Jets Coordinator Rodgers Turns up Heat on Milliner

JetNation

Oh, that's what he meant when I responded to HIS post?

And about him not being ready, I may be out of the loop but do you have a ******* link?

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/05/how_does_jets_ryan_fitzpatrick_think_his_broken_le.html

Fitzpatrick has been limited to position and 7-on-7 drills (with no pass rush) because of a broken leg he sustained in mid-December. He feels much better now, but knows he likely won't fully participate in practice until training camp begins in late July. The Jets' training staff wants to take a precautionary approach with Fitzpatrick right now, and make sure he avoids even incidental contact that could happen in 11-on-11 periods.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turn up the heat is an understatement lol. The title could easily be, "Macaganan Rebuilds Secondary: Dee Millinier is Wally Pipped"

Wally Pipped ? Wally Pipp from what I have read, was a good baseball player, Dee Milliner Sucks and If I had to guess he will probably make the roster this year due to being a top ten pick then after this new staff sees more of him he will eventually be dumped.

And you interpret that as a no brainer you're an idiot for even thinking he's going to be able to go by the start of the season.

Nine year vet (or whatever) and he needs ota's training camp isn't enough.

9 year vets aren't exactly spry coming off broken legs.  It's not a matter of him grasping the playbook.  Dude knows Chan Gailey's system.  It's a matter of him being physically ready to handle the rigors of play.  Especially in a division with Suh, Cameron Wake, Chandler Jones, and Mario Williams.  No one knows yet exactly where he stands in that process.  He may be 100 % by the time preseason rolls around and this is a non-issue. 

We have been through this topic before. I said Dee is in serious danger of not making the team. I also said I would trade him for a 4th round pick in a heartbeat and a 5th after a few moments of thought.

Many of you scoffed at both of the above notions.

4 games of encouraging play...not world beater stuff like many of you make it out to be... buys you nothing in this league heading into the 3rd year. Except with Rex Ryan.

Buys you a guaranteed starting job if you are a QB.

Chan Gailey said that there will not be a QB competition and Geno is the starter. Are you suggesting he was naming Geno the starter of OTA's? People keep talking about "right now" as if Gailey said that the QB competition will start as soon as Fitz is healthy. He was asked point blank if there would be a competition during the pre-season when Fitz is back on the field, not if there would be one this week. His answer was no, there will not be a QB competition.

No I'm saying that Fitz isn't better than Geno, don't really see what he brings to the table to give him a start over Geno. Add in they are dealing with 2 QBs, one who should be developing and the other being what he is. So don't love either but at least one is still a prospect, the other is what he is. And historically it's nothing write home about. Which is why Fitz was signed to be the backup QB

I've never, ever gotten the NYJ invented theory that all NYJ QBs need to have competition otherwise they're coddled and will fail. On,y is required here, now. Nowhere else is this a requirement, only at MetLife. Waiting to see the outcry for competition in Tampa, Jac, Tenn, Minny, etc, etc.

Why is Geno Smith the only real option? Because he's younger? Has all of da physical talentz?

No, don't think that highly of Geno.

But Fitz sucks as badly as Geno sucks. Geno is the incumbent, Geno adds athleticism and can move, Geno at least may improve. Geno as a rookie won 8 games, Fitz has never won more than 6.

No I'm saying that Fitz isn't better than Geno, don't really see what he brings to the table to give him a start over Geno. Add in they are dealing with 2 QBs, one who should be developing and the other being what he is. So don't love either but at least one is still a prospect, the other is what he is. And historically it's nothing write home about. Which is why Fitz was signed to be the backup QB

I've never, ever gotten the NYJ invented theory that all NYJ QBs need to have competition otherwise they're coddled and will fail. On,y is required here, now. Nowhere else is this a requirement, only at MetLife. Waiting to see the outcry for competition in Tampa, Jac, Tenn, Minny, etc, etc.

You don't get why Jets fans almost always want competition?  I'll tell you why.  Far more often than not, their starting QB's are not very good.  A head to head QB competition during the pre-season is too often the only thing we'll ever get to see one of our QB's win.

You don't get why Jets fans almost always want competition?  I'll tell you why.  Far more often than not, their starting QB's are not very good.  A head to head QB competition during the pre-season is too often the only thing we'll ever get to see one of our QB's win.

:winking0001:  Good post. I remember the year Browning Nagle beat out O'Brien. After the Atlanta game(almost 400 yds. passing) I was pumped! But, alas, that didn't work out either, and by the end of the year, we were watching Jeff Blake, who turned out to have a nice career. Think he made a pro-bowl with Cinny, right? Was like a 6th-7th rd pick. Why can't we ever get this right? :wild:

You don't get why Jets fans almost always want competition? I'll tell you why. Far more often than not, their starting QB's are not very good. A head to head QB competition during the pre-season is too often the only thing we'll ever get to see one of our QB's win.

