Turn On the Jets Early Roster Projections...

JetBlue

In this week’s Turn On The Jets 12 Pack, we break out an entirely too early 53 man roster projection. Tell us where we went wrong down in the comment section and make sure tocheck out last week’s Podcast and this week’s Jets UK Chronicles. Let’s get into it…

1. Quarterback (3) – Geno Smith, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bryce PettySmith is the most talented quarterback on the roster and favorite to start week 1, despite being despised by large swaths of the fan-base. The new regime traded a 7th round pick (smartly) for Ryan Fitzpatrick and used a fourth round pick for Bryce Petty, so neither are going anywhere. Bad news for Matt Simms and Jake Heaps. We will always have this though…

matt-simms-salsa-dance.gif

2. Running Back (4) – Chris Ivory, Bilal Powell, Stevan Ridley, Zac StacyThe Jets will avoid carrying a fullback, instead delegating the needed blocking to tight ends. Powell will function as the third down back, while Ivory and Ridley will battle for early down snaps with Stacy providing depth for two players with an extensive injury history. If the Jets do keep a fullback, JC Copeland has a better chance of sticking than Tommy Bohanon.

Chris-Ivory-touchdown-run-against-Oaklan

3. Wide Receiver (6) – Brandon MarshallEric Decker, Jeremy Kerley, Devin SmithQuincy Enunwa, Chris Owusu:The first four are locks. Enunwa has too much physical talent to discard and has impressed around the building so far as a sophomore. Owusu flashed in week 17 last year and may be able to stick as a kick returner, special team gunner and situational deep threat.

DeckerTD.gif

4. Tight End (3) – Jace Amaro, Kellen Davis, Zach Sudfeld:Amaro played a comically low number of reps last season while Jeff Cumberland was miscast as a every down blocking tight end. Davis is a much better blocker than Amaro, Cumberland or Sudfeld and can stick because of that skill set. Amaro will fit nicely in Chan Gailey’s offense as a movable chess piece at H-Back, while Sudfeld offers equal upside to Cumberland long term at less of a cost. It also wouldn’t be surprising to see UDFA Wes Saxton stick on the practice squad.

GENO.gif

5. Offensive Line (9) – D’Brickashaw Ferguson, James Carpenter, Nick Mangold, Oday Aboushi, Breno Giacomini, Dakota Dozier, Jarvis Harrison, James Brewer, Brian Winters: Aboushi will win a crowded battle for the other guard spot opposite James Carpenter, making Willie Colon expendable as Dozier and rookie Harrison fill as the top backups. Brewer is a versatile backup with tackle experience. Winters has been working behind Nick Mangold at center and will find a way to stick. Do not be surprised if the Jets add another veteran tackle this summer.

ri5pb20eq8hkhasxtz3n.gif?w=1000

6. Defensive Line (7) – Muhammad Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, Damon Harrison, Leonard Williams, Kevin Vickerson, Leger Douzable, TJ Barnes: The Jets most talented and deepest position. Williams will be a versatile backup to both Wilkerson and Richardson and see time in four man fronts, while Douzable and Vickerson provide further depth and flexibility. Barnes will beat out this year’s seventh round pick Deon Simon as Harrison’s backup and heir apparent. Simon could be stashed on the practice squad.

wilkersonnose.gif

7. Linebacker (8) – David Harris, Demario Davis, Calvin Pace, Quinton Coples, Lorenzo Mauldin, Joe Mays, Jamari Lattimore, IK Enemkpali: There are going to be a few veterans cut here. I’ll go with Lattimore sticking because of his special teams ability. Enemkpali has more long term upside than Jason Babin and offers special teams value. Mays will beat out Erin Henderson for a depth inside linebacker spot. Trevor Reilly will also be an odd man out here.

DavisSack1stQt_zps67367722.gif

8. Cornerback (6) – Darrelle Revis (!), Antonio Cromartie, Buster Skrine, Dee Milliner, Dexter McDougle, Marcus Williams: It is nice to type Darrelle Revis again here, no? Milliner is going to start a game or two at some point this year on the outside for Cromartie (I worry about that hip). McDougle and Williams provide nice depth and be learning from the best. This will be a fun group to watch.

dolphins-somersault.gif

9. Safety (4) – Calvin Pryor, Marcus Gilchrist, Antonio Allen, Jaiquawn Jarrett: A group with plenty to prove. I expect rioting for leaving Rontez Miles off here. It isn’t out of the question that he could stick, particularly because of special teams but as of now, he is off.

antonio.gif

10. Specials (3) – Nick Folk, Tanner Purdum, Ryan Quigley –Expect veteran competition to be brought in for Quigley. For now, enjoy this Purdum GIF. With snaps like this, who needs to waste a 5th rounder on a guy who may never be able to snap in the NFL (take THAT, Patriots).

PDCj7oU.gif

11. Notable Cuts: Jason Babin, Trevor Reilly, Darrin Walls, Rontez Miles, Shaq Evans, Saalim Hakim, TJ Graham, Tommy Bohanon, Ben Ijalana, Walter Powell, Matt Simms, Deon Simon, Willie Colon, Dalton Freeman, Wesley Johnson, Daryl Richardson, Jeff Cumberland

12. Practice Squad Candidates: Taiwan Jones, Jake Heaps, Deon Simon, Shaq Evans, Wes Saxton, Daryl Eskridge, Davon Walls

With the injury history of McDougle and Milliner, there is no way the guy who loves defensive backs is going to carry only 6. Especially since the former hasn't played a snap in the NFL and the latter hasn't looked great in those he's been available for.

