Can the Jets win the division this year?

Maxman

It's wide open, but I worry that the Jets have too many new pieces and could get off to a slow start.  They could be dangerous as the year progresses.  Buffalo should be the favorite outside NE based on last year, and its core having played together for a few seasons.  Still can't trust the QBs and could see Rex overusing McCoy.  Miami is an enigma.  On paper they should have been good the last few years, but just can't seem to get over the hump, something just doesn't seem right there.

I could see that for sure.  I think Miami is going to be very dangerous.  I know it is fashionable to dismiss them but they made some impressive upgrades in FA and the Draft.  

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all comes down the the QB. If they get QB play at an average level, the division is within reach. If they get Geno Smith QB play from the first 10 weeks last year...then obviously the division isn't going to happen.

What do you think...with Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB can the Jets squeak out 11 and 5? I still want them to give Geno a shot, the upside is higher...so that could impact things negatively if they start slow.

But I think the division is winnable. This defense needs to hold down the fort until the offense gets rolling!

No chance Geno plays as bad this year with real coaching and Gailey's system. I expect him to be decent to good at least this year under an offense that fits his skills. I think he will be flat out better than Fitz regardless he is much more of a JAG than people seem to think.

We WILL win the division this year. I think everyone is underestimating two things:

1. How big a plus not having Rex, MM, David Lee and Sanjay Lal coaching this team is

2. Just how much we have improved roster wise since last year. We are more improved by a significant margin than any other team in the NFL.

Yep, but the Jets have been competitive in most of our games against NE and now that we have a no nonsense coach will get the most of his players abilities.  Granted his a Rookie HC but I like our chances very much.  The Dolphins truly hate the Pats and with Big Suh on board,  you guys will have your work cut out for you.  The Bills have the talent and Rex has always given Brady a rough time.   While you may not believe in Buffalo, to pretend they didn't also make significant upgrades is kidding yourself.  

I understand that until someone beats them the Pats are the favorites but to me, the past means nothing this year and I am just saying prepare yourself; This going to be the new Black and Blue Division and you better hope your Pretty Boy (s) qbs make it thru the season. 

Never said the Jets weren't competitive against the pats, but the end of the day you guys still lost right? Just saying, you guys improved, fins improved etc. Although the pats didn't make any "sexy" news as far as acquiring talent. They still added players and you know they are famous for getting nobodies to play well.

and about buffalo, even SUH....has Brady not played against a Rex Ryan defense before? Even before he was with the jets, he has played against a Rex Ryan defense, he played against SUH many a times as well. He being brady and the pats arent gonna see a "new wrinkle" they hadn't seen before. Still won most of the time...

still never said the AFC east wasn't gonna be competitive. Pats got their work cut out for them.

Never said the Jets weren't competitive against the pats, but the end of the day you guys still lost right? Just saying, you guys improved, fins improved etc. Although the pats didn't make any "sexy" news as far as acquiring talent. They still added players and you know they are famous for getting nobodies to play well.

and about buffalo, even SUH....has Brady not played against a Rex Ryan defense before? Even before he was with the jets, he has played against a Rex Ryan defense, he played against SUH many a times as well. He being brady and the pats arent gonna see a "new wrinkle" they hadn't seen before.

still never said the AFC east wasn't gonna be competitive. 

Again, you can choose to live in the past and find comfort there if you choose.  It has NOTHING to do with this upcoming season; no team stays on top forever. If you can't see what is coming that's okay; you will. 

Again, you can choose to live in the past and find comfort there if you choose.  It has NOTHING to do with this upcoming season; no team stays on top forever. If you can't see what is coming that's okay; you will. 

bruh what is your problem. I gave the AFC east and jets themselves props..and you all in your feelings like i'm dissing the jets.

it has nothing to do with living in the past nobody wins games on that "rah-rah, this is a new year" speech. The AFC east is competitive this year, the pats are still a problem. 

My guess is that the Jets will win the following

Cleveland 

Oakland    

Jacksonville 

Houston

New York Giants

Tenn.

And they will lose every single division game?  LOL!!!!!!!!!!

bruh what is your problem. I gave the AFC east and jets themselves props..and you all in your feelings like i'm dissing the jets.

it has nothing to do with living in the past nobody wins games on that "rah-rah, this is a new year" speech. The AFC east is competitive this year, the pats are still a problem. 

First I am not your bruh, secondly **** the Pats.  Any questions? 

.with Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB can the Jets squeak out 11 and 5? I still want them to give Geno a shot, the upside is higher...so that could impact things negatively if they start slow.

thats the conundrum. u try geno and he goes 1-3 then its toast city. unless he shows miracles in preseason (REMEMBER new playbook) then u have to go w/Fitz UNLESS Petty pulls a Russell Wilson in preseason)

It's wide open, but I worry that the Jets have too many new pieces and could get off to a slow start.  They could be dangerous as the year progresses.  Buffalo should be the favorite outside NE based on last year, and its core having played together for a few seasons.  Still can't trust the QBs and could see Rex overusing McCoy.  Miami is an enigma.  On paper they should have been good the last few years, but just can't seem to get over the hump, something just doesn't seem right there.

