The Jets are Heading to London…Will you be Joining Them?

JetNation

London-Eye-2009

By Glenn Naughton

Due to a flurry of off-season moves by New York Jets GM Mike Maccagnan, the start of the 2015 NFL season can’t get here soon enough for Gang Green fans as expectations are on the rise.

One early regular season game many supporters have circled on their calendars will mark the longest road trip the Jets have ever taken…a week four match-up against the division rival Miami Dolphins in London’s Wembley Stadium.

JetNation.com has partnered with Tumlare travel to set up a travel package that includes airfare, hotel, day-trips and transportation to and from the stadium.  For those fans who plan to attend and have never visited England’s capitol city, here are a few trip tips you may want to take advantage of.

London boasts some of the world’s most famous attractions that seemingly appear in any movie  or television show set in the city.  Whether it’s the iconic London Eye, Trafalgar Square, St. Paul’s Cathedral or Tower Bridge…often mistaken by tourists for the world-famous London Bridge.

Tower Bridge

Tower Bridge is far more captivating than the rather ordinary London Bridge which, by the way, if you’re interested in seeing, would require a trip back to the USA as the original bridge now resides in Arizona.

Loaded with history, you could easily spend a lifetime in London and not see all that it has to offer. One lesser-known highlight however is Winston Churchill’s Cabinet War Rooms.  The Prime Minister’s hidden headquarters beneath the streets of London just a few blocks from Parliment, the World War II nerve center has been incredibly well preserved and opened to the public since 1984.

See the highlights in just a couple of hours, or spend the day taking in Churhill’s rise to power and fame all the way through to his passing in 1965 and learn about his long-planned funeral that was appropriately dubbed “Operation Hope Not”.  This should be at the top of any history buff’s list of things to do while in London

If you’re looking to take in a memorable meal then go with the traditional fish and chips with a side of mushy peas or some bangers and mash in one of London’s countless restaurants or pubs.

If you’ve already given those a shot and are open to something a bit different, try the unassuming Southern Indian restaurant that goes by the name of “Rasa” on Dering Street.

Originally opened as a vegetarian restaurant, meat dishes were added to the menu over the years and the quaint side-street eatery has earned a reputation not only for amazing food, but fantastic customer service.  Try the banana boli…you won’t regret it.

If you’re not feeling quite that adventurous and would prefer some more familiar options, Bar Remo offers some of London’s best Italian food.  Whether it’s a pasta dish, a chicken dish or just a glass of wine or two, you can’t go wrong with this option.

Speaking of wine, two excellent options for those who love their crushed grapes would be Gordon’s Wine Bar, the oldest  wine bar in London or the Cork and Bottle.

gordon-s-wine-bar-uitgaan-londen-1(p-club,15313)(c-0)

Established in 1890, Gordon’s does their best to preserve that old feel.  Inside, you’ll find dimly lit cramped quarters that some consider undesirable, but others see as an effort to maintain the bar’s nostalgic feel.  If you’re a bit claustrophobic you could always step outside on to Gordon’s courtyard/patio, or take a trip to the aforementioned Cork and Bottle.

Located in Leicester Square, this wine bar/restaurant can be an incredible place to go with friends if you plan ahead.  They stock thousands of bottles of wine and offer some very good food options, but their character  lies in their “alcove” seating.

Several tables dotted along the perimeter of the bar that house tables capable of seating anywhere from 4 to 10 diners, depending on which table you reserve. While you’re still in a popular night spot, calling ahead to reserve an alcove isolates you and your party to enjoy each other’s company in a private but unrestricted environment.

Just after a few pints?  That’s great because the options are limitless as you’ll likely find a pub within a stone’s throw no matter where you are in the city.  It may be your first time in London, but why not go to a pub you’ll recognize?

Fans of the classic London-based movie “Snatch” will want to pay a visit to The Jolly Gardeners.  Referred to in the film as “The Drowning Trout”, this German themed pub is a bit off the beaten path so you may want to get a cab, but it looks just as it did in the classic scene featuring Vinnie Jones, so stop in and have a few pints, but leave your Desert Eagle at home.

