Jets have two Top 10 "scariest groups"

DaBallhawk

The only team to do so. http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000494302/nfls-scariest-position-groups-ranking-the-top-10

8) New York Jets' defensive line

Todd Bowles inherited one of the top defensive lines in football when he took over Gang Green. The Jets' imposing front features two of the most disruptive interior defenders in the NFL in Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson (pictured). The duo absolutely annihilates opponents at the point of attack, exhibiting exceptional strength, power and agility while blowing past blockers on the way to the quarterback. Quinton Coples has been a bit of an underachiever based on expectations, but he has posted 16.5 sacks in three seasons while playing out of position (3-4 OLB), which suggests he could blossom into a legitimate threat in Bowles' aggressive defense. Throw in first-rounder Leonard Williams' potential as a versatile playmaker, and it's clear: The Jets' talent and depth along the D-line will lead to a lot of sleepless nights for offensive coordinators around the NFL.

4) New York Jets' cornerbacks

In a pass-happy league, it is imperative for an elite D to have at least three cornerbacks capable of winning one-on-one matchups. The Jets clearly have the best threesome, with Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine joining forces. Revis is back to putting receivers on the island. He is a technical marvel with an extraordinary football IQ. Playing behind a ferocious pass rush this season, Revis can be even more aggressive in coverage, with the ball coming out quicker from the pocket. Cromartie is capable of strangling receivers with his aggressive bump-and-run tactics. His combination of length and ball skills dramatically shrinks the QB's strike zone. Skrine doesn't have the reputation of his Pro Bowl partners, but he's a quality third corner capable of locking down WR3s. Given Bowles' willingness to attack opponents with a barrage of Cover 0 pressures (all-out blitzes without safety help), these CBs will have plenty of chances to showcase their impeccable cover skills.

The Eagles RB's at #6 are a joke, other than that I agree for the most part. Wouldn't take BUF's D-Line over ours, though. Especially not with Schwartz gone.

To have two top ten scariest groups is great, but to have them both on defence Wow. If we are anything but top #3 defence I will be upset. After all we were #6 last year without a db worth mentioning. Also we were tied for ##6 in sacks, I expect at least 10 more cover sacks this year. The most important stat we need to improve is takeaways, we were #30 with 6 interceptions where as Bills had 19. That is God awful. I hope Bowles can light a fuse under This defence and create more turnovers. It seems like the jets weren't very creative in causing turnovers. You have to create turnovers not just sit back and expect them to happen. With our new secondary I think we will improve. Blitzing and causing qb's to throw up ill advised passes will help the cause. I say tbills.the biggest improvement will be receiving touchdowns aloud. We gave up 31 last year, and cro and revis gave up 2 each last year. Big improvement.

The only team to do so. http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000494302/nfls-scariest-position-groups-ranking-the-top-10

8) New York Jets' defensive line

Todd Bowles inherited one of the top defensive lines in football when he took over Gang Green. The Jets' imposing front features two of the most disruptive interior defenders in the NFL in Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson (pictured). The duo absolutely annihilates opponents at the point of attack, exhibiting exceptional strength, power and agility while blowing past blockers on the way to the quarterback. Quinton Coples has been a bit of an underachiever based on expectations, but he has posted 16.5 sacks in three seasons while playing out of position (3-4 OLB), which suggests he could blossom into a legitimate threat in Bowles' aggressive defense. Throw in first-rounder Leonard Williams' potential as a versatile playmaker, and it's clear: The Jets' talent and depth along the D-line will lead to a lot of sleepless nights for offensive coordinators around the NFL.

4) New York Jets' cornerbacks

In a pass-happy league, it is imperative for an elite D to have at least three cornerbacks capable of winning one-on-one matchups. The Jets clearly have the best threesome, with Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine joining forces. Revis is back to putting receivers on the island. He is a technical marvel with an extraordinary football IQ. Playing behind a ferocious pass rush this season, Revis can be even more aggressive in coverage, with the ball coming out quicker from the pocket. Cromartie is capable of strangling receivers with his aggressive bump-and-run tactics. His combination of length and ball skills dramatically shrinks the QB's strike zone. Skrine doesn't have the reputation of his Pro Bowl partners, but he's a quality third corner capable of locking down WR3s. Given Bowles' willingness to attack opponents with a barrage of Cover 0 pressures (all-out blitzes without safety help), these CBs will have plenty of chances to showcase their impeccable cover skills.

The Eagles RB's at #6 are a joke, other than that I agree for the most part. Wouldn't take BUF's D-Line over ours, though. Especially not with Schwartz gone.