That's half the equation though. What good would it be to let any of the sh*t that was the roster compete with Sanchez? What good is letting Fitz compete with Geno going to do the team? Especially if they view Fitz as nothing more than a competent backup? This isn't Blake, an unknown who had no video. We're talking about a player who everyone knows what he is.

Again only with the Jets is a competition going to help,the winner magically become a better player. Will there be competition in Tenn, Jax, Tampa? Did the colts need competition for Luck? Manning? Favre? Ben? Rivers? Eli? On and on.

That's half the equation though. What good would it be to let any of the sh*t that was the roster compete with Sanchez? What good is letting Fitz compete with Geno going to do the team? Especially if they view Fitz as nothing more than a competent backup?

Again only with the Jets is a competition going to help,the winner magically become a better player. Will there be competition in Tenn, Jax, Tampa? Did the colts need competition for Luck? Manning? Favre? Ben? Rivers? Eli? On and on.

So between Luck, Manning, Favre, Ben, Rivers and Eli...which one does Geno most favorably compare to?

So between Luck, Manning, Favre, Ben, Rivers and Eli...which one does Geno most favorably compare to?

What does this have to do with why a QB in NY needs competition for some reason? Would you come up with a reason with Mariota, Winston, Bortles, Carr, Bradford, etc? How many starting QBs in the NFL are a product of completion?

Competition may work at other positions but the QB has to be in place.

What does this have to do with why a QB in NY needs competition for some reason? Would you come up with a reason with Mariota, Winston, Bortles, Carr, Bradford, etc? How many starting QBs in the NFL are a product of completion?

Rex tried it with Sanchez, then Rex tried it with Geno...it failed miserably both times.  I was hoping Bowles would have a different approach.  But yeah, based on how well it's worked out so far, why not do it again?

Jets need the competition because Geno sucks and it could / would show a different QB is better and should start.

If you just hand him the job then if he does not work hard it does matter to him, he still has the starting Job.

What's funny is how when Idzik first came on to the scene, everybody on this board was gloating about how he advocated competition, and now that he's gone and Geno is proven to suck, all of a sudden competition isn't such a great thing.

So which is it - is competition good or bad? You can't have it both ways.

No, don't think that highly of Geno.

But Fitz sucks as badly as Geno sucks. Geno is the incumbent, Geno adds athleticism and can move, Geno at least may improve. Geno as a rookie won 8 games, Fitz has never won more than 6.

LOL Fitz does NOT suck as badly as Geno.  Did you ever see Fitz throw an interception to his own player or throw three picks in a quarter? Nope.

Aaron Rogers and Russel Wilson for a start.

We have never had a fair QB competition here.  In every case the outcome was rigged in favor of the QB who the GM wanted.  Every time it looks like we are finally going to get one then the chorus of a$$holes step forward to whine loudly in support of the notion that QB competitions are bad.

Geno sucks.  It is his 3rd year in the league and he has sucked big hairy donkey balls for every microsecond that he has played in this league.

Stop with this idea of protecting his fragile ego.  If he wins the job fair and square then so be it.  I am all behind him in that case.  If not then let him sit or if he continues to be horrendous then let him sit for some other team.  No more coddling these a$$holes.

P.S. i am not a fan of Fitz either but there are different level of suckage in this league and Geno has at least an order of magnitude more of it that Fitz on his worst day.  I just don't think we need much more than a Trent Dilfer in order to be competitive given  the strength of this defense.  Geno may be sufficiently horrible to overcome even that head start.

The Jets could be looking to trade their former first round No. 9 pick after picking up both Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie in the offseason.

According to ESPN’s Rich Cimini, Dee Milliner is on the chopping black for the Jets, he will be battling for a roster spot but a trade might end up being the end result for the corner back.Milliner suffered a devastating Achilles tendon injury last season, and is still recovering after his surgery. Now he will have to compete with not only Revis and Cromartie as well as Buster Skrine.

It’s been seven months since his surgery and was still very limited during OTAs last week and it is unsure whether he will even be ready for training camp. One other option the Jets might look to use is placing Milliner on the physically-unable-to-perform its to start the season.

Cutting Milliner would make little sense for the Jets since he has two year left on his contract and is guaranteed $3.7 million.Luckily, the Jets are in a good position where they will have options and if they are going to wait for Milliner to make a return they have plenty of backup at he position.

> http://nyc.suntimes.com/new-york-jets/7/86/204816/report-jets-look-trade-dee-milliner

Aaron Rogers and Russel Wilson for a start.

We have never had a fair QB competition here.  In every case the outcome was rigged in favor of the QB who the GM wanted.  Every time it looks like we are finally going to get one then the chorus of a$$holes step forward to whine loudly in support of the notion that QB competitions are bad.

