A rational commentary piece from a New England sports writer.

Jet Fan RI

I could not believe this piece appeared in the Providence Journal this morning. If a sports write from New England can be this reasonable, perhaps the appeal will fail after all.

Stinging indictment
Brady’s lack of cooperation adds to punishment
JIM DONALDSON
You want to hear that Tom Brady got a raw deal. I know that. You’re a Patriots fan, and so you want to hear that the Wells investigation was deeply flawed. You want me to join you not only in righteous indignation, but also indownright anger that the penalties levied by the NFL in the so-called Deflategate scandal are unjust, uncalled for, and way, way too severe. You want me, like you, to stand by “Our Man.” To say that the Patriot Way is the straight and narrow. To say that the NFL ran a sting operation on Brady and the Pats. That jealousy and envy around the league over the Patriots’ dominance for the last decade-and-half prompted a league-wide witch hunt. Believe me — far more than the NFL investigators believed Brady — that I totally get it that what you want to hear is that Tom Terrific shouldn’t have been suspended at all, much less for the first four games of the 2015 season. That the Patriots shouldn’t lose a first-round pick in 2016 and a fourth-rounder in 2017. That the Pats shouldn’t be fined $1 million — twice as much as they were as a result of the infamous Spygate incident in the 2007 season. Or do you want to pretend that never happened, either? But I’m not in the business of telling you what you want to hear, even though that’s the popular stance in New England, including among many in the media. Instead, I’m here to tell you that Brady made the wrong read. As a reading of Troy Vincent’s statement explaining why the Patriots’ superstar quarterback will miss the first quarter of this season makes very clear. Brady is brilliant at reading defenses, but he clearly misread the situation he was facing with NFL investigators. If Brady had nothing to hide, the NFL clearly feels, there was no reason he should not have submitted his text messages and emails for perusal. Especially since investigators, as noted in the Wells Report, stipulated that “those requests were limited to the subject matter of our investigation (such as messages concerning the preparation of game balls, air pressure of balls, inflation of balls or deflation of balls) and we offered to allow Brady’s counsel to screen and control the production so that it would be limited strictly to responsive materials and would not involve our taking possession of Brady's telephone or other electronic devices.” Brady hurt himself — badly — by his refusal. On principle, I believe Brady was in the right. His text messages and emails are none of the NFL’s damn business. As a practical matter, however — to help himself and avoid hurting his team — he should have cooperated more fully with the investigators. According to Vincent, among the factors that merited “strong consideration in assessing discipline” was “the extent to which the club and relevant individuals cooperated with the investigation.” “The failure of Tom Brady to produce any electronic evidence,” Vincent said in his statement, “despite being offered extraordinary safeguards by the investigators to protect personal information ... (is) significant.” Vincent also mentioned Brady specifically when he wrote that it was significant that “key witnesses were not fully candid during the investigation.” Look, the investigation wasn’t perfect. If you’re looking for holes, there are plenty of places where they can be poked. But you can’t look at the Wells Report in its entirety and conclude that Brady and the Patriots are totally innocent and blameless in Deflategate. Spygate also reared its ugly head when the NFL was weighing punishment for the Pats. Vincent cited the team’s “prior record," their previous “violation of competitive rules.” Vincent also noted that “while we cannot be certain when the activity began, the evidence suggests that (the AFC Championship Game against the Colts in Foxboro) was not the first and only occasion when this occurred, particularly in light of evidence referring to deflation of footballs going back to before the beginning of the 2014 season.” If you’re a Pats fan, that’s not the sort of thing you want to hear. You’re irate. You may even believe that Brady and the Pats are blameless and innocent beyond a shadow of a doubt. In which case, not only do you not want to hear anything different, you won’t listen to anyone who says otherwise. If it soothes the pain of punishment at all, you should know that there are many football fans outside New England who believe the Patriots got off easy. And you’ll never convince them otherwise. After all, the Patriots won a fourth Super Bowl last season after starting out 2-2, and Brady will be back for Game Five this year when the Pats play the whistle-blowing Colts in Indianapolis. How about that for scheduling? And you thought the folks in the NFL office were fools. —jdonalds  @providencejournal.com   On Twitter: @JDonaldsonProJo

Brady can't have it both ways.  He can't say that his text messages are nobody's business.  Then,  expect to be cleared of any wrongdoing.   In addition,  he was careless.  He knew that he was being called on  the carpet for deflating the balls.  And,  he sent text messages about this very same matter after the news hit.  This is plain stupidity and arrogance.   

