Demario Davis Lifting It to Another Level

32EBoozer

Demario Davis Lifting It to Another Level
http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Demario-Davis-Lifting-It-to-Another-Level/aace4b7e-dee9-49bd-9b47-19182accb9c1
Randy Lange

Senior Reporter, newyorkjets.com

@rlangejets Blog: Randy's Radar

4th-Year ILB Has Made Gains in the Weightroom, Likes the Scheme and the Players Around Him

Year 4 of the professional football education of Demario Davis is well under way.

"I feel good. I'm just trying to become as good a player as I can to help the team," the Jets linebacker said after a recent OTA practice. "I'm just trying to do my job, become more efficient in all the areas that they want me to."

Davis has been busting his butt since his arrival from Arkansas State in the third round of the 2012 draft. As former head coach Rex Ryan said last summer, "I don't know if anybody in the league is working harder."

But Double-D has taken it to another level. He understands what's required of him as a pro. He also knows he has to impress the new staff in town — head coach Todd Bowles, coordinator Kacy Rodgers and ILBs coach Mike Caldwell.

Demario Davis #56 Verified account @demario__davis May 9

All men are created equal, some work harder in the offseason!!!!

So Davis has continued his training and technique work with former Lions LB Stephen Boyd and with Jay Caldwell of TBR Training. And he's taken to the offseason program laid out for him by strength coach Justus Galac and his staff.

"Our strength coach has done a good job in helping guys get stronger," Davis said. "I'm putting up some of the best numbers in the weightroom that I've ever put up in my life."

I asked Demario if he wanted to crow about any of his lifts. "Nah, it's nothing to be braggin' over," he said. "But to have my bench in the upper 400s and my squats in the upper 600s is good. Those are numbers I hadn't put up before."

Now he and his fellow 'backers have been taking it to the field at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. So far, he said, "there are a lot of similarities and there are a lot of differences" between this defense and Ryan's scheme. "The good thing about it is, all the things they're asking me to do, I've done them all before."

Davis has become an iron man for the Green & White. He's one of four Jets defenders to post 32 starts in 2013-14 combined. The only Jet who's played more defensive snaps the past two seasons than Davis' 2,050 is ILB neighbor David Harris. The only Jets defender to play more total plays, including specials, than Davis' 2,350 snaps was S Dawan Landry.

And while the D's recent turnover skills have been depressed, Davis is one of five Jets — and the only front seven player — to have three defensive takeaways the past two seasons combined, with his interception in '13 and two David Harris strip-sack recoveries last season.

What does No. 56 see us having to do to turn that defensive turnover spigot back on in '15?

"Individually, I can just focus on it every day at practice. My coach, he's saying it, I have to do it," he said. "I have to focus on getting strips, on being in the right position and in the right coverages. The defensive design is for a lot of takeaways to happen. You're playing fast, you've got a good front line putting pressure on the ball, you've got guys behind that can cover. We have those things. It's just going to come down to execution."

Other parts of the defense should remain strong. In total yards allowed, we've been in the NFL's top 11 each of the past six seasons. The run defense the past two years is No. 2 in yards allowed/game, No. 1 in yards/carry. Last year's 45-sack total was our best in 26 years. Then with what's been done in the secondary this offseason, Davis acknowledges, "We look good on paper."

"But work still has to be put in every day," he added. "It's not going to be one of those things of trying to live up to expectations or anything like that. We don't want be known for what somebody says about us or how good we're supposed to be. We want to be known for what we put on film."

And that puts it all back on the individual. Davis' mantra for the season ahead:

"The better player I become, the better the team becomes."

If he can keep that top-end speed while increasing his numbers like that in the weight room... this man could become a BEAST!

Just our luck when he finally reaches his potential, he'll be hitting FA... can't keep everyone.

Some tough decisions for MacDaddy in the coming year.

I like Demorio.

I'm really curious to see which of the reclamation projects like Mays and Henderson can also stick.

Might not be any. Those guys and Lattimore seemed like good pickups, but I am hopeful for Taiwan Jones. If it were up to me I am not sure I am keeping 4 ILBs.  The thing that could help keep an extra would be a guy that plays inside/outside.  Reilly played everywhere in college.  I think Henderson came in as an OLB.  Special teams will probably determine, and that is generally a young man's game.

Might not be any. Those guys and Lattimore seemed like good pickups, but I am hopeful for Taiwan Jones. If it were up to me I am not sure I am keeping 4 ILBs.  The thing that could help keep an extra would be a guy that plays inside/outside.  Reilly played everywhere in college.  I think Henderson came in as an OLB.  Special teams will probably determine, and that is generally a young man's game.

