ESPN Offseason grades: Jets get the only A

VAJetsFan

Giacomini and Carpenter can't pass protect. Colon/Aboushi are JAGs.

You just lost any credibility you had there.  There is no way you can say a young guard who played well when called upon is a JAG.  Zero evidence

Breno & Carp are fine. Aboushi is a young promising goard. This isn't Madden where you turn the cap off and trade for every 99 ovr player in the league.

Exactly. It's funny what people expect from one offseason. 

Add to the previous list mentioned we added a new coach, new staff and a new GM who fired the entire scouting dept. including Bradway FINALLY!!! 

It's like we were supposed to do everything in one offseason with a first time staff or something. This is probably the finest offseason the Jets have ever had. Period. 

Giacomini and Carpenter can't pass protect. Colon/Aboushi are JAGs.

Breno & Carp are fine. Aboushi is a young promising goard. This isn't Madden where you turn the cap off and trade for every 99 ovr player in the league.

Jets also signed James Carpenter to play left guard, 6,5 320 and another former first round pick

Brick, Carpenter, Mangold, TBD, Giacomini

The OL could be solid

while I am very happy with the offseason so far,and I know you cant fix everything in 1 offseason, I would have to agree with drdetroit, at least in the fact that breno is a horrible right tackle. he is a fine run blocker and can handle the bulrush as well, but put any kinda pass rush move on him and you will see him trying to block from behind. he gets smoked 4-5 times a game that destroy drives. he is not an nfl quality right tackle. way too slow footed. guard might be his best option

while I am very happy with the offseason so far,and I know you cant fix everything in 1 offseason, I would have to agree with drdetroit, at least in the fact that breno is a horrible right tackle. he is a fine run blocker and can handle the bulrush as well, but put any kinda pass rush move on him and you will see him trying to block from behind. he gets smoked 4-5 times a game that destroy drives. he is not an nfl quality right tackle. way too slow footed. guard might be his best option

I'm not sure what your expectations are for a RT. If he was a good pass blocker he'd be playing LT making twice or three times of what he's making now. If he's a terrible RT can you honestly name 10-20 or 25 better RT's? I haven't studied them all but from what I can tell there are maybe a handful I'd take over Breno at this point. I can't even name one elite RT off the top of my head. Andre Smith is probably the premier RT. Phil Loadholt is up there, but he sucked last season, he was garbage. If you know more than 2-3 really good RT's without googling them then good for you I guess but I'd find that hard to believe. I'm perfectly fine with Breno. Are there better ones? I'm sure, but he's not a weakness. I'm sure most teams would love to have him in their lineup.

I'm not sure what your expectations are for a RT. If he was a good pass blocker he'd be playing LT making twice or three times of what he's making now. If he's a terrible RT can you honestly name 10-20 or 25 better RT's? I haven't studied them all but from what I can tell there are maybe a handful I'd take over Breno at this point. I can't even name one elite RT off the top of my head. Andre Smith is probably the premier RT. Phil Loadholt is up there, but he sucked last season, he was garbage. If you know more than 2-3 really good RT's without googling them then good for you I guess but I'd find that hard to believe. I'm perfectly fine with Breno. Are there better ones? I'm sure, but he's not a weakness. I'm sure most teams would love to have him in their lineup.

I am sure there are worse right tackles then breno, but not many. the rest of your post I couldn't even begin to respond to.

If you started out the offseason, and asked for a wish list, I think we hit pretty much everything we could reasonably hit this offseason (except maybe RB).  We didn't solve all our problems, but it's virtually impossible to solve every single problem on a roster that ended up with two disaster years.  

There were no QBs that were a sure thing available.  The best we could do was going to be a mediocre starter, and we achieved that in Fitzpatrick.   

Problem No. 1:  The WR unit-  We went from having top bottom 5 unit, to one of the better units in the game, can argue top 5.  Marshall is still a No. 1 WR in the league, and also helps us solve one of our biggest problems, which was red zone issues.  He takes the heat off from Decker, who can thrive better as a No. 2 WR rather than the No. 1.  And then we add Devin Smith to the unit, have someone that can finally catch the ball and run fast at the same time, after years of suffering through Gates/Hill mess, we finally have a WR core that actually compliments each other.  Decker can be great in the middle of the field, Marshall is great in the red zone, and Smith is great as a deep threat.   

Problem No. 2:  The CB unit-  We went from having quite possibly a bottom 5 CB group to arguably the top CB group in the game.  Revis adds a dimension to the this defense that just hasn't existed the last 2 years.  We can actually shut down the other team's top player and force them away from their comfort zone.  Cromartie is still good, comfortable with the system, and Skrine can be a very good slot corner.  We also get Dee Milliner/McDougle and half the group from last year as backups so we can withstand injuries, instead of plucking guys off the street like last year.  

These two were major holes for us, and we filled it well.  

We needed a pass rusher in the draft, and got Mauldin.  While he's not a super stud like Fowler/Beasely, he should still help.  And I liked what I saw from IK last year, so maybe he can step up as well.  

We couldn't afford to get OL that were top tier guys (and fix all the other needs) so we went out and signed a bunch of them, and hope one or two of them workout.  They all can perform well at times, so that's where true competition shows up in camp.

The only area we didn't really address was a pass catching RB that can be explosive out of the backfield.  But there are likely to be more cuts during the preseason, where one of them could get free (Doug Martin maybe?) and still be addressed.   

As far as the offseason, I can't think of any other team that had a better offseason in terms of filling needs, and improving their roster.  They had the best free agency IMO, and they had a top 5 draft, so that combined I can see why they are rated highly.  I think people have a problem with the grade A, because it insinuates that the offseason was perfect, when it wasn't, but also have to figure these grades are given out on a curve.  They can't just say B-, "we have to wait and see how this pans out, can't predict anything right now" on all the grades to be realistic.  They have to take their shots and declare winners/losers to get people talking. 

Archived