Gil Brandt : Bryce Petty & Jarvis Harrison ~ ~ ~

kelly

these are exceptions to the rule this is true but also Bryce Petty is not as physically gifted as either of those players

Geno and Petty both seem plenty physically gifted and both seem to throw a very nice ball, if not the most accurate.  I prefer trying to mold these types than hoping that the Greg McElroy's of the world grow 4" and have a 33% increase in arm strength.

In addition to Vinny Testaverde, Roger Staubach had a five year military commitment before he come to the NFL.

Even if he "gets it" at age 27-28, he should have at least 5 productive seasons in him and that would be more than enough for me considering he was a 4th round pick. I mean hell ,there were people on this board who wanted us to trade the farm for a 33 year old Phillip Rivers or a 35 year old Drew Brees.  

Even if he "gets it" at age 27-28, he should have at least 5 productive seasons in him and that would be more than enough for me considering he was a 4th round pick. I mean hell ,there were people on this board who wanted us to trade the farm for a 33 year old Phillip Rivers or a 35 year old Drew Brees.  

I don't blame them. They aren't long-term options, but in the short-run, having either of those guys - coupled with our defense - makes the Jets instant contenders.

I don't blame them. They aren't long-term options, but in the short-run, having either of those guys - coupled with our defense - makes the Jets instant contenders.

True but I would rather build from within; those short term solutions rarely work out.. and then you back to square one. 

If he "gets it" at 27-28 you will be paying him $25M per or having him walk before you get two decent years out of him.

If he "gets it" at 27-28 you will be paying him $25M per or having him walk before you get two decent years out of him.

Well if that is the going rate for an in his prime "franchise" quarterback so be it. At least he is home grown.  I would prefer that then play 25 million for a 35 year old with one foot in the grave. 

Well if that is the going rate for an in his prime "franchise" quarterback so be it. At least he is home grown.  I would prefer that then play 25 million for a 35 year old with one foot in the grave. 

Will he be a prime "franchise" QB or some sh*thead that had a decent year?  (cough, cough, Derek Anderson)

Harrison absolutely will be given a shot at one of the starting guard spots

all these other guys (Oday, Dozier, Winters) they have no ties to 

as for Petty, these are the reasons I don't like this pick 

• he's old. Like 3 years older than Leonard Williams. 5 years passed between his Senior year of HS and his junior year at Baylor
  • he's injury prone. Broke his back last year and was concussed against Texas Tech. Another concussion in HS. 
  • he was just terrible at the Senior Bowl 
  • he is lacking in pocket awareness
  • he can't read a defense 
  • he can't take a snap from center (or do any of the play fakes associated with that skill such as play action) . 

Hopefully I am wrong and Bryce Petty is the next Joe Montana. the best thing he's got going for him now is that he isn't Geno Smith.

He's old? 24 is old?

And the last two bulletpoints are ridiculous. You have no clue that he can't go under center or can't read a defense.

these are exceptions to the rule this is true but also Bryce Petty is not as physically gifted as either of those players

Funny you mention he isn't physically gifted. Before the start of this past season Bruce Feldman at Fox Sports placed Petty #6 on his list of the Top 20 Freaks of College Football. Ahead of Shane Ray, DeVante Parker and Todd Gurley who were all first round draft picks. Petty gets dismissed because of the offense he ran in college. I think he will excel under Gailey and will eventually be the starter for the Jets sooner than most expect.

Admittedly, all I've seen is a couple of interviews and some college higlights but this strikes me as bit of a hatchet job on Petty.  I don't know if the guy is going to make it, but this is a bit over the top, IMHO.  I will respond in red.

Harrison absolutely will be given a shot at one of the starting guard spots

all these other guys (Oday, Dozier, Winters) they have no ties to 

• he's old. Like 3 years older than Leonard Williams. 5 years passed between his Senior year of HS and his junior year at Baylor  Who the hell cares?  Are you worried about if he is going to retire in ten years instead of 15?  I'd happily take five years from the guy if he turns out to be good.  It's not like he's Weedon getting drafted at 28 or something.  We didn't take him number 1 or even in the first couple of rounds, where you might consider something like this.
  • he's injury prone. Broke his back last year and was concussed against Texas Tech. Another concussion in HS.  Played pretty much all his games last two years, didn't he?  (I'm not a college fan so I could be wrong.   It kinda looks like you are just looking for things to bug you.
  • he was just terrible at the Senior Bowl Legitimate, but he knew that going in.  He's gotta learn to play in a pro-style offense.  If he knew that already he would have been taken in the high first with his arm and physical skills.  That is one of the main reasons you get him in the fourth.
  • he is lacking in pocket awareness  Respectfully, we don't know this yet.  Yes, he has to learn to play in a pro-style offense.  This is why it is good that he doesn't play right away.
  • he can't read a defense See above response.
  • he can't take a snap from center (or do any of the play fakes associated with that skill such as play action) . See above response.  it seems like you have taken one point (that he didn't play in a pro-style offense in college) and made it into four separate bullet points.  I don't know if he is going to work out, but with his physical attributes and desire to get better he seems like a pretty good value in the fourth round.

