Conquering Hero Ryan Fitzpatrick makes gallant first appearance at OTA's, throws TD to Shaq Evans

Jetsfan80

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/51535/new-york-jets-ota-observations-ryan-fitzpatrick-returns-to-team-drills

New York Jets' OTA observations: Ryan Fitzpatrick returns to team drills

Rich Cimini

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Observations from the New York Jets' fifth OTA (organized team activity), the second open to the media:

1. Backup quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, limited throughout the spring as he recovered from a broken leg, participated in team drills for the first time. He took reps with the backups, demonstrating a strong grasp of the offense -- which is what you'd expect from a guy who spent three years in Chan Gailey's system. Todd Bowles said he'd like to see more velocity from Fitzpatrick, but he expects that to happen as he veteran quarterback rebuilds his stamina. Fitzpatrick had an interception on a ball that was batted at the line of scrimmage. His highlight was a nice pass to Shaq Evans on a rollout to his right, delivering the ball in a tight window a nanosecond before cornerback Darrin Walls arrived on the scene. Evans turned and ran for a long touchdown.

2. It wasn't a particularly crisp day for quarterback Geno Smith, and that's being kind. He struggled with his accuracy from the outset, even in positional drills against "air." He was a split-second late in delivering the ball on some routes, which can be expected with a new offense. At times, his ball placement was off, even on completed passes. He also took a delay-of-game penalty with under 30 seconds remaining in a two-minute drill -- a big no-no. Smith had a funny, self-deprecating quote after practice, one that could apply to his day: "We always talk about having short memories as quarterbacks. Mine has to be one of the shortest in history, just to put some of the things behind me." He was referring to his first two seasons, of course, not just one OTA practice.

3. A quick thought on Bowles' latest comments on the quarterback situation, which contradicted Chan Gailey's remarks from last week: It's deja vu all over again. Didn't the Jets have the same competition/non-competition issue last season with Rex Ryan and John Idzik? Come on, fellas, it's not that hard to deliver a message.

4. The two-field practice regimen is a great idea, one that Bowles adopted from his previous boss, Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians. He splits the team into starters/key reserves and everybody else, allowing more players to get more reps. It eliminates idle time for players and it allows the coaches to do more teaching and more evaluating than in a conventional setup. The only downside is that it's hard for beat writers to see what's happening on the No. 2 field, far off in the distance. Such problems we have.

5. Oday Aboushi worked exclusively with the starters at right guard. Incumbent Willie Colon, still getting over some knee soreness, received what he jokingly referred to as "an old man's rest day." One thing about Bowles: He likes to do a lot of rotating, especially on the offensive line. It's not unusual to see two or three starters working together with two or three backups. One interesting note: Second-year guard Dakota Dozier got some work at center, behind Nick Mangold. It seems like they're holding auditions for the backup job.

6. First-round pick Leonard Williams worked with the first- and second-team defensive lines. Don't read too much into that because, as you may have heard, the two best linemen weren't in attendance. Muhammad Wilkerson is skipping voluntary workouts because of a contract dispute and Sheldon Richardson is staying away on some days because ... well, just because. It's hard to get a good read on Williams in non-contact drills, but he has impressed the coaches with his maturity in the classroom and overall approach to the job. That's what you want to hear about a rookie.

7. One of the best parts of these OTAs is watching Darrelle Revis cover Brandon Marshall. They're highly competitive players, and it shows up even on the practice field. In a spirited two-minute drill, Revis "tackled" Marshall near the first-down marker, resulting in a controversial spot -- one that fired up Revis and Marshall and players from both units. Bowles said he likes their "zest for the game."

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would it be surprising?

Because I figure the Jets will carry six WRs, and Marshall, Decker, Kerley, D. Smith, Owusu, Enunwa, Graham, and Posey are all probably currently ahead of him.

Why would it be surprising?

Because I figure the Jets will carry six WRs, and Marshall, Decker, Kerley, D. Smith, Owusu, Enunwa, Graham, and Posey are all probably currently ahead of him.

Based strictly on WR ability he is probably ahead of some of those guys.  The biggest problem is the lack of special teams.  Powell (Walt, not Bilal) returns punts.  Graham, Owusu and Hakim return kicks. Owusu, Graham and Hakim are gunners and Enunwa is supposedly good on coverage as well.  If they have Kerley return punts and use Smith as a gunner that alleviates some of the responsibilities, but it still seems like he'd have to beat out all the guys that return kicks to make the team.  I know that kick returner is a dying job, but who is going to do it if Evans makes the team?

Based strictly on WR ability he is probably ahead of some of those guys.  The biggest problem is the lack of special teams.  Powell (Walt, not Bilal) returns punts.  Graham, Owusu and Hakim return kicks. Owusu, Graham and Hakim are gunners and Enunwa is supposedly good on coverage as well.  If they have Kerley return punts and use Smith as a gunner that alleviates some of the responsibilities, but it still seems like he'd have to beat out all the guys that return kicks to make the team.  I know that kick returner is a dying job, but who is going to do it if Evans makes the team?

