Why Chan chose Geno so soon....

njjetman

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So happy Rex is gone..  no more Coples at OLB, no more 3-4 when we have 4-3 personnel, no more early declarations of who the starting QB will be..  it's been so refreshing.

Yeah but its different now.  

So happy Rex is gone..  no more Coples at OLB, no more 3-4 when we have 4-3 personnel, no more early declarations of who the starting QB will be..  it's been so refreshing.

Before this draft we supposedly had too many defensive linemen to stick with a 3-4 base. What do we do with the #6 pick? Draft yet another one...and still say we're playing a 3-4, ensuring one of these DT/DE types will often (or usually) be on the sideline plus one DT/DE playing OLB. So net, we got nothing out of our first pick. Absent a change in management names, whether HC or GM or both, this would be eclipsing deflategate as the primary discussion here since draft weekend.

I'm being facetious here. Personally, I'm happy with picking Williams, since he was supposedly the best player in the whole draft (whether he's the most valuable to us remains to be seen, of course). But I agree this pick judgment would be seen as poor - if not beyond moronic - if not for Woody finally cleaning house this winter.

I love how so many fans think that somehow a guy who has been playing QB since he was a little kid doesn't understand that his current level of play is causing the team to lose games and that somehow putting him on blast is going to set off a light bulb over his head and either turn him into Peyton Manning or get him to quit the sport and leave the business.  Geno is not getting the job done right now and is a sub par QB because he stinks, not because he doesn't understand or feel like his job is in jeopardy.  The best way to maybe get something out of him is to work with him and develop his talents (whatever they are) and try and round out the rough spots.  You don't do that by coming in and ripping him on day one.  Chan took an objective look at his QB's and sees that right now Geno has the most upside and the most aptitude to carry this team this year.  If you are being objective, he is correct.

Agree with most of this. But all the same it could just be as simple as he (and Bowles) just don't want the distraction of a headline/narrative discussing a QB competition all summer long. Plus announcing a competition - to make it a "real" competition, unlike last year - all QBs would have to get equal playing time in practices or otherwise it's a sham. 

The part I don't agree with is that, if "being objective" as you put it, it remains to be seen whether Geno has the most aptitude to carry this team this year. That isn't objective; it's rationalizing a subjective team decision after it's been announced publicly. What Smith has (as of today, however much that might change) is the best chance of helping the team this year as starter among those healthy enough to be on the field. What's the purpose of saying he wants a competition between Smith and someone who may yet start the season on the PUP list, so the whole team feels dejected that their starter isn't starting and excuses mount? Hey, don't worry if we win or lose; our starting QB isn't even on the field. Don't worry about practicing hard, running patterns all-out 100% or dropping the ball; our starting QB isn't even on the field; don't hurt yourself blocking or rushing the passer or anything, really. It's all wasted effort.  

Personally I think it was pointless to announce anything to the media one way or the other, but then I'm not on the roster or coaching staff and don't have to deal with this distraction, let alone while trying to carry out the multitude of other responsibilities over the next 3+ months. Left to the media, QB competition questions would be all they ask about. They'll still ask a little, but an announcement will (or should) cut down on it tremendously. In the end, it could just be one big justification to have Geno taking all the first-team snaps until Fitzpatrick is back, without being badgered with scorekeeping of the snap count distributions all summer.

Chan Gailey specifically said Geno would not lose his starting job in camp or the preseason. He also said the only way Geno loses his job is by paying poorly over a period of time in the season.

Why don't you just give me the exact quote instead of coming up with your own horsesh*t? Were you on the same short bus with the other guy? Or is this your mult account?

I feel the reason Chan. decided to make a quick decision is because he said he would Taylor the offence to the strengths of the quarterback. This takes time to implement a system into a team and I feel he believes he can best create a system to suit geno rather than Fitz. Geno has more upside, is younger, and I'm sure he is doing what he feels is best for the team. I'm sure he didn't just flip a coin and come up with Geno. I'm sure he feels he can bring out the best in Geno.

Look at some of the stats from Aikman, Payton, Eli, Elway, and more, they didn't do very good their first couple of years. And they weren't system quarterbacks like geno. I say give him a chance and if he doesn't produce, no excuses, Petty will be next in line 2016.

1. "The Beard" had his best years playing in Chan's system.

2. Petty will not be a reliable QB for 2-3 years.

3. I agree with Geno being the one with more upside and I think he's better than "The Beard" even right now.

4. I like the fact that both of these QBs can scramble a little and I think they can replace each other (due to injury or performance) just as fine and not alter the gameplan.

Why are you so disrespectful to other Jet fans? Every retort you have is of a negative manner, and adds nothing to the discussion.

While other fans ask Mods to get rid of trolls from other teams, mostly the Pats, if they want to keep this an interesting place to catch up on & discuss the Jets, poster like yourself should be banned.

Your a typical internet troll, posting things you would never say to another fans face because they knock surely knock u out!

Your input is greatly appreciated. Now go get your shinebox and GFY.

IMO this is why HC's don't  usually want coordinators talking to the media.     I don't think anything has changed since Bowles said this.

"You take positions in training camp," Bowles said. "You're first-team, you want to stay first-team, you do your job. If you're not, you don't do your job. But we haven't seen Geno in a quarterbacking situation, so I'm not saying he's not going to be the quarterback or he is going to be the quarterback. He just starts out there."

