Kraft will not appeal NFL punishment

Jetfan13

5/18/2015 7:24:13 PM

The NFL and the New England Patriots are engaged in "back-channel conversations" to see if the two sides can resolve their differences without an appeal or possible litigation following the league's Deflategate punishment, sources told Adam Schefter of ESPN.

The Patriots are weighing their next move in terms of reacting to the discipline meted out by the NFL and have until before Friday to file an appeal of their penalties, which consist of the loss of two draft picks -- including a first-rounder -- and a $1 million fine.

The team's penalties were for, among other issues, what the NFL said was a lack of cooperation with the investigation.

Kraft, when asked by Peter King of MMQB whether he would violate NFL bylaws by going to court to try to get the league penalties overturned, declined to comment, saying, "I'm not going to comment on that at this point in time. I'm going to leave it. I won't say."

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was suspended for four games for his likely knowledge of the use of underinflated footballs in the AFC title game against the Indianapolis Colts. Brady has officially appealed his suspension to the league.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NFL will have 31 pissed off owners if the Pats and Goodell negotiate the punishment and it gets reduced. I doubt anything changes, if Kraft doesn't like it he'll have to appeal or sue them, whatever his options are.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I have said it before, I don't care what happens as long as Brady is suspended for at least one quarter of a game. A suspension means he has that * next to his name.  That is all I want.

Oh and take their 1st rounder as well.

I have said it before, I don't care what happens as long as Brady is suspended for at least one quarter of a game. A suspension means he has that * next to his name. That is all I want.

Oh and take their 1st rounder as well.

Yeah I agree the suspension was huge just from a image standpoint and puts an * on his career, regardless of how big or small anyone wants to argue, he has been suspended now for breaking the rules and hurting the "integrity of the game".

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

So let me get this straight - there is a formal appeals process BUT this gets changed to a backroom, private meeting, solely between the Commissioner and an owner (who the Commissioner works for) and they conclude the meeting by hugging?

The FIX is in....I cannot wait to see the results....

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

Roger Goodell and Patriots owner Robert Kraft already have met, spoke and even hugged, per an industry source who witnessed it.

This is just ridiculous now.  Republicans and Dems always do this, what did ppl expect them to throw punches in public?  I hope this story comes to an end soon.  Its ruining the start of the NFL season for me at this point.

Realistically it was a diluted punishment. Brady should count himself lucky for getting just 4 games. And now they are going dilute even that.

Pats are lucky they were fined only a 1st rounder and a 4th rounder. And now they are going dilute even that.

Not to mention BB, WR's, TE'e and RB's all escape punishment.

Any dilution means this league is an effing JOKE!

Goodell is a chump if he doesn't make them come and get the punishment reversed through the legal process. Horrid precedent going forward if you cave into threats--the time to make a deal was before the punishment was announced. Even if it ends up being reversed, teams need to know that you will have to fight tooth and nail, and be in the muck for months/years if you want to challenge these things.

Goodell is a chump if he doesn't make them come and get the punishment reversed through the legal process. Horrid precedent going forward if you cave into threats--the time to make a deal was before the punishment was announced. Even if it ends up being reversed, teams need to know that you will have to fight tooth and nail, and be in the muck for months/years if you want to challenge these things.

Agreed.

If Goodell does allow the Commissioner Kraft to overturn the punishment, then Woody should demand his $100,000 back.  The Falcons and the Browns should demand their punishments overturned and fine money returned as well.

This is true if, and only if, this wasn't the plan from the beginning.  

Once Kraft went insane if felt kinda a like show - showing his relationship is ruined...letting the public see there's no favoritism...Then the punishment can be reversed.

I've said this before - this isn't about the penalties for the Pats, it's about ego and legacy.  The only way any reduction is accepted by Kraft is if the penalty is ONLY for obstruction and not cheating.  

That's what's going to happen.  Lower to two games for lack of cooperation - but they'll remove two games of the 4 for deflating and cite lack of proof.

They can claim Brady's not a cheater, yet he still gets suspended.  Pats lose a 2nd...

That's how this ends up and it's entirely BS...

Kraft: "I'm going to accept reluctantly what he has given to us and not continue this dialogue and rhetoric. We won't appeal."

I bet they have a handshake deal reduce douche boy suspension though.

Archived