If Brady's suspension overturned - give it up NFL - the players are laughing at you

You have to wonder why the NFL League Office even bothers to hand out suspensions when they routinely are overturned.

Given the over turned suspensions of Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson, where’s the power behind these?

Now that it is being widely circulated that Brady’s suspension will also be over turned, you would have to believe players laugh at these knowing the NFL cannot enforce them.

If Brady’s suspension is overturned - my message to the NFL is give it up…you have no power here and now everyone knows it. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to wonder why the NFL League Office even bothers to hand out suspensions when they routinely are overturned.

Given the over turned suspensions of Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson, where’s the power behind these?

Now that it is being widely circulated that Brady’s suspension will also be over turned, you would have to believe players laugh at these knowing the NFL cannot enforce them.

If Brady’s suspension is overturned - my message to the NFL is give it up…you have no power here and now everyone knows it. 

I would worry more about it being shortened. I do not think there has been an instance of a team penalty being reversed, i may be wrong. The players are unionized, but the teams are not.

This will be the commish's last stand.  I say Goodell arbitrates himself and gives Brady, Kraft and the rest of the owners a hearty FU.  The position of Commissioner has been neutered and he has been paid an ungodly amount of money over his tenure, so there are no real consequences.  He will mumble:  "I don't need this $hit" as he rides off into the sunset.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/ron_borges/2015/05/borges_roger_goodell_faces_key_choice_on_tom_brady_appeal

The League certainly has a real problem here if Brady gets off.

All I know if you cheat in school, get into fights or break any of the criminal or civil laws - you get suspended or expelled - period.

At this point all I can see is if a player has used PEDs or legally controlled drugs (even in states like Colorado where I live) the NFL has the power to suspend a player and make it stick. Otherwise the NFL appears powerless. 

Also at this point if Brady does get off (even with a reduced "sentence") the other 31 owners need to step in and make cheating violations a mandatory, non-negotiable, inclusion clause in every players contract that they can and will be suspended - perhaps indefinitely - if they are found to cheat. So cheating becomes a breach of contract.

This would only apply to new players though since I would believe existing players would be "grandfathered".

Personally I believe Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson should have been given a second chance and I'm glad they got it....as for Brady and the Patriots....sorry...no...

I almost wonder if this was the plan all along...Goodell knew he could hand down something pretty harsh, knowing full well that Brady would lawyer up and probably over turn it. League saves some face, Kraft pays the price of doing business and loses .001% of his revenue from 2014 fighting the punishment, everyone moves forward at the end of the day no different.

Jonathan Vilma wont be laughing.

Seriously, do you folks actually believe that NFL players like Goodell? Is it the Bro hugs on draft day?

You're right, and I need to add to the list that the things the NFL can make stick is collecting a bounty for intentionally hurting other players.

But seeing that the NFLPA would back this, who is really in a position to challenge it?

Even the players will back suspending players that go out to cut their careers short. 

I would worry more about it being shortened. I do not think there has been an instance of a team penalty being reversed, i may be wrong. The players are unionized, but the teams are not.

The thing here is Brady wants it down to zero - the # of games isn't the issue.  It's his legacy that he's protecting, any suspension whatsoever and he's a convicted cheater - having it lowered to two does him little good (except gets him two extra paychecks)

This is about the entire Pats organization going for broke.  This huge media blitz and constant denials are all to get fan support behind Brady.

Completely different. The NFL tried to use rules from a different period on an infraction from a different time frame. So the penalties were overturned.

This is completely different and unrelated.

Completely different.

The NFL tried to use rules from a different period on an infraction from a different time frame on the last few suspensions.

Rice was originally suspended for just two weeks. Then tried to change it to reflect new rules that were put into place. So the penalties were overturned. Just the penalty, not the conviction. Rice was still guilty.

This is completely different and unrelated.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it gets overturned.  Even though the "punishment" was weak, the NFL probably feels as though they've sent a message (even though they actually saved the Pats* between 600-800K with everything factored in).  

Now Goodell will probably have to look to overturn or significantly lessen the "punishment" because of the deterioration of his relationship with Kraft*.  Without Kraft* protecting him and running the league for him, one has to wonder how long Goodell can hold on to his job.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it gets overturned.  Even though the "punishment" was weak, the NFL probably feels as though they've sent a message (even though they actually saved the Pats* between 600-800K with everything factored in).  

Now Goodell will probably have to look to overturn or significantly lessen the "punishment" because of the deterioration of his relationship with Kraft*.  Without Kraft* protecting him and running the league for him, one has to wonder how long Goodell can hold on to his job.

