Brady and the Patriots go to war with the NFL - will it backfire?

My guess is that the preferred status Brady and the Patriots have enjoyed years past with the League Office is OVER.

And I do not believe they will be repositioned as equal to the other teams, but held in contempt; no longer given the benefit of the doubt; no longer held as the pinnacle of NFL success standards - to be looked up to and admired as the shining high-end corporate sell justifying expensive PSLs. 

To do what they did - in an AFC Championship Game - right before the Super Bowl....with all the distraction introduced to a precisely choreographed world sports spectacle....this will be remembered.

Going to war with the League Office will have ramifications for years ahead...this is going to backfire on them in ways we do not even know yet.

Who exactly do they imagine is conducting this vendetta against their franchise and why?

The last thing that Roger Goodell or the NFL wanted to have happen was for yet another New England Patriots fart to be dropped in a highly public place right before the biggest event of the year.  And now the serial cheaters are trying to double down on their lying by impugning the integrity of anyone and everyone else as if they occupied some kind of higher moral ground from which to be doing so.

Is the testimony of a convicted felon to be given the same weight and a non-felon in a court of law? 

In the long run, I think the Pats* will end up being just fine.  Once Goodell realizes that he has far less support among the other 31 owners that he thinks, he'll find some way to make it up to the Pats* and win back the affection of Kraft*.  

If the other owners were smart, they'd use this opportunity, while Kraft* is upset with his good buddy, to try to force Goodell out, and then bring in a commissioner who knows how to run things.  It's quite embarrassing to see just how low the owners have let Goodell sink this once great league.  Even Mark Cuban couldn't have imagined that his comments a few years ago would come to fruition quite this quickly.

In the long run, I think the Pats* will end up being just fine.  Once Goodell realizes that he has far less support among the other 31 owners that he thinks, he'll find some way to make it up to the Pats* and win back the affection of Kraft*.  

If the other owners were smart, they'd use this opportunity, while Kraft* is upset with his good buddy, to try to force Goodell out, and then bring in a commissioner who knows how to run things.  It's quite embarrassing to see just how low the owners have let Goodell sink this once great league.  Even Mark Cuban couldn't have imagined that his comments a few years ago would come to fruition quite this quickly.

Except for of course that I am hearing the 31 other owners all believe that NE DOES get a different set of rules applied to them and are all FOR this punishment.

Except for of course that I am hearing the 31 other owners all believe that NE DOES get a different set of rules applied to them and are all FOR this punishment.

I'm sure they're for it, but at the same time I'm also sure that Goodell just allowed Troy Vincent to come down on the Pats* like this because he's trying to gain favor with the other owners.  Once things settle down and Goodell starts favoring his usual franchises over the others again, everything will be back to where it was before.

If the owners were smart, they'd take this opportunity where Kraft* isn't going to support his buddy and force Goodell's removal.  They've been gift-wrapped this opportunity and they should take advantage of it.  I just hope they don't wait until it's too late to remove him from office, because if they wait too long, Goodell will continue his destruction of the league. 

I'm sure they're for it, but at the same time I'm also sure that Goodell just allowed Troy Vincent to come down on the Pats* like this because he's trying to gain favor with the other owners.  Once things settle down and Goodell starts favoring his usual franchises over the others again, everything will be back to where it was before.

If the owners were smart, they'd take this opportunity where Kraft* isn't going to support his buddy and force Goodell's removal.  They've been gift-wrapped this opportunity and they should take advantage of it.  I just hope they don't wait until it's too late to remove him from office, because if they wait too long, Goodell will continue his destruction of the league. 

Wrong timing, because if they did it now they would likely wind up with even a bigger Patriots sycophant than when he have now. Goodell should be fired but now is not the time. Best thing Goodell can do is hear the appeal himself and uphold it. Seriously unlikely the Pats would sue as the possibility of finding an even worse accounting of events in a trial with subpoena power is HUGE. F the ****Cheatriots**** everyone knows what they are. Lying, cheating arrogant scumbags

I agree Vinny.  I think all the talk about the rift between Goodell and Kraft is for show.  The two probably had some backroom discussions before the news broke.  

I don't think that there's anything such as a wrong time to fire Goodell.  He's going to wind up ruining the NFL, so the sooner it gets done, regardless of the circumstances, the better the NFL will be.  

They also don't have to bring in another sycophant for the Patriots just because Goodell is gone.  The 31 other owners should stand up, remove Goodell, and then speak with as close to one voice as they possibly can in terms of bringing in a commissioner who will do things fairly.  With Goodell gone, all Kraft* will have in the process is his singular vote and the ability to speak up, which I would imagine most other owners would just ignore at this point as the words of a whiny cheater who is just having a temper tantrum.  

