" Jets QB Situation Is Clear " ~ ~ ~

kelly

-- Willie Colon applied some pressure on Geno Smith off the field Tuesday, and Ryan Fitzpatrick did the same on the field Wednesday.Colon compared the New York Jets' current roster to a Porsche, and said regarding Smith, "We've given him the keys, he can't crash it."

Fitzpatrick -- currently second on the quarterback depth chart behind Smith -- continued to look good during the Jets' latest organized team activities (OTAs), including a long run from scrimmage and a 50-yard touchdown pass to Eric Decker during 7-on-7 drills, the highlight of the day.Head coach Todd Bowles continues to say Smith is his starter, but that's certainly not set in stone."You don't go into [training] camp having two first-team guys," Bowles said. "Geno's the first-team quarterback -- it’s Ryan's job to take it, it's Geno's job to [not] lose it. If he doesn't lose it, and Ryan doesn't take it, he's the starter."

Fitzpatrick, acquired by the Jets from the Houston Texans in March, is still working his way back from a broken leg suffered late last season. But he got lots of reps on Wednesday behind Smith."His arm’s a little stronger, he’s getting healthier, obviously still knocking the rust off a little bit," Bowles said."But as far as understanding what to do and where to go, he’s a pretty sharp guy.""At this point I’m feeling pretty good," Fitzpatrick said. "There’s still treatments and daily soreness and stuff like that. ... [but] I’m feeling much better now, and I think that’s the goal every week, just to continue to feel better and better, and everything’s on track right now."

One advantage Fitzpatrick has over Smith is a familiarity with the offense that new coordinator Chan Gailey is installing. Fitzpatrick previously played under Gailey in Buffalo.Fitzpatrick has also been around the block -- the Jets are his sixth team as he enters his 11th season in the NFL -- and he was smart enough to not add more heat to a smoldering quarterback controversy Wednesday."This being my sixth different team and really sixth or seventh or eighth different situation that I’ve been in, in terms of being a 4 (on the depth chart) or a 3 or a 2 or a 1, I know I’ve got to be ready," Fitzpatrick said. "I'm always going to be ready, no matter what is said or what is not said. That’s kind of my approach."

He also sidestepped a question about Smith being No. 1 right now."With Coach Bowles, the thing that he’s made clear to everybody in this locker room is, you’re going to have to earn your spot," Fitzpatrick said. "If you look at the kind of coach he’s been, and the teams and successes he’s had with his defenses, he’s always played the best guys."We’re all in here trying to win, and so I think that’s certainly going to be the case, that he’s going to put the best guys out there."

Who's the Jets' best guy at quarterback? That remains to be seen. It's only June, and these are only OTAs.Smith still has the edge, but a lot can happen between now and September.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/51652/ryan-fitzpatrick-looking-better-and-better-at-jets-camp

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After Further Review : Why Jets are smart not to scrap Geno Smith yet

Geno Smith stinks.

Admit it, that's what most of you think. You look at his stats, his two-year record, and you immediately think the kid is a disaster and has no chance as the starting quarterback for the New York Jets.I have news for you: The 2014 tape says otherwise. It doesn't say he's a slam-dunk to be a 10-year starter for the Jets, or even a Pro Bowl player in the near future. What the tape shows is that Smith has a chance to be a solid NFL starter who could grow into more with a little time.Maybe that's why first-year Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey proclaimed Smith the starter two weeks ago, although coach Todd Bowles later said it would be an open competition with Smith getting the first shot to be the starter. Veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick and rookie Bryce Petty are the other challengers.

The Jets are doing the right thing by giving Smith the first chance. Fitzpatrick is a stopgap at best, and he's coming off a season cut short by a broken leg. Smith is learning a new offense, which is challenging, but at least he has more weapons with the addition of Brandon Marshall and rookie Devin Smith to go with Eric Decker and Jeremy Kerley.Smith has started 29 games in his two seasons with the Jets after being a 2014 second-round pick with a record of 11-18, which isn't good considering the Jets have been a good defensive team in those years. Smith has 25 touchdown passes and 34 interceptions and a completion percentage of 57.5, not exactly the type of numbers a team wants to see from a starting passer.There are signs of hope in the numbers, though. He threw six touchdown passes and three interceptions in the last six weeks of the 2014 season. His completion percentage in those games was 65.7 percent, which would place him in the top-10 in the league if he could do that over the course of a regular season. Over the last four weeks, Smith went 2-2 and threw for 358 yards, three scores and no picks in a 37-24 victory over Miami in the season finale.

I went back and studied that game, as well as his Week 16 loss to the New England Patriots and two earlier games, a Week 4 loss to the Lions and a Week 5 disaster that saw him benched against the San Diego Chargers after going 4-of-12 for 27 yards and an interception.Early in the 2014 season, Smith wasn't nearly as sure about what he was seeing from the defense, and his hesitation turned into trouble. He forced the ball at times and his mechanics waned with pressure, forcing him to be inaccurate.In the final two games I watched, that was changed. He was much more sure of what he was seeing and his mechanics were better, thus his accuracy improved. One thing I really liked on tape when watching Smith was how he moved in the pocket when pressure was around him, but did so to re-load -- not to get out and run.That's a curse that a lot of young quarterbacks have in their early years. They feel pressure, sometimes it's phantom pressure, and they want out. It's one read and run. With Smith, I saw a quarterback who felt the pressure and moved to throw, rather than take off and run.

There's a play in the Miami game in Week 17 from the third quarter where Smith's first read inside was taken away by the zone, two-deep look. With pressure coming from the outside, he stepped up and made a nice throw for a 50-yard completion to Decker. There was room for Smith to run, but he likely wouldn't have picked up the first down on a third-and-10 play. So when he was flushed, he kept his head up, took a shot, and it turned into a big play.There was much more of that as in the final five weeks. That's growth. He also did a better job of being patient and checking the ball down when his initial reads weren't there. That's smart. There is nothing wrong with a check-down when the first few reads aren't available. That's a mantra for a lot of good quarterbacks.

Another thing that improved was his pre-snap reads. Take a look at this play against Miami from the Week 17 game as an example.

Play: Third-and-10 at the Miami 26 with 11:45 left in the third quarter.

Offense: Posse (3WR, 1RB, 1TE) -- Back motioned out for an empty backfield with Smith in shotgun.

Defense: Nickel, man-to-man, zero coverage, six-man rush.

Smith took the snap with the knowledge that Cameron Wake would be a free runner from his right as Miami came with a six-man pressure. There was nobody to block Wake. So the ball had to get out fast. When he motioned running back Bilal Powell wide left, and safety Jordan Kovacs went with him, he knew he had man coverage.The play called for Powell to run hard inside and for Decker, lined up in the slot, to run a deep go route outside of him with the hope that it would be a little bit of pick play. As it turned out, Decker beat Cortland Finnegan early with a slight push and was able to get wide open. Smith stood in with Wake bearing down from his right and Dion Jordan pushing D'Brickashaw Ferguson into his face. He lofted a nice throw off his back foot that Decker hauled in for a 74-yard touchdown catch. The recognition was the key to the play. He saw it, read it, and then threw it. That's quarterbacking.Another thing I noticed about Smith later in the season was that he moved his head better, which means he read the field better. He would come off his first read quicker to get to the second and even the third. That's progress. That's a must in the modern NFL with so many pressure packages coming at a quarterback and different exotic looks in the secondary.

