Dee Milliner & Dexter McDougle ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Define the point of "perennially". Or made of glass.

He's had one injury in the NFL. The same one that Revis had, should he be tossed aside too?

broken collar bone in senior year, broken knuckles in Junior year. He has been injury prone in both college and, as we all know, missed rookie season due to an injury that directly affected his speed.

I again, I hope he bounces back, but I'm not holding my breath

broken collar bone in senior year, broken knuckles in Junior year. He has been injury prone in both college and, as we all know, missed rookie season due to an injury that directly affected his speed.

I again, I hope he bounces back, but I'm not holding my breath

Thought he only missed games due to the collar?  

I always think of broken bones as bad luck and really shouldn't have a bearing on his durability.  Its not like his knuckles break easier than any other humans.  

How anybody considers D-Rob a bust is beyond me.

He played solidly at times, but had 16 sacks over an 8 year career. Do you really think he was worth a #4 overall pick?

I hope Williams is better. It's why think they should keep Mo and evaluate whether Williams could actually be his replacement after this season

Thought he only missed games due to the collar?

I always think of broken bones as bad luck and really shouldn't have a bearing on his durability. Its not like his knuckles break easier than any other humans.

Again, I really hope Dex becomes a great comeback story. I'm just saying that he is fighting an uphill battle right now.

He played solidly at times, but had 16 sacks over an 8 year career. Do you really think he was worth a #4 overall pick?

I hope Williams is better. It's why think they should keep Mo and evaluate whether Williams could actually be his replacement after this season

He definitely wasn't worth the 4th pick but a bust to me is somebody who was drafted high and either didn't perform at all or just flat out sucked/didn't develop into a starter. Gholston would be a prime example. D-Rob started from day 1 for 5 straight years and at least 2 years he was REALLY good, one under Herm and one under Mangini in the 3-4 even though he was very undersized and had knee issues he still put the team first and battled through. It wasn't a great or a good pick even but far from a bust.

As for Williams, this is interesting. Will people consider him a bust if he plays for 4-5 years, starts every game, plays at the same level D-Rob did and then leaves via FA? Let's say he doesn't make the Pro Bowl. Mo is in his 5th year now, he has never made the Pro Bowl, it's just a popularity contest. I think we can still agree that he's an elite lineman. D-Rob will always be viewed differently, he was supposed to save this franchise/defense, it was a ridiculous hype. And he didn't help when he kept saying that nobody could block him. When he's got like chronic knee issues, playing in a defense that wasn't exactly elite. And the fact that we traded up even to get him. From start to finish this had mess written all over it, he could have never lived up to the hype unless he became a Suh type player who produces 10-15 sacks each year.

New York Jets CB Dee Milliner has to compete for roster spot 'like everyone else'

3h

Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer

Dee Milliner, the forgotten man.

It's a shame he has to be labeled this way, but we all know the NFL is a "What-have-you-done-lately?" business. The New York Jets' former first-round pick suffered a devastating Achilles tendon injury last season and watched in the offseason as the team signed not one, not two, but three cornerbacks -- Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine.

Milliner, who went into last season calling himself the best cornerback in the league, now faces a training-camp battle to keep his roster spot.

"When you look at Dee coming in, you see a guy still kind of working off of an injury, trying to get himself to 100 percent," defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers said last week. "But as we looked at him, we expect Dee to compete for a position on the roster like everyone else. This was a top-10 pick, and we think he has a lot of ability and we expect him to compete."

Milliner went from the Jets' No. 1 cornerback to "we expect Dee to compete for a position on the roster." It's quite a drop, but things move fast in the NFL. The Jets had no choice to move on without Milliner, who is recovering from his surgery. He was very limited in last week's organized team activities (OTAs), and it looks he won't be a full go until training camp, if then. He's seven months removed from surgery. An Achilles' tendon injury is about as bad as it gets for a cornerback, who is required to backpedal and change directions perhaps more than any other position.

Despite the injury, it's hard to imagine Milliner not making the team. He has two years remaining on his contract, a fully guaranteed $3.7 million, and teams aren't in the habit of firing players they have to pay. Forgetting about the financials for a moment, it would make little sense to cut him, because he was the ninth pick in the 2013 draft, so you know there's talent there.

The question is, where does he fit in? Aside from Milliner, they have five cornerbacks with starting experience, with Darrin Walls and Marcus Williams backing up the Big Three. And don't forget about former third-round pick Dexter McDougle, who has returned from knee surgery.

"It’s going to be some tough decisions," Rodgers said. "It’s a lot of good football players on the back end."