I don't think McCoy will be overused because the Bills have Sammy Watkins.

thats the conundrum. u try geno and he goes 1-3 then its toast city. unless he shows miracles in preseason (REMEMBER new playbook) then u have to go w/Fitz UNLESS Petty pulls a Russell Wilson in preseason)

Woody Johnson seems to be pretty high on Geno Smith.  I say this based upon an article I read about a month ago.  

Who's going to throw to him? McCoy out of the wildcat?

Some say Matt Cassel and others Tryod Taylor. Look for more ground and pound as opposed to throwing.  However,  if a passing game becomes necessary,  both Watkins and McCoy will be used.

NE defense is worse without Revis and Browner.  While Buffalo is about the same and Miami certainly got better with Suh. You seem to forget that whomever you have a qb has to face the Jets, Dolphins and NE Defenses too and we did did beat Miami last year and should have beaten NE.  You guys spanked us but the guy who was here is now YOUR Head Coach, lol.  Now none of that really means anything because this is a new season but to act like you have Joe Montana at quarterback is humorous to me.   If you think it is going to be tough for Geno, what will it be for McCown or whomever is your quarterback?   BTW just in case you may not be aware of, the Jets will have a defensive line and front seven every bit as good if not better than yours.  As for as our secondary goes it probably won't even be close. 

Agree, NE is worse without Revis but Butler is not someone to overlook either.   You are correct in that our DL is “about the same.  We still have our 3 Pro-Bowl Defensive Line Men, Buffalo finished 4th (NFL defense in 2014) Say what you want about Rex Ryan but I think he’s a defensive genius.  I expect our D line will be better this year.     I realize a win is a win but the Jets only lost by a total of 3 points (?) the last 2 games that they played against NE.  Rex Ryan knows how to beat the Patriots.  I think we will take 1 game against the Patriots this year.   Not sure if you statement means that the Bills won’t even be close to your second line defense or vice versa.  I am not overly concerned about our QB situation with our OL.  We won’t be going to the SB but I think we will make the playoffs this years.  Please be assured, I am not attempting to downplay your team in any way by listing who I think you will beat.  It is just an opinion.  

No.  Its the Patriots division until Brady retires.  He's not going to miss 4 games and even if he does, they still win the division with ease.  

Pats - 12-4

Bills 11-5

Dolphags - 9-7

Jets 8-8

LOL

Typical SOJF post. Go home and whine more.

that does nothing to me.....

and so this thread doesn't get derail, i'm done with you and your emotions now. I apologize to everyone else. Enjoy the thread.

It does nothing for me either other than show what a piece of sh*t liar your hall of fame quarterback is. I hate your team with a passion because they are a bunch of arrogant bastards who think the rules don't apply to them.     **** 'em. 

Agree, NE is worse without Revis but Butler is not someone to overlook either.   You are correct in that our DL is “about the same.  We still have our 3 Pro-Bowl Defensive Line Men, Buffalo finished 4th (NFL defense in 2014) Say what you want about Rex Ryan but I think he’s a defensive genius.  I expect our D line will be better this year.     I realize a win is a win but the Jets only lost by a total of 3 points (?) the last 2 games that they played against NE.  Rex Ryan knows how to beat the Patriots.  I think we will take 1 game against the Patriots this year.   Not sure if you statement means that the Bills won’t even be close to your second line defense or vice versa.  I am not overly concerned about our QB situation with our OL.  We won’t be going to the SB but I think we will make the playoffs this years.  Please be assured, I am not attempting to downplay your team in any way by listing who I think you will beat.  It is just an opinion.  

Right but your opinion is that we lose every game against the entire AFC East and that didn't happen when we had zero talent so why should that be the case now? 

Right but your opinion is that we lose every game against the entire AFC East and that didn't happen when we had zero talent so why should that be the case now? 

Because of Geno Smith.  It's also the same reason why I think the Bills won't make it pass the Championship this season -   Our QB position is not going to improve this year.

Petty doesn't seem like he would be an option this year. He has to learn some basics first.

I think Geno wins the job and if they are 1 and 3...they will switch. Hopefully that isn't the case. Win the opener and never look back!

Because of Geno Smith.  It's also the same reason why I think the Bills won't make it pass the Championship this season -   Our QB position is not going to improve this year.

Geno didn't just get here. He is a better player now then he was when was a rookie and somehow we still managed to win a few games in the division his first year including your Bills, and our team truly sucked talent-wise, that year.  We are not talking about a championship; we are talking about winning games within the division.  If you think we are incapable of winning even one game in the division, I guess you are just another Geno hater.    I think Geno will be just fine but even if he isn't, Fitz is more than capable of winning with the team we have now. 

How is this whining?  I have the Jets 4 games better than they were last year.

I think it is the fact that you automatically concede the division to the Pats "as long as Brady plays" which I think is bullsh*t.   I call that the Mike Tyson syndrome; you are beaten before you even step into the ring.  

I think it is the fact that you automatically concede the division to the Pats "as long as Brady plays" which I think is bullsh*t.   I call that the Mike Tyson syndrome; you are beaten before you even step into the ring.  

Ummmm...have you paid any attention to the AFCE since 2001? 

lol

Archived