Here's a look at one of those plays against the Patriots in Week 16.

Play: Second and 10 at the Jets 26 with 10:04 left in the second quarter.

Offense: Posse (3WR, 1TE, 1RB Percy Harvin) -- Shotgun

Defense: Nickel, man-under, single-high safety

On this play, the Jets had Kerley in the slot on the right. Logan Ryan had him in man coverage. Kerley used a nice stop-and-go move to get open across the field. But what made the play was Smith's patience. You can see he wanted to go to Decker on a pivot route to the right, but Darrelle Revis ate it up. That forced Smith to come back to his left and hit Kerley with a dart for an 18-yard gain. What I liked about Smith on the play was the way he reset his feet before firing the ball to Kerley.Earlier in the season he wasn't as decisive getting off his initial reads. Here's a look at one such play that resulted in a pick against the Lions.On the play, Smith looked to his left initially to try and get the ball to Decker. But Decker was taken away by the Lions' zone look. If Smith had quickly come off Decker to his right, he would have seen Greg Salas open on a curl route. But he took too long. When he finally did come off Decker to make the throw to Salas, he had Ziggy Ansah bearing down on him and the ball sailed. Darius Slay picked it off for an easy turnover.Those are the types of plays Smith made as a rookie in 2013 and again early last season. But there were fewer of those types of mistakes in the final six games. He was more precise with his decisions. There was less hesitation on his throws. That's why I think there is potential for him. Now he has to take it to an even higher level.

If he doesn't, Smith will be benched at some point for Fitzpatrick or rookie fourth-round pick Petty and his Jets career will be over. That's what most expect will happen. I am not so sure.Geno Smith does some things that make you think he has a chance to be a solid NFL starter and late in 2014 he actually started to look like one. It's the right decision to see if he can be that guy for the long run. Let him play it out this season. The Jets have to find out if he's the guy.

> http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/25205261/after-further-review-why-jets-are-smart-not-to-scrap-geno-smith-yet?FTAG=YHF7e3228e

• 2 weeks later...

Late last week, both Super Bowl participants upgraded their backup quarterback spots.

The Seahawks re-signed Tarvaris Jackson, a much needed move because Pete Carroll was getting through OTAs with R.J. Archer as Russell Wilson's No. 2. And just in case Tom Brady's four-game suspension isn't overturned, the Patriots picked up Matt Flynn to be Jimmy Garappolo's backup.The league-wide thought on a quality backup quarterback is that they can win you three games once they get on the field, but if you play them six, they could lose you three. Going from an elite starter to a good backup takes a top team from 11 or 12 wins to eight or nine. That reflects in offensive scoring. An elite starter usually averages between 24 and 28 points per game. A top backup can get between 20 and 22 points.

Assuming Brian Hoyer (Browns), Matt Cassel (Bills), Josh McCown (Browns) and Geno Smith (Jets) end up with starting jobs this season, let's run down the list of top No. 2s. 

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick, New York Jets

Bill O'Brien got the most out of Fitzpatrick last season in Houston. He went 6-6 in his 12 starts, while the offense averaged 24 points per game. His Total QBR ranked 16th in 2013 (when he was in Tennessee) and 20th last season. He'll be waiting in the wings if Smith stumbles out of the gates.

rest of above article :

> http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13076658/ryan-fitzpatrick-new-york-jets-tops-john-clayton-ranking-best-backup-quarterbacks-nfl

Unlike David Garrard, who offered a less-than-effusive evaluation of Geno Smith in a television interview last month, Michael Vick stayed on the high road when questioned about his former New York Jets teammate."I think Geno just has to stay the course," Vick told the NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" on Tuesday night. "I think, without struggle, there's no progress, and I think he's been through that part throughout the first two years of his career."I think Geno just has to stay the course," Michael Vick said of Geno Smith. Al Bello/Getty Images"I watched him mature a lot down the stretch throughout the course of the year last year, and he started to get it," Vick continued. "I think some guys, it takes longer than others. I think going into Year 3, Geno can go in with some confidence, feeling good about the way he finished up last year and have an opportunity to go out there and show his teammates and show the Jets nation that he has it, he has what it takes and they're waiting to see it.”

Vick is right about one thing: Smith finished on an upbeat note.

Consider: In Weeks 1 to 12, Smith compiled a 27.6 QBR -- 31st in the NFL.From Weeks 13 to 17, his QBR was 49.8 -- 19th over that span.A 49.8 QBR is the definition of average, but, hey, it was an improvement, right? Smith showed resilience, rebounding from a three-game benching. Which brings us back to Vick.If Vick had created any semblance of a spark during his three-game stint, it might have been enough to keep Smith on the bench for the remainder of the season. Maybe Vick wouldn't be unemployed right now. Maybe Smith wouldn't be going to training camp as the first-team quarterback. Maybe Rex Ryan still would be ...

Oh, never mind. Let's not go that far.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52034/former-jets-backup-qb-michael-vick-praises-geno-smith

more re our QB dept.  :

~ ~  For rookie minicamp, the New York Jets bring in a series of temporary lockers that they park in the center of the locker room. These lockers are given to the rookies who were either draft picks or signed rookie free agent deals after going undrafted. No one is given a permanent locker yet like the veterans, they all live out of these temporary lockers until they make either the 53-man roster or the practice squad.

Then there is a ring of white chairs that surround those lockers. These are the tryout players, here at rookie minicamp without a contract and hoping just to make the team. They don't get a locker, just a chair, as they live out of their bookbags. It is stratification and status as these are the players who come to rookie minicamp with a dream. Most of them won't make it.On one of those chairs sat a playbook, a piece of tape with the name "Heaps" on the cover. It belongs to Jake Heaps and it was almost unfathomable five years ago that he would be here in rookie minicamp asa tryout player. In 2010, Heaps was considered a lock to be a first round pick as the high school senior was one of the most exciting quarterbacks in the nation.

Today, Heaps believes that he is still the same player who excited recruiting analysts and pulled in offers from the likes of Notre Dame, Florida State and Tennessee. Rivals.com once had him as the top quarterback in the nation and the No. 63 player in the recruiting class his senior year. But after three college stops and a final year where he wasn't injured but threw just 12 passes, Heaps has a lot of proving to do.That's nothing new for the former blue-chip quarterback, once labeled as a can't miss prospect. He had the type of tape that made colleges drool, the poise in the pocket and velocity that just can't be taught.He enrolled early at BYU, drawing an end to a recruitment that was national. The thought process was that he would spend four years, perhaps just three years, in Provo then bolt for the NFL.

