OTA Positional Battles

Jetsfan80

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-6/Jets-Focus-Positional-Battles/cdf8f9a9-5e6d-43b9-be6a-f06c14a0d2e5

Jets Focus: Positional Battles

Posted 2 hours ago

Eric Allen Sr. Reporter/Director, Internet Programming

QB Geno Smith to Run New System at Organized Team Activities (OTAs)

The Jets aren’t scheduled to release a depth chart until August. But with Organized Team Activities (OTAs) set to commence this week here in Florham Park, suddenly training camp doesn’t seem so far away and position battles are about to heat up.

Recently NFL.com’s Gregg Rosenthal took a look at the Jets roster and projected the Green & White’s Week 1 starting lineup. Rosenthal provided some interesting analysis as well, covering the QB, WR3 & G positions on offense while lining up the Jets in a 3-3-5 on defense.

QB: Ryan Fitzpatrick's injury gives Geno a leg up in this competition,” Rosenthal said. “Smith's skill set suits Chan Gailey's style, and the weapons around him give Smith a better chance to succeed than ever before. He played like a competent starter in December last season.”

Coach Bowles said Geno Smith will go into camp with the first unit offense and Ryan Fitzpatrick will head into summer with the second team.  I don’t think Fitzpatrick will necessarily be hurt by the leg injury. The Jets are just playing it safe with the veteran and Fitzpatrick experienced success with Jets OC Chan Gailey when the two teamed up from 2010-’12 in Buffalo. Smith wants to build off that last quarter when he completed 65% of his passes with 6 TD and 2 INT while posting a 105.3 passer rating. The 10 OTA sessions will be huge for Smith because – while there is no live contact – 11-on-11 drills are permitted. How is he grasping Gailey’s system?

WR3: “We give Kerley the edge over rookie second-round pick Devin Smith for now,” Rosenthal said. “The Jets need speed, and figure to use Smith at first as the team's designated home run hitter. That's more of a No. 4 receiver job, with Kerley getting more snaps in the slot. Marshall will also move inside plenty.”

Great point about Marshall. That is a 6’4”, 230-pound handful and then some for any of the league’s nickel corners. Gailey must be smiling thinking about lining up Marshall against some poor 5’9”, 175-pounder who can dance like a ballerina yet will be overmatched against big receivers. While Gailey definitely will make defenses defend sideline-to-sideline, his WR sets figure to vary. Let’s see how quickly Smith can develop.  We know he can stretch the field and that is a big plus immediately.

Guard: Rosenthal pencils in veteran Willie Colon as a starting guard along with former Seahawk James Carpenter.  While I covered guard in my latest Q&A, the pairings will probably be determined by sides. In an ideal world, your LG is a more athletic player who can pull while your RG is considered the more powerful force. If Colon starts, he would figure to be the RG while Carpenter would be the LG. But there are a number of players in the mix at the position including Colon, Oday Aboushi, Brian Winters, Dakota Dozier, and even rookie Jarvis Harrison. It could be wide open.

Defensive Starters: Rosenthal selected a 3-3-5 based on the reasoning that the Jets aren’t paying CB Buster Skrine to sit on the bench. He also labeled the Jets’ outside pass rush options as ‘familiar and boring'. But the Jets T6 in the league last season with 45 sacks – a number eclipsed by only two Jets teams since 1982. All five players who racked up at least five sacks – Sheldon Richardson (8.0), Quinton Coples (6.5), Muhammad Wilkerson (6.0), David Harris (5.5) and Calvin Pace (5.0) – return. Coples and Pace both play outside and Rosenthal lists "Q" in his starting lineup. Pace remains a quality football player and figures to play a lot of ball in 2015. Todd Bowles and Kacy Rodgers have a ton of options with their stacked front and excellent corners who thrive in man-to-man situations. The Jets don’t have to blitz to get to the quarterback, but when they do – watch out. Skrine, an underrated pick-up considering the Jets’ reunions of Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie will certainly play a bunch. But so will rookie DL Leonard Williams and let’s see how quickly Lorenzo Mauldin can become a factor in sub situations. Bowles and Rodgers will have packages galore, so don’t worry about the starting lineup here.

People "penciling" Colon into a guard spot are being very lazy in their reporting.  He was

on the street as a free agent and we re-signed him for depth purposes.  Carpenter was

brought in to start at one spot and Aboushi was significantly better than Colon or Winters

last year.  I wouldn't be shocked if Colon ends up being cut towards the end of camp

I think if Geno focuses, he can do it.

