Dark Horse for New York Jets Quarterback

JetBlue

Fellas the title is "Dark Horse" I mean the whole point is someone you don't expect right?  Petty is not part of the conversation because he is not part of the quarterback competition but will make the team regardless.   The only qb competition will be between Geno, Fitz and Simms and as most have already concluded it is really only a two horse race meaning Geno and Fitz.   I think the writer is simply saying that the this regime doesn't have ties to Geno and Fitz was acquired for a 7th rounder so it is not like they are locked into starting him or anything.   I don't think Simms will make the team, much less become the starting qb but stranger things have happened.  

The dark horse is Petty. Simms is the dead horse we can't stop beating around here. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we had Andrew Luck on the roster, we'd have people here telling us that the backup with one eye and a club foot might a better option.

I know what you're saying, but In the meantime we don't have anybody close to Andrew Luck, and Simms doesn't have a club foot, he has a rocket arm.

The dark horse is Petty. Simms is the dead horse we can't stop beating around here. 

Petty is not starting this year.  I don't see him being the dark horse at all; unless Geno and Fitz are hurt there is no way he is seeing the field.  NO WAY. 

He's not even in the same discussion with Petty.

He had his shot and sh*t the bed.  And i was rooting for him.  He just looked completely in over his head.  Embarrassingly bad

Petty is not ready and has no chance in hell at starting. The coaching staff is not rushing him. He will carry a clipboard next year so NO is not in the discussion of possible starter for this upcoming season.   

I would love to see Simms get a real shot, so I loved the article, but am aware that it isn't based in reality. But I'm happy that at least the new regime will be more objective.

That is really the point of the article.  We both know Simms would need a minor miracle to even make the team.   But at this point, what they have to lose?  Why not see what he can do and come to their own conclusions?  That seems to be what they are prepared to do.  

1a2d5cd7eee0dd738b5eaae7a7fce4d8.jpg

With five quarterbacks on their roster, the New York Jets must make some difficult decisions. Who is the dark horse candidate for Jets' QB? Dan Salem @thedansalem talks Jets' football. (Photo Credit: newyork.cbslocal.com)

With five quarterbacks on their roster, the New York Jets must make some difficult decisions. Most NFL teams enter training camp with three signal callers, while a select few carry four at the game's pinnacle position. This means there's an odd man out wearing the red jersey at Jets practice, but is there also a dark horse candidate for the starting QB job?

New York Jets quarterbacks, in order of NFL experience:

Ryan Fitzpatrick - 96 games, 79.5 passer rating

Geno Smith - 30 games, 71.5 passer rating

Matt Simms - 4 games, 61.4 passer rating

Jake Heaps - rookie - 2 years starting at BYU (2010-2011)

Bryce Petty - rookie - 2 years starting at Baylor (2013-2014)

I'd be shocked if the Jets carried two rookie quarterbacks into training camp. However, with only four games played in the NFL, Matt Simms is as close to a rookie as a third year player can get. But this conversation isn't about who gets cut, it's about who rises up to impress their new coaches and make a run at the starting job.

Matt Simms is the dark horse candidate for starting quarterback of the New York Jets. He entered the league in the same season as Geno Smith, arguably a leg or so behind Geno in the conversation for starter. Simms has the family pedigree, but none of the college stats that Geno or even Bryce Petty put up.

Outside of nineteen NFL completions, Matt Simms' resume looks much like that of Jake Heaps. That is to say, the numbers mean little to nothing. Simms' coaches know him best, but since they were all replaced in the offseason, it's a fresh start for Matt with the Jets.

In the limited action that Simms played, mostly in the preseason, I liked what I saw from the young quarterback. I liked it so much so that I was pulling for him to get the nod over Geno Smith, despite the sparks of greatness displayed by Geno late in the 2013 season. What intrigues me now is that the slate has been wiped clean for both players.

New coaches mean new opinions, new strategies, new playbooks, and a new evaluation of talent. The only player on the Jets with playing experience that overlaps with the coaching staff is Ryan Fitzpatrick. Geno Smith has a lot of game tape, but it's debatable how much that tape helps his case for starting quarterback. Simms has very little NFL tape, meaning it's all about practice.

Matt Simms will be fighting for a roster spot along with Heaps and Petty, but he's by far the front runner in that race and easily entrenched in the competition for starter. Coach Todd Bowles must evaluate all of his quarterbacks, regardless of past performance. This probably helps Geno Smith, but it certainly helps Matt Simms.

Maybe it's my New York memory, maybe I'm putting too much stock in a few pre-season performances, or maybe Matt Simms has yet to be given the opportunity he deserves to lead an NFL team.

If there was ever a dark horse worth rooting for, it's Matt Simms. He can take down the competition in Jets' camp and play his way into the quarterback conversation. The position hasn't been this big of a question mark for Gang Green in quite some time. If ever a surprise player was to seize the QB job from an incumbent who's been counted out, it's Simms with these New York Jets.

