Why Chan chose Geno so soon....

njjetman

My point is that the psychology for Geno can work (or not work) both ways.. I don't understand why we'd declare no competition at the position we've been weakest at for years. If Rex did this ya'll be howling about it

Yeah but its cool now.  Just like Coples playing out of position.  

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or there's the obvious, that his comments are influenced by what he has to work with, not what fans who refuse to see the obvious want to hear

Man oh man I just love this.  The variety of rationalizations are truly amazing to behold. 

what most Jets fans are neglecting in this QB discussion is that Chan Gailey didn't have a job between leaving the Bills in 2012 and becoming the OC of the Jets in 2015. It's possible (heck likely) we are dealing with another incompetent OC. If the guy thinks he can salvage Geno he's either the world's greatest offensive coach or incompetent. 

Or he watched tape or Rex's offense from the past 5 years and had a stroke.

Agree with most of this. But all the same it could just be as simple as he (and Bowles) just don't want the distraction of a headline/narrative discussing a QB competition all summer long. Plus announcing a competition - to make it a "real" competition, unlike last year - all QBs would have to get equal playing time in practices or otherwise it's a sham. 

The part I don't agree with is that, if "being objective" as you put it, it remains to be seen whether Geno has the most aptitude to carry this team this year. That isn't objective; it's rationalizing a subjective team decision after it's been announced publicly. What Smith has (as of today, however much that might change) is the best chance of helping the team this year as starter among those healthy enough to be on the field. What's the purpose of saying he wants a competition between Smith and someone who may yet start the season on the PUP list, so the whole team feels dejected that their starter isn't starting and excuses mount? Hey, don't worry if we win or lose; our starting QB isn't even on the field. Don't worry about practicing hard, running patterns all-out 100% or dropping the ball; our starting QB isn't even on the field; don't hurt yourself blocking or rushing the passer or anything, really. It's all wasted effort.  

Personally I think it was pointless to announce anything to the media one way or the other, but then I'm not on the roster or coaching staff and don't have to deal with this distraction, let alone while trying to carry out the multitude of other responsibilities over the next 3+ months. Left to the media, QB competition questions would be all they ask about. They'll still ask a little, but an announcement will (or should) cut down on it tremendously. In the end, it could just be one big justification to have Geno taking all the first-team snaps until Fitzpatrick is back, without being badgered with scorekeeping of the snap count distributions all summer.

It would not be a real competition until Geno got a bunch of snaps in Gailey's system, anyway. All this press obsession with fair competition.  Fitz has already got it down.  Let's face it, we have what we have, and Geno is younger, faster, has a better arm and did not go to school in the Ivy League, a death knell for QBs.  Gailey knows what Fitz brings. I think his expectations for Fitz are just as low as last year's Geno, which is backup level play (hopefully).  He prays Geno does not bring what he has been bringing.  But he also commented about some of the stuff Geno was asked to run and the kind of throws they asked him to make.  I think Gailey believes he can do something with Geno.  And like someone said earlier, everything they run for Geno can also be good for Petty down the road. Fitz is a mobile QB. and will be more of a statue after the broken leg.   With  our line that could be a frightening proposition.   I don't think Gailey has mystic visions about Geno rising to the top of the QB class.But if he can give him better options back there than MM did,  it might get us a few less INTs and a few more TDs.  It could be as modest an expectation as that.

He retired you twit. Only reason he even came out of retirement is because he's tight with Bowles. Why are you assuming the guy sucks because he made a statement that Geno is in the lead going into training camp?

Jet fans are the absolute worst.

You keep saying this and now call someone a twit over it. You actually have to retire to come out of retirement. He didn't retire, unless you have a link that says otherwise.

Why don't you just give me the exact quote instead of coming up with your own horsesh*t? Were you on the same short bus with the other guy? Or is this your mult account?

Love how you completely ignored what I said, and replied to someone else. What to scared to quote me directly? Btw, I gave you those quotes/summaries you so desire. Mind, like in my previous post, bringing any form of evidence from the press conference to support your argument? The only thing you have pretty much done in any of your posts on this topic is call me retarded. I must say your quite skilled at this topic of using ad hominem attacks to support your faulty argument. You'd have a much more compelling argument if you say, I don't know, used any form of evidence to support your stance besides the old short bus argument.

