SEAHAWKS WON'T GIVE RUSSELL WILSON $20 MILLION A YEAR -

jeaniec

Looks like the Seahawks don't want to give Russell Wilson $20 Million a year.  How many NFL Teams will be knocking on Wilson's door?

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/seattle-seahawks-russell-wilson-contract-negotiations-051515?adbid=10153884073029552&adbpl=fb&adbpr=112638779551&adbsc=social_20150515_45905086&short_code=30586

The Seattle Seahawks and quarterback Russell Wilson are in the middle of contract negotiations and what was expected to be a smooth process has gotten decidedly rocky. Wilson has one year left on his rookie contract and is in line for an extension.

The problem is, the two sides are far apart in negotiations.

On Friday, Bleacher Report’s Jason Cole reported that Wilson is looking for $20 million annually on a five-year extension. Cole claims the Seahawks “have no desire to get anywhere close to that.” The report goes on to state that Seattle is willing to let Wilson play out the final year of his deal without getting an extension done.

If that happens, the Seahawks could wind up franchise-tagging Wilson in back-to-back years through 2017. That move would earn Wilson somewhere around $45 million over that time. That’s not a bad chunk of change, but the 26-year-old would undoubtedly prefer the security of a long-term deal.

These whispers have been out there for weeks and Cole has now confirmed what many have suspected. The Seahawks love Wilson, but given the balance of their roster they don’t want to commit too much money to one position. That said, Wilson nearly led the team to back-to-back Super Bowl titles, as Seattle was a few yards away from beating the New England Patriots this year before an untimely interception.

In his three NFL seasons, Wilson has started 48 games, and has completed 63.4 percent of his passes for 9,950 yards, with 72 touchdowns and 26 interceptions. His career quarterback rating of 98.6 is excellent. The diminutive signal-caller has established himself as an excellent starting quarterback, but it's doubtful that he can lay claim to being a top five guy. That makes it hard to justify giving him top quarterback money.

These talks haven’t gotten truly ugly yet, but they are certainly trending in that direction.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Report: Seahawks won't give Russell Wilson $20 million a year

The Seattle Seahawks and quarterback Russell Wilson are in the middle of contract negotiations and what was expected to be a smooth process has gotten decidedly rocky. Wilson has one year left on his rookie contract and is in line for an extension.

On Friday, Bleacher Report’s Jason Cole reported that Wilson is looking for $20 million annually on a five-year extension. Cole claims the Seahawks “have no desire to get anywhere close to that.” The report goes on to state that Seattle is willing to let Wilson play out the final year of his deal without getting an extension done.

If that happens, the Seahawks could wind up franchise-tagging Wilson in back-to-back years through 2017. That move would earn Wilson somewhere around $45 million over that time. That’s not a bad chunk of change, but the 26-year-old would undoubtedly prefer the security of a long-term deal.

These whispers have been out there for weeks and Cole has now confirmed what many have suspected. The Seahawks love Wilson, but given the balance of their roster they don’t want to commit too much money to one position. That said, Wilson nearly led the team to back-to-back Super Bowl titles, as Seattle was a few yards away from beating the New England Patriots this year before an untimely interception.

In his three NFL seasons, Wilson has started 48 games, and has completed 63.4 percent of his passes for 9,950 yards, with 72 touchdowns and 26 interceptions. His career quarterback rating of 98.6 is excellent. The diminutive signal-caller has established himself as an excellent starting quarterback, but it's doubtful that he can lay claim to being a top five guy. That makes it hard to justify giving him top quarterback money.

These talks haven’t gotten truly ugly yet, but they are certainly trending in that direction.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/seattle-seahawks-russell-wilson-contract-negotiations-051515?adbid=10153884073029552&adbpl=fb&adbpr=112638779551&adbsc=social_20150515_45905086&short_code=30586

Looks like the Seahawks don't want to give Russell Wilson $20 Million a year.  How many NFL Teams will be knocking on Wilson's door?

What a crock of $**t. If he had been drafted in the first round they would be signing him to this extension at what he wants. Just because they got him cheap doesn't mean he has to continue to be paid like a late round draft pick. All the balance in the world means nothing in today's NFL if you don't have a franchise QB, and they have one they are willing to let walk.

The guy should play out his contract, take a few million from each franchise tag and take out a fat insurance policy for himself, and then flip them the finger at the end of 2017 and go wherever he wants to go. If I had to go into this season without an extension after what was accomplished the last few seasons there is no way I'd ever resign with that team.

Wilson is a product of their offense/team, they'd be stupid to pay him Brady/Peyton/A-Rod type money. Luck might deserve it. Russell Wilson doesn't, Flacco doesn't, Kaepernick doesn't. The Seahawks are still playoff and maybe even superbowl material with any other clown throwing the ball for them. Wilson's career is going to end the minute he leaves Seattle.