Let the actual competition for quarterback begin.

http://network.yardbarker.com/author/article_external/18816008?widget=true

They are not going to cut Petty nor would them put him on the practice squad. Simms is out of luck unless Fitzpatrick takes longer to recover than expected.

Petty is not ready and has no chance in hell at starting. The coaching staff is is not rushing him. He will carry a clipboard next year so NO is not in the discussion of possible starter for this upcoming season.

What's less than no chance in hell? Because that's what Simms is looking at.

What's less than no chance in hell? Because that's what Simms is looking at.

Slats, that is fine because Petty is not really in the competition. I don't know why you are not seeing this.  The CS is too smart to start him because it is apparent he is not ready for the NFL.  You can say Simms sucks or whatever, but he has shown a few flashes against NFL teams and there were, and maybe still are folks who felt, had he been given a legit opportunity by Rex, he might have beaten out Geno over the last year or two.  (I am not one of them but who's to say?)  

That is more of a chance then some extremely raw 4th round pick from a spread offense who is further behind then Geno Smith was coming out of WVU.  

Slats, that is fine because Petty is not really in the competition. I don't know why you are not seeing this.  The CS is too smart to start him because it is apparent he is not ready for the NFL.  You can say Simms sucks or whatever, but he has shown a few flashes against NFL teams and there were, and maybe still are folks who felt, had he been given a legit opportunity by Rex, he might have beaten out Geno over the last year or two.  (I am not one of them but who's to say?)  

That is more of a chance then some extremely raw 4th round pick from a spread offense who is further behind then Geno Smith was coming out of WVU.

The Matt Simms fantasy is fascinating to me.

The guys been cut, cleared waivers, and sat on the practice squad with no other team in the league interested in him. Simms fans somehow think this guy has the potential to be a starter when no other team in the league saw him as even a potential backup. Barring preseason injuries to Geno or Fitzpatrick, Simms is toast. They traded up to take Petty. They may see him as a project, but there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that he's making the roster.

This article says Simms has a leg up on Petty for a roster spot. No ******* way.

It says Simms is unquestionably in the mix for the starting job. No ******* way.

Petty is the dark horse. Why? Because he's definitely making the roster and the two guys ahead of him both have major question marks. Simms would need Fitz and Geno to both have season ending injuries in training camp, Petty has all season for them both to get knocked out to step in and start. I don't want that, and I'm not rooting for it. I want Petty to spend a year on the bench. But there's no doubt in my mind that it's far more likely that Petty starts for the Jets this year than Simms.

The Matt Simms fantasy is fascinating to me.

The guys been cut, cleared waivers, and sat on the practice squad with no other team in the league interested in him. Simms fans somehow think this guy has the potential to be a starter when no other team in the league saw him as even a potential backup. Barring preseason injuries to Geno or Fitzpatrick, Simms is toast. They traded up to take Petty. They may see him as a project, but there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that he's making the roster.

This article says Simms has a leg up on Petty for a roster spot. No ******* way.

It says Simms is unquestionably in the mix for the starting job. No ******* way.

Petty is the dark horse. Why? Because he's definitely making the roster and the two guys ahead of him both have major question marks. Simms would need Fitz and Geno to both have season ending injuries in training camp, Petty has all season for them both to get knocked out to step in and start. I don't want that, and I'm not rooting for it. I want Petty to spend a year on the bench. But there's no doubt in my mind that it's far more likely that Petty starts for the Jets this year than Simms.

Totally agree with this statement about Simms having a leg up on Petty for a roster spot; absolutely no way.   I don't know that Simms won't get a legit shot to show what he can do but do agree that I can't say he is "unquestioningly" in the mix for the starting spot but I don't know he can't force himself into the conversation by how he plays. 

We also both agree the only way Petty gets on the field is if Fitz and Geno both get hurt.  Let me ask you a question; if somehow Simms outplays Geno and/ or Fitz what do the Jets do at that point?   I have already mentioned I don't see it happening at all.   But if it were to happen, what would you do?  Lastly why do you feel there is a fascination with Simms? I simply posted an article about a player who has been on the team the last few years and I thought it was interesting for discussion.  It really is no big deal and I could less if he makes the team or not.   

Petty is not ready and has no chance in hell at starting. The coaching staff is not rushing him. He will carry a clipboard next year so NO is not in the discussion of possible starter for this upcoming season.

Who said he a any chance of starting?

You said that Petty would be fighting for a roster spot along Simms and Heaps.

That would be wrong.

Who said he a any chance of starting?

You said that Petty would be fighting for a roster spot along Simms and Heaps.

That would be wrong.

No I never said that.  The author of the article stated that; I agree with you that Petty will not be fighting for a roster spot.  He is pretty much assured a roster spot but will not be "really" competing for the starting spot and that was the point of the article in terms of a Dark Horse candidate for the starting job. 