Buffalo's line was stellar before Schwartz.  And Buffalo's line is better than ours.  They have two double digit sack edge rushers and two dominant interior guys.

I'll go with Todd Bowles comment.  Right now it's two handed touch and everyone is an all star.

Jets have a lot of talent.  Should they be a top 3 defense, sure.  But we are all Jets fans.  Should and Will are different.

McDougal and Milliner could be all pro or never play another down for the Jets.  Cro is fragile.  He was injured in 13, bounced back in 14 (and thank you Idzik for having that be in Arizona), but who knows for 15

I thought last year was all about office politics.  Idzik wanted Rex fired so he sabotaged the roster.  Turns out his draft was nearly worthless.  Got himself fired as well as Rex.  Sorry to learn the Jags were dumb enough to hire him.  Cannot stand a guy who uses his office to screw his employer and all fo us.

Anyway, back to the point.  Jets have a #1D on paper, but after last year, I'll wait til October to get excited.

Cro sucks

He's among the best #2 corners in the league, what's your point? You can't have two shutdown corners out there.

Anyway, it'll fun to see how our front 7 does against the Cowboys O-Line and then measure that performance vs what the Bills front 7 is gonna do against the Cowboys. Those 2 games will be a good indicator of who really has the best front 7 or at least D-Line.

so unless the LB's are mo larry and curley, the defense should be #1, no ?

Jmo The Jets cb group is definitely better than last year unit , but isn't going to be anywhere close to dominating. All they have is the big name recognition, but That secondary can still be exploited.

Cromartie can handle the one trick pony wr( devin smith type) but ask him to cover a Wr that can run a full route tree . Good luck there. Not to mention teams are going to force Cromartie to tackle. Will Get the ball to wr quickly, and see if Cromartie can bring them down.

Jmo The Jets cb group is definitely better than last year unit , but isn't going to be anywhere close to dominating. All they have is the big name recognition, but That secondary can still be exploited.

Cromartie can handle the one trick pony wr( devin smith type) but ask him to cover a Wr that can run a full route tree . Good luck there. Not to mention teams are going to force Cromartie to tackle. Will Get the ball to wr quickly, and see if Cromartie can bring them down.

Ha, ha.

Hmm, let's see, last year we had a rookie safety playing with 2 UDFAs, who were both CUT from other teams. Now in 2015, we have the undisputed best CB in the league coming off a fantastic year. Cromarty who played in Bowles defense so he's instantly up to speed, added Skrine who was considered the best slot CB available in free agency, signed Gilchrist, already have McDougle running full speed in OTAs & might get Millliner back to play the 5th CB roll.

Yea, I'd have to agree they should be slightly better. But you failed to mention they also will be playing behind one of the deepest & most talented Dline in the league also.

Coples-Douzable-Richardson-Wilkerson-Vickerson-Williams-Harrison

I think you'll be singing a different tune during the season.

Buffalo's line was stellar before Schwartz. And Buffalo's line is better than ours. They have two double digit sack edge rushers and two dominant interior guys.

This is absolute complete bulsh*t. Their line is NOT BETTER THAN OURS!!!!! Learn the game of football before you post, idiot.

The Eagles RB's at #6 are a joke, other than that I agree for the most part. 

I don't know that listing them there is a joke, considering the impressive depth. But it would surprise no one if (when) Murray and Mathews are both injured by mid-season, with one of them already on IR. Especially after Murray got the ball 450x last season. NFL history and personal history say it's likely he's getting injured this season. Mathews had like 1 good game in 2014 (and had to leave early, of course). At 32, Sproles is annually due to lose some explosiveness from his prior season, but he should still be plenty explosive enough if/when he's given the ball with some space to do something (receiving and draw plays). I don't see how his kick-returning is relevant to a ground attack.

Regardless, on paper the trio is a super-unit so I think the listing/ranking is generally ok. But we'll see how long they actually last, though. Maybe all season, and maybe not even through October.

The Jets gave up 31 passing TD's last year starting street FA's.  The Cardinals gave up 18 with Cro as they're #2.  Cro isnt good anymore but he's such an upgrade over what the Jets were trotting out there it's not even funny.  Add Skrine to the mix both Miliner and McDougle healthy and an emerging Marcus Williams.  There is depth in the secondary.  A lot of it.   They're going to have to make some decisions there is so much depth.