“Coming out as the No. 1 quarterback in the country and the amount of success that I had for myself, it was a lot,” Heaps told Metro. “I was excited to just play college ball and just got out there and live out my dreams.”Except it didn't turn out that way. At BYU, he experienced a quarterback battle that he termed as one that “wasn't the most healthy” and he describes a divided locker room over the situation. After just two seasons, he left the program and transferred to Kansas.Heaps said he truly wanted to "make it work" at BYU but he ultimately ended up with the Jayhawks under then-head coach Charlie Weis. That seemed like a good fit on paper as Weis was considered an offensive guru at the time and was promising to turn around a Kansas program that was borderline horrible.Heaps had to sit out the 2012 season due to NCAA transfer rules. The 2013 season saw Heaps start, but Kansas went just 3-9. He had more interceptions (10) then touchdowns (8) that year and a completion percentage of 49 percent. All that hype from three years earlier? It evaporated.

There was a brief glimmer of hope for Heaps as he transferred to Miami for a fifth year where he faced yet another quarterback competition. He lost this one to Brad Kaaya, a younger player that the coaching staff wanted to build around, rather than a fifth-year quarterback who was set to leave the following season. Heaps wasn't the long-term answer, the coaching staff felt. Might as well invest in Kaaya.Heaps ended up throwing just 12 passes and got zero buzz heading into the NFL Draft. Yet, despite the three stops that included a divided locker room, a horrible Big XII team and then a quarterback competition minus the competition, Heaps still felt like he belonged in the NFL. That promise from high school, he says, still existed.“I definitely felt like talent and ability-wise, I definitely felt like I belonged there. That was maybe the hardest part. I felt like I should have been there. From my college career, I knew there was obvious reasons why maybe I shouldn't be there,” Heaps said. “I was ready for the challenge, I kept trusting and believing in my abilities.”

He went through the seven rounds of the NFL Draft without being picked and the Jets brought him in to rookie minicamp without a contract. Five years earlier, no one would have thought that Heaps would be anything but a multi-million dollar draft pick.Yet there he sat in a white chair with no locker, a player without so much as a contract in on a tryout.So far he's done well, earning a contract after rookie minicamp and working his way up the depth chart. A couple weeks ago, the Jets released Matt Simms, who was on the practice squad last year and was the team's third-string quarterback. They kept Heaps and cut a play who has actual NFL experience.

That perhaps, is telling. That also perhaps shows that the promise of a quarterback once rated as the best in the nation is finally coming around.Oh, and a couple weeks ago, he moved into one of those lockers they brought in for rookies. No more white chair for Heaps.“At the end of the day I've just been focused on me, focused on what I'm doing each and every day. That's what helped me up to this point. Not worrying about things I cna't control. Not worried about roster decisions. If I go out there and perform the way I know I can, the way I know I can play, then I'll let the chips fall where they may,” Heaps said. “I absolutely believe that I have the ability to start in this league. It's a matter of continuing to work hard every day and try to make it happen. Listen to the coaches, listen to the guys in here with experience. Work hard, show up early, stay late.

It is all cliché, right ?

But it's what I want to do. I know I can be in this league.“Now I just need to go out there and put in the work.”

> http://www.metro.us/kristian-dyer/quarterback-jake-heaps-looking-to-latch-on-with-the-jets-after-rough-road-to-nfl/zsJofr---YwQYzQPOW1oo6/

• 2 weeks later...

– There will be competition, so says a team source about not just the quarterback situation for the New York Jets but all across the field for a team that is hoping to rebound from last year's 4-12 record. But truthfully, it is all about the quarterback competition.

In recent weeks, the Jets have had to change their narrative about the quarterback position, first after offensive coordinator Chan Gailey said that Geno Smith was the starter and wouldn't lose the job during training camp or preseason, which then led head coach Todd Bowles to walk-back those statements the following week. Bowles said that Smith entered camp as the starter but didn't make any promises beyond that. Internally, the Jets currently have Smith as the starter over Ryan Fitzpatrick, but a team source tells Metro that it is for depth chart purposes and a way to divvy up reps in camp. It doesn't mean that “he's a lock or whatever to start.”

In other words, the source said, things will be fluid.

“It will be a competition, the best man will start,” the highly-placed source told Metro. “There will be a lot of factors, from performance on the field to the classroom to upside. But one player doesn't have it on lockdown. There will be competition.“This is true at all positions. Just because you're a draft pick or a high-priced free agent doesn't mean you are guaranteed to start, to have a big role, whatever. This is definitely true at quarterback. Training camp will determine things, preseason games will determine things. That goes for quarterback, it goes for all positions. Everyone is always being evaluated.”When asked if Smith is predetermined to be the starter come Week 1 the source simply said, “No.”

How this plays out for Smith remains to be seen. Over two years, Smith has been the starter far more than not for the Jets after inheriting the job as a rookie for an injured Mark Sanchez in 2013. He's shown flashes and glimpses of being a quality quarterback then produces a befuddling moment only plays later.

In Fitzpatrick, there is a quarterback who has had success when he played for Gailey with the Buffalo Bills. Gailey was the Bills head coach from 2010 to 2012. He's smart and can manage the game. But long-term, the grizzled veteran isn't the answer for the Jets' quarterback woes.“Geno, he's got talent,” the source said. “But can he put it all together? Can he be consistent? Inconsistency kills you in the NFL. In order to be a starter and shed the project label or whatever people are calling him he needs to produce every game. Limit mistakes, make plays. That's what it boils down to. He's got a lot going for him.“But he'll have to earn it and perform better than the other guys if he wants to keep it.”

> http://www.metro.us/kristian-dyer/source-jets-qb-race-between-geno-fitzpatrick-a-fluid-situation/zsJofB---BLE5WhoHiKaI/

Why Geno Smith’s last chance won’t be like the others

As the Jets get close to training camp, I am going to examine the roster and give you my top 25 players. Each weekday, we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game.

No. 22 : Geno Smith

Last year’s ranking: 14

Position: Quarterback

How acquired: Selected in the second round of the 2013 Draft

Years left on contract: 2

2015 Salary Cap figure: $1.37 million

Looking back at 2014: In his second season, Smith remained maddeningly inconsistent for the Jets coaches. He had some really positive moments (a perfect QB rating in the season finale with the Dolphins) and some downright awful ones (three interceptions in 12 plays against the Bills in Week 8). He was benched midway through the season and then regained the starting job because Michael Vick was not any better.Smith completed 59.7 percent of his passes and threw 13 touchdowns with 13 interceptions. He also rushed for a touchdown. He did very little to inspire confidence he can be any type of long-term solution at quarterback.Pro Football Focus ranked Smith 36th out of 39 quarterbacks they graded. He received only two positive grades from the website in 14 games.Smith did not appear to improve in any aspect of the game during his second year as the starter. According to PFF, he had the worst deep ball percentage in the NFL except for two rookies – Blake Bortles and Derek Carr. He also was the worst passer when under pressure.Smith gets locked in on his first option too often and holds onto the ball too long. He held the ball 2.6 seconds or more on 61.2 percent of his dropbacks, according to PFF, the worst mark in the league.There was a lot of hope around Smith entering last season, but that hope faded quickly.