A lot of Bills fans say EJ was the better QB but has EJ ever thrown for over 300 yards and a few Touchdowns with that putrid WR core from last year?

Has he ever stayed on the field long enough to do so? I think we are the better team after the Patriots.

I can't stand that lisping fruitcake.

Anyway, I think Fitz will win the QB battle unless the injury somehow keeps him out or limited by the time camp starts. The #3 job is not between Smith and Kerley. Kerley is a pure slot receiver, Devin Smith is an outside guy. In 3 WR sets I'd say Marshall gets off the field, then you have Decker & Smith outside with Kerley in the slot, probably rotating with Marshall every now and then. But Smith is not taking any snaps from Kerley, that makes no sense. On to the guards, there's no way Colon "beats out" Aboushi. The guy was handed a pathetic vet minimum deal for one year, he's pure depth at this point. He was one of the worst guards in the league last season, he's a penalty machine and he's not getting any younger. Chan is not a moron, he's not gonna play his buddies like Rex does.

People "penciling" Colon into a guard spot are being very lazy in their reporting.  He was

on the street as a free agent and we re-signed him for depth purposes.  Carpenter was

brought in to start at one spot and Aboushi was significantly better than Colon or Winters

last year.  I wouldn't be shocked if Colon ends up being cut towards the end of camp

The one thing that would probably save Colon from getting cut is the vet minimum contract he signed. He makes no money and he's decent depth I guess. But with guys like Harrison, Dozier, maybe even Winters you have to wonder who gets cut. I'd say Colon and Winters. Winters was moved to Center during OTA's. No way he beats out Dalton for the backup job, he's been the backup Center for 3 years now and he looked damn good last season. Plus the torn ACL thing probably doesn't help Winters...

Anyway, I think Fitz will win the QB battle unless the injury somehow keeps him out or limited by the time camp starts. The #3 job is not between Smith and Kerley. Kerley is a pure slot receiver, Devin Smith is an outside guy. In 3 WR sets I'd say Marshall gets off the field, then you have Decker & Smith outside with Kerley in the slot, probably rotating with Marshall every now and then. But Smith is not taking any snaps from Kerley, that makes no sense. On to the guards, there's no way Colon "beats out" Aboushi. The guy was handed a pathetic vet minimum deal for one year, he's pure depth at this point. He was one of the worst guards in the league last season, he's a penalty machine and he's not getting any younger. Chan is not a moron, he's not gonna play his buddies like Rex does.

Your underestimating how good Marshall is out of the slot, it will be Kerley on the bench not Marshall when both Decker, and Smith are outside.

The one thing that would probably save Colon from getting cut is the vet minimum contract he signed. He makes no money and he's decent depth I guess. But with guys like Harrison, Dozier, maybe even Winters you have to wonder who gets cut. I'd say Colon and Winters. Winters was moved to Center during OTA's. No way he beats out Dalton for the backup job, he's been the backup Center for 3 years now and he looked damn good last season. Plus the torn ACL thing probably doesn't help Winters...

The one thing Colon brings that the others don't is a leadership type veteran presence, this can't be overlooked, he has been with this cast for 2 full seasons, and like Faneca, and TRich before him in 2011 he might be a necessary evil if Geno is gonna be under center, unfortunately both Dbrick, and Mangold don't bring that outspoken leadership ability with them lIke Colon does, even if it's from a backup swing 6th blocking role, we saw what the lack of good veteran leadership did to the 2011 Jets when those guys were cast off, and I think that is why he was signed back here for.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see any other player on the starting 11 from last year who is willing to be a vocal leader on, and off the field from the offensive side of the ball, Geno no, Decker no, Kerley no, both Dbrick, and Mangold have shown in the past no, Amaro please, Ivory, no. Maybe, just maybe Powell if given a larger role could be that guy, but I'm not sure. Marshall is the new guy, he will be vocal on, and off the field, but how that is taken from a controversial figure who is new to the team is an unknown.

If Fitz starts he will need to command the respect of the other 10 in the huddle quickly for it to work, and make a Colon type not necessary.