Lot of speculation by me here, but just using logic I suspect when Macc, Bowles and Gailey  got in the building the first thing they did was review their QB situation.  What they saw is the same thing we have all seen.  A young QB, with some talent, who played like the worst QB in the league.  There weren't many options out there.  They brought in the best journeyman QB available.  

They also realized that the teams best case scenario under the circumstances was for Smith to stop turning the ball over repeatedly,  to stop panicking, and act like an NFL QB.  Long shot, but still the best plan.  If the competition between Fitz, and Smith, was even remotely close, Smith was going to be the opening day starter, "for now".

They would stage what would appear to be a competition in camp to motivate Smith, but being younger, and with more physical upside then Fitz, Simth would have a major advantage over Fitz.  Unless of course Smith came out and showed the same traits as he did the last two years, in which case Fitz gets the start because Smith sucks.

Gailey during his presser looked uncomfortable with the media.  I think he tried to say the same thing that Bowles said, hedged several times, but in the end revealed it wasn't a sure thing, but Smith was going to "probably"  be the starter.

Think at this point in the season, it was dumb to say it, and I don't think Bowles wanted him to say it.  It again has the appereance of turning the QB job over to an unqualified starter.  But it's done.  The cats out of the bag, and can't be put back.  

After this, if I'm Bowles I don't let Gailey speak to the media again until he absolutely has to.  If he's a Parcells disciple he should have known this.

Nothing changed.  If Smith shows any improvement,  he starts. If he plays like Geno, Fitz starts.

My problem with this is that Smith usually plays OK in camp, and then sh*ts the bed  when the pressure of games gets to him.  Don't want  to start the season 1-3 before they drop the trap door on him.

At this point we can only hope Smith is re-born. 

Think at this point in the season, it was dumb to say it, and I don't think Bowles wanted him to say it.  It again has the appereance of turning the QB job over to an unqualified starter.  But it's done.  

what most Jets fans are neglecting in this QB discussion is that Chan Gailey didn't have a job between leaving the Bills in 2012 and becoming the OC of the Jets in 2015. It's possible (heck likely) we are dealing with another incompetent OC. If the guy thinks he can salvage Geno he's either the world's greatest offensive coach or incompetent. 

what most Jets fans are neglecting in this QB discussion is that Chan Gailey didn't have a job between leaving the Bills in 2012 and becoming the OC of the Jets in 2015. It's possible (heck likely) we are dealing with another incompetent OC. If the guy thinks he can salvage Geno he's either the world's greatest offensive coach or incompetent. 

He retired you twit. Only reason he even came out of retirement is because he's tight with Bowles. Why are you assuming the guy sucks because he made a statement that Geno is in the lead going into training camp?

Jet fans are the absolute worst.

Or there's the obvious, that his comments are influenced by what he has to work with, not what fans who refuse to see the obvious want to hear

Why don't you just give me the exact quote instead of coming up with your own horsesh*t? Were you on the same short bus with the other guy? Or is this your mult account?

Stop with personal Attacks. Ok? Thanks.

What personal attack?

Lol

This is certainly possible.  But I think what history has shown us is that Gailey is an excellent QB guru, and a horrible head coach.  I believe he will get Smith to play better then he has in the past, but never be good.

My hope is at this point we can get enough play out of Smith, or hopefully Fitz to provide and entertaining  season, and perhaps a shot in the play offs.     Gailey is able to spin some magic on Petty, and the Jets will be off and running next season.

Sucks, but that's the best I can see

He retired you twit. Only reason he even came out of retirement is because he's tight with Bowles. Why are you assuming the guy sucks because he made a statement that Geno is in the lead going into training camp?

Jet fans are the absolute worst.

LOL

You must have gotten an anti-mod vaccine before you started posting here.  I don't think I have ever seen you make a post that you didn't degrade, or attack someone on here.   

BTW Bowles has never worked with Gailey, and barely knew him before he was hired

Denial turns to Anger .. This annoucement got some jets fans going through all the phases

People make it sound like we had a big "who will be our starting QB week 1" type press conference. They asked him dozens of times and he finally after a regular OTA practice gave them what they wanted, maybe they'll shut up now.

So alternatively, a guy  who has been playing QB since he was a little kid doesn't understand that his current level of play is causing the team to lose games and that somehow handing him the starting job without having to compete for it is going to set off a light bulb over his head and turn him into Peyton Manning

They handed him the starting job because he is the guy most capable of becoming the QB they need to win games.  Carrying on a sham of a QB battle between a third year pro who is a former 2nd round pick and an aging veteran who was never more than a slightly below average QB is kind of foolish.  If Geno takes another step forward this season as he has previously, he is a far better QB than Fitz.....if he doesn't then he gets benched and we get the high draft pick we need to replace him.

They handed him the starting job because he is the guy most capable of becoming the QB they need to win games.  Carrying on a sham of a QB battle between a third year pro who is a former 2nd round pick and an aging veteran who was never more than a slightly below average QB is kind of foolish.  If Geno takes another step forward this season as he has previously, he is a far better QB than Fitz.....if he doesn't then he gets benched and we get the high draft pick we need to replace him.

My point is that the psychology for Geno can work (or not work) both ways.. I don't understand why we'd declare no competition at the position we've been weakest at for years. If Rex did this ya'll be howling about it

He chose Geno because every qb on the roster stinks. In that scenario, you go with the young guy who still has a chance to improve. Why is this difficult to understand?

Because so many people have convinced themselves that Geno is the worst quarterback in the history of the world and deserves to die!  Just kidding but some times I wonder.... 

Archived