Outlook for 2015: It appears as if Smith will be the starter on opening day against the Browns. Coach Todd Bowles has said it’s Smith’s job to lose, and offensive coordinator Chan Gailey made it sound like Smith won’t lose it unless he gets injured.This has to be Smith’s final chance with the Jets. There is a new regime with no ties to the decision to draft Smith in 2013, and they should not have any hidden agendas or allegiances to him. Simply put, if Smith struggles, they have to go to backup Ryan Fitzpatrick quickly. If the new coaching staff saw enough on film to tab Smith as the starter this season, he probably gets four games before they might make a change. Conveniently, the Jets’ bye week comes after their fourth game.The Jets made major upgrades on defense this year and traded for Brandon Marshall to improve their wide receiver corps. The Jets appear to be a playoff contender on paper if Smith plays well. If he struggles, another losing season could be on its way. If it does not click for Smith this season, he may be starting over somewhere else in 2016 or at least riding the bench for the Jets watching his replacement.

> http://nypost.com/2015/06/29/why-geno-smiths-last-chance-wont-be-like-the-others/

Why Geno Smith’s last chance won’t be like the others

As the Jets get close to training camp, I am going to examine the roster and give you my top 25 players. Each weekday, we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game.

No. 22 : Geno Smith

Last year’s ranking: 14

How acquired: Selected in the second round of the 2013 Draft

Years left on contract: 2

2015 Salary Cap figure: $1.37 million

Looking back at 2014: In his second season, Smith remained maddeningly inconsistent for the Jets coaches. He had some really positive moments (a perfect QB rating in the season finale with the Dolphins) and some downright awful ones (three interceptions in 12 plays against the Bills in Week 8). He was benched midway through the season and then regained the starting job because Michael Vick was not any better.Smith completed 59.7 percent of his passes and threw 13 touchdowns with 13 interceptions. He also rushed for a touchdown. He did very little to inspire confidence he can be any type of long-term solution at quarterback.Pro Football Focus ranked Smith 36th out of 39 quarterbacks they graded. He received only two positive grades from the website in 14 games.Smith did not appear to improve in any aspect of the game during his second year as the starter. According to PFF, he had the worst deep ball percentage in the NFL except for two rookies – Blake Bortles and Derek Carr. He also was the worst passer when under pressure.Smith gets locked in on his first option too often and holds onto the ball too long. He held the ball 2.6 seconds or more on 61.2 percent of his dropbacks, according to PFF, the worst mark in the league.There was a lot of hope around Smith entering last season, but that hope faded quickly.

Outlook for 2015: It appears as if Smith will be the starter on opening day against the Browns. Coach Todd Bowles has said it’s Smith’s job to lose, and offensive coordinator Chan Gailey made it sound like Smith won’t lose it unless he gets injured.This has to be Smith’s final chance with the Jets. There is a new regime with no ties to the decision to draft Smith in 2013, and they should not have any hidden agendas or allegiances to him. Simply put, if Smith struggles, they have to go to backup Ryan Fitzpatrick quickly. If the new coaching staff saw enough on film to tab Smith as the starter this season, he probably gets four games before they might make a change. Conveniently, the Jets’ bye week comes after their fourth game.The Jets made major upgrades on defense this year and traded for Brandon Marshall to improve their wide receiver corps. The Jets appear to be a playoff contender on paper if Smith plays well. If he struggles, another losing season could be on its way. If it does not click for Smith this season, he may be starting over somewhere else in 2016 or at least riding the bench for the Jets watching his replacement.

> http://nypost.com/2015/06/29/why-geno-smiths-last-chance-wont-be-like-the-others/

How the hell is Smith ranked #14?

NFL.com has him 26th out of 32 and PFF has him at 29th out of 30 ranked.

Never mind 14th on the Jets.  Even that is highly suspect.

How the hell is Smith ranked #14?

NFL.com has him 26th out of 32 and PFF has him at 29th out of 30 ranked.

Never mind 14th on the Jets.  Even that is highly suspect.

That was last year.  Geno finished on a high note and the guy got suckered.  Last year's team also had considerably less talent.

our QB dept.  -

~ ~  Ranking NFL Quarterbacks

From Aaron and Andrew to Wilson and Winston, here's how the starting quarterbacks for all 32 teams stack up heading into summer training camp

The other day, a group of us were carpooling back to Manhattan following The MMQB’s annual retreat. We got to debating Colin Kaepernick and where he ranks in the NFL quarterback hierarchy. That led to conversation about every starting quarterback’s spot on the list. Such palaver tends to happen when NFL geeks are enclosed in a confined space for several hours.Instead of sharing everyone’s thoughtful points and counterpoints from that drive, I’ve taken the petty liberty of divulging only my opinions in the below rankings. If Peter King, Robert Klemko, Emily Kaplan or executive editor (and official MMQB retreat driver) Mark Mravic want to share their opinions and rankings, they can make their own lists and pass it off as a column. It’s early-July NFL analysis at its finest. Here we go.

(The list is based off projected starting quarterbacks for 2015.)

~   27. Geno Smith, Jets

Bad decision-making has been his undoing. That can be corrected. And if it is, he has the pocket toughness to be a top-16 starting quarterback.

rest of above article..

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/07/03/nfl-quarterback-rankings/

AFC East Camp Preview : The QBs

With Training Camp Approaching, Senior Reporter Eric Allen Analyzes the AFC East with Patriots Broadcaster Bob Socci, Dolphins Team Reporter Greg Likens and Bills Lead Journalist Chris Brown

video..

Baffling why Jets’ best QB fit is stapled to the bench

No. 15: Ryan Fitzpatrick

Last year’s ranking: Unranked (not on team)

How acquired: Traded a conditional draft pick to the Texans on March 11

Years left on contract: 1

2015 Salary Cap figure: $3.25 million

Looking back at 2014: The veteran quarterback started 12 games for the Texans in his only season there. He went 6-6 in two stints as the starter. He was replaced by Ryan Mallett in the middle of the year, but then got the job back after Mallett was injured. Fitzpatrick’s season ended when he broke his left leg in December.Fitzpatrick completed 63.1 percent of his passes (197-312) for 2,483 yards, 17 touchdowns and eight interceptions.Fitzpatrick finished ninth in quarterback rating (95.3), and the website Pro Football Focus rated him as the 12th quarterback out of 39 they graded. PFF gave him a negative grade in just three games. Fitzpatrick had some major highlights for the Texans, throwing six touchdowns against the Titans on his best day.According to PFF, Fitzpatrick did not go deep too often, but when he did he was extremely accurate, completing 20 of 38 passes of 20 yards or more.

Outlook for 2015: It seemed in March the Jets were trading for Fitzpatrick to compete with Geno Smith for the starting job. But offensive coordinator Chan Gailey basically said the job is Smith’s unless he is injured and coach Todd Bowles said there will be no open competition in training camp.So, it appears Fitzpatrick will be on the bench to start the season, waiting for a chance if Smith is injured or gets benched.I find this decision by the Jets’ brass baffling. No one is going to argue Fitzpatrick is Joe Montana, but he is a smart veteran quarterback who knows Gailey’s system from their time together in Buffalo. If the Jets are looking for a quarterback who won’t necessarily win games for them, but also won’t lose them, Fitzpatrick looks like a good fit. He has thrown more touchdowns than interceptions in every season since 2010.The Jets’ plan appears to be win with defense and a strong running game with some passing sprinkled in. That means they want a “game manager,” which is exactly what Fitzpatrick is. Instead, they are going with the turnover-prone Smith. Another year, another puzzling quarterback situation with the Jets.

