Brady hires Jeffrey Kessler, may get away from being suspended

JetsFanInDenver

There we go. Brady has a chance to go scot free.

Link: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/brady-hires-jeffrey-kessler-sense-ban-vacated-article-1.2220608

It's the one name that literally shakes the NFL offices at 345 Park Avenue right off its foundation.

Oh no, anybody but Jeffrey Kessler.

MYERS: BONDS DEFLATED AS PATRIOTS VS. NFL GETTING NASTY

Tom Brady has got himself all lawyered up for the appeal of his four-game suspension by hiring Kessler, 61, a certified NFL nemesis and lifetime New Yorker, to represent him in his fight against the league. The sense is that Brady's four-game suspension will be reduced and potentially vacated.

Kessler, who works closely with the NFL Players Association, has been a pain in the butt to the league for decades, back to when he won the Freeman McNeil case which led to free agency in the NFL just over 20 years ago. He represented Ray Rice when he successfully got his indefinite suspension overturned last year and was deeply involved in the collective bargaining negotiations in 2006 and then the negotiations four years ago that led to a lockout. He represented Adrian Peterson, successfully getting him off the suspended list earlier this year.

install_flash.gif

At the time of the lockout, the NFLPA filed an antitrust suit against the NFL with many of the biggest names in the league as plaintiffs, including Brady, Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. Because Brady's name came first alphabetically, the lawsuit was known as Brady vs. the NFL. It was settled when the new CBA was reached in late July of 2011.

Kessler was also part of the legal team that helped get the sanctions in the BountyGate case overturned by former commissioner Paul Tagliabue, who was hired by Roger Goodell as an independent arbitrator.

RELATED: WELLS DEFENDS DEFLATEGATE REPORT, CHALLENGES BRADY'S AGENT

Kessler also represented Bill Belichick when he tried to get out of his Jets contract in 2000. That case didn't go so well and the Patriots eventually gave up a first-round draft choice to the Jets in return for the Jets letting him go.

peterson.jpgLouis Lanzano/for New York Daily News New York attorney Jeffrey Kessler has been a thorn in the NFL’s side for years.

Now he takes on Brady, who allegedly was the mastermind behind DeflateGate. Brady's agent, Don Yee, is also an attorney.

It's possible Goodell gave Brady four games for the shock value and to send a message around the league that cheating is not tolerated and nobody is above the rules but with the ultimate intent to cut it to a more realistic two games. Here is the appeals procedure contained in Section 46 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement:

— Brady was informed of the suspension late Monday afternoon and has three business days to notify Goodell in writing that he plans to appeal. The deadline is Thursday at 5 p.m.

— Who hears the appeal? It will be Goodell or his designee. If Goodell selects a hearing officer, he must consult with DeMaurice Smith, the executive director of the NFL Players Association. It's a certainty Brady and Yee will push for an arbitrator who has no connection to the NFL. Last year, Barbara S. Jones, a former U.S. District Court judge, overturned Rice's indefinite suspension for domestic violence. In 2012, Tagliabue overturned many of Goodell's sanctions in the BountyGate case with the Saints. Goodell selected Jones and Tagliabue. It's a safe assumption their phones will not be ringing with an offer to hear the Brady case.

nfl-domestic-violence.jpgJason DeCrow/AP NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will hear Tom Brady’s appeal or he can select a hearing officer, who would have to be approved by the NFL Players Association.

RELATED: PATRIOTS PROTESTERS ARRESTED AT NFL HEADQUARTERS

— Once Goodell receives notice of Brady's appeal, it must be heard within 10 days. Goodell will be in San Francisco for league meetings from Monday to Wednesday next week. That means the earliest the case will be heard is May 21 or May 22 — before the Memorial Day weekend — or at the latest May 26.

— When will Brady find out if he won the appeal? "As soon as practicable following the conclusion of the hearing, the hearing officer will render a written decision which will constitute full, final and complete disposition of the dispute and will be binding upon the player(s), Club(s) and the parties to this Agreement with respect to that dispute," according to the collective bargaining agreement.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure what this means - but the report was written by a highly respected lawyer in his own right and he seems prepared to defend his findings.