The beauty is, they dont have to dominate.  Every secondary can be exploited.  Teams have always forced to Cro to tackle.  The Jets were 8th in the league in sacks last season with the worst starting CB's in the league.   1 second longer is a huge difference for this line. 

Ha, ha.

Hmm, let's see, last year we had a rookie safety playing with 2 UDFAs, who were both CUT from other teams. Now in 2015, we have the undisputed best CB in the league coming off a fantastic year. Cromarty who played in Bowles defense so he's instantly up to speed, added Skrine who was considered the best slot CB available in free agency, signed Gilchrist, already have McDougle running full speed in OTAs & might get Millliner back to play the 5th CB roll.

Yea, I'd have to agree they should be slightly better. But you failed to mention they also will be playing behind one of the deepest & most talented Dline in the league also.

Coples-Douzable-Richardson-Wilkerson-Vickerson-Williams-Harrison

I think you'll be singing a different tune during the season.

D Revis isn't the best cb in the game anymore. Still a top tier cb but clearly not in Richard Sherman, Patrick Peterson, or Joe Haden class of cb .( wrong side of thirty where Cb skills can start to slip and fast).

Even if you want to believe Antonio Cromartie had a good year for the Cardinals last year- played a lot of running teams). The fact is Cromartie has never put too good years in a row. ( that's going back to his Charger days). no offensive coordinator is losing sleep worrying about Antonio Cromartie.( best thing Jets did was make it basically a one year deal- can get out of that contract ). you have a Wr that can run a full route tree , and have to like your chances against Cromartie. Buster Skrine is decent nickel cb ,but he still a 5'9 cb.

The Jets defense line is super talented ( crazy if you even try to run on them), but don't have elite pass rushers that would make it one of the best Defense lines ever. ( knocks that defense line down when talking about all time great defense lines- probably why Bills Defense line more scarier than the Jets).

That Jmo and let's see if that's the case when the season starts,

He's among the best #2 corners in the league, what's your point? You can't have two shutdown corners out there.

Anyway, it'll fun to see how our front 7 does against the Cowboys O-Line and then measure that performance vs what the Bills front 7 is gonna do against the Cowboys. Those 2 games will be a good indicator of who really has the best front 7 or at least D-Line.

Dex and Dee will both be better than Cro by seasons end

Why is the original article talking about QC but not Snacks?

Yeah. Also makes note of how in the past Q was being played out of position. Then ignores that it's the identical position Bowles more or less announced he's going to continue to play. Barring injury (injuries), he's not moving to end on our 3-man line; we already have 1 more starter than we need there without Coples. 

I think (on passing downs) Bowles is going to pretty much send Q after the passer 80% of the time no matter where he's lined up. It would seem so; that's what all these corners are supposed to afford us scheme-wise. So from that standpoint, it's incidental whether Q's got his hand in the dirt or if he's standing up. At least if he's standing up it creates the potential that he might not be rushing the passer on any given passing down.

The Jets gave up 31 passing TD's last year starting street FA's. The Cardinals gave up 18 with Cro as they're #2. Cro isnt good anymore but he's such an upgrade over what the Jets were trotting out there it's not even funny. Add Skrine to the mix both Miliner and McDougle healthy and an emerging Marcus Williams. There is depth in the secondary. A lot of it. They're going to have to make some decisions there is so much depth.

The beauty is, they dont have to dominate. Every secondary can be exploited. Teams have always forced to Cro to tackle. The Jets were 8th in the league in sacks last season with the worst starting CB's in the league. 1 second longer is a huge difference for this line. You're an idiot.

Who cares about last years stats as the opponents played a big hand in those stats.( Cardinals played in A run heavy division- even non divisional Game Cowboys were a run heavy team( look at Demarco Murray number of carriers) That why It means very little what Cromartie did , as my position his numbers are skewed somewhat.( doesn't mean it's going to translate to the Jets or what they are going to ask of him)

Dee Miiliner( probably heading for pup list- will miss first six games( still recovering from Achilles injury) and Mcdougle healthy now( will that last). Still both are unknowns at this time that you have no idea what kind of players are they- . So let me get this straight last year cb sucked, but Marcus Williams was emerging.( how would you know when he was part of the problem)

Just because you have bodies , doesn't mean you have proven depth. Again until further notice there are still a lot of question marks at Cb after Revis.

here is what your missing . pass coverage just doesn't come down to the Cb position, but the Lb and safety position play a part in that also. very familiar with Marcus Gilchrist , and if you think he's a difference maker , well expect to be disappointed .