Bullet-Tooth Tony Enjoying a Pint at the Drowing Trout, i.e. The Jolly Gardeners.

Bullet-Tooth Tony Enjoying a Pint at the Drowing Trout, i.e. The Jolly Gardeners.

Also Consider:

The Thames- Spend a few hours walking the south bank of the River Thames and hit a few bars or restaurants along the way.  “The Anchor” is a pub that’s fairly “touristy”, but a London landmark as famed writer Samuel Pepys sat and watched London burn from there in the great fire of 1666.  Also a filming location for Tom Cruise’s Mission Impossible.

Borough Market- One of London’s oldest landmarks, initially established by the Romans and is said to have existed as early as the year 1014. If you like good cheese, Neil’s Yard serves up some of the best and freshest options in London.  Also limitless food options prepared on site throughout the market.

Royal Albert Hall-  The only venue ever to have the Beatles and Rolling Stones on the same bill on the same night.  Need I say more?

Jets vs. Dolphins….we hope to see you there.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
OFDSdq1ZqPE

View the full article

My buddy got them online on the first day of release, I'm in the UK anyway.

Yeah, I remembered you saying that a while back.  I got some calls from a few friends who wanted to go to the game but didn't realize how fast tix would sell out.  Called me a few days after they went on sale and said they couldn't get any unless they forked over a lot more money than they'd like since they're not die hard fans as much as they are curious to see it live.

Yeah, I remembered you saying that a while back. I got some calls from a few friends who wanted to go to the game but didn't realize how fast tix would sell out. Called me a few days after they went on sale and said they couldn't get any unless they forked over a lot more money than they'd like since they're not die hard fans as much as they are curious to see it live.

Yeah there is a lot of that in the UK, people say they are Steelers, Pats, 49ers, fans, but most have never seen a game. It's very popular here but, most are bandwagon jumpers.

The majority just want to see an NFL team live. I've never bothered with Wembly tix before but since, it's the Jets how can I not.

Yeah there is a lot of that in the UK, people say they are Steelers, Pats, 49ers, fans, but most have never seen a game. It's very popular here but, most are bandwagon jumpers.

The majority just want to see an NFL team live. I've never bothered with Wembly tix before but since, it's the Jets how can I not.

I know I saw Metallica there a while back but can't remember if I've ever gone for anything else....good venue.

NFL is growing out there slowly but surely.  You think you guys are gonna' end up with the Jaguars?

I know I saw Metallica there a while back but can't remember if I've ever gone for anything else....good venue.

NFL is growing out there slowly but surely.  You think you guys are gonna' end up with the Jaguars?

They are sort of half-heartledy pushing the Jags as the unofficial UK team over at nfluk but it seems like a pointless idea to me. Most of the UK fans I speak have already chosen a team and have been following them for years. 

Like if they went a head with a UK franchise (bad idea imo) I'd still be a Jets fan and imagine other UK fans that have invested years of dedication into a team in what is still very much a niche sport over here won't be switching either.

They are sort of half-heartledy pushing the Jags as the unofficial UK team over at nfluk but it seems like a pointless idea to me. Most of the UK fans I speak have already chosen a team and have been following them for years. 

Like if they went a head with a UK franchise (bad idea imo) I'd still be a Jets fan and imagine other UK fans that have invested years of dedication into a team in what is still very much a niche sport over here won't be switching either.

I spoke to my father in law and he said he heard something an issue with the NFL not only wanting to play at Wembley, but insisting the England national soccer to no longer use the facility once an NFL team is using it permanently.  I can't see them agreeing to do that.

I spoke to my father in law and he said he heard something an issue with the NFL not only wanting to play at Wembley, but insisting the England national soccer to no longer use the facility once an NFL team is using it permanently. I can't see them agreeing to do that.

Then it's not happening, Wembley is the spiritual home of English football.

Then it's not happening, Wembley is the spiritual home of English football.