>   http://nypost.com/2015/07/08/baffling-why-jets-best-qb-fit-is-stapled-to-the-bench/

more re our QB dept. -

The backup quarterback position is more important than ever before.Last season alone, guys like Ryan Lindley, Connor Shaw and Clipboard Jesus took teams into battle as a whopping 54 quarterbacks started games, per NFL Research.The same occurred in 2013, when nine teams used at least two starters over the first seven weeks of play. Of those squads, only the Eagles made the playoffs. Not surprisingly, five of those clubs changed coaches after the season.Injuries, crappy play and mounting desperation will force teams to turn to No. 2 -- and even No. 3 -- in 2015. With this in mind, it's time to rank The Guys Behind The Guys.As for the criteria, I listed 32 presumed backups in the order I would pick them to start a game today. Playing experience and recent game tape were primary factors, but team situation also played a part.

Let's get down to the list :

Starting material

1. Mark Sanchez, Eagles
2. Mike Glennon, Buccaneers
3. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jets  :character0181:

It's possible that Sanchez starts the season, but the Eagles are paying Bradford $12.985 million this year to Sanchez's $2.5 million. If Bradford isn't fully healthy by Week 1, Sanchez gives Chip Kelly a player familiar with the system and one who led the Jets to consecutive AFC title games. His inspired play tailed off down the stretch in 2014, but I'm also basing this off fit: Philly's run-heavy, "QB-proof" attack is an outstanding landing spot for our top-ranked backup.I was surprised nobody swung a trade for Glennon this offseason. NFL Films senior producer Greg Cosell called him "far more advanced" than Robert Griffin III, saying "they shouldn't even be in the same discussion." Glennon played behind one of the NFL's worst lines last year and it showed, but his 18 career starts include moments of genuine promise.

:character0181: If Geno Smith crumbles, the Amish Rifle gives Jets play-caller Chan Gailey an unspectacular but battle-tested veteran to run his offense. With 89 career starts, Fitzy has worked himself out of a starting gig -- with good reason -- but he's an asset for a Gang Green outfit not entirely sold on Geno.

rest of above article :

> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000501986/article/ranking-backup-qbs-from-no-1-to-32

• 2 weeks later...

The big story in Jets training camp, which begins Wednesday when players report, will be the quarterback situation. The years change and the faces change, but the New York Jets' search for a franchise quarterback continues.Geno Smith will go into camp atop the depth chart, which makes him the early favorite over Ryan Fitzpatrick and rookie Bryce Petty. This doesn't mean Smith is a lock to be the Week 1 starter; it means the new regime will give him every opportunity to secure the job. He'd have to really screw up in the first two preseasons games to blow it. This could be his last shot.On Monday, I asked Todd Bowles what he needs to see from Smith before making a decision.While Geno Smith starts camp atop the depth chart, that's no guarantee he'll be the Week 1 starter. "The mental progression, the command of the game," Bowles said. "Obviously, all quarterbacks have to have command of the game. You don't want to see turnovers and you have to make sure you have command of the offense. It's all encompassing. There's a big mental part of it as a quarterback that you have to control because you're the coach on the field."

The Jets are hoping new offensive coordinator Chan Gailey is the Quarterback Whisperer, that his quick-read, quick-throw system will make things easier for Smith, who has 41 turnovers in 30 games. His familiarity with a spread offense -- similar to his old college system -- should help, as will an improved receiving corps.One neutral observer -- a longtime personnel executive -- isn't buying the happy talk surrounding Smith. The executive said he's a believer in Gailey, but he doesn't think a particular style of offense -- in this case, a quick passing game -- can salvage Smith."It sounds good to the fans and media, but you can't play with half a playbook and expect the quarterback to function," the exec said. "After a while, the defense starts strangling you. They'll sit on the wide receivers, play man-under coverage and shrink the field. They'll take the short stuff away. You have to attack all three levels of the field. The defense."

The executive said of Smith, "I like his traits, I just don't trust him as a quarterback." Conversely, Gailey is so high on Smith that he practically handed him the starting job during an offseason interview. He apparently went too far because Bowles, in a subsequent interview, engaged in spin control, insisting there will be competition even though Smith will get the majority of the first-team reps at the outset."I think he'll be OK," Bowles said. "He did a good job in camp -- in OTAs and minicamps -- but there were no pads and no live bullets. We'll see him in training camp. He had a good spring though."Fitzpatrick is this year's version of Michael Vick, a veteran quarterback who already knows the system and has a background with the coordinator. It didn't do the Jets any good last year because Vick was ill prepared when called upon, but they're hoping the cerebral Fitzpatrick could steady the ship, if necessary.

It comes down to Smith.

Will the third time be the charm ?

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52402/same-old-question-is-geno-smith-the-jets-answer-at-qb

-- A Geno Smith narrative already has emerged at New York Jets training camp: The new Geno.

Mature. Experienced. Improved decision-maker. Command of the huddle."You don't see those moments that you saw in his rookie year in camp, or maybe last year, when he'd get slumped or get frustrated with certain things," cornerback Antonio Cromartie said Tuesday.Smith's teammates are saying nice things about him, and with good reason. He's having a good camp -- only one turnover in five practices -- but it's important to keep everything in perspective. It's Aug. 4, for crying out loud. It's utterly pointless to get worked up about Smith -- or any quarterback, for that matter -- when he's still wearing a red, no-contact jersey.This isn't real football. That doesn't start until Sept. 13, when the Jets play the Cleveland Browns. Until then, it's all hot air and faux statistics.When you have 41 turnovers in 30 games, it takes more than a few solid practices to change the perception.Smith worked hard in the offseason, devoting more time to his craft than any of us will ever know, but there's an old Bill Parcells saying that applies here: Don't tell me about the labor, show me the baby.

Todd Bowles is a Parcells disciple, which may explain why he has tempered his praise of Smith. Ask Bowles about his quarterback's fast start in camp, and you get a canned answer. Press him, and you get, "For the most part, he's been good."Bowles knows. These practices, while serving an obvious purpose, don't tell the whole story when it comes to quarterbacks. Ultimately, Smith's job is to get his team in the end zone and win games. He was 11-18 in his first two seasons, the kind of record that would frighten an organization into going with someone else.The Jets are sticking with Smith. They have Ryan Fitzpatrick in the shadows, but Fitzpatrick has yet to take a first-team rep. Unless it changes over the next couple of weeks, this so-called competition will be proceeding on the same path as last year's charade, Smith versus Michael Vick.

Bowles will look like a genius, of course, if Smith plays well and enjoys a third-year breakout.

"I'm just growing as a person," Smith said after practice. "I think, as you get older, you get a better understanding. I'm definitely more mature. I think if I wasn't, that would be a problem. ... I'm seeing things better. I'm not feeling rushed. I'm just more comfortable in the pocket."The X factor is offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, whose system will be a better fit for Smith than Marty Mornhinweg's West Coast offense. There's more freedom in Gailey's system because the receivers can adjust their routes based on coverages -- i.e. option routes. The trick is making sure the receivers and quarterbacks make the same reads. Smith loves that aspect of the offense, perhaps because it reminds him of his old system at West Virginia."The system is great," he said. "It's allows us to play fast. It allows us to see the defense and get the ball out quick because we have so many answers."Smith is saying and doing the right things.