The backfire isn't with the NFL.  The backfire is with the fans.

The New England Patriots have just pulled an A-Rod, thinking the American public is going to fall for it and be duped by it, today is their Mike Francesa "trust me Mike" moment.  I don't like the Patriots, but I used to respect them for their accomplishments.  This is the straw that breaks that camel's back.

They no longer have to worry about an asterisk; they now have to worry about being the joke of the NFL.  Because they are.

SAR I

I agree Vinny.  I think all the talk about the rift between Goodell and Kraft is for show.  The two probably had some backroom discussions before the news broke.  

Of course they did.  I bet the million dollar fine was negotiated, since it really amounts to Kraft* saving somewhere between 600-800K, depending on what numbers you see posted around in various places regarding how much they're saving on Brady's contract for those four games.  

So, in actuality, the Patriots* aren't being fined at all.  The 1.6-1.8 million they're saving on not having to pay Brady* winds up covering the entire fine with over half a million left over.  

The backfire isn't with the NFL.  The backfire is with the fans.

The New England Patriots have just pulled an A-Rod, thinking the American public is going to fall for it and be duped by it, today is their Mike Francesa "trust me Mike" moment.  I don't like the Patriots, but I used to respect them for their accomplishments.  This is the straw that breaks that camel's back.

They no longer have to worry about an asterisk; they now have to worry about being the joke of the NFL.  Because they are.

SAR I

you'd think after spygate they'd realize they have no credibility anymore.  they've convinced themselves that their success on the field translates to respect off it.  that's where the disconnect is.  and i believe they'll fight it to the end, b/c now we're seeing they care way more about their perception as tainted champions than they've ever let on.

Who exactly do they imagine is conducting this vendetta against their franchise and why?

The only thing I can surmise is that the Patriots know exactly how dirty the Patriots are, and they've become sort of paranoid as an organization about it, which influences their logic making it extremely hyper-defensive... and in some odd psychobabble sort of way reveals just how ready they've been to defend themselves for a much great cheating offenses than what this actually is.

Sort of like in an old-school video game when you spend so much time building up your attack power, then waste it by killing off the weakest of the bad characters.

Me thinks the league may know it too, tbh.

Of course they did.  I bet the million dollar fine was negotiated, since it really amounts to Kraft* saving somewhere between 600-800K, depending on what numbers you see posted around in various places regarding how much they're saving on Brady's contract for those four games.  

So, in actuality, the Patriots* aren't being fined at all.  The 1.6-1.8 million they're saving on not having to pay Brady* winds up covering the entire fine with over half a million left over.  

Also,  if this hearing or trial is  held in the MA.  jurisdiction,  we can  pretty much be assured that the charges and fines will be overturned.   If this happens,  get   ready.  I have a feeling that  NFL fans are not  going to take this very lightly.  Too many are fed up with the favoritism that has been  shown to NE 

We aren't talking Woody Johnson here.

Get the popcorn ready.

We aren't talking Al Davis here.

What is the best that can happen for Kraft-His star player gets maybe 2 games cut off his suspension? Maybe he even gets the full allotment cut off? 

And fans throughout the league think he looks foolish, petty and defensive of a cheating franchise.

There is no win for him in this. Only digging himself deeper. He has already lost the court of public opinion. The fans mock the franchise now

While the appeals process is within the rules and going through that is not what I am talking about, I wonder about some of the character assassination tactics being used by the Patriots side here.  I wonder if some of that might not rise to the level where is it a direct assault in the integrity of the league.  At the very least the crime family whose business is headquartered up in Foxborough is providing a dirty tricks playbook for anyone else in the future who wants to spend some money to engage in some of that.

Kraft may need to go.  The fact that we are where we are today tells me that the rest of the owners were OK with sanctioning the Patriots this way.

At some point one would imagine that the other 31 owners are just going to want to pop the infected pimple that is the New England Patriots.  How long will that be I wonder?   An intervention is required here. 

Kraft may need to go.  

He definitely does.  Goodell needs to start reading up on the bylaws that call for the forfeiture of a franchise or the banishment of an owner.  If Kraft* wants to sue the league because his cheating ass got caught, then Goodell should call his bluff and threaten to banish him for life for conduct detrimental to the league.

I hope this goes to Civil Court and under oath, Goodell must say what was on the video tapes he destroyed.

Then get Brady on the stand and ask about his knowledge of the deflating and about the text messages

Then get Bellicheat on the stand.... etc.