The proof is clear and obvious...plus the penalty is in line with other cheaters (i.e. performance enhancing drugs - which carries a guaranteed 4 game suspension)  

The suspension will hold at 4 games.

What are his findings? The Wells Report is absurd. It's a headline with no meat.

You want it to be true because you're Jet fans and the off season is really all you have to look forward to. That said, you're not evaluating it objectively, because if you did, you would see there is no evidence against Tom.

He'll be starting in week #1.

What are his findings? The Wells Report is absurd. It's a headline with no meat.

You want it to be true because you're Jet fans and the off season is really all you have to look forward to. That said, you're not evaluating it objectively, because if you did, you would see there is no evidence against Tom.

There is circumstantial evidence against Tom Brady and his behavior surrounding the investigation has not helped his cause. If this goes to a hearing, the phone's coming out for all to see.

Which is ironic given the fact that Brady wants to do this. If he goes to an appeal, the phone's free game.

Adam Schefter: Source Predicts Tom Brady’s Suspension Will Be Overturned

“Brady’s team is unreal,” the source said. “Talented, big-name lawyers: Yee, Kessler, etc. Prediction=won’t miss a game.” That obviously would be good news for the Patriots, who would be without Brady for a quarter of the season if his suspension stands. Cowherd asked Schefter if the Patriots are feeling anxiety or anger over the punishment. “Anger. There’s nothing to be anxious about,” Schefter said. “They know what the penalties are. They know the fight that’s ahead. They don’t think they’ve been treated fairly, and they feel like it’s time for them to defend their reputation. “I think they’re angry, that they don’t feel — they don’t feel, I know everyone feels differently — they don’t feel they did anything wrong. They don’t feel like they deflated footballs, they knowingly deflated footballs, they were treated fairly by the NFL. It sounds crazy to people on the outside who say, ‘You can’t break the rules of the game, you violated the integrity of the game.’ I’m just telling you, from their vantage point, they don’t believe they did anything wrong.”

http://nesn.com/2015/05/adam-schefter-source-predicts-tom-bradys-suspension-will-be-overturned/

Most text messages are only stored on the carrier's servers for a limited amount of time (~6 months for Verizon). This might've been Brady's play all along. It is likely the texts will no longer exist when it finally gets to court.

There is circumstantial evidence against Tom Brady and his behavior surrounding the investigation has not helped his cause. If this goes to a hearing, the phone's coming out for all to see.

We'll see who is more worried about having their phones looked at: Tom Brady or the NFL league office.

My bet is Tom could care less.

The NFL has no right to take peoples phones so ESPN can plaster peoples privacy all over the world

We'll see who is more worried about having their phones looked at: Tom Brady or the NFL league office.

My bet is Tom could care less.

The NFL has no right to take peoples phones so ESPN can plaster peoples privacy all over the world

Well according to Wells, they didn't even want the whole phone, they wanted the relevant texts only.

Maybe if he'd given up the phone to begin with, he wouldn't have to go to appeal.

Well according to Wells, they didn't even want the whole phone, they wanted the relevant texts only.

Maybe if he'd given up the phone to begin with, he wouldn't have to go to appeal.

Wells has no credibility.

Walt Anderson's testimony exonerates the Patriots and puts the PSI numbers in line with the science.

Wells chose to ignore it because he was on a witch hunt.

If any of you believe that pile of garbage is going to stand up against an objective judge, you're delusional. A 4th grader could tear it to pieces. It was media fodder and headlines for the haters, but it's about to get torched.

Wells has no credibility.

Walt Anderson's testimony exonerates the Patriots and puts the PSI numbers in line with the science.

Wells chose to ignore it because he was on a witch hunt.

If any of you believe that pile of garbage is going to stand up against an objective judge, you're delusional. A 4th grader could tear it to pieces. It was media fodder and headlines for the haters, but it's about to get torched.

Maybe so, but he seems much more active to defend himself then Brady or Don Yee.

