Collision Low Crossers (Jets Book)

DaBallhawk

IIRC Bellore was the guy they wanted to draft instead of McKnight.  I think Westy was really pissed about it.  I wonder if Bellore has any ability as an ILB.  They were so worried about using him on specials that he never really played.  He was behind Josh Mauga on the depth chart (a decent UDFA type like Pitoitua) but even when Mauga was hurt (always) or left for KC Bellore never got any run.

It was also one of the main reasons Rex and Pettine's relationship soured a good bit.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's who I (unknowingly) was referring to. Pettine & Westy desperately wanted to draft Bellore but Rex put his foot down and brought in this little sausage to make Sanchez happy. Bellore from what I've seen always showed up in the preseason at ILB. He's now with the 49ers, kind of a bummer. I'll take him over a Joe Mays any day of the week.

Everyone was pissed at Rex for this move. 

Rex also needed to show some balls and step in without worrying about his personal relationships with coaching staffs and hurting people's egos if he saw that something was wrong. He put too much trust and faith into the people he hired, and was too much of a pussy to do anything about it. 

Got a lot of mad respect for Pettine after reading this book too. 

Everyone was pissed at Rex for this move. 

Rex also needed to show some balls and step in without worrying about his personal relationships with coaching staffs and hurting people's egos if he saw that something was wrong. He put too much trust and faith into the people he hired, and was too much of a pussy to do anything about it. 

Got a lot of mad respect for Pettine after reading this book too. 

I think this is what AFJF was referring to.  The guy got a bunch of access, but he buddied up to Pettine big time. Between this and the press leaks the following season, it certainly started to look like Pettine was sabotaging things.  I don't have so much respect for Pettine because every time he had playcalling responsibilities the team took a step back and performed better when Rex took the reins.

Was he a decent player in college at least?

He was kind of a fidget and only ran like a 4.5 flat at his pro day, but I think he holds every receiving record at Colorado and they have had some WRs roll through there - Westbrook, Charles Johnson, hell, even Rae Carruth.  Unfortunately, being a good college player does not make you a good NFL prospect.

- David Harris is just like Revis when it comes to being a professional, putting in the work, studying, leading. He's obviously not an impact player (anymore) but overall just a great, true leader and a great role model for the younger guys. These two bring so much more to the table than just their skill or what they do on a sunday. They make sure everybody puts in the work, they make everybody around them better.

"Mangini guys"

Everyone scoffed at this idiom, but as far as I see it, the most important thing that Mangini did for the Jets was introducing this concept of adding players that live and breathe football and improvement. I pretty much hated everything else during the Mangini years though.

- Cro does what he wants on the field. I always thought when somebody plays off coverage and gives the receiver cushion it's because that's what the call is but Cro does it because he's scared to get burned. Pettine went after him all the time and kept telling him to play tighter coverage but he just wouldn't do it. Pretty amazing. Also he is seen as a soft player who gets dinged after every play almost. At least he acts like he's always injured, he knows how to milk it.

I think Cro has gotten better over time in this regard.  He's been slow to mature, but it's finally started happening in the past few years.  In 2012 when Revis went down he stepped up and had a pro bowl year.  2013 he played injured, but in 2014 he got healthy again and Bowles was very high on him.

"Mangini guys"

Everyone scoffed at this idiom, but as far as I see it, the most important thing that Mangini did for the Jets was introducing this concept of adding players that live and breathe football and improvement. I pretty much hated everything else during the Mangini years though.

IMO Mangini got canned too early. He wasn't a people person, but he was a decent coach and an excellent talent evaluator. Maybe the best the Jets ever had, better than Parcells, even. At the very least, Woody should have kept him around as a draft consultant or assistant GM, something like that. He drafted a ton of solid NFL talent in only a few short years, many of whom are still producing in the league today.

Was he a decent player in college at least?

Well he was productive in college but just like Tebow and guys like that their game don't translate to the next level. He didn't have the talent to overcome his lack of size/speed and his inability to play special teams. He was decent in college but nobody was going to draft him.

I think Cro has gotten better over time in this regard.  He's been slow to mature, but it's finally started happening in the past few years.  In 2012 when Revis went down he stepped up and had a pro bowl year.  2013 he played injured, but in 2014 he got healthy again and Bowles was very high on him.

He seems like a weird guy. Maybe he changed but the way he acted in 2011 was odd. Before the Broncos game he was mocking Tebow during film sessions, all week when they studied tape he was laughing at how bad Tebow was. Then he beats us and Cro was one of the reasons why because he wouldn't come out of the endzone on that final play when Tebow scored to make the tackle. And Dennis Thurman ripped him apart for it. Cro then mouthed off, almost got into a fight with Dennis Thurman, cussed at him. I think it was Thurman or Pettine who went public and sort of tried to light a fire under his ass by saying "we'll see which Cromartie shows up this week, good Cro or bad Cro". He couldn't take it, he never responded properly, the way they wanted him to. He was just immature. I'm sure he's changed, he seems very experienced and laid back now.

IMO Mangini got canned too early. He wasn't a people person, but he was a decent coach and an excellent talent evaluator. Maybe the best the Jets ever had, better than Parcells, even. At the very least, Woody should have kept him around as a draft consultant or assistant GM, something like that. He drafted a ton of solid NFL talent in only a few short years, many of whom are still producing in the league today.

He wasn't a good head coach.

I agree that a head coach should be able to identify talent, and he did, but at the end of the day he was a horrid coach. He duped most of our fanbase into buying into a 3+ year installation plan of a 3-4 defense. Perpetually leaning on the excuse that he didn't have the right guys for the scheme. A good coach builds a scheme around the guys he has. He, like Rex, was a bit of a conman. 