Brady can't have it both ways.  He can't say that his text messages are nobody's business.  Then,  expect to be cleared of any wrongdoing.   In addition,  he was careless.  He knew that he was being called on  the carpet for deflating the balls.  And,  he sent text messages about this very same matter after the news hit.  This is plain stupidity and arrogance.   

and expect to be perceived by the public of being completely innocent.  

and expect to be perceived by the public of being completely innocent.  

When Brady first came on TV to talk about deflategate,  I sensed he was lying.  He's just not a credible character and that's inside and outside of the field.

When Brady first came on TV to talk about deflategate,  I sensed he was lying.  He's just not a credible character and that's inside and outside of the field.

Agreed.

I think the overwhelming majority of people did. Not sure if you've ever done research on the body language and tells of liars, but he pretty much hit on ALL of them in that press conference. 

agree, u could see eye movement, body language in that interview,,it seemed 'off'

Here is a solid assessment of the dirty liar lying with his lies:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/pamela-meyer/liespotting-tom-brady-the_b_7226578.html

Here is one of the field experts:

http://www.ted.com/talks/pamela_meyer_how_to_spot_a_liar?language=en

There were many more links that I came across back around the time of his interview, I posted them in the threads back then for anyone willing to search.

Hard to see how any appeal works when he refused cooperate the first time. NOW he's going to cooperate? 

+1

what's he going to say, 'i was just kidding, i'll cooperate now.'  ok tom, can we have your phone now?  'uh, let me think about this one.'

Hard to see how any appeal works when he refused cooperate the first time. NOW he's going to cooperate? 

Well, here's a scenario: Brady's lawyer digs up some tech firm that claims the technical part of the Wells report is flawed. The arbitrator, likely a retired judge with zero technical training, concludes the technical matters are controversial, so throws out half of the evidence from the Wells report. Outcome: Suspension reduced by half.

Argh.

Exactly SouthernJet.  I never really liked the guy.  He may be a good QB but he lacks character.  

Dumped his pregnant model girlfriend for another model.  Forced underpaid guys to break the rules for him and then claims he doesn't know them and implies that  they did it on their own.  He's a great guy, this Tom Terrific.

Dumped his pregnant model girlfriend for another model.  Forced underpaid guys to break the rules for him and then claims he doesn't know them and implies that  they did it on their own.  He's a great guy, this Tom Terrific.

Do you know if he sees the son he had with his ex-girlfriend?  

Agreed.

I think the overwhelming majority of people did. Not sure if you've ever done research on the body language and tells of liars, but he pretty much hit on ALL of them in that press conference. 

Heheheheh didn't see your earlier post linking to Ms. Pamela Meyers!!

Yes she is very good, in fact I use her in teaching negotiation tactics and strategies!!

Anyone who knows anything about the field KNOWS Brady s lying.  This whole thing shows just how clueless the vast majority of the media is!!

Apparently they do not use paragraphs in Providence.

They do. But the cut and paste capabilities of the board are apparently limited. In fact, in the original article you sometimes get the impression every sentence is being put into its own paragraph.

They do. But the cut and paste capabilities of the board are apparently limited. In fact, in the original article you sometimes get the impression every sentence is being put into its own paragraph.

I dunno. After seeing what New Englanders are capable of this week, trying to change the grammar game seems like something right up their alley.

I dunno. After seeing what New Englanders are capable of this week, trying to change the grammar game seems like something right up their alley.

Right. Such as every sentence deserves its own paragraph. Almost as annoying as no paragraphs.

nice to read something from NE that isn't burying it's head in the sand at the feet of Sir Tom Terrific

agreed that press conference had as many tells screaming liar as a sl*tty ex saying she hadn't been out partying the night before and ending the night as the middle car of a f*ck train with two P.O.S. degenerate guys would have

agree, u could see eye movement, body language in that interview,,it seemed 'off'

He tried to be coy about it.  He tried to flutter his eyes at the press, like a flirting female.  Everything about his body language was disingenuous

Basically, he is a wiseass.  A privileged punk.  Real good QB, though.

His text messages and emails are none of the NFL’s damn business.

lol

he tried to be fair, but just couldn't go all the way

LOL. NFL said your lawyer our lawyer only w/phone and info only related to ball deflation, infractions. What is he afraid of? Hmmmmmmmmmm

Archived