Dee Milliner & Dexter McDougle ~ ~ ~

kelly

Milliner and Dexter McDougle, who are both cornerbacks, were limited at voluntary veteran minicamp two weeks ago, and McDougle told our Darryl Slater at the time he hoped to be ready to go by training camp. Because Milliner is coming off a torn Achilles and McDougle's issue is an ACL, there's no real reason to rush either of them back into full workouts before training camp. We'll know more this week, when the Jets begin organized team activities, with media access on Wednesday.It's likely they'll both be ready, though it's by no means certain at this point. How they fare at OTAs and minicamp in the next month will go a long way toward answering your question. It's also pretty likely they make the 53-man roster. Just because the Jets got Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie hardly means they're ready to give up on Milliner and McDougle. It's actually a pretty good situation for both of them: They get a chance to develop behind a pair of proven veterans without being rushed into action unless absolutely necessary. Besides, what if Revis and/or Cromartie gets hurt? It's certainly possible, at this point, considering the Jets haven't had much in the way of on-field workouts. They're going to use OTAs and minicamp to begin to gauge how all of the roster pieces fit, but there's no great way to judge a running back's progress and potential until they put the pads on and the hits start happening in training camp.

After Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell, Stevan Ridley and Zac Stacy are the most likely candidates to make it, though, again, it's difficult to say much more at this point because Ridley is coming off ACL surgery and needs a chance to show what he can do. Enunwa fared pretty well at rookie minicamp last week, though that competition wasn't anything close to what he'll face this summer. Owusu flashed some tremendous potential as a kick returner in last season's finale at the Dolphins; as of right now, that may give him a leg up over that group you asked about. But, again, with a new coaching staff in place and most of the on-field workouts yet to come, it's a bit too soon to make any definitive predictions. I hate to keep chickening out by pointing out how early it is, but it's tough to tell with a new staff that hasn't had much of a chance to see what everyone can do on the field. Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Jeremy Kerley, and Devin Smith are locks. DeVier Posey, acquired in a draft-night trade from the Texans, would figure to have a leg up on the others, though his spot, too, is by no means assured. Beyond that, the others all have to prove themselves. Someone (perhaps Owusu) ought to emerge as a kick returner. Someone else (Walt Powell?) may distinguish himself returning punts. But the ultimate answer to your question may come down to how deep the Jets want to be at any number of other positions, which will be determined this summer.

NFL rules only permit teams to activate two quarterbacks on game day. The Jets likely won't keep more than three quarterbacks on the 53-man roster, since doing so would force them to deactivate more than one every week. They clearly hope to develop Bryce Petty, which means Matt Simms and Jake Heaps have their work cut out for them this summer. Via email, Ira from Staten Island: "[Lorenzo] Mauldin would give the Jets some much added speed coming off the edge and might surprise some people earlier then expected. Do you see him taking over for [Calvin] Pace?"...Yes, I do think this possible, though not necessarily at the start of the season. Mauldin, like any rookie will need time to prove himself. But if he picks things up quickly, it's certainly possible he could supplant Pace—who turns 35 in October—at some point during the season, if not sooner. Something else to remember: This defense could use more speed on the edge, but it also stands to get more coverage sacks this season than it did a year ago. But Bowles really likes to blitz, so he may want that speed off the edge that you mentioned, which Mauldin can give him.

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/05/jets_mailbag_whats_the_latest_on_dee_milliner_and.html

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are both made of glass, and while Milliner played well in spurts during his rookie year, he was also benched. I say it doesn't hurt to keep him, but I'm not expecting him to amount to an elite corner anytime soon.

I am rooting for McDougle, but the reality is that he's coming off of a major injury and hasn't even been through a full training camp. It's going to be an uphill battle for him.

IMO, Milliner is almost as much of a bust as gholston. Not quite, but real close.

With that said, the team would be doing a disservice by not letting him prove his worth this year, which might be his last shot at making it in the league. If he's cut by Jets, at any point, one more team will pick him as a project and hell get, what I gotta believe, his last chance at making it.

IMO, Milliner is almost as much of a bust as gholston. Not quite, but real close.

Perhaps.  He's shown more flashes than Gholston has, but if you can't stay on the field, it doesn't matter how talented you are.  Cro and Revis aren't going to be here long, so Milliner and McDougle will both have their chances to prove their worth.  And they're certainly playing for one of the best possible coaches for their purposes.

With that said, the team would be doing a disservice by not letting him prove his worth this year, which might be his last shot at making it in the league. If he's cut by Jets, at any point, one more team will pick him as a project and hell get, what I gotta believe, his last chance at making it.

I hope you're wrong..

:winking0001:

Milliner has played some pretty good NFL games.  Enough not to give up on him.  Gholston never came close to doing that (which had nothing to do with injuries)  and he was drafted higher.  Not much of a comparison there, I'm afraid.

