Tuesday could trigger another wave of free agency ~ ~ ~

kelly

Tuesday could trigger another wave of free agency

The 2015 free agency process could be getting a kick in the pants.

Sort of.

In past years, the window for free agency additions counting toward the compensatory draft pick formula closed on June 1. This year, for the first time, it has moved to May 12.It means that any remaining unrestricted free agents whose prior contracts expired on March 10 can join new teams without that transaction counting toward the new team’s total free agency gains and losses for the purposes of determining compensatory picks in 2016. For a player’s former team, the transaction won’t count as a loss for free-agency purposes after May 12.

Notable available names include quarterbacks Mike Vick, Tarvaris Jackson, and Matt Flynn, running back Chris Johnson, receiver Wes Welker, tight end Jermaine Gresham, and tackle Joe Barksdale.The NFL adjusted the date to give teams a chance to add veterans in time for meaningful participation in offseason workouts and minicamps. By June 1, the offseason programs begin to wind down.

> http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/11/tuesday-could-trigger-another-wave-of-free-agency/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Can't believe Cumby is still on the roster.

neither can i..

:confused0082:

You guys do realize that the Jets signed Kellen Davis as a free agent.  Davis 50/561 12TDs over 7 seasons, Cumberland 81/1042 10 TDs over 5.  Last 3 seasons:  Cumberland 78/1,004+10, Davis 22/261+3.  You may not love the guy, but there is a place for him in a league that pays Kellen Davis $1M

Miami must be excited. They hired the lord of the mini draft.

Say what we will about Tannenbaum but one thing he was always really good at was getting every draft pick signed, which he did for the Fins in one day last week

You guys do realize that the Jets signed Kellen Davis as a free agent.  Davis 50/561 12TDs over 7 seasons, Cumberland 81/1042 10 TDs over 5.  Last 3 seasons:  Cumberland 78/1,004+10, Davis 22/261+3.  You may not love the guy, but there is a place for him in a league that pays Kellen Davis $1M

wow I did not know that Dom 50 catches for 561and 12 TD's he a big ol' 6'7" monster from Sasquatch country

wow I did not know that Dom 50 catches for 561and 12 TD's he a big ol' 6'7" monster from Sasquatch country

Listen to dbatesman.  He watched the guy at his peak in Chicago.  In each of the last 3 years Cumberland has more catches/yards than Davis' best season.  Supposedly he can block, but he is a guy we are hoping is beat out in camp.

Listen to dbatesman. He watched the guy at his peak in Chicago. In each of the last 3 years Cumberland has more catches/yards than Davis' best season. Supposedly he can block, but he is a guy we are hoping is beat out in camp.

I've never seen anybody suggest that Kellen Davis can block besides Jets fans who don't know anything about him except that he plays for the Jets.

I've never seen anybody suggest that Kellen Davis can block besides Jets fans who don't know anything about him except that he plays for the Jets.

I have only repeated what I have heard from Jets fans who don't know anything about him except that he plays for the Jets.  I thought I made that clear. TBT, I tend to think that it has nothing to do with who he plays for and simply relates to people looking at height/weight.

If I am not mistaken I believe Davis was signed more for his blocking than receiving as we had no blocking TE on the roster.  Cumby and Sudfeld really need to step up.  I can see Wes Saxton competing for a spot and maybe beating one of those guys out. 

If I am not mistaken I believe Davis was signed more for his blocking than receiving as we had no blocking TE on the roster.  Cumby and Sudfeld really need to step up.  I can see Wes Saxton competing for a spot and maybe beating one of those guys out. 

See?

Really? Here are three articles calling him a blocking tight end. . 

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The Jets had long been looking for a blocking tight end and on Wednesday found a good one.

Veteran Kellen Davis agreed to a one-year contract, the team announced. Financialicon1.png terms of the deal were not immediately known.

Davis, who reportedly visited the Jets on Tuesday, wascuticon1.png by the Giants at the end of training camp last season before eventually appearing in six games for the Detroit Lions. In 2013, he played in 15 games for the eventual Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks.

A fifth round pick in 2008, Davis had his best receiving seasons with the Chicago Bears in 2011 and 2012, registering a combined 37 receptions for 435 yardsicon1.pngand seven touchdowns.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/03/25/reports-jets-sign-veteran-tight-end-davis/

One of the elements the New York Jets lacked last season was a true blocking tight end. Now they have one.

On Wednesday, they signed former Detroit Lions tight end Kellen Davis to a one-year contract, according to a league source.

The 29-year-old Davis, joining his sixth team in nine years, will join a tight-end group that includes Jace AmaroJeff Cumberland andZach Sudfeld, all of whom are better receivers than blockers. Davis has only 50 career receptions -- only three over the last two seasons -- so we're not talking about a player who will be featured in the passing game.

Davis (6-foot-7, 265 pounds), who won a Super Bowl ring with the Seattle Seahawks in 2013, played only six games with the Lions. After getting cut by the New York Giants in training camp, he didn't sign with the Lions until October. He got released a month later and returned in December. He played only 137 snaps on offense, had no catches and was targeted just three times.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/50165/jets-sign-former-lions-te-kellen-davis

PHOENIX — The Jets have added a blocking tight end by signing free agent Kellen Davis, who had been cut by the Giants at the end of training camp last year, a league source confirmed.  Word of the signing was first reported by Rand Getlin of Yahoo Sports. The league source also confirmed the deal was for one year. Financial terms were not disclosed.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/03/jets_sign_former_giants_tight_end_kellen_davis_sou.html

Really? Here are three articles calling him a blocking tight end. . 

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The Jets had long been looking for a blocking tight end and on Wednesday found a good one.

Veteran Kellen Davis agreed to a one-year contract, the team announced. Financialicon1.png terms of the deal were not immediately known.

