Report: Goodell considers Brady's Deflategate role a serious violation

Jet Fan RI

You and I are fans of the NFL, but more importantly, fans of 2 specific teams.

As said fans, the only thing we can do is root for them to win.

We have absolutely no control over anything else.

If the roles were reversed, I seriously doubt you would disown your team.

Would be easier if he just started rooting for his team a little more than a decade ago, AMIRIGHT?

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You and I are fans of the NFL, but more importantly, fans of 2 specific teams.

As said fans, the only thing we can do is root for them to win.

We have absolutely no control over anything else.

If the roles were reversed, I seriously doubt you would disown your team.

Speak for yourselves.  We got the GM fired with billboards!

I have lived in New England since before Bledsoe QBd for the Pats.  These fans are passionate, but frontrunners.  This area was all about the Celtics, Red Sox and Bruins for decades.  Nobody gave a crap about the Patriots before Brady started playing and they went on their tear.  The moment Brady retires and the team's  fortunes are up and down every year like everybody else (hopefully mostly down), their fan base will immediately erode again and that Gillette stadium and theme park will likely be half empty again.  Without Brady's great teams, football will return to last place among the New England sports.

The other remarkable thing about Pats fans is the bunker mentality.  Otherwise reasonable peolple refuse to be at all objective about their team and its ethical transgressions.  Every caller on Boston sports radio is screaming about how the Report is a joke, is biased, is scientifically flawed (almost all from guys who haven't read it).  Despite the fact that the report, read objectiively, leaves no doubt as to Brady's culpability, I know a very intelligent CEO of a corporation, for example, who seems to sincerely believe that the Wells firm was out to get them, had its mind up before the investigation began, etc...  This is why I am so much looking forward to the hammer coming down.  I sure hope that it is more than two games for Brady.

I have lived in New England since before Bledsoe QBd for the Pats.  These fans are passionate, but frontrunners.  This area was all about the Celtics, Red Sox and Bruins for decades.  Nobody gave a crap about the Patriots before Brady started playing and they went on their tear.  The moment Brady retires and the team's  fortunes are up and down every year like everybody else (hopefully mostly down), their fan base will immediately erode again and that Gillette stadium and theme park will likely be half empty again.  Without Brady's great teams, football will return to last place among the New England sports.

The other remarkable thing about Pats fans is the bunker mentality.  Otherwise reasonable peolple refuse to be at all objective about their team and its ethical transgressions.  Every caller on Boston sports radio is screaming about how the Report is a joke, is biased, is scientifically flawed (almost all from guys who haven't read it).  Despite the fact that the report, read objectiively, leaves no doubt as to Brady's culpability, I know a very intelligent CEO of a corporation, for example, who seems to sincerely believe that the Wells firm was out to get them, had its mind up before the investigation began, etc...  This is why I am so much looking forward to the hammer coming down.  I sure hope that it is more than two games for Brady.

Top notch post. Spot on.

I have lived in New England since before Bledsoe QBd for the Pats.  These fans are passionate, but frontrunners.  This area was all about the Celtics, Red Sox and Bruins for decades.  Nobody gave a crap about the Patriots before Brady started playing and they went on their tear.  The moment Brady retires and the team's  fortunes are up and down every year like everybody else (hopefully mostly down), their fan base will immediately erode again and that Gillette stadium and theme park will likely be half empty again.  Without Brady's great teams, football will return to last place among the New England sports.

It's obvious you haven't lived in New England long enough. This town (minus connecticut; They split between N.Y.) has been a football, baseball, hockey, than basketball town in that order for a very very long time. Baseball was actually number one until Robert Kraft threaten to move the franchise to connecticut, and fans fought to keep the team in foxboro that was WAY BEFORE Brady ever got here back in 94, then Bledsoe and Parcells came aboard and the love affair with the team and football grew even stronger and knocked red sox baseball to number two.

I dont mind some jet fans b*tching about the pats and their fans because that is what some of you guys do, but get your history correct at least.