Could be way off on the Jets thinking here, but outside of Fitz coming in, and taking full command the Jets offense is a group of talented (non QB ad of now) players desperately in need of a leader to gel the group together, and if it's not the QB it has to come from a group of players like the 09 Jets had with Woody, Faneca, TRich, and T Jones. And Colon could be the guy that heads such a group up vocally. It's really what this offense has missed in the last 3 years sands poor QB play.

No way is Fitz starting. With Decker and Marshall firmly on Geno's side, the way he ended last season, and the fact he is a ton more upside there really is no way Fitz starts the season over Geno. Geno may get pulled if he is terrible, but he will get a shot under Bowles and Gailey. And Jets fans should want that. Fitz is a nothing JAG

No way is Fitz starting. With Decker and Marshall firmly on Geno's side, the way he ended last season, and the fact he is a ton more upside there really is no way Fitz starts the season over Geno. Geno may get pulled if he is terrible, but he will get a shot under Bowles and Gailey. And Jets fans should want that. Fitz is a nothing JAG

I have to agree with this, my main concern is that Geno turns out to be a nothing JAG, or even worse, but you are right the book is already out on what Fitz is, where Geno has a slight chance still to improve, and prove doubters wrong, so outside of falling flat on his face trying to run Gailey's offense this offseason/preseason he should have his chance.

People "penciling" Colon into a guard spot are being very lazy in their reporting. He was

on the street as a free agent and we re-signed him for depth purposes. Carpenter was

last year. I wouldn't be shocked if Colon ends up being cut towards the end of camp

I think Carpenter and Aboushi are the starting guards next year but Colon I wouldn't be shocked if he started again. Not really a compliment to Colon I just am very underwhelmed by our OL talent.

I think Decker and Marshall are simply trying to be good teammates and support their potential starting qb. Whoever performs best in TC and preseason is the week 1 starter.

Your underestimating how good Marshall is out of the slot, it will be Kerley on the bench not Marshall when both Decker, and Smith are outside.

I know how good he is out of the slot, but if he plays in the slot then Kerley might as well not even suit up. I don't want that. I don't want Marshall out there on every down, he should stay fresh. At worst you rotate them both, but Kerley IMO should be the guy getting the majority of the snaps out of the slot.

I was gonna say the exact same thing. No way the Jets take Marshall off the field to run with Kerley and Smith. 

I wouldn't say no way, but I do think Geno has to be the favorite heading into camp. Like you say, the starting WRs seem to be in his corner, and Bowles has already announced that Geno will open camp with the first team. It's Geno's job to lose, IMHO. That's not to say that he's incapable of losing it. 

I think it will also be interesting to see what the new guy Devier Posey has to offer.  While he didn't get a lot of chances last year; he has shown some flashes including a touchdown two years ago in the playoffs for the Texans.  He seems to run good routes; has good speed and has pretty nice hands..   I don't think the new staff is going to "award" the third receiver position to Kerley; he is going to have to compete and win it.  I think Chris Owusu could be in play here too. 

There are 4 training camp battles that will interest me.

The 1st is the battle at QB because of the importance of the position and what it could mean to the team and the outcome of the season. A team divided in a QB controversy does us no good, so I want there to be a clear cut winner.

The 2nd is the battle for the 2 starting OG positions because of it's importance to whom ever win the starting QB's job and the running game. A strong running game allows the Jets to play action and that would go along way to improving the play of the QB.

The 3rd is the battle at the SS position because I haven't seen anything from Pryor that makes me think he should be anointed the starter at the position.

The 4th is probably the next important to the QB battle and that is the battle for the starting RT position . The play of Giacomini last year and the addition of James  Brewer should make for an interesting  competition. The Jets need to build the best OL they can to either protect the aging Fitzpatrick or keep the upstart Geno Smith from continuing down the path he's been on the last 2 yrs.

Smith does not have to play inside to take snaps from Kerley. Kerley will lose snaps when Marshall moves inside which do to his size and fearlessness over the middle will happen more often than not. IF, and its a big if, Smith proves he's ready now you may very well see a lot of Marshall in the slot he's a huge target who will move the chains and you can then take advantage of Smith on the outside. Also keep in mind Marshall Is a monster in the running game and can block or help out much better from the slot position. In these scenarios you create mismatches for defenses something we have not been able to do for years with Clowns like Santonio probably refusing to do anything else required of a WR. Don't forget Decker can play in the slot as well and is also a good blocker in the running game. We have a very well rounded group and Gailey will create the mismatches

Archived