If push comes to shove, I think the league will back down if they want Wembley.

• 1 month later...

Bump....any new additions to London? Would be awesome to do a JN meet at a pub in London.

Glenn - I am not making this trip after all. I really wanted to and I was hoping the schedule would break my way. My son has a home game that weekend. Since he only has two years of college ball left, it is going to take an act of congress for me to miss one of his games. I was hoping he would have a bye week that week, it didn't work out that way unfortunately.

Glenn - I am not making this trip after all. I really wanted to and I was hoping the schedule would break my way. My son has a home game that weekend. Since he only has two years of college ball left, it is going to take an act of congress for me to miss one of his games. I was hoping he would have a bye week that week, it didn't work out that way unfortunately.

That's rough..would've been awesome to hang out in London for a bit.  Booked my flight the other day and game tix purchased...should be an incredible week.

Any chance that the NFL might pick other English towns to have games at (although I can imagine it varies due to grounds maintanence.) For instance, anybody in the league office been to the Etihad in Manchester? MCTID!

After that that deal they struck to play at Sh*te Hart Lane, I doubt it.

And I'll be there, had to resort to the secondary market though, and with the weakness of the Euro? Ouch.

After that that deal they struck to play at Sh*te Hart Lane, I doubt it.

And I'll be there, had to resort to the secondary market though, and with the weakness of the Euro? Ouch.

The new stadium looks incredible though...went to WHL once for my only premier league game and it looked like it could use a little work.

Good lord, you guys can do better than the Jags.

Just booked the flight this week.Got a pretty good price. Still need the tix, though. I'll check StubHubUK the next few weeks. They're still having over 800 tickets for sale, so I'm not much in a hurry at the moment. Maybe they'll get cheaper as the game nears.

Just booked the flight this week.Got a pretty good price. Still need the tix, though. I'll check StubHubUK the next few weeks. They're still having over 800 tickets for sale, so I'm not much in a hurry at the moment. Maybe they'll get cheaper as the game nears.

Good luck...prices are insane right now.  A few buddies of mine had planned on going but bailed when they saw the secondary market prices.

I am heading out there with Fireman Ed and a couple other guys…. we are going to a pub Saturday night with a ton of Jets fans - I will post the details if you would like. Would be great to meet you. 

Yeah man, let me know and I'll see what I can do.  I'll only be out there for ten days and I'm gonna' have to hit all my favorite London pubs/restaurants while I'm out there.  Would be great to get together with some Jets fans before the game.

• 1 month later...

Anyone who's looking to get tickets ... more are now on sale on Ticketmaster! I just got a ticket, so I'll be going to the game! :D

Prices are not the crazy club ones, mine was a £45 ticket, there are some £40 and some more expensive (~ £70).

Good luck!!!

Anyone who's looking to get tickets ... more are now on sale on Ticketmaster! I just got a ticket, so I'll be going to the game! :D

Prices are not the crazy club ones, mine was a £45 ticket, there are some £40 and some more expensive (~ £70).

Good luck!!!

I already have my tickets but looked last night out of curiosity...prices are wide-ranging but there are some better deals than I remember seeing a few months ago.

I already have my tickets but looked last night out of curiosity...prices are wide-ranging but there are some better deals than I remember seeing a few months ago.

I think these will be unsold / unallocated season tickets, or something like that. Since the initial sale in January all I've seen has been secondary market tickets where they want 3x face value.

I think these will be unsold / unallocated season tickets, or something like that. Since the initial sale in January all I've seen has been secondary market tickets where they want 3x face value.

I thought it was odd yesterday that there was a ticket in the UD for 200 quid, then a field level on the 40 yd line for 240. 

There is now a small chance I'll be going to this.  I checked yesterday and saw one which I think was LL corner endzone for something like 70-80 Euro (I was doing multiple things at once and the website was being wonky, but I think that's what it was).  This was for a single ticket, though, if that matters.  I'm going to firm up my plans over the next week or so but may actually go.

Archived