It's obvious you haven't lived in New England long enough. This town (minus connecticut; They split between N.Y.) has ALWAYS BEEN a football, baseball, hockey, than basketball town in that order. Baseball was actually number one until Robert Kraft threaten to move the franchise to connecticut, and fans fought to keep the team in foxboro that was WAY BEFORE Brady ever got here back in 94, then Bledsoe and Parcells came aboard and the love affair with the team and football grew even stronger and knocked red sox baseball to number two.

I dont mind some jet fans b*tching about the pats and their fans because that is what some of you guys do, but get your history correct at least.

I remember Foxboro being empty for much of the 70's and 80's. Excluding the year they got to the superbowl and were crushed by the Bears.  Early 90's too. 

I've lived in NE for the past 8 years. Agreed.

It's obvious you haven't lived in New England long enough. This town (minus connecticut; They split between N.Y.) has ALWAYS BEEN a football, baseball, hockey, than basketball town in that order. Baseball was actually number one until Robert Kraft threaten to move the franchise to connecticut, and fans fought to keep the team in foxboro that was WAY BEFORE Brady ever got here back in 94, then Bledsoe and Parcells came aboard and the love affair with the team and football grew even stronger and knocked red sox baseball to number two.

Moved to Boston in 1986 and respectfully, I disagree.  Red Sox sold out virtually every game, whether they were good or bad.  Huge passion for Celts and Bruins.  In 1986, they made it to the Superbow with Eason and lost.  In 1987, they drew less than 12,000 fans for a division game against the Bills.  We can agree to disagree.

Moved to Boston in 1986 and respectfully, I disagree.  Red Sox sold out virtually every game, whether they were good or bad.  Huge passion for Celts and Bruins.  In 1986, they made it to the Superbow with Eason and lost.  In 1987, they drew less than 12,000 fans for a division game against the Bills.  We can agree to disagree.

Yeah we are gonna have to disagree, because the red sox stopped selling out games (either last year or the year before) I'm a huge baskeball fan but new england is not, if you live in boston, i'm sure you listen to weei or 98.5, how often are they talking about Cs basketball now that the big three of KG, PP, and Ray aren't here anymore?

There is a passion for the Bruins, and you going back to 87 is kind of making my point. They got blown out by the Bears in that superbowl in 87. I said by 94, right before the draft of Drew Bledsoe. so that's 94 til now where this town has become a football town on top of the fact that football has become the most popular sport nationally.

It's obvious you haven't lived in New England long enough. This town (minus connecticut; They split between N.Y.) has been a football, baseball, hockey, than basketball town in that order for a very very long time. Baseball was actually number one until Robert Kraft threaten to move the franchise to connecticut, and fans fought to keep the team in foxboro that was WAY BEFORE Brady ever got here back in 94, then Bledsoe and Parcells came aboard and the love affair with the team and football grew even stronger and knocked red sox baseball to number two.

You should get YOUR history right.

1994 isn't history. The popularity now of the Patriots is indicative of the shift in popularity of the NFL in general. It has nothing to do with Kraft, Parcells, or the degenerate bigots peppered throughout the state's burbs but say they are from "Bawstuhn". 

New England, and specifically Boston, revolved Baseball, Hockey and Basketball. The 3 storied franchises. The 3 franchises that meant something to their respective sports. It's still a Sox, Bruins and Celtics town. It just so happens that none of these teams are part of the NFL, which eclipses all other sports in popularity right now. 

Fantasy sports ad betting going online played a big role in the popularity shift of the NFL. That, and the cheating scandal in MLB. People's lifestyles have changed, nobody can spend 4 hours a day, 6 days a week watching baseball games on television. The NFL's content is more easily consumed by todays audience. This all makes the NFL the most popular sport, the popularity rise of the sport in general, combined with the success in the Brady years = front runner fanbase. 

You may be too close to it, to see it. I live up here, and I have out-grown my bias because I have many local team fans as good, good friends, so trust me.

We can agree that he is just wrong.