Wilson is a product of their offense/team, they'd be stupid to pay him Brady/Peyton/A-Rod type money. Luck might deserve it. Russell Wilson doesn't, Flacco doesn't, Kaepernick doesn't. The Seahawks are still playoff and maybe even superbowl material with any other clown throwing the ball for them. Wilson's career is going to end the minute he leaves Seattle.

You don't get a snatch hair away from back to back superbowl victories with a system guy or "any other clown." no matter how good your defense is. Not in today's NFL.

If Wilson did become a free agent, would you be OK with the Jets paying 20 per for him?

If Wilson did become a free agent, would you be OK with the Jets paying 20 per for him?

In a freakin heart beat .... Wilson makes very few mistakes he is a leader and well respected .... When was the last time you could say that about a Jets QB ? Would you trade Wilkerson for Wilson ? Whats Wilk going to get in a new contract ?

Wilson turns the Jets into a top 5 football team not just a top 5 defense. Also since we are built to win now only lacking a QB why would you not make this move ?

If Wilson threw a ridiculous amount of 5yard or less TD's like Brady and Manning he would be well into the 30's approaching or surpassing 40 TD's still throwing single digit INT's. Wilson does not have to do that because he plays for a team thats built correctly and can run it hard in the red zone. All the more reason that play call the Hawks made in the SB could very well be the worst call in the history of sports. 

The hate is obviously strong with you. 

Ridiculous comment. 

Can you imagine Russell Wilson QBing our Jets?

I'd send off Mo Wilkerson in a heartbeat!

Hell, Leonard Williams could easily replace Mo. I crack up when I see Jet fans disparage someone like Wilson.

If Russell Wilson somehow landed in NY with the Jets we'd instantly be given a chance to win the AFC East!

In fact, we'd own this division going forward.

Just thinking about Wilson throwing to Decker, Marshall, Smith, Kerley & Amaro puts a smile on my face.

You don't get a snatch hair away from back to back superbowl victories with a system guy or "any other clown." no matter how good your defense is. Not in today's NFL.

Funny, the Ravens did. With hall of famers such as Trent Dilfer and a year later Elvis Grbac throwing the ball. The Seahawks have an even better defense, and a better running game. It doesn't take an elite passer to take that team to the Superbowl and I'm sure the Seahawks are smart enough to realize that. Otherwise they would have paid the guy his 20+ mil. per year.

Hell, Leonard Williams could easily replace Mo. I crack up when I see Jet fans disparage someone like Wilson.

If Russell Wilson somehow landed in NY with the Jets we'd instantly be given a chance to win the AFC East!

Just thinking about Wilson throwing to Decker, Marshall, Smith, Kerley & Amaro puts a smile on my face.

Are you kidding? We ALREADY have a chance to win the division!

Im glad your not our gm lol Russel Wilson is not a great QB or he would have been signed, he is a fantastic leader and probably one of the best QBs at clock management but I find it hard to believe everyone is talking about how few mistakes he made (right after he gifted the patriots a superbowl with....a mistake) and how his is a top 10 qb when he plays for the team that had the least passing attempts in the NFL. Don't get me wrong I love Russel Wilson as a person I just don't think he is an elite QB that everyone else seems to think he is.

In a freakin heart beat .... Wilson makes very few mistakes he is a leader and well respected .... When was the last time you could say that about a Jets QB ? Would you trade Wilkerson for Wilson ? Whats Wilk going to get in a new contract ?

Wilson turns the Jets into a top 5 football team not just a top 5 defense. Also since we are built to win now only lacking a QB why would you not make this move ?

Couldn't you give up 2 first round picks and get him out of the franchise tag?  Or am I thinking of something else?  

Because I would think a number of teams would be willing to do that...I would be happy to with the Jets...

Smart disciplined team. Wilson is not brady or manning or rogers or brees imo. They can sign him, lose some key defensive pieces and weapons and then see if he can carry the team. I don;t think he can.

Hey that's the going rate for QBs like Wilson. If Seattle won't pay it someone will.

When you have the advantage of having a top 10 QB it will cost you cap space. That's what balances out the playing field, teams that have the QBs won't be able to afford a secondary like ours without suffering at another position, etc. Yes, I'd rather have the QB then a stacked secondary, but that's not an option at the moment.

When you hit on a rookie like Wilson and have the luxury to pay him peanuts you can afford to put a team like Seattle did around him by extending Sherman, Lynch, Thomas, Chancellor, etc. But now it's time to pay up, and it may cost you a player or two, but that's the price.....otherwise they can let him go and draft another QB, hope they hit on him, and use the money they saved on other positions.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Wilson does not carry the team and probably could not carry any team. Good, smart player who does not make many mistakes, but he's not at the elite level (which is overused these days). I'd pass on the Jets paying that kind of coin for him.

Top 5 no

he's close dude if only because of his age, he doesn't make mistakes and can make plays..  an ideal game manager type

that said, last year was his worst year in the league, so I can't fault the hawks for taking a wait and see approach..

Stupid organizations, like the Jets, give QB's a huge signing bonus coming off a terrible season cause they had a good 5 game run the season prior

Archived