He might be ahead of a couple based solely on WR skills, but I still don't think he'd be top six in that scenario. But I agree with you about special teams, and that's definitely going to be a factor in the last couple spots. I doubt they want Kerley and Smith on specials too much (even if Smith is supposed to be excellent there), preferring to save their talents for the offense.

Conquering hero threw a pick that the OP conviently glossed over.

And why are Bowles and Gailey not on the same page? Do they talk at all? Does Bowles pay attention to offense at all?

Fitzmagic:  1 TD, 1 INT.  Recovering nicely off a broken leg and slowly getting back his velocity.

Geno:  Delay of game during a 2 minute drill and throwing inaccurate passes when there is no defender present.  Then claims he needs to "put mistakes behind him", much like when Mark Sanchez said, regarding turnovers, that he needed to "Just stop."

JiF:  "Blah blah blah he's never won."

Yep, I'm all in on Fitzmagic.

I am wondering what has Owusu and Posey done to deserve being rated above Evans.

It is still early days. But if Evans can even do a half way decent job of fixing some of his concentration issues and hands he will be hard to drop from this team even though the people who drafted him are gone.

I am wondering what has Owusu and Posey done to deserve being rated above Evans.

It is still early days. But if Evans can even do a half way decent job of fixing some of his concentration issues and hands he will be hard to drop from this team even though the people who drafted him are gone.

Caught the ball in an NFL game?  IIRC, you are on record as not liking the trade, but this regime has gone after Posey twice (Maccagnan drafted him with the 5th pick in the 3rd round in 2012 with Houston and traded for him here).  Gailey's regime drafted Graham in Buffalo with the following pick.  They are both more "their guy" than Owusu or Evans.

It all means NOTHING-Geno Smith has a bigger upside and should be the starter-Ryan Fitzpatrick is a bum-In fact I'm in the middle of doing the numbers on every game that Geno Smith threw at least 2 TDs and completed over 60% of his passes as well as won the game and when I add all of that stuff up it will PROVE beyond any shadow of doubt that he is a pro bowl talent - just like he says he is.

Caught the ball in an NFL game?  IIRC, you are on record as not liking the trade, but this regime has gone after Posey twice (Maccagnan drafted him with the 5th pick in the 3rd round in 2012 with Houston and traded for him here).  Gailey's regime drafted Graham in Buffalo with the following pick.  They are both more "their guy" than Owusu or Evans.

So we are talking Posey. If that's the classification than Clyde Gates should outrank them all. Why is he NOT on the team. IIRC Posey had one catch for 30 yards all of last season.

I understand that Posey and Graham may have Godfather's but how long do we have to live with these guys if they were infact blunders or not as good.  You have to remember Graham was cut from his previous team.

Fitzmagic: 1 TD, 1 INT. Recovering nicely off a broken leg and slowly getting back his velocity.

Geno: Delay of game during a 2 minute drill and throwing inaccurate passes when there is no defender present. Then claims he needs to "put mistakes behind him", much like when Mark Sanchez said, regarding turnovers, that he needed to "Just stop."

JiF: "Blah blah blah he's never won."

So Geno didn't turn it over and conquering hero did?

It all means NOTHING-Geno Smith has a bigger upside and should be the starter-Ryan Fitzpatrick is a bum-In fact I'm in the middle of doing the numbers on every game that Geno Smith threw at least 2 TDs and completed over 60% of his passes as well as won the game and when I add all of that stuff up it will PROVE beyond any shadow of doubt that he is a pro bowl talent - just like he says he is.

Shouldn't be too hard. It's only happened twice.

Walt Powell is an intriguing guy. I liked what I saw from him, yes, he did make me nervous, but he had some catch & go qualities I liked a lot. Seems to go from 0-60 pretty fast which is important.

WRs at the back end of Bowles roster won't make the team if they don't contribute on Specials. Bowles comes from the Parcells tree, special teams are really important & ours were some of the worst in the league last year. Specials can win 2-3 games a year for you.

Walt Powell is an intriguing guy. I liked what I saw from him, yes, he did make me nervous, but he had some catch & go qualities I liked a lot. Seems to go from 0-60 pretty fast which is important.

WRs at the back end of Bowles roster won't make the team if they don't contribute on Specials. Bowles comes from the Parcells tree, special teams are really important & ours were some of the worst in the league last year. Specials can win 2-3 games a year for you.

At first I was shaking my head "yes" I agree with what Jetster said there and then I stopped and thought about it and was going to do one of those smarty pants "Fixed" posts by changing the last line to "Specials USED to be able to win 2-3 games a year for you" Until they took the return game out of the kickoffs-it's just like Westhoff was saying how what he did doesn't exist anymore

Fitzmagic:  1 TD, 1 INT.  Recovering nicely off a broken leg and slowly getting back his velocity.

Geno:  Delay of game during a 2 minute drill and throwing inaccurate passes when there is no defender present.  Then claims he needs to "put mistakes behind him", much like when Mark Sanchez said, regarding turnovers, that he needed to "Just stop."

JiF:  "Blah blah blah he's never won."