Your input is greatly appreciated. Now go get your shinebox and GFY.

My shinebox? Lol

I actually own two homes, one in the Northeast & one on the coast of the Carolinas. I would guess that if one of us was shining shoes it would most likely be you cleaning my shoes in the airport while I'm flying between the two.

geno12-1024x682.jpg

The New York Jets named Geno Smith their starting quarterback today in a move that should not have surprised you. Let’s look at why they are did this, how Smith performed in his second year as a NFL starting quarterback and where he needs to improve to hold on to his job throughout the upcoming season…

Why? Smith is the most talented quarterback on the roster and the best case scenario for the organization in the short and long term is Smith playing well this season. He is the third youngest starter in the NFL (outside of the two first round rookies) and coaching staffs crave talented, young players who are cheap. It stagnates an offense when first team reps are split between multiple quarterbacks throughout practice and Smith needs more work in this system than Ryan Fitzpatrick, who knows it inside and out.

Chan Gailey knows exactly what he has in Fitzpatrick and the Jets know FItzpatrick will be ready to play in a second with Smith on a quick hook (unlike Mike Vick, most professional veterans continue to work hard as backups). This allows Smith to get the necessary work with the starting unit throughout the off-season (Fitzpatrick isn’t 100% healthy yet either) and hopefully be ready to roll as an improved player by week 1.Playing Bryce Petty meaningful snaps was never a consideration for 2015.

Reports like this were wildly off base, as the new regime saw a degree of potential in Smith and with their limited flexibility and options this off-season thought he was a good option with more talent surrounding him and a new offensive system.

Smith in Year 2: Smith improved his completion percentage by four percentage points as a sophomore from his rookie year, he also threw one more touchdown and had eight less interceptions. Over his final seven starts, if you take away this coaching atrocity, Smith was 121/199 (60%), 9 TDs, 4 INTs, 1,428 yards with an additional 124 rushing yards (don’t forget this bizarre game plan was in there as well against Miami on Monday night). If he can project that production over an entire season, the Jets could very well find themselves in the playoffs.

Despite the numeric improvements, Smith was maddeningly inconsistent in 2014. Yes, his supporting cast left plenty to be desired and yes the coaching staff was mentally checked out before the year even began but Smith needs to be held accountable for his ongoing propensity to turn the football over and make poor decisions.

Smith has a terrible habit of locking into his first read and basically pre-determining before the snap where he is going with the football. When he does this, interceptions happen.

8UHNbH0.gif

lGdKh7f.gif

Despite being a good athlete and racking up impressive yardage totals as a rookie on the ground, Smith shows a hesitance to run and will force passes down the field instead of utilizing running lanes. In the below play, he could have easily run for the first down but instead tried to push the ball to Jeff Cumberland on a four vertical concept.

Screen-Shot-2014-10-08-at-5.27.35-PM.png

Another habit Smith must drop is backpedaling too far in the pocket and holding on to the football too long. The Jets offensive line was average last season and had some ugly games but Smith didn’t help his sack totals by holding on to the ball too long and not stepping up in the pocket frequently enough.

YAqc8lO.gif

So why would the coaching staff have faith in Smith? As mentioned earlier, he is young and was developed in just about the worst way possible. He was a second rounder who started from day one and asked to drop back 30+ times in 7 of his first 8 starts with an average line and a terrible group of receivers. Chan Gailey’s offense should be more friendly to his skill set and what he did in college than Marty Mornhinweg’s offense. Smith also will now have more talent around him than at any point in his NFL career.

Smith also has terrific natural arm strength and touch on deep passes. In the first GIF, he properly scans the defense and fires a missile to Jeremy Kerley on a 3rd and long. In the second, he stands in the pocket, takes a shot and delivers a dime to Eric Decker for the touchdown.

6DvVgrN.gif

OE5WCHh.gif

Smith is a very good athlete, with an ability to improvise and create plays with both his legs and arm down the field. Ultimately, this team needs to find a way to score more points and if the staff is confident they can help control Smith’s turnovers, he provides the best ability to do that on the roster this year.

Ff3IwsM.gif

ZYcA9qY.gif

Smith will unquestionably have a quick hook with Fitzpatrick behind him on the depth chart but as of now, he makes the most sense as this team’s starter heading into training camp.