One scenario that looms as a possibility is putting Milliner on the physically-unable-to-perform list to start the season. By rule, he would have to sit for the first six weeks of the season, but he'd be eligible to start practicing after Week 6. That would buy him more time and it would save a roster spot. The Jets are in a good position because, with their high-priced reinforcements, they don't have to rush him back.

Again, I really hope Dex becomes a great comeback story. I'm just saying that he is fighting an uphill battle right now.

I don't see it that way. Dex is one of the most talented cornerbacks on this roster. If he is healthy, he is making this team; period.   All he needs is reps and am sure he will flash enough to cement a spot on this team.  

Dee Milliner, the forgotten man.

It's a shame he has to be labeled this way, but we all know the NFL is a "What-have-you-done-lately ?" business. The New York Jets' former first-round pick suffered a devastating Achilles tendon injury last season and watched in the offseason as the team signed not one, not two, but three cornerbacks -- Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine.Milliner, who went into last season calling himself the best cornerback in the league, now faces a training-camp battle to keep his roster spot.Former first-round pick Dee Milliner, who suffered an Achilles tendon injury in October, has two years remaining on his contract. "When you look at Dee coming in, you see a guy still kind of working off of an injury, trying to get himself to 100 percent," defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers said last week. "But as we looked at him, we expect Dee to compete for a position on the roster like everyone else. This was a top-10 pick, and we think he has a lot of ability and we expect him to compete."

Milliner went from the Jets' No. 1 cornerback to "we expect Dee to compete for a position on the roster." It's quite a drop, but things move fast in the NFL. The Jets had no choice to move on without Milliner, who is recovering from his surgery. He was very limited in last week's organized team activities (OTAs), and it looks he won't be a full go until training camp, if then. He's seven months removed from surgery. An Achilles' tendon injury is about as bad as it gets for a cornerback, who is required to backpedal and change directions perhaps more than any other position.Despite the injury, it's hard to imagine Milliner not making the team. He has two years remaining on his contract, a fully guaranteed $3.7 million, and teams aren't in the habit of firing players they have to pay. Forgetting about the financials for a moment, it would make little sense to cut him, because he was the ninth pick in the 2013 draft, so you know there's talent there.

The question is, where does he fit in? Aside from Milliner, they have five cornerbacks with starting experience, with Darrin Walls and Marcus Williams backing up the Big Three. And don't forget about former third-round pick Dexter McDougle, who has returned from knee surgery."It’s going to be some tough decisions," Rodgers said. "It’s a lot of good football players on the back end."One scenario that looms as a possibility is putting Milliner on the physically-unable-to-perform list to start the season. By rule,he would have to sit for the first six weeks of the season,but he'd be eligible to start practicing after Week 6. That would buy him more time and it would save a roster spot. The Jets are in a good position because, with their high-priced reinforcements, they don't have to rush him back.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/51502/new-york-jets-cb-dee-milliner-has-to-compete-for-roster-spot-like-everyone-else

I don't see it that way. Dex is one of the most talented cornerbacks on this roster. If he is healthy, he is making this team; period.   All he needs is reps and am sure he will flash enough to cement a spot on this team.

I hope you're right. Would love to see him comeback and have an impact

The time an NFL player has to establish himself in the league seems to be getting shorter and shorter.Take Dee Milliner. He has gone from a top-10 pick by the New York Jets to an unquestioned starter at cornerback to on the roster bubble in two calendar years.

"When you look at Dee coming in, you see a guy still kind of working off of an injury, trying to get himself to 100 percent," Jets defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers
said to ESPN New York's Rich Cimini.
"But as we looked at him, we expect Dee to compete for a position on the roster like everyone else. This was a top-10 pick, and we think he has a lot of ability and we expect him to compete."

It's not good when a defensive coordinator has to pump up optimism about a player competing for a spot on the 53-man roster. These seemingly aren't empty words, either. The Jets signed Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine to huge deals this offseason. Right now it seems that Milliner's best-case scenario is battling to be the No. 4 cornerback on the team. He was the ninth overall pick of the 2013 draft out of Alabama. But the coaching staff and front office that took him that high have been replaced.

What happened ?

This one is easy to track. Milliner tore his Achilles tendon last October. Cimini writes that Milliner was "very limited"at OTAs last week.While players seem to come back as good as new from ACL surgeries now, the same isn't true for Achilles injuries. They can sap a player's movement. It's hard for the Jets to know if he'll be anything close to what they thought they were getting two years ago.

