NFL owner on Kraft-Goodell relationship: “Pretty much dead”

32EBoozer

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/12/nfl-owner-on-kraft-goodell-relationship-pretty-much-dead/

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 12, 2015, 7:29 AM EDT

Roger Goodell, Robert Kraft
AP

Robert Kraft has supported Roger Goodell in the past.

But with Goodell’s serious punishment of Kraft’s team, and Kraft’s staunch rebuttal last night, it seems they might not be as close as they once were.

In fact, they may not be close at all.

One unnamed owner (who has now forfeited the right to complain about leaks in his own building), told Mike Freeman of Bleacher Report the relationship between the commissioner and the Patriots owner was “pretty much dead.”

“The main thing [NFL executive vice president Troy Vincent] said is true,” the owner said. “We need to make sure everyone is following the rules. All of us. I think Roger made the right decision and my guess is the rest of the owners agree.”

That doesn’t mean they’re not a little anxious about how this impacts business between Goodell and a man previously identified as one of his biggest supporters.

“Some of us [owners] are waiting a little nervously to see what Robert does next, . . .” he said. “It’s positive that we sent a message that cheating will not be tolerated.

“I do think teams are looking around and saying, ‘What does this all mean?’ Teams are figuring it all out. But I think the bottom line is, don’t cheat, and you don’t have to worry about getting punished.”

That kind of moral certitude is probably popular (or at least easy to sell) in 31 other front offices at the moment, but belies a complicated truth, and a working relationship that might have just been strained beyond the point of repair.

What a charade. The pats save a net of $600,000 and keep their star qb healthy for the last 3/4 of the season. The draft picks are the biggest punishment but considering their track record in the draft recently it's not a huge loss.

Hopefully this leads to the END of the Roger Goodell debacle!!

Yea right.

This whole thing was orchestrated to make Goodell seem objective when he's Kraft's piss boy. The patriots save money and extend the career of their 38 year old qb.

Fumble rate is what is going to be noticed the most. Pats will now have turnovers like rest of NFL.

some say 'what about ridley?'... he maybe is just a horrific fumbler , even if ball flat and glued to his hands.

Yea right.

This whole thing was orchestrated to make Goodell seem objective when he's Kraft's piss boy. The patriots save money and extend the career of their 38 year old qb.

C'mon now!! I know you're smarter than that!!

Home Field advantage to the Pats is HUGE!! That 4 games could cost them that advantage.... they don't cheat as well on the road as they do at home.

I bet he wishes that he never ordered all that spy gate evidence destroyed. Huge favor on Goodell's part for not allowing any of that evidence to go public. Then the team proceeds to stab him in the back a little over 7 years later. I think that's what the draft picks were all about this time. They are the FU penalty for repeating the past.

C'mon now!! I know you're smarter than that!!

Home Field advantage to the Pats is HUGE!! That 4 games could cost them that advantage.... they don't cheat as well on the road as they do at home.

They'll still make the playoffs and can win on the road. What you think they'll lose to the Colts at Lucas Oil what happened last time?

Boy... I hope you're right! Seems logical but the Jets need to do a better job of causing T.O.'s

agree, but forget Jets for a second, NFL stated in report that Pats fumble rate vs rest of NFL was mathematically hard to explain as it was so much lower 6 years in a row.

So appears to me Pats have been producing less turnovers than they SHOULD have that could have altered games, division titles, home field advantage etc etc etc Now thier RBs have to run w/normal inflated ball. aka more turnovers

They'll still make the playoffs and can win on the road. What you think they'll lose to the Colts at Lucas Oil what happened last time?

no one knows how Brady will perform w/nornall inflation for 1st time in years PLUS his RBs now will fumble more, that is 100% guaranteed.

Fumble rate is what is going to be noticed the most. Pats will now have turnovers like rest of NFL.

some say 'what about ridley?'... he maybe is just a horrific fumbler , even if ball flat and glued to his hands.

Funny how Belichick was so furious at Ridley he benched him twice and buried him on the depth chart twice in 2013.

Lol he knew nothing about the deflate. This investigation is a joke and Brady gets another month to bang supermodels in Rome or Rio or wherever the f-ck

no one knows how Brady will perform w/nornall inflation for 1st time in years PLUS his RBs now will fumble more, that is 100% guaranteed.

The fumbling affects the pats rbs and receivers more than Brady. He performed just fine in the Super Bowl when the balls had 12.5 PSI.

The fumbling affects the pats rbs and receivers more than Brady. He performed just fine in the Super Bowl when the balls had 12.5 PSI.

I 100% agree. I have been saying 'biggest effect thats not being talked about' is Pats RB's now maybe fumbling more, aka game altering turnovers and WRs now not able to catch easier deflated balls.

Funny how Belichick was so furious at Ridley he benched him twice and buried him on the depth chart twice in 2013.

Lol he knew nothing about the deflate. This investigation is a joke and Brady gets another month to bang supermodels in Rome or Rio or wherever the f-ck

Belly knew. Thast why Brady didnt turn his phone over. Implicate Belly. Thats why Belly sdo mad at Ridley, aka, "How can u freakin fumble with a deflated ball for gods sake?"

agree, but forget Jets for a second, NFL stated in report that Pats fumble rate vs rest of NFL was mathematically hard to explain as it was so much lower 6 years in a row.