Yeah we are gonna have to disagree, because the red sox stopped selling out games (either last year or the year before) I'm a huge baskeball fan but new england is not, if you live in boston, i'm sure you listen to weei or 98.5, how often are they talking about Cs basketball now that the big three of KG, PP, and Ray aren't here anymore?

There is a passion for the Bruins, and you going back to 87 is kind of making my point. They got blown out by the Bears in that superbowl in 87. I said by 94, right before the draft of Drew Bledsoe. so that's 94 til now where this town has become a football town on top of the fact that football has become the most popular sport nationally.

The Red Sox failing to sell out games last year, in a down year after great success, is actually a proof-point that this is a fair-weather town.

The Celtics losing favor, after great success, is actually a proof-point that this is a fair-weather town.

Historically, this town is about the Sox, Celts and Bs. 

Lately, this town is all about the Pats because they win more. Hence, front runners.

You should get YOUR history right.

1994 isn't history. The popularity now of the Patriots is indicative of the shift in popularity of the NFL in general. It has nothing to do with Kraft, Parcells, or the degenerate bigots peppered throughout the state's burbs but say they are from "Bawstuhn". 

New England, and specifically Boston, revolved Baseball, Hockey and Basketball. The 3 storied franchises. The 3 franchises that meant something to their respective sports. It's still a Sox, Bruins and Celtics town. It just so happens that none of these teams are part of the NFL, which eclipses all other sports in popularity right now. 

Fantasy sports ad betting going online played a big role in the popularity shift of the NFL. That, and the cheating scandal in MLB. People's lifestyles have changed, nobody can spend 4 hours a day, 6 days a week watching baseball games on television. The NFL's content is more easily consumed by todays audience. This all makes the NFL the most popular sport, the popularity rise of the sport in general, combined with the success in the Brady years = front runner fanbase. 

You may be too close to it, to see it. I live up here, and I have out-grown my bias because I have many local team fans as good, good friends, so trust me.

you moved here, but I lived here all my life, so how does that make me wrong and you right? History at any point is past tense. Yesterday was history, what the hell are you talking about with 94 not being history? (with the team staying in New England and the pats getting Parcell and Bledsoe)

and you need to google exactly when this popularity of the team started, had nothing to do with the popularity of football shifting, because New England started riding the wave before the popularity began to grow. Hilarious you are to me.

I remember Foxboro being empty for much of the 70's and 80's. Excluding the year they got to the superbowl and were crushed by the Bears.  Early 90's too. 

me too...i remember the games being blacked out. again i said it took off in 94...my dates are still correct by what you are saying here..so your point was?

you moved here, but I live here all my life, so how does that make me wrong and you are right? History at any point is past tense. Yesterday was history, wha the hell are you talking about with 94 being history.

and you need to google exactly when this popularity of the team started, hand nothing to do with the popularity of football shifting, because New England started riding the wave before the popularity began to grown. Hilarious you are to me.

You told Bruce Harper to "check his history". I was rebutting your reference to "history". Since you've already provided the proof-points of why this is a front runner city, there's not much to debate on there. However, if you want to argue over the semantics of "history", I'm happy to oblige. I'll tell you flat out though, I'm going to make a fool of you.

Living here all your life doesn't mean anything. This isn't a question of who has lived here longer. It's a question of who is more perceptive of long-term and short-term interests amongst an ever-shifting population in this particular region, cross-referenced against the national shifts in popular media and past-time. 

The popularity shift of the NFL over the past 2 decades into one of the great giants in ALL of media vs. just amongst sports 100% played a role in the immediate shift in interest amongst the 4 major sports teams here, as it has almost everywhere else in the country.

You are correct in that the Patriots, as of today, are the most popular team in Boston... because of the winning and because of the rise in the NFL's popularity. They only hold this margin by about 10% over the Red Sox.

Quite simply, the NHL and NBA are struggling as a sport, it is reflected in every team's fanbase, the Red Sox, Yankees and St. Louis Cardinals are some of the only baseball team to give their state's NFL team a run for their money in popularity. Overall, it can be said that EVERY cities football team is the most popular team they have, because of the sport. However, the history of each of these 4 franchises and their complete histories proves out that this is more of a Hockey and Baseball town than anything else.

