SEAHAWKS WON'T GIVE RUSSELL WILSON $20 MILLION A YEAR -

jeaniec

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have said this before. I would have looked for another veteran WR FA. There were so many options this time around.

Fair, and now we're getting somewhere.  Would this have been a FA WR acquired in addition to adding Marshall via trade or instead of trading for Marshall? 

I think the risk factors of age and injury apply to Marshall a lot more given that he was nursing injuries most of last season. So i would have added another veteran WR in addition to drafting the one we did.

Makes sense.  Marshall did have a really dreadful year last season.

We probably could have upgraded at Right Tackle or Guard.

Carpenter. 

RT I can understand, though I'm interested to see how Breno does in Chan Gailey's zone blocking scheme.  He was in a zone blocking scheme in Seattle too.  He may well suck here but in Seattle he was a very strong run blocker on the right side.  They didn't address the position in the draft either so maybe the coaching staff likes him? 

If he's a JAG he wasn't paid like one. He's getting nearly $5M per. That's established starter money. And he's also another zone blocking guy along with Breno. I'm sensing a trend.....

Vick got $5 mil last year he was awesome

Has our FO actually watched the Seahawks play? Wilson is running for his life on passing downs.

Vick got $5 mil last year he was awesome

Not the same regime and, like it or not, money is an indicator of his value.  Only 18 guards in the league, whether LG or RG, will be making more money per year than he is.  This regime clearly felt he was an upgrade.  They probably also felt Iupati's (2nd highest paid guard in the league, getting nearly double what Carpenter is) pricetag was too high.  Perhaps a legitimate criticism.  But I'm not an Offensive Line expert.

Has our FO actually watched the Seahawks play? Wilson is running for his life on passing downs.

Yep, they were the worst pass-blocking team in the NFL last year.  That was a major downside when we brought in Breno too, his pass blocking sucked.  Doesn't mean Carpenter will fail here, however.  He has Brick and Mangold on either side of him, and we needed a solid run blocker at that spot (it was what Winters was advertised to be...a road grader.  Yeah, that didn't happen).  Seattle most definitely did not have a Brick or Mangold.  And they came 1 play away from winning the Super Bowl for the 2nd straight year anyways, so.....

Now that we've clearly established it wasn't an overpay because:  1) It didn't cost us someone else, and 2) It isn't going to affect our cap beyond 2015 unless we want it to..... you've now settled on the "He wasn't who I wanted to pick up" phase of the argument.

Which player did you want instead.  That would be helpful to the discussion. 

#2 above is false

You do not pay 7 mill to a guy who MIGHT be still in his prime. You do it for a player you are sure can contribute at a VERY HIGH level.

Now even if it is a ONE year deal it means you overpaid him for ONE year. Period.

He got paid what he was worth. Look at what other corners with less than his resume were paid. As it's been said, it's a 1 year deal. Give it up, we still have cap room and don't need to sign anyone today

Archived