So appears to me Pats have been producing less turnovers than they SHOULD have that could have altered games, division titles, home field advantage etc etc etc Now thier RBs have to run w/normal inflated ball. aka more turnovers

Were there any announcements by the NFL concerning the maintaining the sanctity of the footballs? Can only surmise that every team will be playing with balls of equal pressure from now on and the balls

will be constantly in the care of an NFL employee.

I 100% agree. I have been saying 'biggest effect thats not being talked about' is Pats RB's now maybe fumbling more, aka game altering turnovers and WRs now not able to catch easier deflated balls.

They will fumble more and +\~ in TOs will level out with the league average. I remember these idiot announcers and reporters praising Belichick for his no-nonsense approach being why the patriots had such good +\~ what a joke.

Belly knew. Thast why Brady didnt turn his phone over. Implicate Belly. Thats why Belly sdo mad at Ridley, aka, "How can u freakin fumble with a deflated ball for gods sake?"

The real punishment would have been $5 million with no suspension of Brady but Beluchick out for the season.

I hope the league begins to isolate Kraft from all the free PR he and the Pats get moving forward.

Also hoping to see NFL Network and ESPN get the marching orders to lay off all the Pats focus.... If we're lucky Bruschi and Heath get demoted to the overnight desk

Super Bowl MVP plus the zero turnover game against the Jets when the balls were supposedly at 16 psi might provide some clues.   

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/12/nfl-owner-on-kraft-goodell-relationship-pretty-much-dead/

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 12, 2015, 7:29 AM EDT

Roger Goodell, Robert Kraft

AP

Robert Kraft has supported Roger Goodell in the past.

But with Goodell’s serious punishment of Kraft’s team, and Kraft’s staunch rebuttal last night, it seems they might not be as close as they once were.

In fact, they may not be close at all.

One unnamed owner (who has now forfeited the right to complain about leaks in his own building), told Mike Freeman of Bleacher Report the relationship between the commissioner and the Patriots owner was “pretty much dead.”

“The main thing [NFL executive vice president Troy Vincent] said is true,” the owner said. “We need to make sure everyone is following the rules. All of us. I think Roger made the right decision and my guess is the rest of the owners agree.”

That doesn’t mean they’re not a little anxious about how this impacts business between Goodell and a man previously identified as one of his biggest supporters.

“Some of us [owners] are waiting a little nervously to see what Robert does next, . . .” he said. “It’s positive that we sent a message that cheating will not be tolerated.

“I do think teams are looking around and saying, ‘What does this all mean?’ Teams are figuring it all out. But I think the bottom line is, don’t cheat, and you don’t have to worry about getting punished.”

That kind of moral certitude is probably popular (or at least easy to sell) in 31 other front offices at the moment, but belies a complicated truth, and a working relationship that might have just been strained beyond the point of repair.

Better be careful---that morality stuff could screw everything up, if we are not careful.

The real punishment would have been $5 million with no suspension of Brady but Beluchick out for the season.

If they really wanted to punish the Pats and hurt their chances of winning the division, they would have suspended Geno for four weeks, maybe longer.

I think Pats RBs turn ball over a lot in 2015

You may be right -- we'll see.  The part that I can't get my head around is that if it's so easy to hold on to a deflated ball, couldn't the Patriots find someone with actual talent to run it?  BJGE was easily the slowest, least talented, RB of the BB era.   I'd have to think that there was someone available who could hold on to the ball AND break off an occasional run of more than 3 or 4 yards. 

You may be right -- we'll see.  The part that I can't get my head around is that if it's so easy to hold on to a deflated ball, couldn't the Patriots find someone with actual talent to run it?  BJGE was easily the slowest, least talented, RB of the BB era.   I'd have to think that there was someone available who could hold on to the ball AND break off an occasional run of more than 3 or 4 yards. 

That's just the point.  You don't need to invest heavily in talented RB's when you:  1)  Have a really good QB; and 2) Don't have to worry about turnovers mainly because said QB is making the footballs harder to fumble or get picked off.

Few Super Bowl-winning teams have had tremendous RB's.  Seattle is the only one in the last 15 years that comes to mind.  Unless you want to put Ray Rice in that category, which I don't (not because of the punch; he just wasn't all that special a player).

Hopefully this leads to the END of the Roger Goodell debacle!!

Meh. Goodell sucks, but that doesn't mean I want him replaced with Kraft's new choice for commissioner. I actually think he strengthened his position with the other owners by not going too soft on the Pats, though. He's not going anywhere.

That's just the point.  You don't need to invest heavily in talented RB's when you:  1)  Have a really good QB; and 2) Don't have to worry about turnovers mainly because said QB is making the footballs harder to fumble or get picked off.

Few Super Bowl-winning teams have had tremendous RB's.  Seattle is the only one in the last 15 years that comes to mind.  Unless you want to put Ray Rice in that category, which I don't (not because of the punch; he just wasn't all that special a player).

OK, but even current Pats UDFA's Jonas Gray and Brandon Bolden have more talent that BJGE and they can presumably hold deflated footballs just as well.  Maybe BJGE happened to have some preternatural ability to hold deflated footballs, who knows. 

Archived