Listening to sports talk radio isn't a valid source of data. The people who call in are as dumb as rocks and the hosts pander/troll to that fact.

I can't believe you live here, and have live here your whole life, and need someone to tell you this.

me too...i remember the games being blacked out. again i said it took off in 94...my dates are still correct by what you are saying here..so your point was?

I was a Pats season ticket holder '82-'92 and everything ghost has posted is accurate.

Yeah, check the facts brahs. Look it up before you all speak. ***shakes head*****

According to the Harris Poll, professional football moved ahead of baseball as the fans' favorite in 1965, during the emergence of the NFL's challenger, the American Football League, as a major professional football league.

So, it took another 29 years for this to impact New England... or, the Patriots sucked that whole time and when Parcells got hired = winning = bandwagon.

Football has remained America's favorite sport ever since. In a Harris Poll conducted in 2008, the NFL was the favorite sport of as many people (30%) as the combined total of the next three professional sports – baseball (15%), auto racing (10%), and hockey (5%).[36] Additionally, football's American television viewership ratings now surpass those of other sports, although football season comprises far fewer games than the seasons of other sports.[37]

Exactly what I was saying. The combination of accessibility to both gambling and easier dedication to viewing = huge shift in popularity, which would have helped EVERY team eclipse other sports teams in popularity. Even teams like the Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins with long histories of being the championed teams here in this city.

Other studies and polls such as the ESPN Sports Poll and the studies released by the Associated Press (AP) and conducted by Sports Marketing Group (SMG) from 1988 to 2004, show far higher levels of popularity for NFL football since they list from thirty to over 100 sports that each respondent must rate. According to the AP, the SMG polls from 1988 to 2004 show NFL football to be the most popular spectator sport in America. The AP stated that "In the most detailed survey ever of America's sports tastes" researching "114 spectator sports they might attend, follow on television or radio or read about in newspapers or magazines, the NFL topped all sports with 39 percent of Americans saying they loved it or considered it one of their favorites."[38] In a 2003 study conducted by SMG and released by the AP, the NFL was loved or liked a lot by 42.8% of Americans over 18.[39][40]

Like I was saying. 1994 happens to fall right in that range of the popularity growth they were measuring with the SMG research.

A 2007 Turnkey Sports & Entertainment's Team Brand Index for "team loyalty" ranked NFL teams in twelve of the top twenty-five spots out of 122 total between the four major sports leagues. The Pittsburgh Steelers and their fanbase had the top spot, while the New England Patriots, and Indianapolis Colts had the following two spots, followed by the New Orleans Saints at number seven and the Green Bay Packers and their fanbaseranked at number ten.[42] The Arizona Cardinals finished last in the entire survey of 122 teams, though the survey was taken before the team's appearance against the Steelers in Super Bowl XLIII.

Look at that, what an amazing correlation between popularity and success. Whoa. I like the last sentence about the Cardinals, which downright implies the Cardinals would have ranked better if the survey had been done after their SB trip.

"The other thing they've done quite brilliantly is they've made it a 12-month business. The NFL is in the public consciousness 12 months of the year, whether you're going through the season, then off into draft preparation, the combine, the draft, [free agency in] the summer," NBC's Lazarus said. "There really is no offseason, for the how fan looks at it."

Pilson offered another reason for the NFL's always-rising fortunes: gambling, including fantasy football.

"They feed the meter," he said. "They create interest in not just the outcome, but also the process. Gambling isn't just who wins and loses; it's the over-under, the third-quarter score."

Finally. I rest my case.

The growth in popularity of the Patriots is a product of success and the natural benefit of them being part of the most popular sport in the country. It's not because of loyalty. It's because after a decades and even a century of devotion to being Sox, Celtics and Bruins fans, the Patriots win more. If/when that stops, the Patriots will probably fall behind the Sox in popularity again (if the Sox keep winning) because this is one of the few cities in the country where it's a true baseball town (check your history, yo) and the team could compete for that top spot because of it.