Geno sucks.  It is his 3rd year in the league and he has sucked big hairy donkey balls for every microsecond that he has played in this league.

Stop with this idea of protecting his fragile ego.  If he wins the job fair and square then so be it.  I am all behind him in that case.  If not then let him sit or if he continues to be horrendous then let him sit for some other team.  No more coddling these a$$holes.

P.S. i am not a fan of Fitz either but there are different level of suckage in this league and Geno has at least an order of magnitude more of it that Fitz on his worst day.  I just don't think we need much more than a Trent Dilfer in order to be competitive given  the strength of this defense.  Geno may be sufficiently horrible to overcome even that head start.

Rodgers sat behind a HOF QB, there wasn't a competition. Never has had competition once Favre was dumped.

Wilson won the job by outplaying a FA QB in camp. No one was an incumbent. Then after getting the starting job as a rookie never faced competition again. Exactly the same scenario as Geno

I'm asking a simple question, name the starting QBs who had others brought in as completion after they were named starters and benefited from it.

Again none of this has to do with a love of Geno. Just its been said for the last few years here, that these guys need to have a 2nd guy push the. Never see it anywhere else, when did this become a magical way to develop QBs?

LOL Fitz does NOT suck as badly as Geno. Did you ever see Fitz throw an interception to his own player or throw three picks in a quarter? Nope.

You never watched Fitz if you don't think he's thrown god awful INTS. Has Geno thrown 5 in a game? Fitz has, Geno hasn't. And for all its worth Peyton has thrown 6, so has Favre, Namath and countless others are on the 5 and 6 INT lists. Means squat

Have you ever seen Fitz win more than 6 games? Has nothing to do with Geno. Fitz isn't good enough to cry over him being a backup

BTW, have to ask, how do you throw an interception to you own player?

Jets need the competition because Geno sucks and it could / would show a different QB is better and should start.

If you just hand him the job then if he does not work hard it does matter to him, he still has the starting Job.

Good, now name all the QBs who are franchise QBs or solid starters because a scrub QB was brought in to compete.

This whole he needs someone what can take his job never happens anywhere but will somehow transform Geno.

Get a better QB and give him the job would be great. But creating an open completion to make the starter better is a completely different plan.

Rex tried it with Sanchez, then Rex tried it with Geno...it failed miserably both times.  I was hoping Bowles would have a different approach.  But yeah, based on how well it's worked out so far, why not do it again?

Problem is starting QBs are in short supply and they're not usually available other than to draft one. Looking at it realistically a journeyman, mediocre QB who has never won more than 6 games is the best backup we've had since we had Vinny and Chad together? I'll bet Bowles will say there is a competition but unless Geno really sucks big time it's all talk.

Good, now name all the QBs who are franchise QBs or solid starters because a scrub QB was brought in to compete.

This whole he needs someone what can take his job never happens anywhere but will somehow transform Geno.

Get a better QB and give him the job would be great. But creating an open completion to make the starter better is a completely different plan.

What you will never understand is that Geno is the scrub!

God, I wish JL had never closed.

What you will never understand is that Geno is the scrub!

God, I wish JL had never closed.

Follow what I said instead of acting clueless and whining about JL, whatever that was. I've said more than once that Geno isn't good, just Fitz is not better. Unless you can find it stop trying to be a the board monitor when you're the one who can't read or comprehend a simple idea. Simple logic actually. Something that you will never understand apparently is that just because Geno isn't a franchise QB or is a scrub it doesn't change the fact that Fitz isn't either. Has never won more than 6 games. Something a rookie scrub Geno bettered with 8 wins.

You just don't get it.

Naming Smith starter now has NO BEARING as to who plays QB for the Jets in 2015. Smith is well aware, and his sound bites validate it, that he can EASILY lose the job and IF ANYTHING has to perform with a proven vet breathing down his neck. By naming a starter now, all it REALLY does is take away another stupid storyline for the NY media to speculate about and nag the coaches during pressers. One less narrative to repeatedly explain to a stubborn media.

O'Donnell was named starter in '97

Foley was named starter in '98

Testaverde was named starter in '99

Vinny was named starter in 2002

Chad was TC starter in 2008

None remained starter for that respective season cited. Naming Geno starter is, for some of you to really understand, nothing more than, a term I learned from JI, a Fart in the wind.

Follow what I said instead of acting clueless and whining about JL, whatever that was. I've said more than once that Geno isn't good, just Fitz is not better. Unless you can find it stop trying to be a the board monitor when you're the one who can't read or comprehend a simple idea. Simple logic actually. Something that you will never understand apparently is that just because Geno isn't a franchise QB or is a scrub it doesn't change the fact that Fitz isn't either. Has never won more than 6 games. Something a rookie scrub Geno bettered with 8 wins.