Hopefully I am wrong and Bryce Petty is the next Joe Montana. the best thing he's got going for him now is that he isn't Geno Smith.

He's old? 24 is old?

And the last two bulletpoints are ridiculous. You have no clue that he can't go under center or can't read a defense.

24 is Not old..not even in " NFL Yrs "...by the time he's 26 - 27, we'll know if he's gonna " work out " for us   :winking0001:   

Matt Slauson was/is a good player. Having Brian Winters as your starter, now that's a different story.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Slauson might be the Jets' best late-round pick in the last ten years.  Sixth rounder who was a part of some very good O-lines and did a great job for the Bears after leaving.  I wish we'd had somebody as good was Slauson at LG the last couple season.  Winters....man has he struggled.

One thing I don't understand that people get on Petty for is his age? Do athletes stop learning at 23 or something?

Simple. Whatever a prospect has become by age 22-23 in college is who he's going to be for the rest of his career. If one hasn't mastered the QB position by the draft (or within 1 season of being drafted), regardless of who he played with/under/against in college, then he never will.

24 is the new 27

27 is the new 32

32 is the new 45

40 is when one is ready for assisted living

50 = you're on borrowed time and should have died years ago

He just got drafted. Maybe let him hold a clipboard for a year and see what he becomes. Maybe he'll be Kellen Clemens, maybe he'll be better, and maybe he'll be worse.  But a person being a guaranteed bust or a wasted pick purely due to being 24 years old, or not being drafted within round 1, is moronic.

the age thing is more about how he wasn't good enough to play early and declare early ok he didn't start over rg3 but he also didn't start over the last dude whoever that was. 

If a guy gets to the league and he's 23-24 it's because no one wanted him when he was 20-21. 

In the end I don't need to defend my opinion on Bryce Petty. His play will speak for itself. 

the age thing is more about how he wasn't good enough to play early and declare early ok he didn't start over rg3 but he also didn't start over the last dude whoever that was. 

If a guy gets to the league and he's 23-24 it's because no one wanted him when he was 20-21. 

In the end I don't need to defend my opinion on Bryce Petty. His play will speak for itself. 

The "dude" between RG3 and Petty, was Nick Florence who threw for more yards and rushed for more TD's than RG3. Briles tends to play the QB that has been in the system the longest. This year he has redshirt Junior, Seth Russell, as the starting QB. He was a 3-Star prospect in high school that few wanted. He is playing over a 5-Star prospect that everyone wanted, Jarrett Stidham. Florence had offers from NFL teams, especially after going 59 out of 60 with 1 dropped pass at the Baylor Pro day that year, but he chose to not even enter the draft. He elected to stay at Baylor and finish his MBA. Petty could have declared and been drafted before this past season but he was trying to win a national title and wanted to play in the new Baylor Stadium. Really looking forward to see what he can do with the Jets.

Considering the fact that he was a 4th round pick my expectations for him are very modest; a serviceable back up at worst and a bona-fide starter best case scenario.  In either case we are probably looking at 2 years from now.  If he develops in an NFL starting caliber quarterback I don't think anybody is going to care if he is 26 or 27 years old when it happens. 

The "dude" between RG3 and Petty, was Nick Florence who threw for more yards and rushed for more TD's than RG3. Briles tends to play the QB that has been in the system the longest. This year he has redshirt Junior, Seth Russell, as the starting QB. He was a 3-Star prospect in high school that few wanted. He is playing over a 5-Star prospect that everyone wanted, Jarrett Stidham. Florence had offers from NFL teams, especially after going 59 out of 60 with 1 dropped pass at the Baylor Pro day that year, but he chose to not even enter the draft. He elected to stay at Baylor and finish his MBA. Petty could have declared and been drafted before this past season but he was trying to win a national title and wanted to play in the new Baylor Stadium. Really looking forward to see what he can do with the Jets.

Ahh, a Baylor fan cool.

I have a lot of hope for Petty.  Very talented kid.   Of course he has to learn to be an NFL QB from the ground up.  He has the physical tools to do it.  We'll see if he has the work ethic, and the football smarts to do it.    

Sure hope so.   Welcome to the board

• he's old. Like 3 years older than Leonard Williams. 5 years passed between his Senior year of HS and his junior year at Baylor
  • he's injury prone. Broke his back last year and was concussed against Texas Tech. Another concussion in HS. 
  • he can't take a snap from center (or do any of the play fakes associated with that skill such as play action) . 

Well I love it. So in response to your don't likes:

• since when is 23 old. I guess if you're like 6 its old.
  • everyone gets injured - everyone - sounds like he's a tough dude
  • yea playing with guys he never played with, or coaches who barely know him in a meaningless game, is quite telling  
  • that will come with coaching and playing
  • well at least he can read - Geno Smith cant even read a clock -  so he's ahead on the learning curve
  • he played out of a shotgun offense - he didn't have the opportunity - not a big deal really 

Archived