If it gets overturned entirely.  I'm done with the NFL - I won't watch another game, buy another ticket until Goodell is gone...

Not a protest, I just don't want to watch a fake league...

If it gets overturned entirely.  I'm done with the NFL - I won't watch another game, buy another ticket until Goodell is gone...

I probably would be as well.

I actually took steps toward such a thing last year.  My usual Sunday would consist of watching football from 1pm until the Sunday night game ended.  Last season, aside from the Jets games (which I watched every single one), I might have watched an additional 5 complete games over the course of the season.  And, to be honest, I didn't really miss it nearly as much as I thought that I would.  That's how much Goodell has destroyed this game already during his reign.

The thing here is Brady wants it down to zero - the # of games isn't the issue.  It's his legacy that he's protecting, any suspension whatsoever and he's a convicted cheater - having it lowered to two does him little good (except gets him two extra paychecks)

This is about the entire Pats organization going for broke.  This huge media blitz and constant denials are all to get fan support behind Brady.

Yeah, I agree with this.

I really don't think Brady cares too much about the paychecks, he's made a ton, and his wife has made even more.  It's the legacy.

The League certainly has a real problem here if Brady gets off.

All I know if you cheat in school, get into fights or break any of the criminal or civil laws - you get suspended or expelled - period.

At this point all I can see is if a player has used PEDs or legally controlled drugs (even in states like Colorado where I live) the NFL has the power to suspend a player and make it stick. Otherwise the NFL appears powerless. 

Also at this point if Brady does get off (even with a reduced "sentence") the other 31 owners need to step in and make cheating violations a mandatory, non-negotiable, inclusion clause in every players contract that they can and will be suspended - perhaps indefinitely - if they are found to cheat. So cheating becomes a breach of contract.

This would only apply to new players though since I would believe existing players would be "grandfathered".

Personally I believe Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson should have been given a second chance and I'm glad they got it....as for Brady and the Patriots....sorry...no...

Wow.

One knocked his future wife out and the other tore into his kids ass with a switch...and Brady is a bad guy.   MMMoookkkaaayyy!!!! 

The league is a complete and utter joke.  The Cheatriots are the biggest frauds in sports and they can bully their way around the league with no remorse or consequence.  The Cheatriots cheat and the league adjust the rules.  The Cheatriots cheat, the league drops the hammer but then weeks later they will reduce it because the Cheatriots whine.

Its ridiculous.  My love for the NFL has been reduced every single season under Roger Goodell because of this type of sh*t.  It's day time drama meets WWF.

My whole life it was always NFL > NCAA.  Always.  Even with the Gators being the only sports team to ever bring me joy (expect for the Mets when I was 7), I still preferred the NFL. Well, over the past few seasons, its now NCAA > NFL and the Gators suck!

Thanks Robert Kraft, BB, Tom Brady and Roger Goodell.  You've ruined the once best league in all of sports. 

The thing here is Brady wants it down to zero - the # of games isn't the issue. It's his legacy that he's protecting, any suspension whatsoever and he's a convicted cheater - having it lowered to two does him little good (except gets him two extra paychecks)

This is about the entire Pats organization going for broke. This huge media blitz and constant denials are all to get fan support behind Brady.

Don't see it happening. Private employers can suspend employees for not participating in internal investigations, even if some arbitrator or court determines the deflating stuff is bogus.

Don't see it happening. Private employers can suspend employees for not participating in internal investigations, even if some arbitrator or court determines the deflating stuff is bogus.

Sure, but if the ruling comes down that there is no proof he cheated so they're reducing the suspension from 4 to 2 - and the two games is for not handing over his phone.

That accomplishes their goal.  They didn't cheat, legacy intact.

Sure, but if the ruling comes down that there is no proof he cheated so they're reducing the suspension from 4 to 2 - and the two games is for not handing over his phone.

That accomplishes their goal.  They didn't cheat, legacy intact.

Pretty tough argument to win... Standard in civil court identical to NFL's more likely than not standard. Best bet is to argue this has been going on for years with NFLs knowledge but they improperly singled out brady. Very standard union defense to negative employment actions.

Wow.

One knocked his future wife out and the other tore into his kids ass with a switch...and Brady is a bad guy.   MMMoookkkaaayyy!!!! 

Good point - but the difference was that both Rice and Peterson had criminal charges and penalties as their consequences. Their punishments occur there.

The matter involving Brady cannot be adjudicated in the legal system and the only consequence can be levied by the league. 

All these players deserve a chance to make a living despite their transgressions. 

Why would it matter if Goodell is gone? He's not the one overturning the suspension.