Milliner has played some pretty good NFL games. Enough not to give up on him. Gholston never came close to doing that (which had nothing to do with injuries) and he was drafted higher. Not much of a comparison there, I'm afraid.

Eh. I'm not buying he played some decent games. The kid made one great break on a ball in an end-of-season game and everybody screams, "Potential!"

He looked like the same lousy player in beginning of 2014. Not much hope for him, I'm afraid. But, he's cheap with upside and a new HC so he sticks around, like, I assume, Gholston stuck around.

BUST!! some people have waaaay too much hope for Milliner. He sucks. Sucks. Sucks. Sucks. If I was forced to choose right now, I'd choose mcdougal even though I've seen him less. He can't suck as bad as milliner.

Eh. I'm not buying he played some decent games. The kid made one great break on a ball in an end-of-season game and everybody screams, "Potential!"

He looked like the same lousy player in beginning of 2014. Not much hope for him, I'm afraid. But, he's cheap with upside and a new HC so he sticks around, like, I assume, Gholston stuck around.

BUST!! some people have waaaay too much hope for Milliner. He sucks. Sucks. Sucks. Sucks. If I was forced to choose right now, I'd choose mcdougal even though I've seen him less. He can't suck as bad as milliner.

Thought you were the voice of reason man. lol

I think Milliner will be at minimum a very good #2 CB IF he can stay healthy.

Remember, corners almost never come in the league and play great right away. Revis struggled his rookie year and wasn't the all pro till year 3. Now Revis also showed more potential in years 1 and 2 than Milliner has, but Revis is also all world when it comes to playing corner. Milliner held his own and played well against Josh Gordon and Mike Wallace at the end of his rookie year (yes he did get beat by Wallace on a deep pass that Wallace either dropped or was over thrown, can't remember now, but still had much more positive plays than negative). Even the SD game last year I remember as soon as he came in he looked better than any corner we had (not saying a lot, but still) and had very good coverage on one deep ball in the end zone in particular that he knocked down and could of had a chance at a pick.

Having Revis and Cro is great because....

1. We don't have to throw guys off the street at corner and 7th round safeties to start. We have two reliable guys, one which is the best at his position.

2. It gives Milliner and McDougal time to rehab without having to rush either onto the field. It also gives them mentors to follow, watch film with, etc. If you read Collison Low Crossers you'll remember the positive impact Revis and Cro had on the young guys, instilling a solid work ethic on the field and in the film room.

I'm definitely excited to see Milliner get some playing time this season and see where he's at. I really think he has potential, and I look forward to seeing him on the field this year. McDougal I don't have any expectations for, but will be just as excited to see how he plays if/when he gets on the field. Only thing that worries me about Milliner is an achilles injury is very hard to come back from, he may not have the same athleticism he had prior, where McDougal should be fine as lots of guys come back from ACLs nowadays.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

thats a little much no??

who is a bigger bust? Gholston or D Robertson??

Why does he Dewayne always get left out of bust conversations and poor Vernon get highlighted?

Poor Gholston!

poor, poor vernon.

but dewayne was drafted higher than vernon (pick 4) and had 11 pro bowlers selected after him in just the first round of the 2003 draft....inlcuding terrence newman the next pick and jordan gross, terrell suggs, kevin williams, and marcus trufant in the top 11 picks.....oh and by the way....that doesn't include Troy Polamalu, willis macgahee, dallas clarck, larry johnson, jeff faine, and nnambdi  asomugha who were all selected in the latter half of first round

vernon was drafted later (pick 6) and had only 8 pro bowlers selected after him in the first round of 2008 draft.....only Jerod Mayo and Ryan Clady in the top 12 picks

at the end of the day, the opportunity cost of drafting Dewayne was much higher than drafting Vernon based on the guys drafted after them which IMO makes Dewayne the bigger bust

oh and BTW we traded our 13 overall, 22 overall, and 4th rounder for chicagos #4 overall pick in 2003 to draft dewayne........kinda makes it a no brainer

poor, poor vernon.

but dewayne was drafted higher than vernon (pick 4) and had 11 pro bowlers selected after him in just the first round of the 2003 draft....inlcuding terrence newman the next pick and jordan gross, terrell suggs, kevin williams, and marcus trufant in the top 11 picks.....oh and by the way....that doesn't include Troy Polamalu, willis macgahee, dallas clarck, larry johnson, jeff faine, and nnambdi  asomugha who were all selected in the latter half of first round

vernon was drafted later (pick 6) and had only 8 pro bowlers selected after him in the first round of 2008 draft.....only Jerod Mayo and Ryan Clady in the top 12 picks

at the end of the day, the opportunity cost of drafting Dewayne was much higher than drafting Vernon based on the guys drafted after them which IMO makes Dewayne the bigger bust

oh and BTW we traded our 13 overall, 22 overall, and 4th rounder for chicagos #4 overall pick in 2003 to draft dewayne........kinda makes it a no brainer

I still remember the image of Ted Cottrell doing an Irish jig when Robertson fell to #4.  Ah, the good old days....

