Can the Jets win the division this year?

Maxman

Right but your opinion is that we lose every game against the entire AFC East and that didn't happen when we had zero talent so why should that be the case now? 

Just an opinion.  Please note:  I see you winning 3 more games than you did in 2014 and the Bills winning 2 more than they did last year.  With the changes made,  be it coaching or players,  it's going to take time for teams to adjust.  

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geno didn't just get here. He is a better player now then he was when was a rookie and somehow we still managed to win a few games in the division his first year including your Bills, and our team truly sucked talent-wise, that year.  We are not talking about a championship; we are talking about winning games within the division.  If you think we are incapable of winning even one game in the division, I guess you are just another Geno hater.    I think Geno will be just fine but even if he isn't, Fitz is more than capable of winning with the team we have now. 

No,  I am not a Geno hater - just think it's going to take time.

The division is wide open, it was wide open before Brady got suspended.  All other teams got better, the Pats got worse.  It's going to be a slug fest and the Jets have as big of a chance as anyone and that includes the Pats.

I think we could win 10 games with some luck...and sneak in as a wild card - but it's unlikely with the current QB's on the roster.

Fitz isn't taking us anywhere - the only hope (and it's a long shot) is for somehow Geno to take a big step forward in Gaily's system. 

How much worse is our QB situation than Buffalo and Miami? I think Buffalo is just as bad or worse than us at QB, Tannehill hasn't shown anything great yet and im not certain he will be able to handle the pressure of the Jets and Bills defensive lines. Then of course the Pats have Brady who even if he doesn't cheat is the best QB in the division...but their secondary going into this season is about what ours was going into last season. I think we have a good shot at taking the division.

The division is wide open, it was wide open before Brady got suspended.  All other teams got better, the Pats got worse.  It's going to be a slug fest and the Jets have as big of a chance as anyone and that includes the Pats.

I think we will see an improvement over 2014 over all  (except Pats) AFC East Teams. I'd love to see the Jets and Buffalo win all 4 games against the Pats.  

No.  Its the Patriots division until Brady retires.  He's not going to miss 4 games and even if he does, they still win the division with ease.  

Pats - 12-4

Bills 11-5

Dolphags - 9-7

Jets 8-8

Geno: 6-10

Fitz: 10-6

So your 8-8 is probably the net present value until we know the starter

No,  I am not a Geno hater - just think it's going to take time.

So it is not going to take time for the Bills?  Geno has been the qb for the last 3 years and has played and won games against the AFC East already.  Fitz has proven he can win in this league and had a pretty decent year stat wise last year.  Who will be the Bills qb? Do you even know yet?  How can you assume anything until you even know who your qb will be?  Yet you make the assumption we won't win a single division game because of Geno Smith?   Sorry but that just doesn't make any sense to me; it isn't like he hasn't beaten AFC East teams before. 

This what I have been saying.  It was not a given the Pats were going to win even before the suspension, I don't give a rats ass about how many divisions they won in the past.  As you posted, it is going to be a slug fest indeed and while there is no love lost between any of them, I bet they all share a serious hatred of the Patriots and desire to knock them off that pedestal. 

So it is not going to take time for the Bills?  Geno has been the qb for the last 3 years and has played and won games against the AFC East already.  Fitz has proven he can win in this league and had a pretty decent year stat wise last year.  Who will be the Bills qb? Do you even know yet?  How can you assume anything until you even know who your qb will be?  Yet you make the assumption we won't win a single division game because of Geno Smith?   Sorry but that just doesn't make any sense to me; it isn't like he hasn't beaten AFC East teams before. 

Yes,  it is going to take time for the Bills.  That's why my prediction is 11-5 this year (2 more wins than 2014).  We also have a seasoned QB Matt Cassel.  Tyrod Taylor is no rookie either.  We recognize that we do not have a top QB and are building our offense around this glitch.     My opinion for NJ Jets is that they will win 3 more games than they did in 2014.  I also believe it's going take time for your team to become acclimated to the changes made.  I think Geno will be better this year but I don't believe he is Championship or SB material.   I'll be happy if the Bills make playoffs.

