WR Smith Practices, Signs Contract

FoxJet

WR Smith Practices, Signs Contract

Posted 31 minutes ago

120725-on-the-inside-with-eric-allen-heaEric AllenSr. Reporter/Director, Internet ProgrammingEmail @eallenjets On the Inside

•  
  •  
In 2014, OSU Product’s 28.2 Yards/Reception Led the FBS

IMG_0776-article.jpg

Hours after Devin Smithicon-article-link.gif participated in his first practice with the Jets at rookie minicamp, the team announced that they signed their second-round pick.

Smith, taken with the fifth pick of Round 2 (No. 37 overall), averaged an FBS-best 28.2 yards/catch for Ohio State and topped the Big Ten with 12 receiving touchdowns last season. He totaled 33 receptions for 931 yards as the Buckeyes captured the national championship.

“He brings a dimension to our offense in terms of at least initially being a vertical threat and an impactful type player in that sense,” said GM Mike Maccagnan. “And he has all the skills from an athletic standpoint to – in our minds – be a very good starting caliber receiver when it’s all said and done in terms of his development.”

"He's got some new defenses to read and he's got some new offensive routes, so that will take a little time but he's a determined guy," added head coach Todd Bowles on Friday. "I'm sure he'll get it.

5 down and 1 to go 

I believe that Devin will show people that he's much more than a fly route WR. 

Even if he does turn out to be a one trick pony - WHAT A TRICK!!! I have dreams of a two eyed Wesley Walker. The clips I saw of this guy it seemed like he was always easily blowing by the defender and then had to slow up for the ball. They say he runs a 4.37 forty. About the same as Walker. The thing is Walker was always faster than anybody trying to cover him, regardless of what they ran the forty in. It is called football speed. This kid has it. Lots of guys run a great forty in shorts.

I am excited about him.

You just get that feeling that we will get good play out of this guy. So refreshing, just remembering Stephen Hill and how we all knew it was a bad pick in the 2nd round pick. I feel a lot better about this guy

You just get that feeling that we will get good play out of this guy. So refreshing, just remembering Stephen Hill and how we all knew it was a bad pick in the 2nd round pick. I feel a lot better about this guy

What gave you the feeling he was a bad pick at the time?

Well one there was so much talk about how raw he was. But he came in with that big smile and it made you want to believe. But shortly afterwards he started having all these issues in camp. Just confirmed my gut feeling this was a reach at 2. Smith dose have a huge advantage tho, he doesn't have to start.

I do too and I think he is mislabelled badly as a one trick pony. I think he has true ELITE #1 potential. Best receiver we have had since Keyshawn.

the last several good WR's on the jets were guys the jets traded for or signed as a FA.  not counting "raw project" stephen hill, who is the last WR the jets drafted this high who was projected to actually be a legit WR ?  moss ?

this guy is "our guy" and he has the hands, brains and ability to be an impact player

fingers crossed

Even if he does turn out to be a one trick pony - WHAT A TRICK!!! I have dreams of a two eyed Wesley Walker. The clips I saw of this guy it seemed like he was always easily blowing by the defender and then had to slow up for the ball. They say he runs a 4.37 forty. About the same as Walker. The thing is Walker was always faster than anybody trying to cover him, regardless of what they ran the forty in. It is called football speed. This kid has it. Lots of guys run a great forty in shorts.

I am excited about him.

That would be awesome, my father said Wesley Walker was electric and was his favorite player from that era. Would be great to have a reincarnation of him on the field, but I feel Smith has the potential to develop into more than a 1 trick pony.

For 2015 though, that one trick will fit in well with the rest of our WRs.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I am excited about him.

And some even faster without pants if the husband comes home early.. :animal0029:

That would be awesome, my father said Wesley Walker was electric and was his favorite player from that era. Would be great to have a reincarnation of him on the field, but I feel Smith has the potential to develop into more than a 1 trick pony.

For 2015 though, that one trick will fit in well with the rest of our WRs.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Walker was a complete WR. long threat, route runs etc. Devin appears to be more like Santana Moss.

Would love to see him beef up like a Steve Smith.

I like Smith, but sadly comparing him to Moss is still slightly overrating him. Moss KNEW how to run routes and that's why he worked well with Penny on Out routes lofted to the sideline (where he perfected his foot control), Dig & Hitch routes in addition to him just FLOORING IT DEEP.

Smith reminds me of a taller version of Dedric Ward ('97 3rd rounder Iowa State).

Just put him at the slot or #4 and let him rip deep. Ward never materialized to more than that & eventually signed with Miami. Hopefully Smith can grow into being more than that. If he can develop a toughness to go over the middle and sharpen his routes, who knows.......Laverneus Coles ceiling for Smith?

Archived