Macca On With Francesa At 2PM

SAR I

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just started.

"How many run-throughs did you do where you had Leonard Williams at #6?"

Look a lot a mock-drafts for regional beat writers making associations to local team needs. Never saw one with Leonard making it to us. They assumed Washington took Leonard or traded him. Never thought he'd get to us. Mac gives long, well-thought answers to simple questions. It sort of neutralizes Francessa from bull rushing him.

"a lot of rumors and buzz, was there any truth to flirtations with top 2 QBs?"

We reached out to all in front of us, all behind us, found that Tampa wasn't going to budge and Tennessee cost was prohibitive. Due diligence, basically.

"did you get an offer you almost gave up Williams for?"

There were offers, some fair, but nothing to make them not take the player. Didn't want to pass on a very good player, to get a good player, etc.

"... Devin Smith"

Ability and fit/need made sense, brought complementary element to team and position group.

"... Lorenzo Maudlin"

Were entertaining offers from several teams. Grouping of players that they were originally considering before the trade, including Mauldin. Potential to be a starting OLB. Love his character, quickness, power and strength. 

"... did you go into the draft saying 'I've got to get a QB' or what?"

Tried to be disciplined, didn't want to reach or factor in their own need. They liked Bryce when building their board and like where they got him. Lots of action at our pick at top of 4th. Has all the physical attributes, when other QBs went, they had other players we ranked higher. Knew other teams were trying to come up for Bryce. Been in a lot of drafts where player you want goes 1 pick before you. We did equal work on all of the QBs after MM and JW. Our QB coach had Mannion and Petty on senior bowl team, internal exposure.

It's obvious that Francesa likes MacCagnan.  He's actually letting him speak!!!

lol  Maybe the most annoying part of any Francesa interview.  He just keeps repeating and rephrasing the question a thousand times over.  All the while interrupting any response.  What a tool.

This guy really likes his job.

Seriously.

Also, I love how he just killed Francessa with kindness. Like Kryptonite.

Mac, to Francessa, "Anything I can do for you Mike, let me know."

Seriously.

Also, I love how he just killed Francessa with kindness. Like Kryptonite.

Mac, to Francessa, "Anything I can do for you Mike, let me know."

Yeah, when and Mike brought up Deflategate Mac says it's a league issue and he's been so busy with the draft anyway. As cordial as he is he really doesn't show his hand too often. Obviously he has an opinion on the issue but doesn't say it.

The guy has an air of competence. 

Well said.  Could not agree more.  His answers are thoughtful, honest, yet measured (where he kept deferring to Bowles as to who will start or what type of offense they will have)

Tannenbaum did all he could to be as vague as possible and all the last guy did in interviews or press conferences was drool all over himself like some kind of mush mouth.

The bottom line is that when you listen to him, you are happy that he is the one making the personnel decisions in that building.  He gives you reason to be hopeful.  This is no guarantee of success of course, but I have a renewed faith in the front office that I do not think I have had since Parcells left. 

Macagnon admitted there was a guy the really wanted after trading down that got picked a few spots ahead. He was probably referring to Eli Harold.

He also mentioned the team that was trying to trade up (the browns) stopped after their pick pretty much accusing Pettine of lying. Pettine said after they were trying to trade up but were targeting a different player not Bryce Petty.

Macagnon admitted there was a guy the really wanted after trading down that got picked a few spots ahead. He was probably referring to Eli Harold.

He also mentioned the team that was trying to trade up (the browns) stopped after their pick pretty much accusing Pettine of lying. Pettine said after they were trying to trade up but were targeting a different player not Bryce Petty.

He is very honest which i like.  Personally i didnt mind trading down, buts its obvious Mac is a little mad at himself.  He still had a killer draft

Or Mannion.

He couldn't of, the board "elite" insisted that maudlin was rated higher.

He also mentioned the team that was trying to trade up (the browns) stopped after their pick pretty much accusing Pettine of lying. Pettine said after they were trying to trade up but were targeting a different player not Bryce Petty.

I'll bet it was Duke and not Harold. Harold was projected as an early to mid 2nd almost everywhere. To assume he would last another 12 picks to the mid third round would be foolhardy. On the other hand, Duke was supposed to a 3rd round RB. Much greater chance he falls 12 spots than Harold.

Or Mannion.

Doubt that. In a different interview the other day, Mac said that Petty was the 3rd ranked QB on their board. Unless he's fibbing about where they had Mannion or Grayson ranked, I think it was Duke.

Archived