Jets players: Todd Bowles couldn't be more different than Rex Ryan

JetBlue

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Said it a few months ago that Bowles continues the Jets trend that started when they went from Groh to Herm.

Groh- Parcelss disciple....football guy who was all business

Herm- Everyone was glad to have a motivational speaker instead of the bland Groh.  Players were going to run through walls for him.

Mangini- Belichick Disciple...Enough of the windbag Herm, all he does is talk.  We need a guy who's all business.

Rex- Everyone was glad to have a motivational speaker instead of the bland Mangini.  Players were going to run through walls for him.

Bowles- Parcells/Groh disciple...Enough of the windbag Rex, all he does is talk.  We need a guy who's all business.

Stonehands is simply saying the cycle will continue.

Both of these personality types can win.  I just hope he has some success, and soon.

Both of these personality types can win.  I just hope he has some success, and soon.

Absolutely true...but a lot of people seem to be under the impression that getting a guy who is the opposite of the last guy means it will yield results.  I like Bowles and I have every reason to expect he'll succeed...but I felt that way about Parcells, Groh, Herm, Mangini and Rex...I was wrong...they all failed.  Let's hope they finally got it right.

I remember the players asking Rex to tone down his attacks on the opposing team players before the games because they had to be the ones that backed up Rex's words on the playing field....I don't think Rex fully got that message and the players started to get tired of that.

He probably did get the message but simply didn't care. 

As we know, especially through this latest incident with Jace Amaro, Rex Ryan is an extremely arrogant individual.  He prides himself on creating an environment where the players and everyone else can speak their minds, yet when something is said that he doesn't like, such as what Amaro said, he cries like a little two year old and throws a temper tantrum about it. 

So, I think he absolutely got the message that the players were sending him, but he probably didn't care.  If it's not something that's about benefiting Rex, than Rex doesn't care about it.

This is true.  I just don't how you go through life with such negative expectations...  I mean why even bother getting out of bed in the morning, lol. 

Maybe it is like having colitis.  in this case, mental and emotional colitis.

Said it a few months ago that Bowles continues the Jets trend that started when they went from Groh to Herm.

Groh- Parcelss disciple....football guy who was all business

Herm- Everyone was glad to have a motivational speaker instead of the bland Groh. Players were going to run through walls for him.

Mangini- Belichick Disciple...Enough of the windbag Herm, all he does is talk. We need a guy who's all business.

Rex- Everyone was glad to have a motivational speaker instead of the bland Mangini. Players were going to run through walls for him.

Bowles- Parcells/Groh disciple...Enough of the windbag Rex, all he does is talk. We need a guy who's all business.

Stonehands is simply saying the cycle will continue.

Fans quickly forget

This is a thread about comparing Rex to Bowles.  

And who's bitching? 

What the **** is wrong with this board?  You cant even have a conversation anymore around here without this sh*t.  My god. Dare anyone say anything thats not peaches and cream about the Jets and your a whiny, bitching, SOJ fan.  And that didnt even happen. lol

No.  I dont.  How many Parcell's guys have failed?  How many BB guys have failed?  Happens all the time.  I could give 2 sh*ts who his influences are. 

No Jif, you started COMPLAINING about a statement how Parcells may have influenced his approach in some areas, in particular dealing with the media.   How you don't care about mentors blah, blah, blah.  My thought was, so why are you responding to it? Nothing wrong with looking at all sides of a situation but there is an overwhelming slant to the negative.  Hey I understand that the team has not given us a lot to be excited about over the last million years a so.  I also realize we have had God knows how many new coaches etc.

However I think it is sad that folks can't see that this Bowles and Mac regime is unlike any we have had before it.  It is a totally rebuilt front office, totally rebuilt scouting department and totally rebuilt coaching staff.  When was the last time that happened?  Weeb Eubank  or something?  So I get a little tired of having to constantly read about "yeah but the we got but we excited when Joe Blow got the job...." or "fast forward 5 years".   I mean seriously?  Can we not take it one day at a time, enjoy the process and get over the need to downplay or look for whats wrong with everything? 

Nowhere in article do I see anyone waving pom poms or in this thread; is it possible to let some folks enjoy the moment before the need to "put on the brakes" or "calm down".    

Listen I apologize that I including all this in my response to your post because this is obviously not directed at solely at you.    I also realize that everyone is different and have different points of view.   I don't expect everyone to agree with me and love a good debate and have no problem admitting when I am wrong about something.  

I am excited about this possibilities of this new regime over the next few years; I know that everything won't be "peaches and cream" but nothing in life is. Sometimes perhaps I overreact to what I feel is constant and almost automatic criticism or negativity by some; going forward I will just choose to ignore it and keep it moving.   Right now I have genuine hope for this Franchise, something I really couldn't say the last few years, and as was stated in the Shawshank Redemption, "Hope is Good Thing, Maybe the Best of Things."   At the end of the day we all want the same thing.  At least I hope we do. 