Beyond that the rules are going to change and now neither team will get to mess with the ball now.

Tom Brady will start week #1 in the NFL opener for the banner ceremony.

I know you were all hoping to gain a competitive advantage by banning Tom over nothing, but you'll have to find another way to cheat

"You were?" We didn't do it. The only idiots on the Jets in this case are those stupid fans who bought billboards.

And I will rest easy in the fact that despite the hot wife, the rings and all the fame, I will still be a better human being than Tom Brady

Maybe so, but he seems much more active to defend himself then Brady or Don Yee.

Beyond that the rules are going to change and now neither team will get to mess with the ball now.

There's such a thing called due process. While ESPN would love it for Tom to come out and give a WWF speech, that isn't what intelligent people will do, no matter how good for ratings and click-bait news articles it would be.

If you're mistaking his silence for a lack of interest in defending himself, well, wow, I don't know what to tell you.

"You were?" We didn't do it. The only idiots on the Jets in this case are those stupid fans who bought billboards.

And I will rest easy in the fact that despite the hot wife, the rings and all the fame, I will still be a better human being than Tom Brady

All of you AFC fans crying about "integrity" could care less about integrity and just want Brady suspended so you have a better chance of winning the division. It's so transparent and obvious and really makes your crying about "cheating" ridiculous.

You want it to be true because you're Jet fans and the off season is really all you have to look forward to.

Usually, but this offseason has been pretty rough. First, we missed out on Revis (there was NO CHANCE he was re-signing here), and then we had to give up a draft pick for tampering with him.

Usually, but this offseason has been pretty rough. First, we missed out on Revis (there was NO CHANCE he was re-signing here), and then we had to give up a draft pick for tampering with him.

Really? Seems this off season is like any other.

1. Predict the end of the Patriots reign of dominance.

2. Predict you'll win the division.

3. Believe this is your year.

4. Have all of it be completely wrong once football starts.

There's such a thing called due process. While ESPN would love it for Tom to come out and give a WWF speech, that isn't what intelligent people will do, no matter how good for ratings and click-bait news articles it would be.

If you're mistaking his silence for a lack of interest in defending himself, well, wow, I don't know what to tell you.

If I were accused of something that would affect my legacy, I would be screaming bloody murder. Look at Bob Kraft at the Super Bowl. That's what I would do.

The reason Tom Brady is not liked is not because of his talent. It's because he an egotistical, smug douchebag. Doesn't ******* go to the White House when invited? Come on.

Brady is a lying, cheating, scumbag both on and off the field.  This is undisputed fact.  Him not missing a single game because he's got fancy lawyers doesnt change that fact.

You root for a an utter piece of sh*t in Tom Brady and a complete fraud of an organization in the Cheatriots.  You dont want it to be true because you're a Pats fan and during this offseason where egg has been spread all over his butt chin face and your teams, all you can do is try to defend these pieces of sh*t and fail in doing so.

If I were accused of something that would affect my legacy, I would be screaming bloody murder. Look at Bob Kraft at the Super Bowl. That's what I would do.

The reason Tom Brady is not liked is not because of his talent. It's because he an egotistical, smug douchebag. Doesn't ******* go to the White House when invited? Come on.

Uhh. Okay, whatever.

You don't like the GOAT quarterback who played his entire career on a rival division team.

Fire up the presses.

People don't like Tom Brady because he has been torching everybody forever. Patriot games are usually just about over by the end of the 2nd quarter, or a little into the 3rd.

Those kinds of beat downs start to wear thin on people after a decade.

That's why you don't like Tom Brady.

As far as the "smug, egotistical, blah blah blah," that's just stuff you apply to him because of what he does on the field.

Really? Seems this off season is like any other.

1. Predict the end of the Patriots reign of dominance.

2. Predict you'll win the division.

3. Believe this is your year.

4. Have all of it be completely wrong once football starts.

Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt. Please, continue telling us how due process applies to internal NFL discipline.

Tom is doing anything but being silent.  The words might not be coming from him but he has his lawyer, parents, team owners and media shills sounding ridiculous attempting to refute this clear cut proof of cheating.

