sense for the Jets:

Duh. We finally get a QB and a legit chance at making a run. We lose Williams, but we know we already know life without him. We lose Coples, but we have Mauldin and IK to play OLB in 3-4, where Cples was odd-man-out anyway. We lose Kerley, but he was porbably going to be relegated to our number 4 soon anyway because of the addition of Smith. One of Evans, Posey, Owusu, etc. must step up. We lose Geno (who cares). We incur a cap hit of about 2million from Kerley. We don't really get a cap hit from the Smith/Coples situation. We lose the draft picks...

We have the CAP maneuverability to sign Wilson to a crazy deal (5 years, 120 million--mostly guaranteed). Dropping Coples saves us his option money in 2016. Mangold and Brick also have crazy cap hits; they can be released, traded, or restructured. Cromartie can be dropped after this year saving us a ton in 2016 and beyond. Cap goes up...we manage to get through it, and even have the resources to keep Mo, if he will negotiate reasonably with the knowledge that he plays on a Super Bowl contender.

Why it would make sense for the Seahawks:

Their success is largely predicated on Defense. They are getting arguably best player from the draft to play for peanuts for years. They are getting Coples, who has shown flashes, and can be at least a role player in their scheme; he's signed through 2016. They are getting Geno, who is athletically in the mold of Wilson, though we know he probably will not amount to much--reason deal would never happen. They are getting a #3/4 receiver in Kerley, which they could use because their receivers are meh. Finally, they are getting some nice picks, which they can use to move up in the draft for a new QB if Geno continues to suck.

Edit: Maybe it should have been Wilkerson instead of Williams, for our sake. We lose the worry of having to pay him. They are now able to afford an extension, and they know that they are getting a proven NFL talent. FTR I would make the deal either way.

Wait wait wait...have you heard of a franchise tag? If so, why bother creating such a thread?

Fine by me.  Let them overpay the sh*t out of the guy and chalk them up as one more franchise the NFL won't have to worry about for a while when it comes to competing for free agents or having the ability to keep the talent they have. 

Wilson is real good, but given how much leverage he has right now, he isn't really close to being as good as the money he's about to get paid.

it is impossible to overpay for a true franchise QB considering there are only like 8 of them.

it is impossible to overpay for a true franchise QB considering there are only like 8 of them.

Of course it's possible to overpay.  SEE:  Flacco, Joe.  A franchise QB is partly defined by the ability to elevate the level of his team's play, I.E. make up for the fact that he's making a sh*t-ton of money, leaving very little for the rest of the roster.  We're about to see if Wilson really has the goods after he signs this new contract.  He has more leverage than even Flacco had because of how loved he is.  He's the highest valued player in the entire league.  In reality, he's a Top 10 QB.  Top 5?  Nope.  And he's about to be paid like he's a top 2 QB.

Therefore I say, yes, it's very possible they'll end up overpaying Wilson, and down the road regretting doing so.  Better them than us, I say.

Of course it's possible to overpay.  SEE:  Flacco, Joe.  A franchise QB is partly defined by the ability to elevate the level of his team's play, I.E. make up for the fact that he's making a sh*t-ton of money, leaving very little for the rest of the roster.  We're about to see if Wilson really has the goods after he signs this new contract.  He has more leverage than even Flacco had because of how loved he is.  He's the highest valued player in the entire league.  In reality, he's a Top 10 QB.  Top 5?  Nope.  And he's about to be paid like he's a top 2 QB.

Therefore I say, yes, it's very possible they'll end up overpaying Wilson, and down the road regretting doing so.  Better them than us, I say.

0389e2043d84c5a48362892147741a843bff7ad3

I still love you though!

Flacco Won them a SB . They Ravens will never regret it . Just like the Seahawks never will after they pay Russell

0389e2043d84c5a48362892147741a843bff7ad3

I still love you though!

And see, this is a wider philosophical thing that I take issue with.  In American sports, too often athletes get paid for what they've DONE rather than what is expected they will DO going forward.  Does anyone here think Flacco will win another Super Bowl in his career?  How about Wilson, once all the talent around him is gone? 

Again, fine by me.  Reduce the ability for those types of teams to be threats.  It's real hard to find a top 5 QB who is actually worth the money he gets paid, but meanwhile it's become pretty easy to end up overpaying for a QB decidedly outside the elite group because of positional scarcity. 

Flacco, Kaep, Cutler, Alex Smith.....think those teams aren't experiencing a little buyer's remorse?  All of them make more money than Peyton Manning right now, and aren't too far behind Aaron Rodgers.

Wait wait wait...have you heard of a franchise tag? If so, why bother creating such a thread?

I created such a thread because i thought it might be a fun discussion.

The fact of the franchise tag buys them more time, but it doesn't get a deal done. The point of this thread was not that Seattle is desperate and needs to get a deal done right away. It was more, "There is a top tier qb who is not currently in a long-term deal, what kind of offer would it take to pry him away...Would it be worth the price for us, $-wise and player wise?"

As I made clear, I don't see it happening, at all. It is a thought.

I didn't know that the news about Patriots' continuous deception and cheating ways was going to break while I typed it up, and I was trying to get my Jets fix.

I don't love Flacco either. But I have to say that he has been insanely good, consistently, throughout the playoffs. In just a couple of years, when Manning (39) and Brady (38 by next season) and Brees (36) are gone, he is maybe 3rd behind Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson as far as who I want in the playoffs. (Luck maybe gets there; Rivers is ehh)

I don't love Flacco either. But I have to say that he has been insanely good, consistently, throughout the playoffs. In just a couple of years, when Manning (39) and Brady (38 by next season) and Brees (36) are gone, he is maybe 3rd behind Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson as far as who I want in the playoffs. (Luck maybe gets there; Rivers is ehh)

It's bizarre how good he can be in the playoffs.  My only hypothesis is that, in general, defenses tend to get more conservative in the playoffs because of the fear of making mistakes.  Flacco, who apparently doesn't give a sh*t and has always thrown a great deep ball, has the stones to take some chances.  Or, perhaps he just has that 2nd gear that some QB's have (That kind of "second gear" ability is something I'll be looking for out of Cam Newton in the coming years).

Either way it'll cost the Ravens opportunities at GETTING to the playoffs if he can't overcome being simply an average or below average regular season QB.

I agree. But the thought was in my head. Had to say it out loud (type it up in a Jets forum). More fun than studying for finals.

You can thank Woody and Tanny for trading for Tebow when Rex and Bradway wanted Wilson.

Archived