The fact that Milliner hasn't been great when healthy doesn't help.It's the rare instance where Milliner's contract might be his saving grace, however. Cimini points out he has $3.7 million guaranteed coming to him over the next two seasons. it wouldn't make a ton of sense to dump Milliner now, even if there's no obvious spot for him on the defense or if he's slow to rebound from the injury.

But it's a reminder to all NFL players that nothing is guaranteed. Nobody would have thought two years ago, or even a year ago when Milliner said he thought he was the best cornerback in the NFL, that in 2015 he would be battling for a roster spot to likely be the team's fourth cornerback, and maybe his best shot of making it would be that monetarily the Jets were already invested anyway. It's a good lesson to this year's draft class: Establish yourself early, because patience might be very thin.

> http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/new-york-jets-top-10-pick-from-just-two-years-ago-now-on-roster-bubble-171428353.html;_ylt=AwrC1C1f7mVVHUsAvm5NbK5_;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--

I'm with you. Never understood why Robertson isn't considered the premier bust in franchise history. We traded up to nab the first defensive player in the draft and then ... nothing. NFL-grade bust, he was.

Before we get too caught up in agonizing over busts, just think about Sheldon Richardson and smile - he's as big a pick as these guys were busts.  

Robertson at least played for a few seasons and did have some decent games.  Gholston sucked against 3rd stringers and could barely get on the field.   The fact that we did trade up for Robertson may push it in his favor but at least he could play a little bit.  Gholston was pure garbage. 

Robertson at least played for a few seasons and did have some decent games. Gholston sucked against 3rd stringers and could barely get on the field. The fact that we did trade up for Robertson may push it in his favor but at least he could play a little bit. Gholston was pure garbage.

I'd rather trade up to 4 and get some production than draft a totally useless player who gave absolutely nothing at 6

^^Guy is best poster ever. 

Depends on how many corners we keep, but I agree, he could become a starter, he just has to stay healthy. If week 1 started today I think he'd be our #7 corner right now. If he makes the team it's gonna be based purely on upside & potential, and somebody who right now might be a better / more reliable player gets cut. Would be nice if we could stash him on the practice squad and develop him there but I doubt he'll go unclaimed. Rex would definitely snatch him up. Maybe we can trade Walls to the Bills for a late pick or something. Best thing would be to keep 7 corners and maybe just carry 3 RB's or no fullback, 4 safeties only, something like that.

— Want to write off cornerback Dee Milliner after two injury-plagued seasons with the Jets? Antonio Cromartie would like to remind you of his own beginnings as an NFL corner."I was the 18th pick in the first round, and I felt like I had a lot pushing me to come in and be a starter," Cromartie said, referring to his entry into the NFL with the Chargers back in 2006. "But [then-Chargers head coach] Marty Schottenheimer was, like, 'Cro, we're not looking for you to start. I just want you to come in, learn the defense, get comfortable, and go out and play football.' "

It proved to be a valuable apprenticeship, one that acclimated Cromartie to the demands of being an NFL player, both on and off the field. It's also the sort of learning experience that Milliner, taken No. 9 overall two years ago, just after Darrelle Revis was traded away, never got.But the Jets now have Revis back. They brought back Cromartie, who teamed with Milliner in 2013 before spending last season with the Cardinals, to man the other corner spot. And Buster Skrine is holding things down at nickel corner. Which means Milliner, who hasn't yet done full-team drills at organized team activities as he recovers from a torn Achilles, doesn't have to be the guy.

Which, Cromartie told NJ Advance Media on Tuesday at a broadcast boot camp at NFL Films, is the perfect spot for him.Cromartie didn't start any games as a rookie. And in his second year, he only made eight starts. He needed that time, he said, to learn and to grow. Now, that time is for Milliner."I think, right now, this gives Dee that opportunity—to come in and just get comfortable, get all the way healthy, and just go play football to the best of his ability, without thinking," Cromartie said.

Unlike Cromartie, Milliner started 12 games as a rookie; he took his lumps and wound up getting benched three times. Last season, Milliner battled injuries in training camp and played in just three games before an Achilles tear ended his season."It's not a point of saying, 'He's a first-round bust,' because I don't believe that," Cromartie said. "He shows a lot of potential in what he can do, when he's healthy."