Alas, with his track record, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. Let's talk again in September.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52714/nice-start-for-jets-qb-geno-smith-but-its-too-early-for-testimonials

With the exception of a couple of throws, it was a day to forget for the Jets’ quarterback crew.

Not only did Geno Smith commit his first turnover in five days of training camp, but Gang Green also saw rookie Bryce Petty throw pick-six interceptions on consecutive series and veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick toss some of his trademark wobblers.Coach Todd Bowles wasn’t interested in putting a smiley face on the performance of his quarterbacks, though he tried to spread around the blame to other positions.“Sometimes the rush got there and affected it,” Bowles said. “We didn’t block as well as we did the past two days. It was all inclusive. Offensively, we were a little sloppy today. We made some mistakes on defense, but we were sloppy on offense.”Smith’s first turnover of camp came in 11-on-11 drills late in the practice, when he held onto the ball far too long and had it stripped on a sack by Leger Douzable and returned for a score.

That play overshadowed a much prettier effort by Smith earlier in the day, when he connected with Brandon Marshall in another 11-on-11 situation for a 40-yard touchdown bomb down the left sideline over Antonio Cromartie.Smith had no excuse for the turnover, which was reminiscent of his regular-season struggles the last two years. Getting rid of the ball quicker is also a major point of emphasis with him by new offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.“I let that one get away from me,” Smith said of the turnover. “So the way I handle it, is just to do better. Keep a better grip on the ball and I will. I’m not going to be less aggressive. So I’m just going to play the game and play the plays as they come.”Smith said he sympathized with the newcomer Petty on his two interceptions returned for scores, one of them by outside linebacker Quinton Coples.“I know exactly what he’s going through,” Smith said of the Baylor product. ”I’ve been there and it’s one of those things where you just have to flush it.”

Bowles didn’t sound optimistic the Jets will see running back Stevan Ridley in uniform anytime soon.Ridley, a free-agent acquisition from the rival Patriots, remains on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list as he recovers from knee surgery. Bowles said Ridley still isn’t able to do more than run straight ahead comfortably, which isn’t a good sign.“He’s running sprints and that’s all he’s doing,” Bowles said. “That’s what he’s been doing until he’s able to cut and everything. You won’t see him.”“When we signed him, we knew it wasn’t going to be a rush. We’re not trying to rush him back; we’re trying to get him healthy. When you’re taking a flier on somebody like that, who’s had production and effectiveness, you want to nurse him back to health sooner than later rather than just throw him out there.”

Defensive tackle Muhammad Wilkerson, who left practice Sunday early with a sore hamstring, was held out again Tuesday.Bowles described Wilkerson as “day-to-day” — an indication the injury isn’t serious.“On day-to-day [players], we err on the side of caution rather than the other side,” Bowles said. “Hopefully, he will [practice Wednesday], but it’s day-to-day right now.”

Jets training day

Bombs away!
After a rough start to the practice, Geno Smith made the highlight reel in 11-on-11 drills with a beautifully thrown, 40-yard TD bomb down the left sideline to Brandon Marshall, who beat Antonio Cromartie on the play.

Picked apart
Rookie quarterback Bryce Petty had a nightmarish day, throwing pick-six interceptions (one of them to lumbering pass rusher Quinton Coples, no less) on consecutive series in team drills.

Caught my eye
If Tuesday’s practice is any indication, it’s a good thing the Jets don’t have to count on Eric Decker as their No. 1 receiver anymore. The veteran wideout had an unsightly three drops on the afternoon.

Medical report
DT Muhammad Wilkerson (hamstring) missed his second consecutive practice and is listed as day-to-day. RB Stevan Ridley remains on the physically unable to perform list (PUP) as he recovers from knee surgery.

http://nypost.com/2015/08/04/jets-will-have-trouble-at-quarterback-if-this-keeps-up/

ince the New York Jets signed Ryan Fitzpatrick, the former starting quarterback for new Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey during Gailey's head coaching years in Buffalo, there has been an expectation of real competition for Geno Smith at the Jets' starting quarterback spot.  Head coach Todd Bowles and offensive coordinator Gailey have mostly taken the air out of the QB competition talk, largely suggesting the job was Geno's to lose.  After a week of training camp, has there been any definitive move by either QB to change that ?   Talk of the camp thus far has been that Geno has taken a big step forward, with a much better command of the offense and, so far, zero interceptions.  Geno's daily progress has been much more widely reported than that of Fitzpatrick.  How has Fitz done so far in camp, and how does it compare with Geno ?

So far in camp Geno Smith has completed 63 of 103 pass attempts, for a 61.2% completion percentage.  Fitzpatrick has gone 41 for 67 for a 61.2% completion percentage, in an implausible statistical quirk, identical to Smith.  Smith has zero interceptions and one fumble lost.  Fitzpatrick has two interceptions, one on a Hail  Mary pass that shouldn't count much against him, and zero fumbles lost.There isn't much to take away from those stats.  Without attending camp in person it's difficult to appraise how they match up.  On the surface the identical completion percentages and identical (if we discount the Hail Mary interception for Fitzpatrick) turnover numbers suggest the competition up to this point is a tossup.

However, it should be noted that these kinds of statistics are even less trustworthy than your garden variety, small sample size, two or three random games worth of passing statistics in games that count.  They are untrustworthy because the two quarterbacks are working with different sets of receivers, against different defensive units, and in situation specific drills that may produce better or worse than usual stats depending on the situations being practiced.One thing to note here is that, at least on paper, the identical 61.2% completion percentages are anything but encouraging.  In real game conditions, with real opponents laying real hits on the quarterbacks and every other player on the field, a 61.2% completion percentage is just barely within the mediocre end of the spectrum.  In camp conditions, with the quarterback off limits, and for much of the first week with the receivers also not being hit, that 61.2% number looks positively anemic.  Of course we should note here that this does not take into account the receivers being thrown to, the defensive personnel being thrown against, the specific situations being practiced, the types of throws being attempted, the number of drops by receivers, etc. Nonetheless, with all the raves being thrown in Geno's general direction, it is at least mildly surprising that through the first 100+ passes he seems to be completing passes at a somewhat less than exuberant rate.

The bottom line to date appears to be that so far neither quarterback has decisively separated themselves from the competition.  Neither has set the world on fire with his accuracy, and neither has been plagued by turnovers.  Most observers who have been at camp thus far have given Smith the slight edge over Fitzpatrick. Given Geno's presumed starter status at the outset of camp, it seems likely that after week one of camp nothing has changed that status much in either direction.If anything, Geno's hold on the position seems to have strengthened a bit.  Heading into the preseason games in 5 short days, it appears that Geno continues to be the presumptive starter at quarterback.  As the days for that status to change dwindle, it seems more likely by the day that it would take a complete implosion in actual game play for Geno Smith not to be starting under center when the games start to matter.