Brady is a lying, cheating, scumbag both on and off the field.  This is undisputed fact.  Him not missing a single game because he's got fancy lawyers doesnt change that fact.

You root for a an utter piece of sh*t in Tom Brady and a complete fraud of an organization in the Cheatriots.  You dont want it to be true because you're a Pats fan and during this offseason where egg has been spread all over his butt chin face and your teams, all you can do is try to defend these pieces of sh*t and fail in doing so.

No evidence so this is just rambling, which is really no different from Jet fan rambling from 2013 and prior. You just have a few new words to throw into your diatribes.

All of you AFC fans crying about "integrity" could care less about integrity and just want Brady suspended so you have a better chance of winning the division. It's so transparent and obvious and really makes your crying about "cheating" ridiculous.

You root for the biggest frauds in the history of sports.  Wear it and wear it proudly.  

Tom is doing anything but being silent.  The words might not be coming from him but he has his lawyer, parents, team owners and media shills sounding ridiculous attempting to refute this clear cut proof of cheating.

"Clear cut proof of cheating?"

Even its supporters have to admit it has no smoking gun.

Are you new to the english language or do you just enjoy mangling it to suit your dishonest agenda?

No evidence so this is just rambling, which is really no different from Jet fan rambling from 2013 and prior. You just have a few new words to throw into your diatribes.

There is direct evidence and you're in denial.  You're team has ruined the NFL.  Wear it and wear it proudly. 

That said, you're not evaluating it objectively, because if you did, you would see there is no evidence against Tom.

I think the Pats fans argument is that while they know he did it, there's no solid evidence of it?

I think every cashier knows that if money disappears during your shift, you get fired, whether or not there's video evidence of it occurring.  This is not a criminal court.

You root for the biggest frauds in the history of sports.  Wear it and wear it proudly.  

Nah, I root for the most competitive, dominant and elite organization in NFL history, which went from a bottom dwelling team to an all time historic franchise in the span of one quarterbacks career. I get why you would be jealous

I wonder if you guys are bright enough to understand the hypocrisy in crying about cheating WHILE wanting your #1 rival eliminated from the game with no evidence of wrong doing so your precious Jets have better odds of achieving something in January.

And you wonder why I don't take your integrity whining seriously.

Uhh. Okay, whatever.

You don't like the GOAT quarterback who played his entire career on a rival division team.

Fire up the presses.

People don't like Tom Brady because he has been torching everybody forever. Patriot games are usually just about over by the end of the 2nd quarter, or a little into the 3rd.

Those kinds of beat downs start to wear thin on people after a decade.

That's why you don't like Tom Brady.

As far as the "smug, egotistical, blah blah blah," that's just stuff you apply to him because of what he does on the field.

The guy left his pregnant girlfriend, Bridget Moynihan, for another woman. That's a douchy move, no matter who it is.

If Peyton Manning were beating us up, I wouldn't hate him. Why? Because he has the "Aw Shucks" personality. He seems human.

Brady has the uppity attitude, like he is above me, not in football, but in life in general. It's not the fact that he has more wealth than I do, he chooses to flaunt it around, instead of keeping to himself. A little like Joe Namath, who is the reason why Brady can marry the supermodel. Ironically that's part of why Joe Namath is in the Hall.

Just like the Pats fans that thought this story would die or that the Wells report would clear Brady or that the commish couldn't suspend him based on the Wells report.... How many times do you guys get to be wrong before we don't take your posts seriously. 

LMAO at Brady and his high priced lawyer.Good luck with the discovery process and Brady being forced to turnover his cell phone records and those equipment managers. 

Mods please ban this scumbag troll. Get this filth off our forum once and for all.

— Who hears the appeal? It will be Goodell or his designee. If Goodell selects a hearing officer, he must consult with DeMaurice Smith, the executive director of the NFL Players Association. It's a certainty Brady and Yee will push for an arbitrator who has no connection to the NFL.

Wanna make a bet Goodell chooses himself? 

Archived