Woody Johnson: Jets, Wilkerson Looking for Deal That “Works for Both Sides”

JetNation

I'd just wait till next year with mo,everybody worried about what we would have to give Sheldon(much more then mo) after the season Sheldons three years in , you could negotiate an extension then. its like why pick between two hot girls if you could do them both at the same time

I'd say two firsts should be the starting point in negotiations just so teams realize we're not actively trying to move him and it will require a lot to get him as a result.  But in the end, at least one first would need to be in the deal, plus another pick.  The 1st and 3rd/4th we got for Revis seems like pretty fair compensation for Wilkerson.  I don't think any team out there offers up a 1st and 2nd, even if that 2nd is in 2017.

A 3-4 DE might not be as valuable as a top corner, but as has been said before, he can play nearly any position on the DL effectively.  That makes him one of the top 5 DL in the game as a result.  Basically any team in the NFL would gladly hand over their 2016 first round pick for his services.  How much more than the one 1st rounder is what would be in question.

Though I understand your point, we "should" be trying to actively move him. We shouldnt tip our hand, but I believe we will have to trade him if not this year than next. We could franchise him next year just to hold him in order to trade him, but it would be much easier this year given that we can trade him based on his current deal. Next year if we trade him that trade will be based on whatever current contract they are willing to offer at that time, atleast from my understanding. I think a 1st and 3rd is fair compensation for Wilk as well. I dont think anyone will give two 1st rounders. Wilk may want Watt money, but he doesnt produce like Watt. I agree with you on your position. You're also right about his versatility, though I believe that he is best fitted as a DE. He can play the NT position, but that would only be situational, and only if you have the gunz such as what the Jets have. If you're trading for Wilk, I believe it will be for based on his versatility, but primarily on his dominance as a run stuffing DE that could get you 10 sacks in a season. 

I feel torn a bit. I really like Wilk, but we need some offensive strength and our Oline wont hold forever at the LT\C\G positions. I would have liked if we were able to trade down with Cleveland and got Andrus Peat and DJ Humphries to solidify our Tackle spots next year while learning behind our current starters. Not saying that I dont like our draft, we really covered alot of bases and got quality guys. Im just a bit concerned that we may end up with nothing on the Wilk horizon or we may end up signing him long term at the effect of losing a guy like Richardson which would be a disaster. I just cant see how we keep all of these guys on the line. Richardson is a beast man. He needs to be a Jet for life. 

Quinn's deal:  http://overthecap.com/player/robert-quinn/1343

Watt's deal:  http://overthecap.com/player/jj-watt/1669/

Quinn's seemed to be front-loaded, which we probably wouldn't do.  He costs nearly $17M against the cap this year, then that figure drops to a little over $11M next year and never gets as high as $13M for the remaining years. 

I imagine we'd try to get him squeezed in at about an $11M cap figure for '15 (seeing as we have about $10.2M in cap space currently) and go up from there.  But I'm clearly not the best person to speculate on this.

IF they get something done, and I hope they do, they will probably front load him in the form a a bonus/guaranteed money paid over a 3 year period.  or something like that.

IMO it looks like that if Mo wants to get full market value, 40+- guaranteed, he'll have to go the FA route.  If he really wants to stay in NY, and it's possible being a local guy that is tight with his family, he'll have to give a "home town" discount.  Williams really hurts his bargaining position.  

Though I understand your point, we "should" be trying to actively move him. We shouldnt tip our hand, but I believe we will have to trade him if not this year than next. We could franchise him next year just to hold him in order to trade him, but it would be much easier this year given that we can trade him based on his current deal. Next year if we trade him that trade will be based on whatever current contract they are willing to offer at that time, atleast from my understanding. I think a 1st and 3rd is fair compensation for Wilk as well. I dont think anyone will give two 1st rounders. Wilk may want Watt money, but he doesnt produce like Watt. I agree with you on your position. You're also right about his versatility, though I believe that he is best fitted as a DE. He can play the NT position, but that would only be situational, and only if you have the gunz such as what the Jets have. If you're trading for Wilk, I believe it will be for based on his versatility, but primarily on his dominance as a run stuffing DE that could get you 10 sacks in a season. 

I feel torn a bit. I really like Wilk, but we need some offensive strength and our Oline wont hold forever at the LT\C\G positions. I would have liked if we were able to trade down with Cleveland and got Andrus Peat and DJ Humphries to solidify our Tackle spots next year while learning behind our current starters. Not saying that I dont like our draft, we really covered alot of bases and got quality guys. Im just a bit concerned that we may end up with nothing on the Wilk horizon or we may end up signing him long term at the effect of losing a guy like Richardson which would be a disaster. I just cant see how we keep all of these guys on the line. Richardson is a beast man. He needs to be a Jet for life. 

Agreed with a lot of your points, and the OL is a definite concern.  But seeing as we currently only have 2 elite players (Mo, Sheldon), and possibly a 3rd in Williams, we need to do whatever we can to keep Mo AND Sheldon until more elite players arrive to the roster.  Trading away Wilk now to possibly sacrifice what could be the best DL in the NFL just doesn't seem to me to be a viable option unless we're blown away with an offer.

Agreed with a lot of your points, and the OL is a definite concern.  But seeing as we currently only have 2 elite players (Mo, Sheldon), and possibly a 3rd in Williams, we need to do whatever we can to keep Mo AND Sheldon until more elite players arrive to the roster.  Trading away Wilk now to possibly sacrifice what could be the best DL in the NFL just doesn't seem to me to be a viable option unless we're blown away with an offer.