> http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/8/8/9120317/ny-jets-the-qb-battle-week-1

Geno will fail.  Of this there can be no doubt.  I'm not rooting for him to fail.  I wish we finally had one of those fancy young franchise QB's.....it just is. 

I agree but it does make sense for Geno to start TC as 1st team.  Fitz is a vet familiar with system so I don't think his prep will be hurt much with less reps for now.  But if Geno stinks it up 3 out of first 4 weeks, or if Fitz crushes preseason, I will be enraged if we stick with Geno.

-- The scorecard after nine days of New York Jets' training camp ...

Number of Jets mailbags on ESPN.com : Two.

Geno Smith interceptions : None.

Who'da thunk it ?

@RichCimini : Well, it beats the alternative, right? It never can be a bad thing to practice well, but it's important to keep things in perspective. As I wrote the other day, Geno Smith's true test will come in the regular season. We know he's going to win the starting job, so he's not facing a lot of pressure right now. Heck, Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't even getting snaps with the first-team offense. Smith has the physical tools to win in this league, but he sabotages himself -- and the team -- with poor decision making. Maybe he will thrive in Chan Gailey's system. So far, so good. One thing I've noticed is that he seems more willing to run with the ball if he doesn't see anything open downfield -- a positive step. In the past, he seemed reluctant to do that. But, again, it's way too early to make projections. Making the All-Florham Park team doesn't mean anything in September.

rest of above article :

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52816/jets-mailbag-what-does-geno-smiths-fast-start-really-mean

I agree but it does make sense for Geno to start TC as 1st team.  Fitz is a vet familiar with system so I don't think his prep will be hurt much with less reps for now.  But if Geno stinks it up 3 out of first 4 weeks, or if Fitz crushes preseason, I will be enraged if we stick with Geno.

There is no logical reason at this point to think that Geno will "stink it up" 3 out of the first 4 weeks. Absolutely none. From essentially ALL accounts he has been significantly better in camp than Fitz and is in a QB friendly system with actual weapons. None other than bias

There is no logical reason at this point to think that Geno will "stink it up" 3 out of the first 4 weeks. Absolutely none. From essentially ALL accounts he has been significantly better in camp than Fitz and is in a QB friendly system with actual weapons. None other than bias

Whether you think the odds are great or small the fact remains that Geno has sucked for the majority of two years so the Jets coaching staff need to be ready with the hook and plan B.

If they both play good! both play medium, or both s*ck in the rest of camp & preseason games I agree with going with Geno.

If Fitz plays significantly better than Geno (both statistically and via eyeball test) I Fitz should start week 1 regular season.

» Today's big story: Jets QB Geno Smith is out 6-10 weeks with a broken jaw after a teammate "sucker punched" him this morning in the locker room, according to coach Todd Bowles. Rapid reaction from our Rhett Lewis: "You're hoping to see him build off of some of that momentum and now a major road block for Geno Smith ... this is a devastating blow here to the progression of the Jets quarterback." From Brian Billick, who discussed new starter Ryan Fitzpatrick: "I think we know who Ryan Fitzpatrick is: he's a backup in this league ... I don't think anybody has any disillusion that this is your franchise quarterback going forward ... This is the third year, so this was going to be critical particularly early in the season, it was going to be kind of all or nothing."

» The Jets released LB Ikemefuna Enemkpali, who was said to be the punch-thrower. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport on how the altercation developed: "Word is Geno Smith put his finger in the face of IK Enemkpaliâs during and argument that wasnât getting difused. Then came the punch."

» Jets coach Todd Bowles briefly addressed the media before heading to practice: "It's something you don't tolerate ... you can't tolerate that and this was something that happened in the locker room and we're dealing with it internally ... It's something very childish that sixth graders could have talked about and it never should have happened."

» Kimberly Jones, who has covered the Giants and Jets for years, weighed in from Cincinnati where she is travelling with Big Blue. Per Jones, the injury to Smith elevates rookie Bryce Petty, who was slotted for a de-facto redshirt year as the third QB, into the backup role. The Jets had wanted to bring Petty along slowly, but he will now have to take a more active role in the team, especially if Fitzpatrick is ineffective or goes down with injury.

» Jeff Darlington spoke to a team source about Petty :

@JeffDarlington

Before you go down this road, Jets source says Bryce Petty is not ready -- "not even close" -- to assume starting role. Not the answer here.

rest of above article :

> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000508556/article/itc-live-whispers-fitzmagic-time-in-new-york

If you can get past the shock associated with how New York Jets quarterback Geno Smith broke his jaw, and swallow hard on the implications for his career, at least in the short-term you can move to a far more uplifting conclusion: The Jets should be better at quarterback in his absence.

Lost to most of the NFL world is the reality that current Jets backup Ryan Fitzpatrick had one of his best seasons in 2014 with the Houston Texans. He outperformed Smith in every metric imaginable, compiling a career-high 56.7 Total Quarterback Rating on the strength of a 63.1 completion percentage and a touchdown-completion ratio (2.12) that ranked No. 13 in the NFL.Compare that to Smith, whose 1.0 touchdown-interceptions ratio ranked No. 30 in the league during a season in which you could have expected him to take a step forward. His QBR of 44.3 ranked No. 26. Earlier this offseason, colleague Mike Sando used advanced analytics to calculate that Fitzpatrick would have been worth 2.5 additional wins per year over Smith over each of the past two seasons.

If Fitzpatrick is so skilled, it's fair to ask, then why wasn't he competing with Smith for the Jets' starting job? The simple answer is that the organization was committed to finding out, once and for all, whether Smith is the long-term answer. Fitzpatrick would always be available, and primed to work with a familiar offensive coordinator, if Smith bombed out. (Fitzpatrick and Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey were together with the Buffalo Bills from 2010 to '12.)That plan has now been delayed, if not scuttled entirely, by Tuesday morning's altercation (sucker punch is another fitting description) in the Jets' locker room.It's an undeniable setback for the Jets from a long-term organizational standpoint, at least based on the hope that Smith would take a step forward and prove to be the answer they hoped for. And it might ultimately force a decision on Smith without seeing him at his best on the field.

In the short term, however, they might have upgraded at the position and surely haven't lost any ground. How's that for looking on the bright side ?

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/174055/inside-slant-jets-are-better-at-qb-today-with-ryan-fitzpatrick

REPORT : After Geno Smith punched, Jets reach out to former Redskins QB

Just when it seems the New York Jets can't get any crazier, news comes out that starting quarterback Geno Smith will be out at least six weeks after being punched in the jaw by a teammate. Without Smith, the Jets have journeyman veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick and rookie fourth rounder Bryce Petty next on the QB depth charts.Fitzpatrick is a real option for Week 1, a veteran with some strong games on his resume. Petty, by most accounts, is not ready to compete for the starting gig. But down a QB, now the Jets are reportedly kicking the tires on former Redskins quarterback Rex Grossman.

Rand Getlin

@Rand_Getlin

I'm told the #Jets reached out to Rex Grossman, who is dealing with an injury he suffered in training. Will need a few weeks to get ready.

