Chan Gailey just put the nail in the coffin on the 2015 season

jetscrazey

There were plenty of opportunities for the Jets to secure another QB or QBs to replace Geno or for a legitimate competition.

But they chose not to do that. They decided to go all in on Geno. Shouldn't you at least give them the benefit of the doubt that they truly do see something in Geno, and that he is not just the default starter and actually as a Jets fan be a little excited to see what he can do for a good coaching staff, with a team that also seems to be very behind him?

I am not sure there were plenty of opportunities to upgrade.  Maybe, but it isn't like either of the QBs in this draft fell to them; rumor is that the Jets explored trading up to get one, but if the Chip couldn't trade up and he had such a hard on for him, then it sounds like it was too expensive.  The could have traded Mo to the Raiders for next year's number 1 hoping they would be in the top 5 again, but who would have gone for that?  Sam Bradford? Eagles had Foles to trade; Foles? Rams had Bradford to trade.  Should we have traded our #2 for some other team's backup?

It wasn't like Manning was released for the highest bidder to pick up.  Cutler? would the Bears really trade him? would we want him? what was the cost?  We don't know what we tried to do and how we rated 'available' QBs and what the cost was.

There are only so many top QBs; What team is going to be willing to get rid of a top 10/top 15 QB?  What would the price have been.  I think they did a great job in the off-season filling holes, but how much can one team do in one season? How much is too much to trade on another question mark at QB?  Maybe Petty will be able to compete next year; maybe a good QB drops to us next year; I am not happy with Geno, but sometimes the best you can do is all you can do.

The real problem is that this defense (and to a certain point this offense) is too good for us to get a top 10 pick next year (I would assume), so next year we will have the same problem as this year.  We can only hope for the best.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bucs have Glennon under contract for cheap through 2016 (850K cap charge this year, under $1M next season).  They have very little incentive to trade him at this time.  Even if Villain was spot on that we should have gone after him, it's moot.

Moooooo

I'd take gimpy Fitz over full-strength Geno any day of the week.

If Fitz was so good he'd still be the starting QB for the Texans, I mean if he isn't good enough to beat Hoyer, Mallett or Savage is he really worth talking about. 

I am not sure there were plenty of opportunities to upgrade.  Maybe, but it isn't like either of the QBs in this draft fell to them; rumor is that the Jets explored trading up to get one, but if the Chip couldn't trade up and he had such a hard on for him, then it sounds like it was too expensive.  The could have traded Mo to the Raiders for next year's number 1 hoping they would be in the top 5 again, but who would have gone for that?  Sam Bradford? Eagles had Foles to trade; Foles? Rams had Bradford to trade.  Should we have traded our #2 for some other team's backup?

It wasn't like Manning was released for the highest bidder to pick up.  Cutler? would the Bears really trade him? would we want him? what was the cost?  We don't know what we tried to do and how we rated 'available' QBs and what the cost was.

There are only so many top QBs; What team is going to be willing to get rid of a top 10/top 15 QB?  What would the price have been.  I think they did a great job in the off-season filling holes, but how much can one team do in one season? How much is too much to trade on another question mark at QB?  Maybe Petty will be able to compete next year; maybe a good QB drops to us next year; I am not happy with Geno, but sometimes the best you can do is all you can do.

The real problem is that this defense (and to a certain point this offense) is too good for us to get a top 10 pick next year (I would assume), so next year we will have the same problem as this year.  We can only hope for the best.

Good post ...agreed!

The options available at QB this year were not good for the price tag

Great Post!!

Why is this so hard for so many to figure out!!!

That's why I think that 'Right now' phrase is very pertinent.

I am not sure about Fitz's rehab schedule but it could very well be that there are big questions about his being available for Opening Day. I won't be surprised if the JETS FO knew that before they acquired him and the plan is that he starts the season on the PUP list that effectively makes you sit out the first six games of the season and then comes back for the later half of the season if Geno is struggling.

I hope he isn't going on PUP.  Smith could improve under Gailey I guess, and move up from the bottom of the league.   I afraid he might go into an early season funk 

If Fitz was so good he'd still be the starting QB for the Texans, I mean if he isn't good enough to beat Hoyer, Mallett or Savage is he really worth talking about.

He's not healthy plus the texans really have no idea how to evaluate the qb position.

Good post ...agreed!

The options available at QB this year were not good for the price tag

There were no options. As bad as Geno has been he is still head and shoulders above the Jake Lockers, Brian Hoyers and Ryan Mallets. We won too many meaningless games to get Winston and Mariota. The only qb even worth a shot we traded for and he's not healthy what is wrong with this fanbase?!?

There were no options. As bad as Geno has been he is still head and shoulders above the Jake Lockers, Brian Hoyers and Ryan Mallets. We won too many meaningless games to get Winston and Mariota. The only qb even worth a shot we traded for and he's not healthy what is wrong with this fanbase?!?

Geno is head and shoulders above no NFL quarterback. We've learned this in slow motion for two seasons, poised for a third. Could drag on for a few more, too, as far as this board is concerned. Hope and excuses go a long way.

I'd say Mallett's sample size is a bit small at this point, no?

Geno is head and shoulders above no NFL quarterback. We've learned this in slow motion for two seasons, poised for a third. Could drag on for a few more, too, as far as this board is concerned. Hope and excuses go a long way.

No, I don't think so. And I'm more forgiving of Geno, and the staff for naming him the starter already, than most. If he doesn't elevate his play to the middle of the pack range this season -hell, even if he does- he'll be in a competition with at least Bryce Petty next year. If he's the same statistically terrible QB under Gailey with the new toys at his disposal, he'll be fighting for a roster spot next year.

This year, unfortunately, he's their best option.

No, I don't think so. And I'm more forgiving of Geno, and the staff for naming him the starter already, than most. If he doesn't elevate his play to the middle of the pack range this season -hell, even if he does- he'll be in a competition with at least Bryce Petty next year. If he's the same statistically terrible QB under Gailey with the new toys at his disposal, he'll be fighting for a roster spot next year.

This year, unfortunately, he's their best option.

Good thing your not the GM - you'd extend him 10 years.  This is SOJ mentality.  The guy sucks azz.  Oh but he's our best option so lets talk him up and give him the benefit of the doubt.  This is Sanchez Part II. We are now in year 3 of the Geno Smith atrocity.  Just another two years to go. Whoopee.  Smith has been presented with ZERO competition.  Mac promised competition at the QB position.  He's made some great moves but has fallen flat on his face with this one.    Do you really know what 'benefit of the doubt means' nowadays in our politically correct world?   It really implies we have no confidence or belief in you whatsoever, your guilty as hell in our eyes, we could care less about you but we'll move on until we decide to chop your head off.  

Good thing your not the GM - you'd extend him 10 years.  This is SOJ mentality.  The guy sucks azz.  Oh but he's our best option so lets talk him up and give him the benefit of the doubt.  This is Sanchez Part II. We are now in year 3 of the Geno Smith atrocity.  Just another two years to go. Whoopee.  Smith has been presented with ZERO competition.  Mac promised competition at the QB position.  He's made some great moves but has fallen flat on his face with this one.    Do you really know what 'benefit of the doubt means' nowadays in our politically correct world?   It really implies we have no confidence or belief in you whatsoever, your guilty as hell in our eyes, we could care less about you but we'll move on until we decide to chop your head off.  

I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. 

I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. 

No Thanks. I don't deal with gobbledygook from smiling faces.  By November, you'll be calling for Geno's head on a stick. Just your style to go with the popular stream of thought.  If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything. 

Archived