Former Dolphins PK Garo Yepremian RIP

JetCane

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-dolphins-kicker-garo-yepremian-dies-70-034944975--nfl.html

MIAMI (AP) -- Garo Yepremian, the former NFL kicker who helped the Miami Dolphins win consecutive NFL championships but is best remembered for a Super Bowl blooper, died Friday of cancer. He was 70.

Full article at link.

I remember that crazy attempted pass he made in the SB.

I was like WTF?.

That's wacky.  YouTube has a lot of old NFL games and sometimes I'll randomly watch pieces of them.   Yesterday I started watching the game (link below) and was like "oh I've heard of Garo Yepremian". 

Other interesting things to me were:

-Bob Griese's facemask.  Two very skinny bars that look like they're placed higher than normal. 

-When announcing the refs for the game, the announcers mentioned their "day jobs".  (e.g. "he's an insurance salesman")

-The Dolphins didn't sell the game out by the Wednesday of the game so it was blacked out in Miami.  It did sell out after being  blacked out though.  Typical Miami "fans".

-The old school commercials were interesting.

-The announcing back then was incredibly simplistic.  Very few attempts at more "in depth analysis" (though some announcers of today could learn from keeping it simple).

-The ridiculous placement of the goalposts.  There was a goal line play where the defensive players had to squeeze in behind the goalpost.  Hard to believe that actually went on.

-The stats of these players were interesting.  Paul Warfield (who I always thought was a Brown for some reason) had 29 receptions that year but 11 TDs.  One of the RBs (I think Larry Csonka) was "the 5th RB in history to have 3 seasons of 1,000 YDs rushing". 

Anyway, RIP Garo.  70 is too young to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMucj-NUGHs

Archived