Before this draft we supposedly had too many defensive linemen to stick with a 3-4 base. What do we do with the #6 pick? Draft yet another one...and still say we're playing a 3-4, ensuring one of these DT/DE types will often (or usually) be on the sideline plus one DT/DE playing OLB. So net, we got nothing out of our first pick. Absent a change in management names, whether HC or GM or both, this would be eclipsing deflategate as the primary discussion here since draft weekend.

I'm being facetious here. Personally, I'm happy with picking Williams, since he was supposedly the best player in the whole draft (whether he's the most valuable to us remains to be seen, of course). But I agree this pick judgment would be seen as poor - if not beyond moronic - if not for Woody finally cleaning house this winter.

Yeah if Rex was still the coach we'd be screaming bloody murder. I remember people screaming nursed when Sheldon was drafted in '13.

We'll be using lots of NASCAR formation next couple years to get all of these studs on the field

My shinebox? Lol

I actually own two homes, one in the Northeast & one on the coast of the Carolinas. I would guess that if one of us was shining shoes it would most likely be you cleaning my shoes in the airport while I'm flying between the two.

Not to get into a pissing contest, or compare a comprehensive list of assets, but you would lose handily.  So, don't give up your shine box just yet.  I will concede, the Carolinas' coast is nice -- we've enjoyed a lot of tennis and golf there.

There is no decision, let alone a quick decision. And who is this Taylor guy we are bringing in? Lastly, you do not need to start a new, and completely redundant, thread by copying something you have already posted in an an identical existing thread, dumbski.

There is a better way to try and make the point you just made.

It would not be a real competition until Geno got a bunch of snaps in Gailey's system, anyway. All this press obsession with fair competition.  Fitz has already got it down.  Let's face it, we have what we have, and Geno is younger, faster, has a better arm and did not go to school in the Ivy League, a death knell for QBs.  Gailey knows what Fitz brings. I think his expectations for Fitz are just as low as last year's Geno, which is backup level play (hopefully).  He prays Geno does not bring what he has been bringing.  But he also commented about some of the stuff Geno was asked to run and the kind of throws they asked him to make.  I think Gailey believes he can do something with Geno.  And like someone said earlier, everything they run for Geno can also be good for Petty down the road. Fitz is a mobile QB. and will be more of a statue after the broken leg.   With  our line that could be a frightening proposition.   I don't think Gailey has mystic visions about Geno rising to the top of the QB class.But if he can give him better options back there than MM did,  it might get us a few less INTs and a few more TDs.  It could be as modest an expectation as that.

Fitz isn't likely a worse option than Smith because he went to an Ivy League school, as though it was some type of curse. You've got the cart before the horse. Most Ivy League QBs are bad because they're typically untalented and this was among the only options for them; going to an Ivy League school doesn't make them bad.

Peyton Manning must be more of a miracle than I thought, because the only other Volunteers QBs with any NFL experience that I can name are Matt Simms, Eric Ainge, and Heath Shuler. Somehow going there didn't make Peyton a bad QB.

I don't have an opinion on it other than I want the best possible QB on the field. If that is Smith, fine. But he should have the job because he beat out a healthy Fitzpatrick, who is at least a legitimate starter (even if a low level one). Even that, though, doesn't guarantee any success. Truthfully he could be handed the job without beating Fitzpatrick out and still perform. I'm not betting my life savings on it, but one thing is not necessarily dependent upon the other.

All other things being equal, it's better for us if both perform well and Smith performs the better of the two. But that's just on paper. In reality I'd be happy with a game manager who doesn't blow it for a team that's otherwise pretty talented all over the field on both sides of the ball. Even if there are areas a little lacking, BFD every team has its weaker areas. With barely adequate - not great; barely adequate - QB play, this is a playoff roster. 

lGdKh7f.gif

Terrell Suggs falls 5 yards away from Brady, flag.

Jamie Collins or whoever the **** 95 is dives at geno's knee. Clean. An average athlete doesn't do that little hop that geno did there, and tears an ACL.