Well, hopefully with Bowles as the HC we'll be able to see Coples back at his natural spot on the line. My feeling is that Coples could be another above average guy for us. I know a few jet fans that are not as high as I am, but everytime I seen this guy lined up on the line with his hands in the dirt, he's been part of the play. Wilkerson being hurt last season only solidified my thoughts. Coples being played out of position hurt his ability, kinda like how Allen was hurt playing everything else than what he was best at. The upside with Wilk is that he's versatile, but so is Coples...just not as a linebacker. He could hold his own on any position on the oline. He's been doing it since college and showed that he can on the pro level. 

I think Coples will be the cure-all, though no one will know that more than Bowles. We'll have to see how this shakes out. Either way, our defense this year on paper looks a bit more than scary.

There's no combination on this planet that you could come up with that would make Mo the highest paid DE or defender in the league.

In your mind. Because you keep saying a guy who isn't the best can't be paid as the best.

Ignoring the point that at times the highest paid player isn't the best pLayer at a position.

In your mind. Because you keep saying a guy who isn't the best can't be paid as the best.

Ignoring the point that at times the highest paid player isn't the best pLayer at a position.

We're talking about Mo & Watt. Not sure why you go on and on about something that nobody said.

We're talking about Mo & Watt. Not sure why you go on and on about something that nobody said.

I see you're still miss a very simple point that has been proven over and over again and again.

It's more than who's the best that determines who's the highest paid at a position. Only you go on and on arguing something that has been proven many time to be true.

WTF are you talking about? All I said it's more than who's the best, it timing etc.

You jumped in and said it'll never happen. You keep saying it and then saying no one said it

Makes no sense to not extend him now while his stock is low coming of a 5.5 sack season. I could just image how high his demand would be going in as a free agency with a 2013 season of 10.5 sacks. At that point the figures may be out of hand. Yes we could franchise him but I'll rather bet on him now for less money.

His figure now is only $7 mil. Give him a $8 mil signing bonus so his 1st year salary can remain the same against the cap and he can bring home $15 mil in year one. While the other years can lay around $9 mil. I'm not going to get to far into Quinn contract as I'm not to sure of the details. But I know only $15 mil was fully guaranteed.

I see you're still miss a very simple point that has been proven over and over again and again.

It's more than who's the best that determines who's the highest paid at a position. Only you go on and on arguing something that has been proven many time to be true.

giphy.gif

Makes no sense to not extend him now while his stock is low coming of a 5.5 sack season. I could just image how high his demand would be going in as a free agency with a 2013 season of 10.5 sacks. At that point the figures may be out of hand. Yes we could franchise him but I'll rather bet on him now for less money.

His figure now is only $7 mil. Give him a $8 mil signing bonus so his 1st year salary can remain the same against the cap and he can bring home $15 mil in year one. While the other years can lay around $9 mil. I'm not going to get to far into Quinn contract as I'm not to sure of the details. But I know only $15 mil was fully guaranteed.

41 million was guaranteed on Quinns deal.. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/robert-quinn/

Exactly...so tired of all of the "He's not worth JJ Watt money" which was based on a whole lot of nothing.

He's not worth Watt money. If he's not asking for Watt money then it's worth negotiating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets could give him new money in the form of a bonus that would be spread out over the life of the deal. Pretty easy to get done. I'm guessing that despite what they're saying publicly, drafting Williams has them thinking about trading Mo. That even if they do get together on an extension, that the Jets are looking to structure it in a trade-friendly way. If they're looking to do anything at all. The smart move from a business perspective is to pay hm his $7M now, then franchise tag him next year. Sign or trade him based on what you saw from him and Williams over the season.

The only problem with this Slats is the disruption it may cause in the lockerroom. Mo is a popular guy and one that the young players look up to(Sheldon and Coples) Sends a bad message that we don't take care of our own.

Add to that the possible holdout until week 10.... do you really want to do that to Bowles in his 1st year?

Get him under contract and quit screwing around with the best unit on the team.

Cro leaves next year and maybe Marshall takes a restructure or leaves if Smith steps up or we draft a good WR next year.

The only problem with this Slats is the disruption it may cause in the lockerroom. Mo is a popular guy and one that the young players look up to(Sheldon and Coples) Sends a bad message that we don't take care of our own.

Add to that the possible holdout until week 10.... do you really want to do that to Bowles in his 1st year?

Get him under contract and quit screwing around with the best unit on the team.

Cro leaves next year and maybe Marshall takes a restructure or leaves if Smith steps up or we draft a good WR next year.

Some of the top players of teams have been traded or let go through NFL history, why is it only the Jets where it causes disruption?? If the players don't know the NFL is a business they should seek other employment.. Look what Chip Kelly has done with the Eagles anyone think he is causing locker room turmoil?? The Fans are the ones that come up with the "we don't take care of our own crap". Gee maybe the Pats go down the tubes for not taking care of all the players they lost this year.LOL

This is a simple question of valuation. Wilkerson is seeking a valuation that is in line with what he can do this year with a good secondary behind him and an offense that doesn't make the D defend from the 10 every other drive. The jets are valuing him on his production to date which while good has not been great, purely numbers wise.

Robert Quinn got 41mil guaranteed coming off 19 sacks...

Archived