The fact that you call him Fitzmagic tells me all I need to know about your objectivity. 

So we are talking Posey. If that's the classification than Clyde Gates should outrank them all. Why is he NOT on the team. IIRC Posey had one catch for 30 yards all of last season.

I understand that Posey and Graham may have Godfather's but how long do we have to live with these guys if they were infact blunders or not as good.  You have to remember Graham was cut from his previous team.

That one catch is more than Evans got.  Evans was in prime position to make the team and was falling on his face.  You talk about blunders but want to chat up Evans?  He was the most disappointing early in camp and then got hurt.  Posey may be useless, but it is obvious that Maccagnan likes him.  Maccagnan being the GM and all would seem to make that rather important.  I also mentioned Graham.  These guys will be more likley to stick with their blunders than Idzik's. Owusu plays specials.  If Evans doesn't he is going to have a tough road to make the roster with Marshall, Decker, Kerley and Smith basically guaranteed roster spots.  He will be hoping some of these guys get hurt.

Scoring a touchdown in OTAs is like getting a free donut on free donut day. You just kind of have to show up.

And what would getting a delay of game on an OTA 2 minute drill and misfiring to uncovered receivers constitute? 

We're talking lesser of 2 evils here.  That's Fitz. 

And you're just mad that Darrin Walls gave up not only a completion but a TD to Shaq Evans.  Ouch.

That one catch is more than Evans got.  Evans was in prime position to make the team and was falling on his face.  You talk about blunders but want to chat up Evans?  He was the most disappointing early in camp and then got hurt.  Posey may be useless, but it is obvious that Maccagnan likes him.  Maccagnan being the GM and all would seem to make that rather important.  I also mentioned Graham.  These guys will be more likley to stick with their blunders than Idzik's. Owusu plays specials.  If Evans doesn't he is going to have a tough road to make the roster with Marshall, Decker, Kerley and Smith basically guaranteed roster spots.  He will be hoping some of these guys get hurt.

I hope the final cut of WR's is not who the GM and the OC HEARTed in 2013 but is based on the performance in training camp.

I do agree that the bottom of the WR roster has to do well on special teams BUT the JETS have to ensure they have 5 top notch guys in WR skills on the team specially when one of the WR's had a injury riddled season last year.

We should not end up like we did last year where the HC was so caught up on special team skills that all they had was a bunch of special teamers on the team to a point where a Decker injury in Green Bay made the team suddenly look devoid of any legit targets at WR.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/51535/new-york-jets-ota-observations-ryan-fitzpatrick-returns-to-team-drills

New York Jets' OTA observations: Ryan Fitzpatrick returns to team drills

Rich Cimini

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Observations from the New York Jets' fifth OTA (organized team activity), the second open to the media:

1. Backup quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, limited throughout the spring as he recovered from a broken leg, participated in team drills for the first time. He took reps with the backups, demonstrating a strong grasp of the offense -- which is what you'd expect from a guy who spent three years in Chan Gailey's system. Todd Bowles said he'd like to see more velocity from Fitzpatrick, but he expects that to happen as he veteran quarterback rebuilds his stamina. Fitzpatrick had an interception on a ball that was batted at the line of scrimmage. His highlight was a nice pass to Shaq Evans on a rollout to his right, delivering the ball in a tight window a nanosecond before cornerback Darrin Walls arrived on the scene. Evans turned and ran for a long touchdown.

2. It wasn't a particularly crisp day for quarterback Geno Smith, and that's being kind. He struggled with his accuracy from the outset, even in positional drills against "air." He was a split-second late in delivering the ball on some routes, which can be expected with a new offense. At times, his ball placement was off, even on completed passes. He also took a delay-of-game penalty with under 30 seconds remaining in a two-minute drill -- a big no-no. Smith had a funny, self-deprecating quote after practice, one that could apply to his day: "We always talk about having short memories as quarterbacks. Mine has to be one of the shortest in history, just to put some of the things behind me." He was referring to his first two seasons, of course, not just one OTA practice.

3. A quick thought on Bowles' latest comments on the quarterback situation, which contradicted Chan Gailey's remarks from last week: It's deja vu all over again. Didn't the Jets have the same competition/non-competition issue last season with Rex Ryan and John Idzik? Come on, fellas, it's not that hard to deliver a message.

Give it up already. Bowles did not contradict Gailey AT ALL.yesterday. In fact he said it was Geno's job to lose, that Geno would get all of the first team reps. He did say that there was an opportunity for competition but he does not expect Geno to lose his place. This is nothing like the ridiculous competitions that we had under Rex, and the media will do everything in their power to bash Geno and praise the other QBs to create a QB story. Nothing to see here. Fitz is not starting. More possibility of Bryce starting than the person who was told he was brought in as backup and mentor.

So Geno didn't turn it over and conquering hero did?

So Geno has dumb brains and Fitz doesn't?  Because that's the proper takeaway from this day's work.  Maybe if Geno was the one coming off the leg injury his play could be somewhat excused.  But nope.  He's just terrible.

Archived