Matt Simms Released

CrazyCarl40

New York Jets @nyjets 1m1 minute ago

We have released QB Matt Simms- http://bit.ly/1HURIyE 

Jets Release QB Matt Simms

Posted 8 minutes ago

Randy Lange Senior Reporter, newyorkjets.com @rlangejets Blog: Randy's Radar

Third-Year Signalcaller Backed Up Geno Smith in '13, Smith & Michael Vick Last Year

The Jets have released quarterback Matt Simms.

Simms, who was undrafted out of Tennessee, first signed with the Green & White after a successful tryout at the 2012 rookie minicamp. He was a final cut that summer but was signed to a reserve/future deal on Dec. 31, 2012, then made the 2013 roster as the first backup to rookie starter Geno Smith.

Simms played in three games in '13 and threw for his first pro touchdown in Week 11 at Buffalo. He returned last season as the second backup behind Smith and Michael Vick and played in one game in Week 9, filling in for a shaken-up Vick in the fourth quarter at Kansas City.

For his pro career, Simms has played in four games (no starts), completed 19 of 39 passes for 195 yards, a TD and an interception, has been sacked four times, and has a 61.4 passer rating.

In the Jets' QB room now are Smith, 10th-year veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick, fourth-round rookie Bryce Petty and undrafted free agent rookie Jake Heaps.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice of them to do it now so he can find a team.

I liked Matt but this gives him the chance to catch on with a new team where he might play more.

When he was on the practice squad, literally every other team could have picked him up. Unless someone needs a tackling dummie, I don't see him getting a chance elsewhere.

I can't wait for the posts about how this team has no idea what it is losing from not giving Simms a chance.  I can put them with the same posts about Brett Raitliff.  I mean Simms couldn't even beat out Tyler Bray at Tennessee, come on.

Do we usually keep a practice squad QB or not necessarily?

Just wondering if Heaps somehow sticks around.

Either Heaps beat him out or they're being nice to give him a chance somewhere else.

Once Petty was drafted it was curtains for Simms.  I believe Simms is out of PS time.  More then likely Heaps goes to PS if he shows anything.  He's like Matt Simms part II.    

Good arm, great HS player, sucked in NCAA

Waiting for the first person to lose sleep because they think he'll sign with the Pats tonight

Not a chance after his brother ripped Brady as a cheat a couple weeks ago.

Not a chance after his brother ripped Brady as a cheat a couple weeks ago.

Won't stop the fans who predict every Jet castoff will sign with the Pats crowd from thinking this though.

Only half joking

When Rex was asked last year about benching an inept Geno for Simms he literally chuckled. If that didn't tell Jet fans all they needed to know about Matt Simms abilities this move just did. 

Simms greatest attribute was having the last name of a former solid NFL QB. 

He's got good arm strength. That's about it. Him and his brother should have never made it to the NFL.

When Rex was asked last year about benching an inept Geno for Simms he literally chuckled. If that didn't tell Jet fans all they needed to know about Matt Simms abilities this move just did. 

Simms greatest attribute was having the last name of a former solid NFL QB. 

youre believing Rex? Rex has no idea how evaluate talent. That was glaringly obvious after his tenure. Youre  talking about a dude that put you through Sanchez and Geno and youre all like he's right? Good one.

Archived