Grossman hasn't played a regular season game since the 2011 season, when he started 13 games for a bad Redskins team. He threw for more than 3,100 yards to go with 16 TDs and 20 interceptions. The following year, Grossman moved to the third string QB in Washington behind Robert Griffin III and Kirk Cousins. Grossman's career has been a wild ride, famous for turnovers and aggressive throws, though he was the quarterback of a Chicago Bears team that reached the Super Bowl in 2006. 

It's not too wild to consider that a team like the Jets might want Grossman, simply because nothing is too wild to consider when it comes to the Jets. 

> http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblog/report-after-geno-smith-punched-jets-reach-out-former-redskins-qb-rg3-rex-grossman?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

The New York Jets are in no rush to acquire a veteran quarterback to play behind Ryan Fitzpatrick, and that's the smart play.

They have reached out to veterans, but the free-agent market is lean. One possibility is Tyler Thigpen, who has some background with offensive coordinator Chan Gailey. Thigpen played under Gailey with the Buffalo Bills in 2011 and 2012. Thigpen's record as a starter is 1-11. The Jets reportedly had a conversation with Michael Vick, but they agreed to pass on a reunion, according to NFL.com.The Jets will re-evaluate the situation after Thursday night's preseason opener against the Detroit Lions. Fitzpatrick will start for the injured Geno Smith (broken jaw), but he won't play much. Rookie Bryce Petty will get a lot of work, with undrafted rookie Jake Heaps perhaps seeing some mop-up duty.

There's no point in rushing into a decision because it's not like they're missing out on anybody. They could wait a couple of weeks to see who shakes free when rosters are cut to 75. One name to watch is former Jets QB Matt Simms, currently fourth on the Bills' depth chart. Personnel people around the league expect the Bills to cut one and maybe two quarterbacks, which means Matt Cassel or EJ Manuel also could be in trouble.Simms requested his release from the Jets in the offseason and landed with the Bills, reuniting with Rex Ryan. Could he return? Stranger things have happened. See: IK Enemkpali claimed on waivers by Ryan one day after punching out Smith. Simms had two months of exposure to Gailey's offense before he was cut.

"The guys on the street aren't good options," one AFC personnel executive said. "I'd just ride with Petty. He might not be ready, but you're not winning games with any of those other guys on the couch, either."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52998/what-are-jets-planning-to-do-at-quarterback-position

Call it the Rexurection.

Former NFL quarterback Rex Grossman said Thursday he can be available to the Jets in about a week, when he expects a sprained foot to be 100 percent healed. He sprained the foot while training "a couple weeks ago," noting he's in good football shape."We'll see if they wait for me," Grossman texted Thursday.

Grossman last played in the NFL in 2013 when he was in his fourth year with the Redskins. He hasn't played in a game since 2011, but that hasn't stopped teams from occasional interest in the 12-year veteran.In late December, the Browns wanted to sign Grossman -- but Grossman opted against it because it was not worth it to him to leave family at Christmas for a one-week league minimum salary. This situation with the Jets, no doubt, would be very different.

Jets sources say rookie Bryce Petty is not yet ready to assume a starting role, which leaves the team with only Ryan Fitzpatrick, who fractured his leg in December, as the player with the most legitimate shot at helping the Jets open the season at quarterback.

> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000509273/article/rex-grossman-i-could-be-available-to-jets-in-a-week

-- Geno who ?

After 48 hours of intense controversy, the New York Jets got back to work Thursday night and played a preseason football game. They didn't play particularly well, losing to the Detroit Lions 23-3, but the score didn't matter. It was their first chance to play with Ryan Fitzpatrick, their new quarterback, and you got the distinct impression in the locker room that the Jets moved on from Geno Smith. And there were no tears.Smith's credibility among his teammates took a big hit (no pun intended) Tuesday, when he got slugged in the jaw by now-former teammate IK Enemkpali. Failing to recognize his role as the team leader, Smith put himself in a bad spot by getting into a petty spat with Enemkpali over $600. No one deserves a broken jaw, but his involvement in a "very childish" altercation (Todd Bowles' description) reflects poorly on the quarterback.

Smith, recovering from surgery, could be done with the Jets as a starter. It's Fitzpatrick's team."He believes in us and we believe in him," guard Willie Colon said. "It's kind of a smooth groove, if you will."There was no outpouring of emotion for Smith. Part of that could be attributed to the "next man up" mentality of the NFL. It's also because they wanted to move on from Smith. Nothing personal, mind you. Just business.Take Brandon Marshall, for instance. For months, he told everybody the reason he wanted to be traded to the Jets was because he liked the idea of playing with Smith, whom he described as a young, ascending quarterback.

This was Marshall after the game :

"I'm just moving forward. I think the whole team is moving forward. I think you'll hear that echoed throughout this locker room. It's time for us to move forward and play ball."

Fitzpatrick, 32, starting for his sixth team, never was anybody's Next Big Thing. He's certainly not that at this stage of his career, but he was "cool, calm and collected," according to Todd Bowles, who made his Jets coaching debut. The players talked about Fitzpatrick's poise. They talked about the way he spoke clearly in the huddle. He didn't get rattled despite having only one day of practice with the first-team offense. He's a pro. He was a grown-up in the huddle."I think everyone around the league knows he's a really smart guy and we all saw that," Marshall said.Fitzpatrick attempted only three passes in one series (10 plays), completing two. He lacked zip on a third-and-1 pass, allowing the defender to break it up. He doesn't have a rifle, but some of that could be stamina. He missed a lot of the offseason, recovering from a broken leg, so his lower body isn't at full strength and that could affect his mechanics.

It was a quick hook by Bowles, but the rookie coach was thinking of the big picture. This was a small first step toward getting Fitzpatrick ready for the regular season. No doubt, they protected him better than Smith protected himself in the locker room.The Jets weren't going to let any angry linebackers get to their new quarterback.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/53048/jets-ready-to-move-on-from-geno-smith-and-thats-no-punch-line

Jets considering Matt Flynn, other veteran quarterbacks

The Jets won’t have quarterback Geno Smith for a while, possibly for the first eight weeks of the season if he’s placed on short-term IR following surgery to repair a jaw that was broken in two places. Without Geno Smith, they have only two quarterbacks on the roster: Ryan Fitzpatrick and Bryce Petty. (Actually they have a third one — undrafted rookie Jake Heaps. Which means they have two.)

They could eventually have another. Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that the Jets have reached out to Matt Flynn, and that the team has discussed bringing Flynn in for a visit.Flynn recently was released by the Patriots after failing to pass a physical. Coach Bill Belichick has left the door open for bringing Flynn back if/when he’s healthy. (Flynn’s injury is unclear; based on the picture, we can’t rule out a broken jaw.)

Mehta reports that the Jets are exploring other veteran free-agent options, which are few and far between at this point. Mike Vick won’t be returning, and Rex Grossman has a sprained foot that has not yet healed.Tyler Thigpen knows the Chan Gailey offense, which makes him the most logical choice in the short term. But there could be more veterans available as the rosters reduce and depth charts shrink.

So, basically, the cross-pollination of the AFC East may continue when the Jets sign whoever the odd man out in Buffalo is.

> http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/14/jets-considering-matt-flynn-other-veteran-quarterbacks/

Archived