Yes,  it is going to take time for the Bills.  That's why my prediction is 11-5 this year (2 more wins than 2014).  We also have a seasoned QB Matt Cassel.  Tyrod Taylor is no rookie either.  We recognize that we do not have a top QB and are building our offense around this glitch.     My opinion for NJ Jets is that they will win 3 more games than they did in 2014.  I also believe it's going take time for your team to become acclimated to the changes made.  I think Geno will be better this year but I don't believe he is Championship or SB material.   I'll be happy if the Bills make playoffs.

Okay for the last time.... none of that is a reason for you to believe that the Jets won't win a SINGLE DIVISION GAME.  I don't even care how many games you think the Jets will win. I am trying to figure out is why you feel none of those wins could come against the Bills, Dolphins or Pats...  But never mind; it's Genos fault, even if he isn't the starter.  You say it will take time but realize that we don't play all our division games in a row.   They are spaced out through out the season. 

By the way just what has your seasoned quarterback Matt Cassel done?  or Tyrod Taylor for that matter?  What makes you think they will be any better than who you had last year?   You are building your offense "around this glitch"?   I guess I am trying to see, other than fandom, why you think you go 11-5 with admittedly no top quarterback and why you think you will sweep the Jets this season.   

Okay for the last time.... none of that is a reason for you to believe that the Jets won't win a SINGLE DIVISION GAME.  I don't even care how many games you think the Jets will win. I am trying to figure out is why you feel none of those wins could come against the Bills, Dolphins or Pats...  But never mind; it's Genos fault, even if he isn't the starter.  You say it will take time but realize that we don't play all our division games in a row.   They are spaced out through out the season. 

By the way just what has your seasoned quarterback Matt Cassel done?  or Tyrod Taylor for that matter?  What makes you think they will be any better than who you had last year?   You are building your offense "around this glitch"?   I guess I am trying to see, other than fandom, why you think you go 11-5 with admittedly no top quarterback and why you think you will sweep the Jets this season.   

I just don't think theJets will beat the Dolphins, Patriots or Bills this season.  My main reason being the strength of their D Lines and Geno Smith.  

Neither Matt Cassel or Tyrod Taylor have set the world on fire. They can get the job done with our ground and pound plays (majority).  By getting the job done,  I mean that we will make the playoffs.   

I just don't think theJets will beat the Dolphins, Patriots or Bills this season.  My main reason being the strength of their D Lines and Geno Smith.  

We will agree to disagree. You also can't seem to get it into your head that GENO MAY NOT BE THE QUARTERBACK and that it could very well be Fitzpatrick instead.  I guess there is no way he could beat those teams, yet the mighty Bills who have to face D lines just as good if not BETTER are expected to to 11-5 including sweeping a team with defense that could easily be the best in the league.  Yep I guess I will just let it be. 

Neither Matt Cassel or Tyrod Taylor have set the world on fire. They can get the job done with our ground and pound plays (majority).  By getting the job done,  I mean that we will make the playoffs.   

You are making an assumption here.  You hope they can get the job done because teams are going to load up to stop the run and make you beat them thru the air. 

We will agree to disagree. You also can't seem to get it into your head that GENO MAY NOT BE THE QUARTERBACK and that it could very well be Fitzpatrick instead.  I guess there is no way he could beat those teams, yet the mighty Bills who have to face D lines just as good if not BETTER are expected to to 11-5 including sweeping a team with defense that could easily be the best in the league.  Yep I guess I will just let it be. 

Well if Woody Johnson has anything to say about,  I think you will see Geno.  I recognize that owners generally don't make these calls.  However,  Woody seems to think,  based upon an article I read,  that Geno would be your guy.  The article came out before the draft.

You are making an assumption here.  You hope they can get the job done because teams are going to load up to stop the run and make you beat them thru the air. 

