Chan Gailey just put the nail in the coffin on the 2015 season

jetscrazey

Rich Cimini @RichCimini 3m3 minutes ago

This is news: Geno Smith is the starter, no competition in training camp, per Jets OC Chan Gailey. #nyj

Rich Cimini @RichCimini 1m1 minute ago

Barring an injury, Smith "probably" will be Wk 1 starter, per Gailey, who basically said there's no way Geno can lose job in camp. #nyj

7-9 here we come.  Unless if Geno is magically a different QB next season, this makes no sense.  Look at his career stats then look at Fitzpatrick's.  It's not even close, Fitzpatrick is the better NFL QB, because what he lacks vs. Geno in raw talent, he makes up for in smarts and decision-making.  Gailey is falling in love with Geno's raw talent (same as Rex/Idzik), we know how badly this ends.

Smith career stats:

25 TDs, 34 INTs, 57.5% completions, 6.9 yds/attempt

Fitzpatrick career stats:

123 TDs, 101 INTS, 60.2% completions, 6.6 yards/attempt

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fitz went to Harvard.  Still can;t keep a job.  How smart can he be?

Fitz has a career TD:INT ratio above 1, which is more than I can say for Geno.

This team needs a game manager, someone who won't ruin things with a great defense.  Geno is not that type of QB.

I'm okay with this little bit of psychology.

Fitzpatrick won't be healthy enough to take the job until the season has begun. I'm sure a lot of fans here are going to read this at face value and freak out, but the reality I see is Bowles said he'd figure out what makes each individual tick. Since they don't want to start Petty, and Fitz won't be ready, why not get behind Geno and see where that gets you? Rex always hedged on Geno, because of the politicking between he and Idzik. 

Can't hurt to try a different form of motivation in May.

7-9 here we come.  Unless if Geno is magically a different QB next season, this makes no sense.  Look at his career stats then look at Fitzpatrick's.  It's not even close, Fitzpatrick is the better NFL QB, because what he lacks vs. Geno in raw talent, he makes up for in smarts and decision-making.  Gailey is falling in love with Geno's raw talent (same as Rex/Idzik), we know how badly this ends.

Smith career stats:

25 TDs, 34 INTs, 57.5% completions, 6.9 yds/attempt

Fitzpatrick career stats:

123 TDs, 101 INTS, 60.2% completions, 6.6 yards/attempt

To Geno's credit, Fitz stats is from 10 years. looking at it that way I dont see anything to go home and tell mom about. Geno could easily turn it around, we all know the problems the Jets had on offense outside of him. Fitz on the otherhand is who he is. 

Seems like the smart thing to do really, first off Fitz is coming off an injury and probably wont be 100% until the start of the season. Then you add the whole thing about how Fitz doesn't really need first team reps during training camp like the other QBs would because he already knows Chans system. Geno has more potential than Fitz and Chan has done well with QBs who weren't so great probably not a bad thing to give Geno a chance and if it doesn't work out Fitz is there to play backup in a system he already knows.

Fitzpatrick won't be healthy enough to take the job until the season has begun. I'm sure a lot of fans here are going to read this at face value and freak out, but the reality I see is Bowles said he'd figure out what makes each individual tick. Since they don't want to start Petty, and Fitz won't be ready, why not get behind Geno and see where that gets you? Rex always hedged on Geno, because of the politicking between he and Idzik. 

Hope your right Ape, but I don't like this at all

Seems like the smart thing to do really, first off Fitz is coming off an injury and probably wont be 100% until the start of the season. Then you add the whole thing about how Fitz doesn't really need first team reps during training camp like the other QBs would because he already knows Chans system. Geno has more potential than Fitz and Chan has done well with QBs who weren't so great probably not a bad thing to give Geno a chance and if it doesn't work out Fitz is there to play backup in a system he already knows.

All true points, in addition Smith is a better physical talent than Fitzpatrick ever was.  The difference in this

situation is if Smith "wets the bed" Bowles will not hesitate to move on to Fitzpatrick as QB.  He will not waste

the kind of defense we will have this year

Yep that's the feeling I got as well..

Geno could easily turn it around, we all know the problems the Jets had on offense outside of him. Fitz on the otherhand is who he is. 

I got news for you: Geno is who he is.  A guy who had all day to throw the ball in college, playing basically 7-on-7, and developed bad habits as a result.  He's not an NFL starter.

Fitz has a career TD:INT ratio above 1, which is more than I can say for Geno.

This team needs a game manager, someone who won't ruin things with a great defense.  Geno is not that type of QB.

let's not compare garbage to trash here.  We can only hope Gailey has a reason for  saying that if he actually really said it.  

I'm more interested in what Mac and Bowles have to say. Gailey takes direction from those two, it's ultimately up to them as to what happens with the QB situation.

I seriously think we're over-reacting here. The whole off-season, the mantra has been all about competition. That isn't going to suddenly change just becausea 70-something OC said so. It's most likely this was just taken out of context. Nothing more to see here, folks.

I got news for you: Geno is who he is.  A guy who had all day to throw the ball in college, playing basically 7-on-7, and developed bad habits as a result.  He's not an NFL starter.

I got news for you. No one knows what Geno is, and having a guy like Chan Gailey will certainly have us figure that out. So your statement as it stands today is #irrelevant.

While your predicting the future would you mind sharing the lotto numbers? thanks.

I love how everyone feels like Chan Gailey is an offensive mastermind and praises having someone who has been around the block and knows offense in charge of that side of the ball until this same person declares that Geno is the best QB we have on the roster. Instead of being impressed with Geno, we instantly say that Gailey is yet another bum heading a sinking ship.

I'm not entirely sure why anyone expected any different.  He's younger, has a higher upside and is under contract on the cheap, of course they want him to win.  It also says that the margin between Fitz and Geno is not all that great or the offensive coordinator with zero ties to Geno wouldn't be anointing him. That having been said, I'm very excited for the meltdown on here that shall ensue. 

I love how everyone feels like Chan Gailey is an offensive mastermind and praises having someone who has been around the block and knows offense in charge of that side of the ball until this same person declares that Geno is the best QB we have on the roster. Instead of being impressed with Geno, we instantly say that Gailey is yet another bum heading a sinking ship.

He didn't say that.  Fitz is injured.

Why anoint Geno as the starter?  We made the same mistake with him last season and with Sanchez.  If Geno earns the starting gig, fine.   But let every QB compete for the job.

Probably because the coach has judged that he is head and shoulders better than anyone else on the roster.

Of course, every coach is a genius until their opinion differs from those of the fans.

what did they stand to lose by going into training camp with an open competition?

Listen:

I think with Fritz being hurt they DON'T want people rushing Petty into the line up before he is ready. 

We Jets fans are simply not rational and this stops unrealistic expectations before they get ANY momentum!!

Archived