The Big Cat

Jetsmanjb

He ain't the big cat.. yet.

08jets-popup.jpg

Didn't amount to much at the end of the day but I wish he'd just retired a Jet instead of playing for the Pats.

Didn't amount to much at the end of the day but I wish he'd just retired a Jet instead of playing for the Pats.

He wasn't the stud we expected, but he was damn solid imo. Rarely missed games, played real hard, and got to the QB enough. 

If Williams is all we are hoping for, then the whole "Yet" part of my statement will work out. 

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/4/14/8365157/2015-nfl-draft-leonard-williams-breakdown-scouting-report-damn-he-is-good

Good scouting report on Williams. Only 20 years old and his body is probably still maturing. Can't believe the Redskins passed on him for Scherrif.

I wonder how the Jets Draft would have been changed in the Skins did take LW?

Do we take White, which then takes the Devin Smith pick off the board which means we may have gone OLB in the 2nd etc, etc.

#92 Shaun Ellis will forever be the Big Kat for the NY Jets. He was a DAMN SOLID PROFESSIONAL DE and cornerstone for the Jets FOR YEARS. He was one Parcells' last gifts to the Jets from the 2000 draft.

We have a great history of tough lineman and Williams' scary potential can possibly surpass all of them.

Is he the highest drafted lineman in Jets history aside from D-Rob in '03?

Williams is such a monster.  That highlight video is great.  He flies around the field, such a burst, so powerful, great tackler.  Just so many wow moments.  

And how about those picks too?  Looks like a TE when he catches the ball.  

What are the chances we have him line up at TE w/ Sheldon in the backfield? ;-)

Thanks for the clip ... Hope you didn't have anything to do with the "music"

Love this guy's nose for the ball ... And he seems to finish plays with an explosion!

Am very - VERY excited to see how we use him & his performance :win:

6'5" Height

• 34 5/8" Arm Length
  • 302LBS. Weight
  • 10 5/8" Hands

Add to that a sub 5 Forty!

Get this young man into an NFL weight room for a few months, add 10 lbs of muscle  and watch the improvement.

Could he be another JJ Watt? I sure hope so.

6'5" Height

• 34 5/8" Arm Length
  • 302LBS. Weight
  • 10 5/8" Hands

Add to that a sub 5 Forty!

Get this young man into an NFL weight room for a few months, add 10 lbs of muscle  and watch the improvement.

Could he be another JJ Watt? I sure hope so.

Me too..but 45 years has me hedging my bets, especially after Gholsten.

#92 Shaun Ellis will forever be the Big Kat for the NY Jets. He was a DAMN SOLID PROFESSIONAL DE and cornerstone for the Jets FOR YEARS. He was one Parcells' last gifts to the Jets from the 2000 draft.

We have a great history of tough lineman and Williams' scary potential can possibly surpass all of them.

Is he the highest drafted lineman in Jets history aside from D-Rob in '03?

As a 6th pick, tied with two other "legendary" Jets.   Barzilauskas(remember him, old timers?) in 1974, and Gholston in 2008.

Me too..but 45 years has me hedging my bets, especially after Gholsten.

You're still stuck on Gholston? That was seven years ago! Besides, Gholston was never anywhere CLOSE to the prospect Williams was. Gholston was a reach who only made it that high because of combine numbers. Williams is both a physical freak AND a football player.

You're still stuck on Gholston? That was seven years ago! Besides, Gholston was never anywhere CLOSE to the prospect Williams was. Gholston was a reach who only made it that high because of combine numbers. Williams is both a physical freak AND a football player.

I was really being tongue and cheek.

I dont give a fukk about Gholsten.

When?

All Big Ten, All-American, Ohio State sack records for games and season, most sacks in D1 over his last 2 seasons, but it was all combine baby!

When?

All Big Ten, All-American, Ohio State sack records for games and season, most sacks in D1 over his last 2 seasons, but it was all combine baby!

I'm still baffled by the fact that so many people refer to Gholston as a "workout warrior"...insanely productive college career at a long-time national powerhouse but because he topped that off with a great showing at the combine, people constantly make that claim.  By that logic, wouldn't that make every productive college player with a strong combine showing a workout warrior?

The key to his scouting report is that he is still developing its going to take a few years IMHO before he shows he can be consistently dominant Im not sure he will have as big a rookie impact as Sheldon did but I think his upside it totally off the charts

I wonder how the Jets Draft would have been changed in the Skins did take LW?

Do we take White, which then takes the Devin Smith pick off the board which means we may have gone OLB in the 2nd etc, etc.

At this point it doesn't even matter- I don't think there are many other scenarios where our draft turns out better

I'm still baffled by the fact that so many people refer to Gholston as a "workout warrior"...insanely productive college career at a long-time national powerhouse but because he topped that off with a great showing at the combine, people constantly make that claim.  By that logic, wouldn't that make every productive college player with a strong combine showing a workout warrior?

If he was so good in college, then why do you think he sucked so bad in the NFL?

The key to his scouting report is that he is still developing its going to take a few years IMHO before he shows he can be consistently dominant Im not sure he will have as big a rookie impact as Sheldon did but I think his upside it totally off the charts

He's the most pro-ready prospect in the draft. If anything, he's more likely than any other player in this draft class to make an immediate impact. If he's going to be a developmental player, then you'd have to say the same for Cooper, Winston, Mariota etc.

He's the most pro-ready prospect in the draft. If anything, he's more likely than any other player in this draft class to make an immediate impact. If he's going to be a developmental player, then you'd have to say the same for Cooper, Winston, Mariota etc.

not calling him developmental by any stretch what Im saying is hes not going to be Reggie White his first season and Im willing to be some Jets fans will be disappointed if he does not put up huge numbers.

If he was so good in college, then why do you think he sucked so bad in the NFL?

