If Brady's suspension overturned - give it up NFL - the players are laughing at you

The last thing the NFL wanted was more negativity publicity with all the problems with players getting into trouble- no conspiracy needed the Pats tried  to circumvent the rules.

1) goodell messed up so bad last year, he sees this as a prime opportunity to show that he is in control of the league and is willing to punish his buddy's team

2) if the punishments aren't severe, it will send a message to all other teams that it's worth the risk of cheating, since the patriots won the super bowl.  that's what people are missing here.  the patriots cheated, won the super bowl, and now, they don't want to be punished for cheating.  well, if the nfl doesn't create a strong deterrent to cheat, then the other teams will ramp up efforts to cheat and then the integrity of the league is gone.  the mantra of 'integrity of the league' isn't just rhetoric; the nfl must demonstrate that any kind of cheating will be punished severely, even if there's only circumstantial evidence, and even if there may not be an actual advantage.  if the penalties aren't severe enough the nfl can become mlb in the steriod era rather quickly, where fans don't trust the outcomes of games and people generally think the league and its referees fix games (which frankly many fans already think when it comes to the pats).

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I believe it's possible, certainly not assured (albeit unlikely) but possible that this was an elaborate plan to get Brady off...

Goodell couldn't initially let Brady off due to he and Kraft's well publicized relationship....So, they have Vincent come out with a  ruling of guilty...

Kraft makes an uproar (completely beyond reason) claims his relationship with Goodel is ruined....

Goodell then hears the appeal and overturns it...Brady/Kraft are vindicated and Goodel doesn't look like he pandered to Kraft...

Pats win....

You are in "grassy knoll" territory here. It does not make sense on any level.

You are in "grassy knoll" territory here. It does not make sense on any level.

I'll concede it has conspiracy theory written all over it..

But I won't agree that it makes no sense - What Kraft has been doing makes no sense, it's entirely irrational - he's supposedly a very smart man that I'm sure is surrounded by smart men.  Why would he allow himself to look this foolish?

It could be he's a spoiled, petulant child that didn't get his way and is throwing a hissy fit (which I concede is likely) or he's doing this to create the appearance of a divorce with Goodel...

Define soft.  The league went soft on Woody despite his prior tampering even though he was clearly guilty of it.

The Wells report, the 'independent' report said they were innocent.

I think Kraft expected something along the lines of a fine for the "lack of instituitional control".  While it is ridiculous to expect a billionaire and coach to know everything that goes on, it was team employees and I get it, but the report said they were innocent the Goodell still hammered them.

This is the best you got? Woody answered a question in the wrong way. That is not tampering. Actual tampering would be something crazy like an owner meeting a head coach who was under contract to another team at a rest stop to discuss having him coach his team. THAT would be tampering. But no owner in the NFL would ever do something li...... oh..... right. 

This is the best you got? Woody answered a question in the wrong way. That is not tampering. Actual tampering would be something crazy like an owner meeting a head coach who was under contract to another team at a rest stop to discuss having him coach his team. THAT would be tampering. But no owner in the NFL would ever do something li...... oh..... right. 

The Jets allowed the league to "hang around" the Jet offices during the initial free agency period. They cooperated and provided access.

The Patriot organization, on the other hand has not provided access and candor.

There is a difference, and punishments handed out reflect cooperation.

Really?  What about a certain Jets' owner who was talking to a coach while he was coaching another team at the Superbowl?  Not your best point.

And Woody was tampering and the former Jets' employee let him of light.  No denying that.

Really?  What about a certain Jets' owner who was talking to a coach while he was coaching another team at the Superbowl?  Not your best point.

And Woody was tampering and the former Jets' employee let him of light.  No denying that.

Pretty sure the Jets got punished for both of those offenses. 

They never once tried to say that they "didn't do it".

How are the Patriots handling being admonished?

By acting like a spoiled little brat who isn't getting her way and throwing an insane tantrum. 

Really? What about a certain Jets' owner who was talking to a coach while he was coaching another team at the Superbowl? Not your best point.

And Woody was tampering and the former Jets' employee let him of light. No denying that.

And what jet fan did? We readily admitted Woody is an idiot who couldn't keep his trust fund mouth shut. Pats fans live in dreamworld where Brady can't do wrong

What was there first punishment?  I could not find it, but I digress.

A 100K fine for a 'prior' offense when the team is worth over a billion(?) and the owner is worth more than that?  Compared to the other teams busted for tampering that lost draft picks.

What did the team do?  The report says the team and Belichcik are innocent of any wrong doing.  I think it was you brought up the lack of instituitional control, fair enough, if you want to slap them with a fine, but they sucker puncherd them.

Kraft said he would accept the punishment when the report came out.  I think he would have been fine with the 4th and million dollars, but a first rounder?  No, that is a tad excessive when you are using a report that exonerated the team. 

You have to wonder why the NFL League Office even bothers to hand out suspensions when they routinely are overturned.

Given the over turned suspensions of Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson, where’s the power behind these?

Now that it is being widely circulated that Brady’s suspension will also be over turned, you would have to believe players laugh at these knowing the NFL cannot enforce them.

If Brady’s suspension is overturned - my message to the NFL is give it up…you have no power here and now everyone knows it. 

Damn, I read "Brady's suspension Overturned..." had a mini heart attack before realizing there was an IF before it.

Archived