Gil Brandt : Bryce Petty & Jarvis Harrison ~ ~ ~

kelly

With rookie minicamp season now upon us, it's worth remembering that someone somewhere will emerge as a Day 3 gem.

It seems to happen every year: A player selected in Round 4 or later will prove himself to be capable of taking on a big role on the field. Think of Redskins running back Alfred Morris (drafted in Round 6, No. 173 overall in 2012) or Steelers receiver Antonio Brown (Round 6, No. 195 overall in 2010) or even much of the Seahawks' Legion of Boom (Kam Chancellor was selected in Round 5, No. 133 overall, in 2010; Richard Sherman was picked in Round 5, No. 154 overall, in 2011).

Who will be this year's late-round star? Below are 10 players -- listed in alphabetical order -- who have what it takes to make an impact despite being selected on the last day of the draft :

~ ~  Jarvis Harrison, OG, New York Jets

Drafted out of Texas A&M in Round 5, No. 152 overall.

Part of a great Jets draft class, Harrison is an athletic, strong, wide-bodied player who can really move around. Some -- like the AFC scouting director quoted in his draft profile on NFL.com -- are worried about his work ethic, but I think his problem is that he doesn't realize how good he can be. I couldn't believe how well he blocks people. If his mind is straight, he can be a long-time starter for New York -- beginning in 2015.

~ ~  Bryce Petty, QB, New York Jets

Drafted out of Baylor in Round 4, No. 103 overall

Petty was one of the most talked-about players in the draft. Some observers questioned whether the quarterback would succeed in the NFL, while others raved about his athletic ability, arm strength and intelligence. Petty played hurt for much of 2014, but he showed what he could do in the Cotton Bowl against Michigan State, racking up 550 yards and posting a 71 percent completion rate. He has tons of natural talent. That said, he must improve on some things -- he was sacked 22 times last season, and he needs to get more air under the ball for deep throws -- but he'll work on that. Petty has a great chance to succeed in New York, should he find himself on the field -- especially with Chan Gailey, who is a patient and effective teacher, as the Jets' offensive coordinator.

rest of above article :

> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000492509/article/bryce-petty-david-cobb-among-impact-players-drafted-on-day-3

both of these guys easily could hit the jackpot.

Harrision will be given an opportunity to show off his athleticism & talent immediately & placed in between two top level professionals to learn how to get the max out of himself.

Petty will be the opposite ... he will be given the opportunity to sit on the bench for at least a year and learn.  Then there will be a good chance for him to become a long time "The Guy" in year 2 or 3

Harrison absolutely will be given a shot at one of the starting guard spots

all these other guys (Oday, Dozier, Winters) they have no ties to 

as for Petty, these are the reasons I don't like this pick 

• he's old. Like 3 years older than Leonard Williams. 5 years passed between his Senior year of HS and his junior year at Baylor
  • he's injury prone. Broke his back last year and was concussed against Texas Tech. Another concussion in HS. 
  • he was just terrible at the Senior Bowl 
  • he is lacking in pocket awareness
  • he can't read a defense 
  • he can't take a snap from center (or do any of the play fakes associated with that skill such as play action) . 

Hopefully I am wrong and Bryce Petty is the next Joe Montana. the best thing he's got going for him now is that he isn't Geno Smith.

• he's old. Like 3 years older than Leonard Williams. 5 years passed between his Senior year of HS and his junior year at Baylor
  • he's injury prone. Broke his back last year and was concussed against Texas Tech. Another concussion in HS. 
  • he can't take a snap from center (or do any of the play fakes associated with that skill such as play action) . 

Hopefully I am wrong and Bryce Petty is the next Joe Montana. the best thing he's got going for him now is that he isn't Geno Smith.

The way you describe him he WORSE than Geno. 

The way you describe him he WORSE than Geno. 

he was drafted 2 rounds lower than Geno 

and actually part of the same recruiting class as him in HS. Matt Barkley too. 

let's not forget Geno was drafted in the same round as Kellen Clemens

Jesus, Bit.  Lest we forget that Peyton Manning was not just drafted in the same round as Jamarcus Russell, but also with the exam same selection!?

Jesus, Bit.  Lest we forget that Peyton Manning was not just drafted in the same round as Jamarcus Russell, but also with the exam same selection!?

Yeah I had no idea where he was going with that one.  To me, Geno has a chance to change the perception about him; will he do it is up for debate.  It is a real shame he didn't get the chance to sit his first year and learn watching from the sidelines like everybody wants Petty to do, but that ship has already sailed.  I think the Jets will be smart with Petty and tbh, I don't see him being ready for at least 2 years.  He is further behind than Geno was when he came out. 

Wow. Pretty dumb post. He is not old, he's 24. He could easily play elite level QB for 10 years or more.

He was terrible at the Senior Bowl, but KNEW he would be. He went to learn, too his lumps and did improve and get some great coaching. The Senior Bowl is a plus not a negative, as it shows his approach

He can certainly take a snap from center and does know play action. His pocket awareness and reading ability will be developed by good coaching. He will almost definitely sit at least a year.

He is a strong prospect that needs some work, but his ceiling is strong starter.

I really don't get the age thing. If he's sitting he's not getting his body destroyed.

Aaron Rodgers didn't start until he was 25, sat for 3 years. He's 32 now and no one says dick about his age because in football terms he's not 31, he's 28.

Why did we draft Dakota Dozier in the third round again? He didn't start as a rookie okay does that mean he is a third round bust like Schlegel the boar hunter or does he get to you know actually play like most third round picks get a chance to?

please dont try to justify geno sucking because he was passed by every team in the 1st round.  