Why would it matter if Goodell is gone? He's not the one overturning the suspension.

It's a culture that he's established, but more importantly if it does get overturned I have no doubt the entire penalty and process was a charade.

I'm not saying it will definitely get better with a new commissioner, but I'll come back and give it a shot.

Patriots fight back with website attacking Wells report

Posted by Mike Florio on May 14, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT

Wells

Get ready for another Angry Ted Wells conference call.

The Patriots have fought back against the 243-page report generated by Wells with a website that picks apart the report’s Executive Summary, responding to many of the conclusions reached by Wells.

“The conclusions of the Wells Report are, at best, incomplete, incorrect and lack context,” the introduction to the website states. “The Report dismisses the scientific explanation for the natural loss of psi of the Patriots footballs by inexplicably rejecting the Referee’s recollection of what gauge he used in his pregame inspection. Texts acknowledged to be attempts at humor and exaggeration are nevertheless interpreted as a plot to improperly deflate footballs, even though none of them refer to any such plot. There is no evidence that Tom Brady preferred footballs that were lower than 12.5 psi and no evidence anyone even thought that he did. All the extensive evidence which contradicts how the texts are interpreted by the investigators is simply dismissed as ‘not plausible.’ Inconsistencies in logic and evidence are ignored.

“These points, and others, are addressed in greater detail in the following Annotations to the Executive Summary of the Wells Report by Daniel L. Goldberg, a senior partner in the Boston office of Morgan Lewis and who represented the Patriots and was present during all of the interviews of Patriots personnel conducted at Gillette Stadium. Our intention is to provide additional context for balance and consideration.”

We’ll be posting items throughout the day regarding the points made by the Patriots. It’s still unclear whether the Patriots will file a formal appeal of the punishment imposed against the team. The new website makes it clear that the Patriots have made a very zealous appeal to the court of public opinion.

Wow.

Yeah,  because there is a difference between off the field actions and cheating. Pete Rose has been banned from baseball for life while wife beaters get much smaller suspensions. In the end, the criminal justice system is responsible for handing out punishment for things like wife beating. 

http://deadspin.com/...ying-1704476913

The Pats have launched a website "refuting" the Wells report. One of their more pathetic explanations is that Jim McNally referred to himself as "the Deflator" in texts because he was fat and was trying to lost weight. 

If this is the best the Pats can come up with, Brady will be sitting until week 6. 

It has also been reported that Brady's appeal will focus on the authority of Troy Vincent and not on his claimed innocence. 

Brady is ****ed. 

http://deadspin.com/...ying-1704476913

The Pats have launched a website "refuting" the Wells report. One of their more pathetic explanations is that Jim McNally referred to himself as "the Deflator" in texts because he was fat and was trying to lost weight. 

If this is the best the Pats can come up with, Brady will be sitting until week 6. 

It has also been reported that Brady's appeal will focus on the authority of Troy Vincent and not on his claimed innocence. 

Brady is ****ed. 

Dude, you need to check out this diet I found.  I'm going to deflate so much when I'm done.  You dont really need to workout with it either.  You'll deflate anyway.  However, if you do work out and take the diet, you'll deflate down whatever weight you're looking to obtain within weeks!

We're having a deflate competition in the office.  I'm not sharing my secret deflate diet with anyone!  

Sure, right after youre through crying in your beer. Bro!!

http://wellsreportcontext.com/

That's the report that defends the Pats by claiming Jim McNally called himself the "Deflator" because he is fat. 

If that is the best the Pats got.... c'mon man. 

The Patriots entire defense is "other teams do it first" and "they hate us 'cause they ain't us."

Both guilty man's defenses. 

This will be the commish's last stand.  I say Goodell arbitrates himself and gives Brady, Kraft and the rest of the owners a hearty FU.  The position of Commissioner has been neutered and he has been paid an ungodly amount of money over his tenure, so there are no real consequences.  He will mumble:  "I don't need this $hit" as he rides off into the sunset.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/ron_borges/2015/05/borges_roger_goodell_faces_key_choice_on_tom_brady_appeal

Well Goodell has a net worth around 75 million so he won't starve.. He also has a unusual middle name..  Stokoe...

Oh... and the Pats just fired the two guys they are claiming didn't do anything wrong:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/14/the-patriots-fired-the-guys-theyre-passionately-defending-today/

GUILTY. 

There is just no morality in that organization.  ZERO! 

Tom Brady has no shame - all these years we were calling him a POS - not really knowing the guy - but it seems we were all correct.

Bottom line - Tom Brady and Kraft are bad human beings!

Archived