You told Bruce Harper to "check his history". I was rebutting your reference to "history". Since you've already provided the proof-points of why this is a front runner city, there's not much to debate on there. However, if you want to argue over the semantics of "history", I'm happy to oblige. I'll tell you flat out though, I'm going to make a fool of you.

Living here all your life doesn't mean anything. This isn't a question of who has lived here longer. It's a question of who is more perceptive of long-term and short-term interests amongst an ever-shifting population in this particular region, cross-referenced against the national shifts in popular media and past-time. 

The popularity shift of the NFL over the past 2 decades into one of the great giants in ALL of media vs. just amongst sports 100% played a role in the immediate shift in interest amongst the 4 major sports teams here, as it has almost everywhere else in the country.

You are correct in that the Patriots, as of today, are the most popular team in Boston... because of the winning and because of the rise in the NFL's popularity. They only hold this margin by about 10% over the Red Sox.

Quite simply, the NHL and NBA are struggling as a sport, it is reflected in every team's fanbase, the Red Sox, Yankees and St. Louis Cardinals are some of the only baseball team to give their state's NFL team a run for their money in popularity. Overall, it can be said that EVERY cities football team is the most popular team they have, because of the sport. However, the history of each of these 4 franchises and their complete histories proves out that this is more of a Hockey and Baseball town than anything else.

Listening to sports talk radio isn't a valid source of data. The people who call in are as dumb as rocks and the hosts pander/troll to that fact.

I can't believe you live here, and have live here your whole life, and need someone to tell you this.

Me making the reference to the popuarilty of basketball in New England one sport, shouldn't label a town "a front runner" given as its been referenced the passion fans have here for baseball, football and hockey.

You moving here means just as much as me living here, and when exactly and how exactly the popularity of football hit New England is pretty accurate by me, also i referenced the popularity of the sport raising too, so you aren't saying anything different to what I have said. You just decided to go into detail.

also at no point did i ever mention a sports radio fan, i brought up sports radio because the subject has been brought up a few times by the host of these stations which a few of the host are columnist, and authors who also in turn bring in guest who are columnist, authors and historians.

So, it took another 29 years for this to impact New England... or, the Patriots sucked that whole time and when Parcells got hired = winning = bandwagon.

Exactly what I was saying. The combination of accessibility to both gambling and easier dedication to viewing = huge shift in popularity, which would have helped EVERY team eclipse other sports teams in popularity. Even teams like the Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins with long histories of being the championed teams here in this city.

Like I was saying. 1994 happens to fall right in that range of the popularity growth they were measuring with the SMG research.

Look at that, what an amazing correlation between popularity and success. Whoa. I like the last sentence about the Cardinals, which downright implies the Cardinals would have ranked better if the survey had been done after their SB trip.

Finally. I rest my case.

The growth in popularity of the Patriots is a product of success and the natural benefit of them being part of the most popular sport in the country. It's not because of loyalty. It's because after a decades and even a century of devotion to being Sox, Celtics and Bruins fans, the Patriots win more. If/when that stops, the Patriots will probably fall behind the Sox in popularity again (if the Sox keep winning) because this is one of the few cities in the country where it's a true baseball town (check your history, yo) and the team could compete for that top spot because of it.

You brought all this in here and the one reference to New England Patriots doesn't even say much, we aren't arguing the popularity of football nationally, i never said or never ignored the popularity raising everywhere but your argument is the popularity of the team is solely based on the popularity raising as a whole and you are wrong, and i gave you events that happened based on the love for the team.

case in point, their games went from being blacked out prior to 94 to all their games being televised from 94 to now. I mean as popluar as football is, wasn't buc games still being blacked out? Wasn't a jet game last season in danger of being blacked out, it was only recently the NFL said no more games will be blacked out from their fans

You could keep your view of what New England fans are, I said my point. 

Archived