I think all posters regarding the 2015 season are making assumptions.  I am not suggesting a passing game.  Think we are going to run the ball more than pass.

The Jets lost to the Pats last year by a FG in each game.

They spanked the Fins in Miami.

Buffalo crushed us twice, we had no answer for their Dline.

No team added more than the Jets.

A pro bowl WR, the best CB in the game, a top slot CB, another safety/CB, a couple linebackers, the best defensive player in the draft in Williams, a serious deep threat in Smith, Fitz to steady the ship if Geno faulters.

We have as good a chance as any other team in this division.

Especially if the suspension is upheld & the Pats stumble out of the gate.

Not that farfetched that they could lose to Steelers, Bills, Cowboys.

Well if Woody Johnson has anything to say about,  I think you will see Geno.  I recognize that owners generally don't make these calls.  However,  Woody seems to think,  based upon an article I read,  that Geno would be your guy.  The article came out before the draft.

Woody Johnson does not have anything to say about it. It will be based on competition in camp.  Bowles and Mac are running this show; Geno will go into camp as the #1 and will compete with Fitzpatrick.  The best man wins.   Woody was just giving his opinion and it made perfect sense; I for one, hope Geno takes that next step because I think he as the ability to become solid quarterback.  I am just saying he is not being handed the job like he was under Rex.  He will have go out and win it.   Even if he does win it, he will also be on a short lease with a legit qb in Fitz waiting in the wings. 

A pro bowl WR, the best CB in the game, a top slot CB, another safety/CB, a couple linebackers, the best defensive player in the draft in Williams, a serious deep threat in Smith, Fitz to steady the ship if Geno faulters.

Not to mention beefing up the Oline with Carpenter and Harrison among others.  Plus an actual TE who can stay in and block.  

I don't agree that you added a lot of good players.  However,  you are one of the many teams (including the Bills) that are going to need time to adjust to all the changes.  I am a little hesitant on how the Bills will do against Miami (with Suh) and we've had a tough time against the Patriots for years.  

I think all posters regarding the 2015 season are making assumptions.  I am not suggesting a passing game.  Think we are going to run the ball more than pass.

I understand but teams are going to challenge them to beat them through the air; they may try the same approach against the Jets because both teams are not known for strong QB play at least so far.   I think with us having Marshall, Decker and Kerley our passing game will balance our running game very well and with Devin Smith  we can punish teams that try to load up the box on us.   

Woody Johnson does not have anything to say about it. It will be based on competition in camp.  Bowles and Mac are running this show; Geno will go into camp as the #1 and will compete with Fitzpatrick.  The best man wins.   Woody was just giving his opinion and it made perfect sense; I for one, hope Geno takes that next step because I think he as the ability to become solid quarterback.  I am just saying he is not being handed the job like he was under Rex.  He will have go out and win it.   Even if he does win it, he will also be on a short lease with a legit qb in Fitz waiting in the wings. 

Did Rex have a choice about Geno with Idzik on board?

I don't agree that you added a lot of good players.  However,  you are one of the many teams (including the Bills) that are going to need time to adjust to all the changes.  I am a little hesitant on how the Bills will do against Miami (with Suh) and we've had a tough time against the Patriots for years.  

I agree there will be a little adustment period but not as much as you might think. These are veteran players for the most part and not rookies.   I believe Buffalo will be a good team overall, but because of our division, it might not show in the record; same for the Jets.  Our toughest games will be in the division (with the possible exception of the Cowboys, whom we both play).

Did Rex have a choice about Geno with Idzik on board?

Not really, that was the disconnect.  Rex was forced on Idzik; that was one of the big mistakes Woody made.  He should have fired Rex along with Tannenbaum.  It was a marriage that was doomed from the start. 

I understand but teams are going to challenge them to beat them through the air; they may try the same approach against the Jets because both teams are not known for strong QB play at least so far.   I think with us having Marshall, Decker and Kerley our passing game will balance our running game very well and with Devin Smith  we can punish teams that try to load up the box on us.   