Davis, who reportedly visited the Jets on Tuesday, wascuticon1.png by the Giants at the end of training camp last season before eventually appearing in six games for the Detroit Lions. In 2013, he played in 15 games for the eventual Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks.

A fifth round pick in 2008, Davis had his best receiving seasons with the Chicago Bears in 2011 and 2012, registering a combined 37 receptions for 435 yardsicon1.pngand seven touchdowns.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/03/25/reports-jets-sign-veteran-tight-end-davis/

One of the elements the New York Jets lacked last season was a true blocking tight end. Now they have one.

On Wednesday, they signed former Detroit Lions tight end Kellen Davis to a one-year contract, according to a league source.

The 29-year-old Davis, joining his sixth team in nine years, will join a tight-end group that includes Jace AmaroJeff Cumberland andZach Sudfeld, all of whom are better receivers than blockers. Davis has only 50 career receptions -- only three over the last two seasons -- so we're not talking about a player who will be featured in the passing game.

Davis (6-foot-7, 265 pounds), who won a Super Bowl ring with the Seattle Seahawks in 2013, played only six games with the Lions. After getting cut by the New York Giants in training camp, he didn't sign with the Lions until October. He got released a month later and returned in December. He played only 137 snaps on offense, had no catches and was targeted just three times.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/50165/jets-sign-former-lions-te-kellen-davis

PHOENIX — The Jets have added a blocking tight end by signing free agent Kellen Davis, who had been cut by the Giants at the end of training camp last year, a league source confirmed.  Word of the signing was first reported by Rand Getlin of Yahoo Sports. The league source also confirmed the deal was for one year. Financial terms were not disclosed.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/03/jets_sign_former_giants_tight_end_kellen_davis_sou.html

37 catches in two years....dude better be a blocking TE.

You read that stuff as "blocking TE"   You can just as easily read it as "can't catch"

I think that would be more along the lines of "out of the league" if those were his most productive seasons.  We shall see.

saw this...

~ ~   @RichCimini: Obviously, you're referring to safety D.J. Swearinger, who was waived by the Houston Texans. It was actually a waiver claim, not an offer sheet, but I know where you're coming from. In fact, eight teams submitted claims, and he ended up with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. This was all about competition and familiarity. Maccagnan was the Texans' director of college scouting when Swearinger was drafted in the second round in 2013, so it's a player he likes. His name came up in trade talks with the Jets during the draft and, as you know, they wound up dealing for another Texans castoff, wide receiver DeVier Posey. On waivers, Swearinger would have been a cheap addition ($723,000) with no strings attached and he would have added good competition at safety. After Calvin Pryor and Marcus Gilchrist, there are no sure things on the roster. Swearinger would have been battling Jaiquawn Jarrett, Antonio Allen and others for reserve roles. It was worth a shot.

@RichCimini: This is interesting. It's highly likely that none of their six draft choices will be opening-day starters. When's the last time that happened for a team that picked sixth overall? As you noted, Nick, Leonard Williams will be an immediate contributor. Beyond him, I think wide receiver Devin Smith is the most likely to have an early role, but a lot of that depends on Smith. If he can absorb the offense, improve his route running and develop an ability to read coverages, he'll have a chance to make an early impact. He has the kind of game-breaking skills they need on offense. I wouldn't expect him to steal playing time from Brandon Marshall or Eric Decker, but he could take time from Jeremy Kerley.

@RichCimini: Great question, Brandon. The Jets' four top backs -- Chris Ivory, Bilal Powell, Stevan Ridley and Zac Stacy -- have similar styles, which is a kind way of saying they're grind-it-out, between-the-tackles runners. They combined for 401 carries and 1,595 yards last season, which works out to a 4.0-yard average. In the NFL, that's called pedestrian. Not one of them has caught more than 36 passes in a season, and they've combined for only two receiving touchdowns. That said, I think Ivory will go into camp as the No. 1 back, but the plan is to have a backfield-by-committee. The X factor is Ridley because you know he has talent -- he ran for 1,263 yards in 2012 with the New England Patriots -- but the question is, how much can he contribute after knee surgery? The good news is they have solid depth; the bad news is that none of the backs are dynamic. Clearly, this will have to shake out in training camp.

@RichCimini: Ha! Good one. Where have you gone, Percy Harvin? There are no clear-cut answers at either spot, so training camp will turn into an open audition. I'd say Saalim Hakim is the leading candidate at kick returner, but he's hardly a sure thing. His instincts are shaky and his hands are stone, which is too bad because he runs like the wind. Walt Powell and T.J. Graham also will be candidates. Devin Smith did a little return work early in his career at Ohio State, so maybe he'll get a look. The winner of the No. 5 receiver job will have to excel on special teams. You can survive without a good kickoff returner because, let's face it, the job has been diminished due to the new rules. Punt returning, though, is a concern. Another season of Kerley? Say it ain't so. Mike Maccagnan needs to be on the lookout for a punt returner. The Jets finished 30th in the category last season and they haven't addressed it.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/51374/new-york-jets-mailbag-is-mike-maccagnan-still-looking-for-safety-help

Punt returns will be interesting.  They switched coaches again, and I wonder what the new guy thinks.  Last year we thought they "addressed it" with Saunders, but he had trouble even fielding them.  I am hopeful that there is a different philosophy and we are not looking at Kerley wave his arm for another season.

Punt returns will be interesting.  They switched coaches again, and I wonder what the new guy thinks.  Last year we thought they "addressed it" with Saunders, but he had trouble even fielding them.  I am hopeful that there is a different philosophy and we are not looking at Kerley wave his arm for another season.

"...looking at Kerley wave his arm for another season.  "

...that's it ! !

:winking0001:

Archived