Oh very nice, now go back and look at Geno big 8 wins his rookie year and see how many were given to him or luck.  Fitz was having a pretty good year last year till he broke his leg.  Look at their stats last year.  There is a massive amount of ways to judge a QB and wins is way down that list.

Once you have done that then explain the Bills game to us all. 

I am not saying Fitz is a great QB but he damn sure is a hell of lot better then Geno, as is 32 other QB's in the NFL.

You just don't get it.

Naming Smith starter now has NO BEARING as to who plays QB for the Jets in 2015. Smith is well aware, and his sound bites validate it, that he can EASILY lose the job and IF ANYTHING has to perform with a proven vet breathing down his neck. By naming a starter now, all it REALLY does is take away another stupid storyline for the NY media to speculate about and nag the coaches during pressers. One less narrative to repeatedly explain to a stubborn media.

O'Donnell was named starter in '97

Foley was named starter in '98

Testaverde was named starter in '99

Vinny was named starter in 2002

Chad was TC starter in 2008

None remained starter for that respective season cited. Naming Geno starter is like, for some of you to really understand is nothing more than, a term I learned from JI, a Fart in the wind.

I know Bowles just changed it but if you watched Chan's presser there was no doubt Geno was going to start week one unless he got injured.   

I also don't think that there would have been any more media coverage or questions if there was a starter named or not.  The media would be worse, questioning why they named Geno the starter when he sucks.  Ever bad day Geno had would be followed by questions relating to him being named the starter this early.

I know Bowles just changed it but if you watched Chan's presser there was no doubt Geno was going to start week one unless he got injured.   

I also don't think that there would have been any more media coverage or questions if there was a starter named or not.  The media would be worse, questioning why they named Geno the starter when he sucks.  Ever bad day Geno had would be followed by questions relating to him being named the starter this early.

Wrong. I doubted it and called his bluff. It's merely a ploy for the media to STFU. Parcells Media relations 101.

Oh very nice, now go back and look at Geno big 8 wins his rookie year and see how many were given to him or luck. Fitz was having a pretty good year last year till he broke his leg. Look at their stats last year. There is a massive amount of ways to judge a QB and wins is way down that list.

I am not saying Fitz is a great QB but he damn sure is a hell of lot better then Geno, as is 32 other QB's in the NFL.

Question, because the he was lucky, those wins aren't because of Geno is pointless and silly. It's when you can't think of anything. Now how many of those 8 losses weren't his alone? You don't know anymore than you know about his wins. Or any of Fitzs 6 wins for that matter.

You want to continue arguing with someone who had no love of Geno just to argue, go for it. As for the Bills game, explain how Fitz once threw 5 in a game and it's relevance. Or how Peyton's 6 pick game is relevant. Or Namaths, etc, etc.

Oh very nice, now go back and look at Geno big 8 wins his rookie year and see how many were given to him or luck.  Fitz was having a pretty good year last year till he broke his leg.  Look at their stats last year.  There is a massive amount of ways to judge a QB and wins is way down that list.

Right now, today, Geno is the starter.  Fitz is still hurt.  By opening day that may change if Fitz gets healthy and outplays Geno.  Why are your panties in a bunch?

Right now, today, Geno is the starter.  Fitz is still hurt.  By opening day that may change if Fitz gets healthy and outplays Geno.  Why are your panties in a bunch?

And better yet when someone says Geno is the only real alternative right now, that he's not great just the best option today does it lead to thinking you're in love with Geno?

And not only a whine but insults?

LOL Fitz does NOT suck as badly as Geno.  Did you ever see Fitz throw an interception to his own player or throw three picks in a quarter? Nope.

It is true.  I don't think that Fitzpatrick has ever thrown 3 INTs in a quarter.  He has produced the following gems though:

December 11, 2005 Ryan Fitzpatrick throws 2 INTS in the 2nd quarter and an additional 2 INTS in the 4th quarter.  Lest anyone think this is an anomaly, he throws another in the 3rd quarter for good measure. 

December 26, 2010, Ryan Fitzpatrick fumbles in the 1st quarter.  Throws an INT in the 2nd quarter.  Fumbles and throws and INT in the 3rd quarter.  In the 4th quarter he merely throws one more INT.

January 1, 2012, Ryan Fitzpatrick's 2nd half drives produce the following results:  7 plays punt, INT, INT, 3 and out, INT, INT.

September 9, 2012 Ryan Fitzpatrick's first two drives against the Jets result in INTs.  Later in the game he throws a pick 6 to Cromartie. 

People see that the Texans went 9-7 and think the Jets can make the playoffs with Fitzpatrick.  Maybe they can, but Fitzpatrick and Mallet were .500 with the Texans last year.  Case Keenum was 2-0. 

Archived