Who cares about last years stats as the opponents played a big hand in those stats.( Cardinals played in A run heavy division- even non divisional Game Cowboys were a run heavy team( look at Demarco Murray number of carriers) That why It means very little what Cromartie did , as my position his numbers are skewed somewhat.( doesn't mean it's going to translate to the Jets or what they are going to ask of him)

Dee Miiliner( probably heading for pup list- will miss first six games( still recovering from Achilles injury) and Mcdougle healthy now( will that last). Still both are unknowns at this time that you have no idea what kind of players are they- . So let me get this straight last year cb sucked, but Marcus Williams was emerging.( how would you know when he was part of the problem)

Just because you have bodies , doesn't mean you have proven depth. Again until further notice there are still a lot of question marks at Cb after Revis.

here is what your missing . pass coverage just doesn't come down to the Cb position, but the Lb and safety position play a part in that also. very familiar with Marcus Gilchrist , and if you think he's a difference maker , well expect to be disappointed .

Gilchrist doesn't have to be a "difference" maker he just has to do his job. Bowles blitzing defense creates opportunities for guys that have coverage skills. Jets have 2 safeties that have played CB in the past Antonio Allen & Gilchrist.

That's 2 more sets of hands on the field. Jarrett also had a decent year & if Pryor starts coming around under Bowles tutiledge he's gonna have a lot to work with when he goes nickel & dime. He might have 6 guys on the field at times that have ball skills.

Jets will be putting the pressure on from start to finish with their depth on the Dline. Then you have guys like Reilly, Ik & Mauldin!

Someone will emerge out of that group. I think Ik turns into a terror playing alongside this Dline as a designated pass rusher.

Pace won't have to play many downs at all if Ik & Mauldin show anything.

Buffalo's line was stellar before Schwartz.  And Buffalo's line is better than ours.  They have two double digit sack edge rushers and two dominant interior guys.

And I can assure you they won't this year.  Rex plays a man defense unbalanced rush D.  While it may be tough for the opposing QB to move the ball downfield, it is easy for him to spot the defense and either find the mismatch or get rid of the ball quickly.  Man covg is generally easier for the QB to limit his mistakes because it's easy to see either the reciever is covered or he isn't.  With a Zone D the QB has to process the movements of the defenders a little more closely and figure out if a zone is cleared or not.  What he "sees" may actually not be the reality, where as man covg what he sees is actually what the reality is.  If the QB is stupid enough to throw into a covered receiver in man you may see an INT but more often than not an NFL QB won't do that.  Rex's unbalanced rushes really just serve to alert the QB that he needs to get rid of the ball quickly, so read your first, maybe 2nd read and if they aren't there get rid of it.  In a perfect world it leads to alot of 3 and outs and low yardage from the opponents.  But not so much in sacks and turnovers.  Converselty a zone based D serves to confuse the QB.  It gives looks at receivers where they may look open when in reality the coverage is coming from the other direction.  Because of this the QB may tend to take a little longer to process the play, resulting in more sacks.  It also tends to lead to more turnovers.  But the tradeoff is it also lends itself to giving up bigger chunks of yardage because there are soft spots th QB's can exploit. 

To have two top ten scariest groups is great, but to have them both on defence Wow. If we are anything but top #3 defence I will be upset. After all we were #6 last year without a db worth mentioning. Also we were tied for ##6 in sacks, I expect at least 10 more cover sacks this year. The most important stat we need to improve is takeaways, we were #30 with 6 interceptions where as Bills had 19. That is God awful. I hope Bowles can light a fuse under This defence and create more turnovers. It seems like the jets weren't very creative in causing turnovers. You have to create turnovers not just sit back and expect them to happen. With our new secondary I think we will improve. Blitzing and causing qb's to throw up ill advised passes will help the cause. I say tbills.the biggest improvement will be receiving touchdowns aloud. We gave up 31 last year, and cro and revis gave up 2 each last year. Big improvement.

Those statistics are impossible. Rex is a horrible coach after all 

You're an idiot.  

'll wait til October to get excited.

As a Bills Fan,  i've been saying this right along.  Much like the  Jets,  there's been alot of changes this season.  New coaches,  no playbooks,  a lot of new players.  It's going to take time for everything to fall into place.  Personally,  I think we can make the championship game and I would be happy with that (for the Bills)  much beyond that might be a gamble once again because of all the changes.    I've listened to some of Bowles conference  with the media and also Rex's.  I get the impression that they would be satisfied making the championship games this year too.   The SB,  without QB's for either team might be a stretch although still possible.

Archived