"..3 Potential Landing spots for colin kaepernick "... yup, we're one of them ~ ~ ~ Article dated March 9, 2015

kelly

Jayson Braddock of KBME in Houston is reporting that San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick is on the tradingicon1.png block. Yes, the 27-year-old signal caller has flashed signs of brilliance during his four-year NFL career, but inconsistencies and signs of immaturity have many people around the league questioning his long-term viability as a franchise quarterback. The 49ers locked up Kaepernick to a long-term extension prior to the 2014 season, but they structured it in a way that would make it relatively easy to move on from their starting quarterback at any time. With that being said, 49ers’ general manager Trent Baalke has adamantly denied all reports that he is entertaining trade offers for the Nevada Wolfpack legend.

While Baalke may be denying interest in shipping the de facto face of the franchise out of town, recent roster activity, and a seemingly clear-cut desire to move on from all things related to Jim Harbaugh, make the idea of the 49ers trading Kaepernick a very realistic possibility. In the eventicon1.png that he is indeed on the trading block, here is a look at three potential landing spots for Colin Kaepernick.

~ ~  3.  New York Jets

Brian Hoyer officially joined the Texans, leaving the Jets with Geno Smith as their starting quarterback. After an offseason that saw the Jets trade for Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall and talented running back Zac Stacy, sign running back Stevan Ridley, and draft wide receiver Devin Smith, the Jets could suddenly be a quarterback away from having an offense that may actually strike fear into opposing defensive coordinators. New general managericon1.png Mike Maccagnan has proven that he is willing to be aggressive, and landing a player like Kaepernick could be enough to turn the Jets into a legitimate playoff contender in 2015.

ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Hoyer reportedly leaning toward, leaving the Jets with Geno Smith as their starting quarterback. After an offseason that saw the Jets trade for Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall and talented running back Zac Stacy, sign running back Stevan Ridley, and draft wide receiver Devin Smith, the Jets could suddenly be a quarterback away from having an offense that may actually strike fear into opposing defensive coordinators. New general manager Mike Maccagnan has proven that he is willing to be aggressive, and landing a player like Kaepernick could be enough to turn the Jets into a legitimate playoff contender in 2015.

> http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nfl-3-potential-landing-spots-for-colin-kaepernick.html/?ref=YF

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need a quarterback because we didn't get... Brian Hoyer?  That stiff probably wouldn't even make this team.  That article is before the draft and the Fitzpatrick trade. I don't like Kaepernick, but I guess if Gailey could succeed with Slash, he could move the chains with Kaepernick

If Bowles, Mac and Gailey are on board I'm all for it. Bowles faced him 2 times a year the past few years, so he knows the type of player Kap is and the problems he can present to a defense.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

We need a quarterback because we didn't get... Brian Hoyer?  That stiff probably wouldn't even make this team.  That article is before the draft and the Fitzpatrick trade. I don't like Kaepernick, but I guess if Gailey could succeed with Slash, he could move the chains with Kaepernick

Yeah this seems ancient history Brian Hoyer are you kidding me- w e lost out on him so we have to get another QB. No we need a consistent QB because we have not had one forever.

We need a quarterback because we didn't get... Brian Hoyer? That stiff probably wouldn't even make this team. That article is before the draft and the Fitzpatrick trade. I don't like Kaepernick, but I guess if Gailey could succeed with Slash, he could move the chains with Kaepernick

I saw that what a ridiculous comment. Hoyer was by far the worst qb in the league second half last yr

Interesting report.....

I believe that he is an upgrade from Geno but the question is how much and at what cost?

No question the guy can make big time plays but I am not sure where he is at mentally.  I for one stuck by Sanchez forever only to find out that he was not truly focused on being the best and would actually put other players on his own team down based on draft status....

Wary wary wary.....

Kaepernick on the Trade Block?

Posted on  March 9, 2015 by Jason Fitzgerald

Sometime last night there was a report that 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick was on the trade block. The 49ers quickly refuted the report, but since I am getting a number of questions about it here is how a trade would work from a financial perspective.

Any trade involving Kaepernick would result in a $9,863,013 charge against the 49ers salary cap. Kaepernick’s current cap figure of $15,265,753 would vanish and the 49ers would realize a cap savings of $5,402,740.  The 49ers would carry no charges for Kaepernick in 2016 if traded.

The team acquiring Kaepernick would need to have the space available to take on a salary cap charge of $12,800,000. Over the next three seasons his future cap charges would be $14,300,000, $16,900,000, and $17,400,000. Most of those salaries are guaranteed for injury and become fully guaranteed if he is on the roster on April 1 of each year, which is very late, so a team trading for him would have ample time to determine if they wanted to release him in the future.

In general those terms are very cheap for a starting QB. The team aquiring him would look at the contract likely as either a two year deal for $13.55 million a season or four year deal for $15.35 million, with the option to reduce if things go badly. That should make him very attractive and likely drive the price to a first round pick plus more. A few years ago the 49ers received two second round picks for Alex Smith and I believe the market would be stronger for Kaepernick who has far more tools to work with than Smith.

I had made a comment before all of this started that Kaepernick would be a good target for the Eagles down the line if things went poorly in San Francisco this season. I would imagine they would be a team interested now, but in many cases these rumors get started because a team like Philadelphia will pick up the phone and say “any interest in moving player X” and when the reply isn’t an immediate hang up rumors can get started.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

http://overthecap.com/kaepernick-trade-block/

We need a quarterback because we didn't get... Brian Hoyer? That stiff probably wouldn't even make this team. That article is before the draft and the Fitzpatrick trade. I don't like Kaepernick, but I guess if Gailey could succeed with Slash, he could move the chains with Kaepernick

That's what I thought too, but they mention the Stacey trade and Devin Smith pick....so idk why they'd not include Fitz.