I think one of the advantages we have is that Greg Roman has numerous O plays that he plans to use.   It's going to be tough for opposing teams to get a feel of our plays the first couple of games because they will be completely different than those played in 2014.  This may give us an advantage in our first 2 games against Indy and NE.  

Not really, that was the disconnect.  Rex was forced on Idzik; that was one of the big mistakes Woody made.  He should have fired Rex along with Tannenbaum.  It was a marriage that was doomed from the start. 

I understand that Rex pretty much ran that show.  What is your impression of Karl Dunbar?  

I think one of the advantages we have is that Greg Roman has numerous O plays that he plans to use.   It's going to be tough for opposing teams to get a feel of our plays the first couple of games because they will be completely different than those played in 2014.  This may give us an advantage in our first 2 games against Indy and NE.  

Hello does Chan Gailey ring a bell ;-)?  You can say the same for the Jets plus the addition of Brandon Marshall gives us a dimension we have not had in forever.  A true # 1 receiver; a major red zone target, security blanket and someone who can also keep drives alive.   The combination of him, Decker, Kerley, Amaro and Smith will be VERY difficult to cover.   We will also run the ball with the 3 headed monster of Ivory, Ridley/Stacy/Powell to good effect. 

I understand that Rex pretty much ran that show.  What is your impression of Karl Dunbar?  

He did a nice job. I think he is a good DC.  However one of the biggest challenges under Rex/Dunbar was the inability of the defense to FORCE turnovers.  Now I don't know if that was more a personnel issue or a coaching one but it was a major factor in preventing Rexs' defenses in NY from being truly dominant.    

Hello does Chan Gailey ring a bell ;-)?  You can say the same for the Jets plus the addition of Brandon Marshall gives us a dimension we have not had in forever.  A true # 1 receiver; a major red zone target, security blanket and someone who can also keep drives alive.   The combination of him, Decker, Kerley, Amaro and Smith will be VERY difficult to cover.   We will also run the ball with the 3 headed monster of Ivory, Ridley/Stacy/Powell to good effect. 

Obviously,  I haven't covered the NJ Jets or other teams in the AFC AS CLOSELY as I have covered the Bills.  One advantage that the Bills and Jets have is that we will have a chance to see videos of each others' 2015 games before we play.    We will play NE and Indy with new plays but I am sure both teams will have some new tricks up their sleeve too.  BB always does.

He did a nice job. I think he is a good DC.  However one of the biggest challenges under Rex/Dunbar was the inability of the defense to FORCE turnovers.  Now I don't know if that was more a personnel issue or a coaching one but it was a major factor in preventing Rexs' defenses in NY from being truly dominant.    

Okay now here's the $64,000 question.  What do you think about David Lee.  I like what I see but what's your opinion?

making a mistake, it aint wide open. and on paper the pats defense got worse again going off paper, but it's May not sept. their offense is still the same. as i said before, they were capable of getting to the superbowl twice with bad defenses. The pats are capable of doing that again. (just using that as a point of ref.)

so I wouldn't consider the division wide open(a lot tighter, but not it's anyones division to win) with no other division foe having a capable enough QB, even with Brady maybe gone for four games. and how is it that the past is the past, but you can turn around and say..well the jets lost to the pats by 3 last year twice so..blah blah...I mean isn't the past the past?

if we arent allowed to talk about the past. 

Obviously,  I haven't covered the NJ Jets or other teams in the AFC AS CLOSELY as I have covered the Bills.  One advantage that the Bills and Jets have is that we will have a chance to see videos of each others' 2015 games before we play.    We will play NE and Indy with new plays but I am sure both teams will have some new tricks up their sleeve too.  BB always does.

Rex and his staff knows much of our personnel (especially on defense) although we have added a lot of new faces and some of the Rex holders are no lock to make the team.   Still that familiarity should help him a little when game planning against us.  Time will tell. 

Just do me a favor, though; Kick the crap out of the Pats and Dolphins and we will get along just fine :-)

Archived