No I never said that. The author of the article stated that; I agree with you that Petty will not be fighting for a roster spot. He is pretty much assured a roster spot but will not be "really" competing for the starting spot and that was the point of the article in terms of a Dark Horse candidate for the starting job.

Ok, you just changed this. I read your initial post And responded to the quote.. Sorry about the miscue.

Petty gets a pass for a few seasons, he's a long term investment at this point.

All reason says that Petty should hold a clipboard and learn for a year but what if the Jets catch lightning in a bottle, what if he outplays everyone else in camp, do we really have to watch league worst QB play for the 5th year in a row?

We have seen Smith, Simms and Fitz, yes it is possible one of them could improve or more likely achieve mediocrity, we know what they are within a standard deviation (for all you numbers people) :)

The Jets roster is solid and it will be time to sell the farm for a top QB in the 2016 draft

So, if no one steps up, why not go all in, give them all a chance

Ok, you just changed this. I read your initial post And responded to the quote.. Sorry about the miscue.

Petty gets a pass for a few seasons, he's a long term investment at this point.

Exactly. Yeah sorry, I had to correct it.   

Totally agree with this statement about Simms having a leg up on Petty for a roster spot; absolutely no way.   I don't know that Simms won't get a legit shot to show what he can do but do agree that I can't say he is "unquestioningly" in the mix for the starting spot but I don't know he can't force himself into the conversation by how he plays. 

We also both agree the only way Petty gets on the field is if Fitz and Geno both get hurt.  Let me ask you a question; if somehow Simms outplays Geno and/ or Fitz what do the Jets do at that point?   I have already mentioned I don't see it happening at all.   But if it were to happen, what would you do?  Lastly why do you feel there is a fascination with Simms? I simply posted an article about a player who has been on the team the last few years and I thought it was interesting for discussion.  It really is no big deal and I could less if he makes the team or not.

My point is: that's not happening. I don't see that as a hypothetical, I see it as an impossibility.

The reality is that Simms is the fourth -or maybe even the fifth- QB on the roster right now. He's just not going to get enough reps to outplay anyone. Geno is the incumbent starter, and he needs to learn a new offense. He's gonna get a lot of reps. Fitzpatrick is his only genuine competition, so he's next up with reps once he's healthy. Petty is their hope for the future, so he's going to be getting a lot of attention from the coaches. Is Simms even practice squad eligible anymore? If not, then they'll be looking at Heap to see if he's worthy of a taxi slot. Simms is barely in the mix.

The author of this article is one of those guys who thinks Simms never got a fair shot. Was probably a huge Brooks Bollinger fan back in the day, too. The reality is that Simms has been lucky the Jets gave him a job in football the last few years. He's sat on the practice squad, cleared waivers, no other team showed any interest in him. He's very close to being out of football now.

Well as some genius posted last year (me!) Simms could be the greatest practice player on Earth but tough guy Rex would never have given him a shot anyway. Can you imagine if Simms replaces Geno and blows the doors off? How do you explain that in your next job interview, "So, seriously, you had no idea that Simms was better than Geno?!" Now that Rex is safely ensconced in Buffalo, maybe he will get a shot. That said I'm not holding my breath but it would be funny.

See, that's the thing, when it comes to all these crappy practice-squad caliber QB's we've had over the years (Bollinger, Ratliff, McElroy, Simms, etc.) the excuse is always "they never got a shot".  Yes, they did.  They get their shot in practice, preseason, and even the occasional game.  If Rex really thought Simms would light the league on fire and save his job, no chance he leaves him on the bench.  When he's seen the field, he's 19-39 (48.7 comp %) for 195 yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT.  Yep, all we need to see there.  You don't just hand a 4th string QB a few starts to "see what he's got".  The current regime is putting zero stock in him for good reason.  And much like Ratliff and McElroy, he'll end up getting cut and bouncing around to maybe a couple teams as their 3rd/4th stringer before ending up out of the league. 

I also love how jetsons has gone through this thread neg-repping anyone who dare says anything bad about Simms.  His following may be even creepier than Tebow's.

The key point here that some people seem to be overlooking is that Petty cannot go to the practice squad because he would be signed by another team. (Simms likely would not be picked up if he was sent to the practice squad; I'm not sure if he is eligible for the practice squad, though.)  The Jets will not waste the fourth they just used on Petty so he is a lock to make the roster, whether there is any chance he will play or not.  Accordingly, Simms only makes the roster if someone gets hurt.  So how can Simms start at QB from the practice squad or the street? 

And I like Simms, but I'm not sure where the fascination comes from.  The guy has no body of work to look at -- not even in college.  (Petty, despite his flaws, had a very productive college career.)  What Simms has is a pedigree (which really doesn't count for anything), some tools and a strong high school career.  If we are going to start looking at high school performances the guy behind him, Jake Heaps, beats him hands down.  Simms really hasn't shown enough to have as much support as he seems to.

Archived