That's what I thought too, but they mention the Stacey trade and Devin Smith pick....so idk why they'd not include Fitz.

Yeah, you're right.  Considering the typo in the 2nd paragraph I would bet this is an update on some older slideshow.  

Hopefully he winds up with the Eagles or the Bears.  If we're going to trade away a boatload of picks and/or players and shell out an obscene amount of money for a QB, I would hope that he's actually, you know...good.  

And we're paying that contract...how?

I don't think his contract is that crazy.   It is only guaranteed for injury.  For performance you can cut him before April 1 of any season without it being guaranteed.  He is getting in the 12-17 range over the course of it IIRC. Sticking point for me is that I do not like him much as a QB.  

I've been calling for the Jets to trade for Kaepernick even before it was announced he was on the trading block.  I don't care for him much as a person (at least from what I know of him) but I do think he's got a lot of potential as a QB.  I would def offer Mo and Geno for him if the 49ers would go for that.  I have to admit I didn't watch much of him this past year (when apparently he took a step back) but I would still take a chance on him.  He's very tough, has a strong arm, is very mobile and has gotten the 49ers to the NFC title game twice.  Again, he might have regressed last year but I think we could probably do a lot worse than Kaepernick.  If they'd go for Mo and Geno, I'd do it.

I would love this move. Mo, Geno and next years 2. We are immediately Super Bowl contenders.

I'd do that. And the cap hit wouldn't be that big a difference to what he would potentially pay Mo anyways. If they wanted Petty instead of Geno I'd do that too.

And we're paying that contract...how?

I would assume by including Mo Wilkerson in any deal. I am not a huge Kap fan, but the guy is far better than what we have now. And like someone said before, Bowles knows him better than any of us having faced him in the NFC East so I would trust his opinion on the move. 

He's not worth his contract

But aren't QBs overpaid in general?  They're the most valuable position by far and it's the one spot the Jets are truly weak in.  We have a great D and we should have the potential to be a decent O, other than at QB.  We've got Revis for 2-3 years and should have a top D for that long as well.  I say we "go for it" if we have a chance to.  These chance don't come very often.

But aren't QBs overpaid in general? They're the most valuable position by far and it's the one spot the Jets are truly weak in. We have a great D and we should have the potential to be a decent O, other than at QB. We've got Revis for 2-3 years and should have a top D for that long as well. I say we "go for it" if we have a chance to. These chance don't come very often.

Yes they are but he's not that good. Is he better then Geno? obviously. Is he good enough to bring us the the SB? Probably not.

Not a huge fan of Kap. They gave him some decent weapons in San Francisco and he did nothing with them. Hope he doesn't end up on our roster because we finally have something good going here and we don't need him to ruin that.

Here is NFL's ranking of last year's 32 QBs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000452624/article/qb-index-yearend-rankings

Kaep is ranked #16, exactly at the top half of the 2 QBs in the middle of the list of 32. There are 2 QBs ranked ahead of him, Tanny at 13 and Alex Smith at 15, That I would not take over Kaep, and there are no QBs in the 16 spots below him that I would take over Kaep.

So is Kaep an elite qb? No, there are really only 4 of those and none of them will ever be available in free agency. Is he a great qb? No as there are really only 6 of those and more than likely other than maybe 1 none will ever be available in free agency. Is he a bad qb? No, there are 12 stinkers on that list that will never give you a shot at a superbowl. That is that leaves 12 qbs that are either good enough to put up a fight and get you to the big game if they have the right supporting cast, or really young and maybe show some flashes but the jury is still out, or some decent guys that are wildcard game QBs but probably no better. I say Kaep has the skillset to be at or near the top of this middle group of 12 qbs, and probably good enough to get the right team all the way, which he has done in the past.

Because of our roster with top players like Revis and Marshall not having reliable long term futures beyond 3 years, and looming contract extensions in the next 3-4 years, the team is really set up to make a run now, if we have to wait for a drafted player or QB developmental project we will miss the window.

I would love this move. Mo, Geno and next years 2. We are immediately Super Bowl contenders.

The 49ers would be jumping up and down with an offer like that. Kap isn't worth a number 2 pick and Geno let along throwing Wilkerson out there. Never a good idea to trade a player who you know is good for a player you know is not and Kap is not I honestly believe Fitzpatrick is a better QB than Kap.

I don't think his contract is that crazy. It is only guaranteed for injury. For performance you can cut him before April 1 of any season without it being guaranteed. He is getting in the 12-17 range over the course of it IIRC. Sticking point for me is that I do not like him much as a QB.

Sticking point for me is that we have no money for the next two years.

Sticking point for me is that we have no money for the next two years.

True, but we would be pretty loaded with talent for the next 2 years, and beyond that horizon we will be running into personel/money issues with Cro, Marshall, Revis, Mo, Richardson anyway.

I think we have some good long term players and a long term path here, but if we are going to make use of some excellent players we have right now it would seem we may need to be bold with a qb pickup if it is possible.

True, but we would be pretty loaded with talent for the next 2 years, and beyond that horizon we will be running into personel/money issues with Cro, Marshall, Revis, Mo, Richardson anyway.

I think we have some good long term players and a long term path here, but if we are going to make use of some excellent players we have right now it would seem we may need to be bold with a qb pickup if it is possible.

Sure. I'm obviously speaking in hypotheticals but that's the nature of this topic anyways. If the Harris and Cromartie deals cost us a shot at a QB that would be bad. If not, no big deal.

No thanks. Not interested. Dude has looked like crap every game I've watched him in for the past couple of years. If they're going to mortgage the next few years, let it be for a proven commodity (which I know is not available), but please not this turd.

Archived