I am excited about having Bowles coaching this team. But I will be more excited when that translates into WINS.

True but since the don't play games in May this is the best we got. 

Fast forward 5 or 6 years and we will be reading about how the next guy is a much more thorough communicator and nothing is left unsaid. As a Jet fan, I read this same article every four or five years.

May be, may be not. Simply that's the nature of things. At some point unless you have greta success players will tune out coaches, and coaches will fall into habits like any other job. 

Still cautiously optimistic. 

Absolutely true...but a lot of people seem to be under the impression that getting a guy who is the opposite of the last guy means it will yield results. I like Bowles and I have every reason to expect he'll succeed...but I felt that way about Parcells, Groh, Herm, Mangini and Rex...I was wrong...they all failed. Let's hope they finally got it right.

Carrol, as soft a players HC as they come, won two years ago. Should have won last season too. Except that Belichick, as stern as they come, won instead. Kind of proves the point that all the whining about coach Xs style can't win in this age is just wrong. It's the coach, not the style

Carrol, as soft a players HC as they come, won two years ago. Should have won last season too. Except that Belichick, as stern as they come, won instead. Kind of proves the point that all the whining about coach Xs style can't win in this age is just wrong. It's the coach, not the style

Exactly...it starts with the players...no coach is going to win w/o talent.  If the talent is in place, the coach has to put the team in position to succeed.

Like the old saying goes, "It's more about Jimmy's and Joe's than X's and O's"

Exactly...it starts with the players...no coach is going to win w/o talent.  If the talent is in place, the coach has to put the team in position to succeed.

Like the old saying goes, "It's more about Jimmy's and Joe's than X's and O's"

There is also an old saying that was attributed to Bum Phillips and he said "He can take his'n and beat your your'n, and then take your'n and beat his'n.

Coaching is a huge difference maker in how a team performs.

I agree Scott.  I also believe that coaches are more effective when they have support from the front office.  I think everyone affiliated with the team has to pull together towards one goal.  Unofrtuantely,  it seems that this is seldom the case.

With all due respect Joe W., If that is all you got from the article, you might want to read it again.  It is not about being tough, but the attention to detail; focusing on whats important and whats not (hint: being a media darling), holding players accountable, coaching the entire team (not just the defense) and more.   We don't know how that will translate into wins and losses because it is only May but it is a good a reason to be optimistic NOW instead of worrying about what we will doing 5 years from now if we have new coach. 

This. It wasn't about "being tough". I want a coach who pays attention to both sides of the ball first and foremost. His attention to detail is a big plus. I now want to see game management and in-game adjustments.

There is also an old saying that was attributed to Bum Phillips and he said "He can take his'n and beat your your'n, and then take your'n and beat his'n.

And I remember his son wade saying in 1998 "I'm an old fashioned country coach, not gonna try and fool anybody" and the Jets swept them that year and won the division lol

Parcells/groh - tough

Herm - softy

Mangini - tough

Rex- softy

Bowles - tough

Why does reality always get mixed up with negativity?

Ding ding ding. When you're winning no one brings these issues up until you lose.

Same story different day!

I will like him more when he wins.  until then he is just another first year coach and our record with those is nothing to be excited about..

Actually our record with first year coaches of the Jets is pretty damn good.

It's continued success afterward that gets tricky.

Fast forward 5 or 6 years and we will be reading about how the next guy is a much more thorough communicator and nothing is left unsaid. As a Jet fan, I read this same article every four or five years.

Hey, coaching is a right now business and he is what the Jets need right now. I prefer to be positive. The Jets have a lot of reason to be positive right now

Hey, coaching is a right now business and he is what the Jets need right now. I prefer to be positive. The Jets have a lot of reason to be positive right now

I am Bills fan who visits other AFC East  Forums.  Just to let you know,  the phins see your defense as a real contender.  They also have  some realllly positive things to say about the Bills team,  new coach, etc.  The Bills Mafia group is very positive.  And the patriots' forum?  Well,  they are still complainng about the Tom Brady saga.  

I am Bills fan who visits other AFC East  Forums.  Just to let you know,  the phins see your defense as a real contender.  They also have  some realllly positive things to say about the Bills team,  new coach, etc.  The Bills Mafia group is very positive.  And the patriots' forum?  Well,  they are still complainng about the Tom Brady saga.  

Every team in the AFC east can make an legitimate argument about their team being a contender this year. Much will depend on the quarterback play for every team not the Pats.  But Brady/Jimmy G. will have their challenges matching up with the new and improved AFC East defenses.  

Every team in the AFC east can make an legitimate argument about their team being a contender this year. Much will depend on the quarterback play for every team not the Pats.  But Brady/Jimmy G. will have their challenges matching up with the new and improved AFC East defenses.  

JetBlue have a question for you.  Do you see any seasoned QB's becoming available this pre-season?  I know Buffalo picked up Kyle Orton late.  Just wondering if you think there are any good QB's that are not going to re-sign with their current team?  

Archived