Thats one of the worst opinions around here.

thats a little much no??

who is a bigger bust? Gholston or D Robertson??

Why does he Dewayne always get left out of bust conversations and poor Vernon get highlighted?

He was a contributor, unlike Gholston.  But he also was a huge disappointment, particularly because we traded up to get him.

poor, poor vernon.

OMFG I totally forgot about that.  Mother****ing Terry Bradway.  How the hell did he stay employed so long with Jets?  

I still remember the image of Ted Cottrell doing an Irish jig when Robertson fell to #4.  Ah, the good old days....

What was Robertson called again?  "Bowling ball with butcher knives" or something.  Jez, it is wonder we haven't all gone insane.  

Milliner is terrible. Incredibly bad 1st round pick. The sooner they give up the ghost on him, the better. I like the little I saw of McDougal. But he has now been injured in college and already in the pros. If he can recover and stay healthy, big ifs, he may be worth holding on to.

Oh.  Before clicking, I was getting psyched that they had both been cut or traded.

Yes please cut the best mid round draft picks the Jets made in 10 years.  Please be patient.  Once Dexter gets over the injury bug you will see what I already know.  Trust Crusher.  Seriously.  

Milliner is terrible. Incredibly bad 1st round pick. The sooner they give up the ghost on him, the better. I like the little I saw of McDougal. But he has now been injured in college and already in the pros. If he can recover and stay healthy, big ifs, he may be worth holding on to.

That's because you know EXACTLY what you are talking about.  

I am not sure why there is such a hurry to cut players on their rookie deals. Players on rookie deals are very cost effective.

Milliner and McDougle both deserve to be on this team till unless they absolutely stink up the joint.

But Milliner has shown a lot of promise in his rookie campaign and people forget before McDougle was injured he had just started practicing with the 1's in training camp.

So both of them should not be going anywhere atleast till the end of Season 4 of their contracts.

Not even close.

Ever think of taking more than less than a season to draw conclusions as to what a player is or isnt?

Milliner was a top ten talent, predicted to go top ten.  So wasnt an incredibly bad pick.  Giving up on him would be incredibly short sighted.

I like McDougle but he played a small piece of one preseason game, showed some promise.  Played a second and was toasted.  Over and over.

Milliner played well in some actual NFL games.  Not a handful of series late in one early preseason game

Perhaps.  He's shown more flashes than Gholston has, but if you can't stay on the field, it doesn't matter how talented you are.  Cro and Revis aren't going to be here long, so Milliner and McDougle will both have their chances to prove their worth.  And they're certainly playing for one of the best possible coaches for their purposes.

THAT is the Pennington overture........

Not even close.

Ever think of taking more than less than a season to draw conclusions as to what a player is or isnt?

Sometimes, yes. I've seen enough. Milliner sucks. Throw in the injury and he still sucks. Im not really going out on a limb here. You've seen it...what have you seen that makes him a capable starter? Nada. Zilch. He's still around cuz he's cheap.

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts mcdougle will be better...much better.

Sometimes, yes. I've seen enough. Milliner sucks. Throw in the injury and he still sucks. Im not really going out on a limb here. You've seen it...what have you seen that makes him a capable starter? Nada. Zilch. He's still around cuz he's cheap.

You're not going out on a limb? Thinking you know what a player is off of less than one season? Then going completely over the top and saying he sucks when he doesn't? It's not a sometimes, it's a never.

And you think he's here because he's cheap? Lol

Guess everyone telling you're that you're overreacting didn't clue you in

You're not going out on a limb? Thinking you know what a player is off of less than one season? Then going completely over the top and saying he sucks when he doesn't? It's not a sometimes, it's a never.

And you think he's here because he's cheap? Lol

Guess everyone telling you're that you're overreacting didn't clue you in

I know what I saw when healthy...he sucks. Mcdougle will end up the better DB.

we can all thank our lucky stars that you are not a jets talent scout. you couldnt be more wrong about milliner if you tried again. milliner is a physical freak at the corner position. like most rookie corners, he struggled early on. he started to adjust to the speed of the game as the last quarter of the season ended. the only thing holding milliner back from being a really good man corner, is his inability to stay healthy. and lol at you willing to bet that mcdougle will be much better than milliner over 1 quarter of a pre season game, in which he had a decent play or 2. I would stick to your day job if I was you. evaluating corner talent doesn't seem to be your cup of tea.

Archived