With the injury history of McDougle and Milliner, there is no way the guy who loves defensive backs is going to carry only 6. Especially since the former hasn't played a snap in the NFL and the latter hasn't looked great in those he's been available for.

62313875.jpg

Stop trying to make Darrin Walls happen.  It's not going to happen.

Do you disagree with my point or are you just trolling? Aside from Skrine, the other top four slotted Jets CBs all of injury histories, some very significant ones. As we learned last year, the Jets need depth there for sure so they aren't forced to play guys out of position. I don't understand why you'd cut a cheap player who is effective when deployed properly.

They'd be carrying 10. Milliner and McDougle are fine for your 4th and 5th corners. I'd say they're the best 4,5 CBs in the league

Do you disagree with my point or are you just trolling? Aside from Skrine, the other top four slotted Jets CBs all of injury histories, some very significant ones. As we learned last year, the Jets need depth there for sure so they aren't forced to play guys out of position. I don't understand why you'd cut a cheap player who is effective when deployed properly.

Unless Milliner and McDougle are still not recovered from their injuries headed into the final cutdowns, there is zero reason we carry 7 corners.  That's ludicrous. 

6 corners and 4 safeties is plenty.  If Milliner or McDougle get hurt during the season, we pick up someone off the scrap heap.  Like, say, Darrin Walls.

They'd be carrying 10. Milliner and McDougle are fine for your 4th and 5th corners. I'd say they're the best 4,5 CBs in the league

Based on what? McDougle hasn't played a snap and Milliner was not good in his appearances, when he made them.

Unless Milliner and McDougle are still not recovered from their injuries headed into the final cutdowns, there is zero reason we carry 7 corners.  That's ludicrous. 

6 corners and 4 safeties is plenty.  If Milliner or McDougle get hurt during the season, we pick up someone off the scrap heap.  Like, say, Darrin Walls.

I don't think you can count on M&M at all for the first part of the season. Thinking they'll be playing effectively after their injuries is wishful thinking.

If they get rid of Darrin Walls, he latches on another team immediately and either starts or is their 3rd corner.

Based on what? McDougle hasn't played a snap and Milliner was not good in his appearances, when he made them.

I don't think you can count on M&M at all for the first part of the season. Thinking they'll be playing effectively after their injuries is wishful thinking.

If they get rid of Darrin Walls, he latches on another team immediately and either starts or is their 3rd corner.

Bringing in Revis, Cromartie and Skrine are enough to offset the injury worries on Milliner and McDougle.  Marcus Williams as the 6th corner makes sense.  Walls as a 7th corner?  Nope, that's way too many roster spots for corners.  He's either competing for that 6th spot or gets cut.  

And no, he will most certainly not start for another team.  Come on man.  He was only a starter of sorts last year because of injuries, and was part of one of the worst secondaries in the NFL last year.  Your homerism knows no bounds. 

Bringing in Revis, Cromartie and Skrine are enough to offset the injury worries on Milliner and McDougle. Marcus Williams as the 6th corner makes sense. Walls as a 7th corner? Nope, that's way too many roster spots for corners. He's either competing for that 6th spot or gets cut.

And no, he will most certainly not start for another team. Come on man. He was only a starter of sorts last year because of injuries, and was part of one of the worst secondaries in the NFL last year. Your homerism knows no bounds.

We'll have to wait and see. It would be a mistake to get rid of players who are cheap and can play. Some other team would definitely take him and slide him into the nickel for the next 5 years.

The depth is night and day from the last...pretty much DECADE.

Front office did a great flip.

Hard to believe that last season's best CB's will be at the bottom of the depth chart this season if not off the roster entirely in the case of Walls.

Hard to believe that last season's best CB's will be at the bottom of the depth chart this season if not off the roster entirely in the case of Walls.

Our front office is finally competent...it feels really assuring.

This years roster with last years qb play gets us 6 wins.

Improved qb play and maybe some good coaching can put us at 7-9, maybe even 10. Hopefully, the players can work out the new O and D hiccups early.

Our front office is finally competent...it feels really assuring.

This years roster with last years qb play gets us 6 wins.

Improved qb play and maybe some good coaching can put us at 7-9, maybe even 10. Hopefully, the players can work out the new O and D hiccups early.

I wouldn't say Tanny was incompetent....he just whiffed at the QB position which is vital.  Outside of Sanchez, he put together a championship-level defense...I don't think an incompetent GM could do that.  John Idzik was an incompetent GM though...so good riddance.

This might be true for a team desperate for corners, like the Jets last year...but that's not a reason to keep him.

Because he's crappy.  That a good enough reason?

I wouldn't say Tanny was incompetent....he just whiffed at the QB position which is vital. Outside of Sanchez, he put together a championship-level defense...I don't think an incompetent GM could do that. John Idzik was an incompetent GM though...so good riddance.

While Tanny was aggressive, had the best intentions and made some great moves...he also gave out a couple contracts that directly led to our downfall...not to mention he had tendency to ignore certain things like "depth"

But yes, we owe him some respect for making us competitive. JMO

While Tanny was aggressive, had the best intentions and made some great moves...he also gave out a couple contracts that directly led to our downfall...not to mention he had tendency to ignore certain things like "depth"

But yes, we owe him some respect for making us competitive. JMO

Exactly...he was far from perfect, but he did some very good things and oversaw two of the most successful Jets teams in my lifetime...I appreciate that.

Archived