Mangini was a TERRIBLE coach.  He treated professionals like children and took all the fun out of it for the players.  After 1 year his novelty as a head coach wore off.  The 2008 Jets basically quit on him towards the end.

Mangini brought in great guys. Mangold, Leon Washington, a bunch of other good characters that we were kind of lacking the last few years.

I thought it was funny how Rex pulled Wayne Hunter aside, showed him some tape of the best LT in NFL history (Anthony Munoz) and basically just said "I want you to play like that guy." :face:

Just finished it a couple of months ago, can't argue with a single point you made here. 

The whole Jeff Weeks fiasco is embarrassing too, ******* guy didn't do anything when he was there and just a waste of space.

I just realized that Rex brought him up to Buffalo too. 

This really is the best offseason ever. 

Read it a long time ago. The Pettine ire  about the Weeks situation is something a  real NFL coach does not allow.Look, if you have supergenius Ernie Adams in the back office somewhere figuring out obscure rules and players to win games, then having your buddy on the staff makes sense. You  can tolerate a crazy person if there are tangible results.  But when Ryan has Weeks on staff mainly because he's a drinking buddy who offers nothing and shirks responsibility for his nominal job title that's a problem.It's corrosive to a boss's authority. Weeks offers nothing other than pissing off other coaches and showing players that you can blow things off with no consequence. 

Look at it in these terms-high school coaches and players use ipads to look at film, review the playbook, pretty much everything you can imagine. This is not some crazy new thing, it's an integral part of the job at every level of football for a very long time. The idea any coach at the NFL level could consciously tell the defensive coordinator he nominally works for that he doesn't do computers is somewhere between insubordination and incompetence. It's insane. it's like showing up to work to be a waitress in a steakhouse and complaining about serving beef because you're a vegan. And that is what Rex Ryan allowed to fester.

just arrived today via Prime..  Figured it was time to read it and see the truth rather than the tall tales the haters describe.  Funny how I have yet to read any reviews that talk about Rex' so called incompetence but I understand the Ilk and their agenda.

Didn't Mangini draft Gholston and Kellen Clemens?

Clemens actually turned out to be the best QB of that draftclass almost. The only one "better" I guess would be Jay Cutler. So there you go. That's how good the QB's were. As for Gholston, we didn't have any other choice. Nobody was thrilled with the Gholston pick but it's not like Mangini put his foot down and picked him instead of like a JJ Watt.

Clemens certainly didn't turn out at all but he also had no chance when given a shot.  An oline that had the likes of adriene clark and clements and our top wr being justin mcraphands.  I am to this day still enraged about the Baltimore game where dumbass dropped two sure big play passes when we were going to beat Rex and the Ravens.

just arrived today via Prime.. Figured it was time to read it and see the truth rather than the tall tales the haters describe. Funny how I have yet to read any reviews that talk about Rex' so called incompetence but I understand the Ilk and their agenda.

yo I think it's above DRA 8 so you might have a tough time with it

Clemens actually turned out to be the best QB of that draftclass almost. The only one "better" I guess would be Jay Cutler. So there you go. That's how good the QB's were. As for Gholston, we didn't have any other choice. Nobody was thrilled with the Gholston pick but it's not like Mangini put his foot down and picked him instead of like a JJ Watt.

The Patriots had traded up to the seventh pick that year, and Tangini were too afraid to let the last alleged blue chipper get drafted by them. The Jets pulled the trigger, and Belichick traded back to ten and took Mayo. The rest, as they say, is history.

Also, boar hunter!

just arrived today via Prime..  Figured it was time to read it and see the truth rather than the tall tales the haters describe.  Funny how I have yet to read any reviews that talk about Rex' so called incompetence but I understand the Ilk and their agenda.

LOL @ 'read it to see the truth'

Zero logic in that nacho bell grande head of yours.

Drafting your QB's childhood friend was a sign of incompetence. Especially when the entire coaching staff is telling you not to do it. And you hanging on to that guy, keeping him around, signing him to the practice squad, all that to not upset Mark Sanchez. That's a sign of incompetence.

Drafting your QB's childhood friend was a sign of incompetence. Especially when the entire coaching staff is telling you not to do it. And you hanging on to that guy, keeping him around, signing him to the practice squad, all that to not upset Mark Sanchez. That's a sign of incompetence.

Not only that, the scouts had s vested interest in that 7th round pick, they had bonuses hinging on the 7th rounder making the team and Rex just tossed them away. To those scouts a 10k bonus is huge money. At the least Rex should've paid those guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah...but the tatoo on his wifes arm showed he was deeply committed. :)

Read it a long time ago. The Pettine ire  about the Weeks situation is something a  real NFL coach does not allow.Look, if you have supergenius Ernie Adams in the back office somewhere figuring out obscure rules and players to win games, then having your buddy on the staff makes sense. You  can tolerate a crazy person if there are tangible results.  But when Ryan has Weeks on staff mainly because he's a drinking buddy who offers nothing and shirks responsibility for his nominal job title that's a problem.It's corrosive to a boss's authority. Weeks offers nothing other than pissing off other coaches and showing players that you can blow things off with no consequence. 

Look at it in these terms-high school coaches and players use ipads to look at film, review the playbook, pretty much everything you can imagine. This is not some crazy new thing, it's an integral part of the job at every level of football for a very long time. The idea any coach at the NFL level could consciously tell the defensive coordinator he nominally works for that he doesn't do computers is somewhere between insubordination and incompetence. It's insane. it's like showing up to work to be a waitress in a steakhouse and complaining about serving beef because you're a vegan. And that is what Rex Ryan allowed to fester.

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches/weeks_jeff/4a74ddea-b444-45e7-bca9-3f53b6fdcbae

Archived