Why did we draft Dakota Dozier in the third round again? He didn't start as a rookie okay does that mean he is a third round bust like Schlegel the boar hunter or does he get to you know actually play like most third round picks get a chance to?

He was a 4th rounder from a small school drafted under a previous regime who had no clue wtf they were doing in the draft. Sucks for him, but he's going to presumably have a chance to compete for the job this year. Don't really know how you can ask for much more than that.

we're Not looking for him to start right away.

he can sit back..watch & learn.

there will be a " learning curve " with him.

hopefully he'll pick things up quickly.

cheers ~ ~ 

:cheer:

Why did we draft Dakota Dozier in the third* round again? He didn't start as a rookie okay does that mean he is a third* round bust like Schlegel the boar hunter or does he get to you know actually play like most third* round picks get a chance to?

*fourth round

We do have a lot of Guards, T.C will be very competitive, at almost every position. Dozier sitting for a year would have helped him coming from a smaller program. I'm very optimistic

We can get a good bunch out of:-

Carpenter

Colon

ODay

Dozier

Winters? Center

Jarvis

A lot better then going into camp with Matt Slawson as your starting Left Guard.

I look at the age as a positive. He'll (hopefully) be mature and take his job seriously, learn the pro game and system this year and will hopefully be ready next off season to compete for the starting spot.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

We do have a lot of Guards, T.C will be very competitive, at almost every position. Dozier sitting for a year would have helped him coming from a smaller program. I'm very optimistic

Carpenter

Colon

ODay

Dozier

Winters? Center

Jarvis

A lot better then going into camp with Matt Slawson as your starting Left Guard.

Matt Slauson was/is a good player. Having Brian Winters as your starter, now that's a different story.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Carpenter

Colon

ODay

Dozier

Winters? Center

Jarvis

Slauson was not too bad compared to some of these guys.

I hope these new guys are better at drafting guards that the old guys were.  

One thing I don't understand that people get on Petty for is his age? Do athletes stop learning at 23 or something?

no.

it's just something for folks to " moan " about    :winking0001:

One thing I don't understand that people get on Petty for is his age? Do athletes stop learning at 23 or something?

while there are certain high profile exceptions like Manning and that cheater Brady, the peak age for QBs is in their mid 20s

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/215283-nfl-aging-curves-by-position-rookie-qbs-third-year-wrs-and-age-30-rbs

a player like Petty is basically already there. And he doesn't know enough to play now.

Assume he sits for a year (or two) He's not going to get that soph year jump until 27.  and from the peak there's a decline. 

Again this isn't accounting for freaks of nature like Vinny Testaverde. There are many exceptions. I'm just talking about the broad average. All the QBs ever drafted (all the positions actually), their best years are in their mid 20s. 

there's alot to learn, with rookies, you want that developmental peak to be as early as possible. and in QBs at least if the peak is high enough (for example Aaron Rodgers) the plateau/decline can be much longer.  It can last 10+ years for a QB. 

In general younger rookies are more valuable. Odell Beckham is 22 after a year in the league. Leonard Williams is 20 as a rookie. That's really good. Williams might actually still be growing physically. 

(side note Devin Smith is 23 which is somewhat worrisome for a player who needs to learn the route tree. Could be why he didn't go in 1). 

if Petty is amazing will it matter that he's a little older than everyone else? No it absolutely won't

the problem is old rookies are rarely amazing or even good. The extreme example is Brandon Weeden. Danny Watkins is another extreme example. 

Part of this is the market. The truly amazing college players come out early (declare for the draft). Both Winston and Mariota were juniors.  Andrew Luck was a junior. Mediocre ones stay longer for a bunch of reasons. 

The seniors that are good at the Senior Bowl, they rise up and go round 1. For example Flacco and Cutler.  Even Dalton did enough to go cusp 1/2 

where does that leave Petty? 

Let me reiterate I hope to be wrong on this. I hope Petty is the next Joe Montana and you all bookmark this thread and remind me of it for the rest of my life. I'd eat that crow happily. 

You don't understand it? Everybody has given up on Geno, but you are not concerned that Petty is supposedly behind where Geno was 2 years ago?  Geno stopped learning, but Petty is a sponge?  

Slauson was not too bad compared to some of these guys.

I hope these new guys are better at drafting guards that the old guys were.  

That list left off Brewer who has as good a shot as most of those guys.

You don't understand it? Everybody has given up on Geno, but you are not concerned that Petty is supposedly behind where Geno was 2 years ago?  Geno stopped learning, but Petty is a sponge?  

That list left off Brewer who has as good a shot as most of those guys.

umm not everybody.  Bowles certainly hasn't and neither have his teammates.  Geno stopped learning; really?  Okay I will let it go and just say I disagree.  

while there are certain high profile exceptions like Manning and that cheater Brady, the peak age for QBs is in their mid 20s

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/215283-nfl-aging-curves-by-position-rookie-qbs-third-year-wrs-and-age-30-rbs

a player like Petty is basically already there. And he doesn't know enough to play now.

Assume he sits for a year (or two) He's not going to get that soph year jump until 27.  and from the peak there's a decline. 

Again this isn't accounting for freaks of nature like Vinny Testaverde. There are many exceptions. I'm just talking about the broad average. All the QBs ever drafted (all the positions actually), their best years are in their mid 20s. 

In addition to Vinny Testaverde, Roger Staubach had a five year military commitment before he come to the NFL.

Roger Staubach had a five year military commitment before he could come to the NFL.  Vinny Testaverde turned 24 early in his first season. Philip Rivers turned 23 during his first season.

these are exceptions to the rule this is true but also Bryce Petty is not as physically gifted as either of those players

Archived