Building for the Future: PUP and Injection of Youth

varjet

Maccagnan has certainly invested alot of time, energy, money and thought into making the Jets a competitive team in 2015.  I think we all share the desire to one day win a Super Bowl.  In that regard I support to taking the following to strategies when filling the 2015 Roster.

1)  When in Doubt, PUP.  The roster today is pretty deep.  There are several otherwise players recovering from serious injuries.   If there is any doubt a player is recovered, I recommend putting them on the PUP list.  They can continue to train to be fully healthy in 2016.  This would include otherwise injury-prone players like Miliner and MacDougle, and Winters.  

2)  When in doubt, go with potential future contributor rather than aging veteran.  It would appear that players such as Colon, Babin and Pace are finishing their careers.  Rather than keep them and cut or keep on the bench players that could develop into something more, I would view their roster positions very skeptically.  Colon could take Winters' spot if he has not healed, for example, but otherwise I would only keep the older, declining veteran unless they are truly holding the fort.  The Jets are not going to win a Super Bowl with Colon, Babin or Pace on the roster.

Many are predicting that Colon is the starting right guard in September.  That is a depressing thought.

Archived