**** the pats

Love how you completely ignored what I said, and replied to someone else. What to scared to quote me directly? Btw, I gave you those quotes/summaries you so desire. Mind, like in my previous post, bringing any form of evidence from the press conference to support your argument? The only thing you have pretty much done in any of your posts on this topic is call me retarded. I must say your quite skilled at this topic of using ad hominem attacks to support your faulty argument. You'd have a much more compelling argument if you say, I don't know, used any form of evidence to support your stance besides the old short bus argument.

od2xJxF.gif

Fitz isn't likely a worse option than Smith because he went to an Ivy League school, as though it was some type of curse. You've got the cart before the horse. Most Ivy League QBs are bad because they're typically untalented and this was among the only options for them; going to an Ivy League school doesn't make them bad.

Peyton Manning must be more of a miracle than I thought, because the only other Volunteers QBs with any NFL experience that I can name are Matt Simms, Eric Ainge, and Heath Shuler. Somehow going there didn't make Peyton a bad QB.

I don't have an opinion on it other than I want the best possible QB on the field. If that is Smith, fine. But he should have the job because he beat out a healthy Fitzpatrick, who is at least a legitimate starter (even if a low level one). Even that, though, doesn't guarantee any success. Truthfully he could be handed the job without beating Fitzpatrick out and still perform. I'm not betting my life savings on it, but one thing is not necessarily dependent upon the other.

All other things being equal, it's better for us if both perform well and Smith performs the better of the two. But that's just on paper. In reality I'd be happy with a game manager who doesn't blow it for a team that's otherwise pretty talented all over the field on both sides of the ball. Even if there are areas a little lacking, BFD every team has its weaker areas. With barely adequate - not great; barely adequate - QB play, this is a playoff roster. 

Oh, I was actually joking about the Ivy league thing.  Bad joke.  My real point was for a fair competition that everyone screams about, Geno would need reps to catch up with Fitz in the knowledge department-as far as Gailey's playbook is concerned.  Fitz would have all the mental advantages, and Geno just the physical.  And  maybe Gailey expects Geno to be better than Fitz because of his physical abilities.  Still an all, my suspicion is that Gailey is only expecting modest improvement from Geno. He will talk him up, but the Jets are still going to draft another QB next year.  If Geno shows modest improvement, the team can have a good season.  I agree with you totally there.  A few less INTs and a few more completed TD drives could make a world of difference.  We stunk in the red zone last year.

Oh, I was actually joking about the Ivy league thing.  Bad joke.  My real point was for a fair competition that everyone screams about, Geno would need reps to catch up with Fitz in the knowledge department-as far as Gailey's playbook is concerned.  Fitz would have all the mental advantages, and Geno just the physical.  And  maybe Gailey expects Geno to be better than Fitz because of his physical abilities.  Still an all, my suspicion is that Gailey is only expecting modest improvement from Geno. He will talk him up, but the Jets are still going to draft another QB next year.  If Geno shows modest improvement, the team can have a good season.  I agree with you totally there.  A few less INTs and a few more completed TD drives could make a world of difference.  We stunk in the red zone last year.

Yeah, well last year we also stunk when we weren't in the red zone.

Right now, today, Smith is the only realistic option. Simms will be out of the league, Petty likely belongs starting games about as much as rookie Geno belonged starting games. Fitz is apparently worse off physically than I realized. He isn't all that great when healthy, though he'll have the rare game with impressive - if not great - numbers (even Smith has had one in each of his first 2 seasons while being a generally awful QB).

It may really come down to just Fitzpatrick's injury preventing any sort of competition over the summer, and the absence of a competition will therefore mean Smith gets all the first team reps instead of wasting some on a QB who's clearly holding a clipboard as a rookie, or either of 2 others who are unlikely to be on an NFL roster if there aren't injuries to enough other backups.

From that standpoint it's really the only move to make. That is, as long as Gailey and Bowles are willing to eat these words if Smith is clearly being outplayed by another. My guess is they will be, since I presume their goal in the end is to win games rather than see if Geno Smith can be an NFL starter.

Truthfully I hope Smith just needed the combination of better QB coaching plus better playcalling plus better players around him. Certainly anyone would benefit from those 3 simultaneous changes. Keeping my hopes up it will be more than just a nominal improvement. Because numbers and decision-making aside, his ball placement wasn't very good (even on a sizable number of his completions).

Archived