Head coach Todd Bowles, who remains high on Milliner, has stressed that Milliner has to get healthy. Milliner's roster spot is by no means guaranteed. But if he can get healthy, he has a chance to prove he belongs, without the added pressure of doing everything all at once."Dee can play," Cromartie said. "That's something that he has to figure out himself, and come in into the system, and say, 'I'm ready to go, I'm healthy, I'm going to be ready to go when training camp gets here, and I need to show everyone that I can come in and play with the best of them.' "

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/06/antonio_cromartie_on_dee_milliner_as_jets_draft_bu.html

The New York Jets put in a lot of work after hiring Todd Bowls and restricted the teams roster into one of the more talented in the NFL next season.A question to next season is the status of former Albama All-American Dee Milliner, who now has to compete for a position on the roster.Milliner was drafted to help the team out when Cromartie and Revis left the team, now that they are back he has his work but out for him. However, the veteran Cromartie had some great things to say about his fellow player.

“I think, right now, this gives Dee that opportunity to come in and just get comfortable, get all the way healthy and just go play football to the best of his ability without thinking,”

“It’s not a point of saying, ‘He’s a first-round bust,’ because I don’t believe that,”
Cromartie said
. “He shows a lot of potential in what he can do when he’s healthy.”

rest of above article :

> http://nyc.suntimes.com/new-york-jets/7/86/213899/jets-updates-dee-milliner-mo-wilkerson-ticket-prices

-- Antonio Cromartie was joking ... we think.

Fellow New York Jets cornerback Dee Milliner was standing at his locker Tuesday afternoon, about to speak with the media for the first time this offseason, when Cromartie grabbed one of the reporters' microphones to ask Milliner a question or two.New York Jets cornerback Dee Milliner will have to compete for playing time in a suddenly crowded Jets defensive backfield. "There’s a lot of talk concerning that you’re on the roster bubble," Cromartie said, before asking Milliner a question about his confidence.Milliner was a good sport and played along, leading to laughter all around. But the truth is, Milliner's roster spot may not be set in stone.

The Jets are unlikely to cut him, given he was the No. 9 overall pick in the 2013 draft and still has two years and $3.7 million guaranteed on his contract. But Milliner had a disappointing rookie season in 2013 and played in just three games last season due to injury.New Jets GM Mike Maccagnan signed former All-Pros Darrelle Revis and Cromartie in the offseason and added Buster Skrine to the mix as well. Milliner has plummeted down the depth chart but said he isn't upset the Jets restocked at his position."It’s the NFL, it’s a business," Milliner said. "They went out and got some great quality guys."I’m good with it. They’re on the same team I’m on, so all of us will be out there together and make things happen."

Milliner may not be nearly as important to the Jets in 2015, but he is making progress, health-wise, in his recovery from a torn Achilles tendon, which ended his 2014 season prematurely. He didn't participate in full team drills Tuesday but said he feels great and should be 100 percent by the start of training camp in late July.And he said he's not worried about his role on the team."You just gotta compete," Milliner said. "Go out there and do your job, be responsible, be accountable for what you can control, what you can do."And Milliner better be ready to compete. Because the Jets suddenly look loaded at cornerback, and not just because of Revis and Cromartie. Second-year man Dexter McDougle made a nice interception during Tuesday's practice.

Milliner, the former top-10 pick, can take nothing for granted any more.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/51768/dee-milliner-feels-good-but-does-he-have-a-job

Athletes grabbing the microphone and interviewing their teammates is a time-honored way for everyone in the room to laugh uncomfortably and stand around until there is something else to do.But on Tuesday, Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie made it a little more interesting.Cromartie was interviewing former first-round pick Dee Milliner and started with an innocuous softball about Milliner's health.

But then he went straight for the jugular, not unlike Around The NFL favorite Bob Costas."Do you feel confident going into the season? There's a lot of talk saying you're on the roster bubble, (that) you're here to make the team," Cromartie said. "Do you feel and have the confidence that you and in your ability that you can do the things you're supposed to do?"

According to at least one account, Milliner stopped smiling after that one, but ended up being a good sport about it."Oh most definitely," he said. "When I come out there I do what I'm supposed to do. Do my work, get better each day. Compete like I'm supposed to, like nothing ever happened. Just be out there."This moment, in addition to his Richard Sherman comments, serves as an unofficial announcement that Cromartie has returned to a large media market.In addition to some solid play at corner, teams also get a delightfully loose cannon. We can only hope that somehow Rex Ryan returns to encourage Cromartie to speak his mind more often.

As for Milliner, kudos to him for playing along. This hasn't been an easy run in the NFL for the former Alabama star. His play -- and injury situation -- was uneven enough to force the Jets to spend wildly on the cornerback market. At the moment, he's probably sitting fourth on the depth chart.

> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000496352/article/cromartie-grills-milliner-about-being-on-roster-bubble

Archived