Simple...add him to the list of thousands of players who were great at the college level and couldn't perform against superior competition...it happens every year.

It doesn't change the fact that he was incredibly productive before having a great combine.

Workout warriors (IMO) are guys who nobody was talking about before the draft being propelled into the earlier rounds based on a 40 time....that wasn't Gholston.

I'm not saying he was unsuccessful in college, however, it means nothing if you don't have certain intangibles beyond physical talent. All the scouting reports pre-draft talked about he had no motor or instincts for the game. In the NFL, everybody is big, strong and fast. You need more than strength to be successful in the NFL.

Gholston strikes me as the kind of guy that was only passively interested in football and only played it because it came easy to him, primarily due to his size. Upon arriving to the NFL, he probably realized early on that he couldn't bull-rush every single play and soonafter lost motivation/interest for the game instead of adapting and learning new skills. From there, everything went downhill.

I'm not saying he was unsuccessful in college, however, it means nothing if you don't have certain intangibles beyond physical talent. All the scouting reports pre-draft talked about he had no motor or instincts for the game. In the NFL, everybody is big, strong and fast. You need more than strength to be successful in the NFL.

Gholston strikes me as the kind of guy that was only passively interested in football and only played it because it came easy to him, primarily due to his size. Upon arriving to the NFL, he probably realized early on that he couldn't bull-rush every single play and soonafter lost motivation/interest for the game instead of adapting and learning new skills. From there, everything went downhill.

This is false. 

Analysis

Positives: Has a well-built frame with a wide back, broad shoulders, V-shaped torso, large hands, long limbs, defined muscles throughout and thick thighs and calves...Excellent speed rusher who needs to be accounted for on every play and has good field presence, locating the ball quickly to fly to it and contain the run...Has the ability to consistently disrupt the backfield, as he has the speed to escape and the strength to overpower offensive tackles off the edge...Plays with the type of effort and emotion that makes a coach comfortable knowing that he will make plays all over the field...Has great flexibility and balance working down the line and changing direction...Has a low center of gravity and strong anchor, making it very rare to see him on the ground...When he is taken off of his feet, he is quick to recover and get back into the action...Has loose hips, good knee bend and balance in his running stride when chasing long distances...Has rare ability to run the field for a player his size and can be sudden in his initial movement...Shows the in-line range and low pad level to shoot the gaps, playing with leverage when competing at the point of attack...Shows the effort to impact the play even if he doesn't make the tackle...Plays with a high motor and shows a natural feel for the game, as he continues to improve his ability to anticipate and jump the play...Self-starter with a great passion for the game and is a hard worker in the training room...While very confident in his ability, he is also a humble character with no off-field issues...Rare to see him talk trash and just goes about his business...Has a sudden first step to defeat an offensive tackle coming off the edge and the uncanny ability to anticipate the snap cadence and time his jumps...His low center of gravity lets him consistently shoot the gaps...Has that good blend of quickness and strength to hold ground at the point of attack...Has the quickness to penetrate when working inside and is very disruptive coming off the snap, as he is quick and active with his hand punch to rock the bigger blockers back on their heels...Could punch and shed blockers sooner but he can get upfield and collide with the ballcarrier with good pop on contact...Has the lower-body flexibility to drop his weight and leverage at the point, displaying the body control needed to split double teams...Generally uses his hands effectively to shed and separate, as he battles until the whistle...Can close in a hurry in the short area and takes good angles in pursuit to make plays outside the box...Has the speed to flatten and chase from the backside or the outside...Strong wrap-up tackler who can adjust in space and finish plays on his own...Consistently plays on his feet and is very quick coming off the edge, as he can turn the corner, showing the flexibility and counter moves (must be more consistent with the counter) to come under and also has the strength to bull rush or push the pocket...Is starting to develop a good feel for his pass-rush package (still needs to rely on those moves more) and knows how to keep his hands off and get free...Also capable of maintaining inside position when he sinks his pads...Has the second gear to close on the pocket and, while he gets most of his sacks off backside pursuit, he is also able to take an in-line gap to impact the backfield.

Negatives: Has loose hips to drop back in pass coverage, but when he gets too tall in his backpedal, he fails to get a clean turn coming out of his breaks...Instinctive player, but is still a relatively new to the game and needs more reps to help him gain experience, as he relies on his athletic ability...Has improved his technique, but can't be considered a technician using his hands or displaying an array of pass rush moves...Must develop a better feel for blocking schemes, as he doesn't always protect his body from cut blocks and is not yet consistent at splitting double teams...Can be fooled by misdirection and while he gives total effort, he sometimes can't find the ball until it is past him.

Compares To: JOHN ABRAHAM-Atlanta...Both players rely on a perfect blend of strength and suddenness off the snap to wreak havoc in the backfield. Gholston has a relentless motor in pursuit. If he had more on-field experience, he could be an outstanding linebacker at the next level. However, with teams looking for hybrid Cover-2 pass rushers, he is perfectly capable of impacting the backfield coming off the edge or dropping back into the zone to cover vs. the pass. He is still a raw talent that gets by on his athletic ability, but in a few years, with patient coaching and more experience, he has the potential to change the game, much like Abraham, Dwight Freeney (Indianapolis) and Jason Taylor (Miami) have done playing in that role.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2008/profiles/vernon-gholston?id=756

That is literally the most basic scouting report and the one any mook looking to do a mock draft would refer to.  Probably based on Gil Brandt and /or Lance Zierlein

Wow. He was bad in the NFL, so he must have sucked in college. I guess we should go back and review Aaron Curry at Wake Forest . Maybe he should give back the Butkus award. I mean he couldn't have been that good in college - he sucked in the NFL.

Look at you defending the Mangini legacy. Playing 'possum this whole time.

Archived