Best Case Scenario.... Coples goes Beast Mode in Camp.

32EBoozer

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And if we don't have a QB.... do you use your dominant chess pieces to try and get that QB?

Just trying to see where people stand on this. I know there have been a few threads on this but no one seems to be giving any consideration to Coples.

It all seems to be Leonard Williams being the de-facto replacement for Mo. I'm wondering if "Q" steps up, how that would impact the Wilkerson equation?

Probably not, because most teams understand QB >>>>>>>>>>> DE.

Your scenario draws one majorly false conclusion, and it is that teams are willing to hand over a franchise QB for a defensive end. So, I say probably not, because teams aren't like to make a deal with us. 

Instead, I figure we'll just be dominant all over our defense, and have QB we hope doesn't lose games single-handedly.

It's been a while since I've done this. :-)

Mike+Glennon+Tampa+Bay+Buccaneers+Rookie

It's been a while since I've done this. :-)

Mike+Glennon+Tampa+Bay+Buccaneers+Rookie

He's not "Pretty" enough to be a quality starter!

Everyone of the top 10 QB's is handsome (I'll give you Brees with that birthmark tarnishes my theory a bit and Peyton just plain goofy). Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, Rivers, Romo, Luck, Cam etc.... sorry, but in NY we need a marketable stud QB. Petty may fit the bill in a few years.

Until then, we stay ugly with our own guys!! :Banane43:

In college I think he played all over the line.... inside and out.

Yes, but I have noticed he has trouble getting around the edge.  He rolls over guards and centers though.  I don;t think he has that really good first step

Yes, but I have noticed he has trouble getting around the edge.  He rolls over guards and centers though.  I don;t think he has that really good first step

rough.gif

sackbrady1.gif

F6s2qLc.gif

He can beat tackles around the edge just fine, but he's obviously not a finesse pass rusher. Neither is JJ Watt, neither is Mario Williams.

rough.gif

sackbrady1.gif

F6s2qLc.gif

He can beat tackles around the edge just fine, but he's obviously not a finesse pass rusher. Neither is JJ Watt, neither is Mario Williams.

I like Coples probably more than most on the board, but only in one of those gifs did he really beat the tackle, the other two the guards couldn't get out of their stance fast enough. That's not Coples' fault, but it's not like he was routinely beating LTs off the snap. His best position has always been lining up over guard or center and using his freakish athleticism and strength to beat them, but he's been playing out of position for years. 

I like Coples probably more than most on the board, but only in one of those gifs did he really beat the tackle, the other two the guards couldn't get out of their stance fast enough. That's not Coples' fault, but it's not like he was routinely beating LTs off the snap. His best position has always been lining up over guard or center and using his freakish athleticism and strength to beat them, but he's been playing out of position for years. 

Remember when Herm tried to make Shaun Ellis a DT.. :animal0029:

Nobody said he's an elite edge rusher. He's not supposed to be. For a guy his size he moves extremely well but he just is not an OLB. He's a lineman, just like Watt, just like Mario Williams. That's his comparison. Not Von Miller or Justin Houston. Rex by the way is moving Mario Williams to OLB now. Doing the same mistake again, playing guys out of position. What a doofus.

Nobody said he's an elite edge rusher. He's not supposed to be. For a guy his size he moves extremely well but he just is not an OLB. He's a lineman, just like Watt, just like Mario Williams. That's his comparison. Not Von Miller or Justin Houston. Rex by the way is moving Mario Williams to OLB now. Doing the same mistake again, playing guys out of position. What a doofus.

Mario has played OLB Rex isn't the first to move him..

We all know he can play OLB. I'm sure Watt could play OLB. That's not the point...

Actually it is the point.  You cant say he can play well at OLB but its stupid to play him there.  Especially if the move allows him to put another productive player into the lineup.  Mario at OLB and someone else they like paying DL might make more sense than benching that player to play Mario at DL and a lesser player at OLB.  

And that Watt might be able to play OLB isn't the point, who can play OLB doesn't change anything. Not everyone can switch from a DE to a OLB.  Point is he can.  

Didn't he get hurt after like 6 games that season?

Not sure how that changes anything.  He also was injured the year before the switch to OLB as a DE.  As an OLB he was averaging a sack a game though.  Not bad.   He played OLB under Wade Phillips in Houston and again under Petine in Buffalo.  Two pretty good DCs.  

You're right, it's beyond stupid.

I'll let Bowles and Rogers make that call. One thing in their favor is that Coples has been playing OLB position for 2 years already.... the one thing in their favor is that

the proverbial "learning curve" is gone. They'll know quickly if Q at OLB will work or not and we will see if they have the balls to stop this experiment.

Remember when Herm tried to make Shaun Ellis a DT.. :animal0029:

If Coples can make the transition to a playmaking OLB, this "D" will be #1 in the league. Then we're lookin at Sheldon, Williams, Mo and Harrison rotating in/out on the DL.

If Coples bombs at OLB and guys like Mauldin, Babin, IK and Pace beat him out and he joins the DL rotation, then I'm afraid to say he would get traded to a team lacking DL.

Archived