I am loving this.

The Pats are a CIRCUS!!!

Goodell screwed with the wrong owner.

There are so many mistakes in the Wells novel.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here...I admire your loyalty...if nothing else I know what that means being a Jet's fan.

But I'd like to ask if there is anything in the Well's report you believe is accurate and/or if you believe Brady and the ball boys were completely innocent and did nothing wrong. What part do you believe is accurate? 

For my part (and to be fair) I can see they drew conclusions pieced together from disparate parts...but on the whole got it right enough.

Goodell screwed with the wrong owner.

There are so many mistakes in the Wells novel.

Not sure if they screwed but Im pretty sure I have seen pictures of them making out.  Goodell is a goon.  but I find it funny that you talk about Kraft like a white knight and at best he used their friendship to get him to look the other way while he cheats.  Damn!  Guy already burned the Sprygate tapes for him. Must be tough to have a scumbag friend like Kraft.  

I hope this goes to Civil Court and under oath, Goodell must say what was on the video tapes he destroyed.

Then get Brady on the stand and ask about his knowledge of the deflating and about the text messages

Then get Bellicheat on the stand.... etc.

I am loving this.

The Pats are a CIRCUS!!!

This would be the ideal conclusion to this mess, there isn't enough pop corn in the world for this sh*t show. 

Cant wait!

Time for the high priced mouthpiece to come in and spew fog.  Time for the lawsuits.  It is like a political campaign.  Sports is simple.  You make the league look like a mound of dung? Well, something bad---sports-wise---is going to happen to you. Brady had a goof gig, but he did not think it was good enough.  So hle reached. He upset their apple cart and they did not like it.  The public screamed. It is not legal matter. It does not require a lawyer.  It is about sports cheating and public relations, not individual rights.  It is a private matter for the league. If Kraft tries to drag it into a courthouse, he will earn the enmity of every greedy owner in the league.  If the NFL does not get their back up over this then they are ready for the cesspool.  Six games for Brady!

We aren't talking Al Davis here.

What is the best that can happen for Kraft-His star player gets maybe 2 games cut off his suspension? Maybe he even gets the full allotment cut off

And fans throughout the league think he looks foolish, petty and defensive of a cheating franchise.

There is no win for him in this. Only digging himself deeper. He has already lost the court of public opinion. The fans mock the franchise now

If this happens, he declares victory and their fan base and the media will jump on board that bandwagon.

After today's ridiculousness, which has gone to an entirely new level of absurdity - the media (specifically ESPN) will still support the Pats and treat their claims with legitimacy.  Just watch tomorrow morning - People will review that Wells report rebuttal and discuss how it's correct...

While most Jet fans know better - the rest of world will ultimately buy what the media says.  The Pats are winning this war and are likely to end up winning.

Unless the media turns on them - which seems highly unlikely - they will win.

It's disgraceful but that's that's the reality.

The backfire isn't with the NFL. The backfire is with the fans.

The New England Patriots have just pulled an A-Rod, thinking the American public is going to fall for it and be duped by it, today is their Mike Francesa "trust me Mike" moment. I don't like the Patriots, but I used to respect them for their accomplishments. This is the straw that breaks that camel's back.

They no longer have to worry about an asterisk; they now have to worry about being the joke of the NFL. Because they are.

SAR I

Welcome my friend we have bee waiting for you!!!☺️

We aren't talking Woody Johnson here.

Get the popcorn ready.

Yes the Pats are just to good AND moral for the rest of the NFL.

You guys should start your own league. Then you don't have to worry about the other teams jealousy and envy holding you guys back.

Kraft is a moron and is only doing this to protect you his foolish and gullible fan base!!!!

He definitely does. Goodell needs to start reading up on the bylaws that call for the forfeiture of a franchise or the banishment of an owner. If Kraft* wants to sue the league because his cheating ass got caught, then Goodell should call his bluff and threaten to banish him for life for conduct detrimental to the league.

Bingo. Kraft can't be this stupid. But alas he is!!!!

The sad part about it is the Pats by their statements and cheating are literally helping to destroy the league.

Utter madness

He definitely does. Goodell needs to start reading up on the bylaws that call for the forfeiture of a franchise or the banishment of an owner. If Kraft* wants to sue the league because his cheating ass got caught, then Goodell should call his bluff and threaten to banish him for life for conduct detrimental to the league.

Bingo. Kraft can't be this stupid. But alas he is!!!!

The sad part about it is the Pats by their statements and cheating are literally helping to destroy the league.

Utter madness

Archived