Especially when Davis and Harris played about 90% of all snaps last year. Hoping Harris gets taken off the field on passing downs and bring Allen or Pryor deep into the box on 2nd and 8, 3rd and 6 kind of plays.

From what I'm reading, Bowles' defense simpler than Rex and involves more "read and react"

Hoping that allows Davis to play quicker.

Read and react?  I thought Bowles was all attack.  I think read and react is less simple.  IMO the complexity of Ryan's defense came mostly from the multiple responsibilities.  I don't consider either a "read and react" defense from what I've seen.  That is more Belichick/Parells/Mangini

Read and react?  I thought Bowles was all attack.  I think read and react is less simple.  IMO the complexity of Ryan's defense came mostly from the multiple responsibilities.  I don't consider either a "read and react" defense from what I've seen.  That is more Belichick/Parells/Mangini

Good point! I guess it's been so long since I've seen a true "Attack" Defense(85 Bears, LeBeau's Steeler from yesteryear) that "Read- React" seemed the simplest.

The most important thing in these "D's" is a solid defensive backfield.

Good point! I guess it's been so long since I've seen a true "Attack" Defense(85 Bears, LeBeau's Steeler from yesteryear) that "Read- React" seemed the simplest.

The most important thing in these "D's" is a solid defensive backfield.

I am considered a Rexapologist, but I think he attacked plenty.  Even his detractors generally admit this claiming that he blitzed into oblivion with Darrin Walls and Josh Thomas at CB. I don't agree, but it doesn't matter now anyway.

Is there film to prove this or is this just your observation?

Both. I think it's been well documented by now that Demario isn't exactly the most instinctive player in football. By the time he figures out a play it's already too late, that's why he's always a step or two behind despite his speed and athletic skills, whether it's in coverage or him playing the run. Some linebackers like Lavonte David, Sean Lee, Thomas Davis, Kuechly etc. diagnose plays immediately after the snap, they're always in the backfield making plays behind the line. Demario never does because it takes him forever to figure out what's going on. Is it because he's young and needs more experience? I don't think so. Is it fixable? I doubt it. He could be a Pro Bowl type if he had better instincts. He would be what Thomas Davis is now, they have the same body, same athletic skills, they both love to hit, they both are sure tacklers. But Thomas Davis has great instincts, he always had. Demario doesn't. He's Victor Hobson 2.0.

If he can keep that top-end speed while increasing his numbers like that in the weight room... this man could become a BEAST!

Just our luck when he finally reaches his potential, he'll be hitting FA... can't keep everyone.

Some tough decisions for MacDaddy in the coming year.

I like Demario.  Great athlete, strong leader, he could be a great a weapon this year with a revamped secondary and a top 3 DL in the league.  Truthfully, all the pressure is on the LB'ers this season.  The DL is going to be nasty, that's a given.  The secondary should be drastically improved.  So its really up to the LB'ers to be the X factor as to how dominant the D can be this season.

But you bring up a great point which makes that contract that gave Harris even more of a head scratcher.  You'd think they'd lean toward putting their stock into a younger player with a higher upside than Harris.  He's not going to be able to pay everyone.  I see Davis finishing out his contract and leaving this team just because he's going to be the odd man out.  Which is a shame, Harris is on a decline and you'd have to imagine Davis would be cheaper to resign...so it will be interesting to see how this plays out but I think he walks after his first contract.   Unless, there is something in the Harris contact that gives the Jets an out that I'm not aware of.

Both. I think it's been well documented by now that Demario isn't exactly the most instinctive player in football. By the time he figures out a play it's already too late, that's why he's always a step or two behind despite his speed and athletic skills, whether it's in coverage or him playing the run. Some linebackers like Lavonte David, Sean Lee, Thomas Davis, Kuechly etc. diagnose plays immediately after the snap, they're always in the backfield making plays behind the line. Demario never does because it takes him forever to figure out what's going on. Is it because he's young and needs more experience? I don't think so. Is it fixable? I doubt it. He could be a Pro Bowl type if he had better instincts. He would be what Thomas Davis is now, they have the same body, same athletic skills, they both love to hit, they both are sure tacklers. But Thomas Davis has great instincts, he always had. Demario doesn't. He's Victor Hobson 2.0.

Good points. If Demario had better read/react instincts, would have been a 1st rounder. Speaking of Kuechly, other than JJ Watt, I think he's the best defensive player in the NFL. 

Good points. If Demario had better read/react instincts, would have been a 1st rounder. Speaking of Kuechly, other than JJ Watt, I think he's the best defensive player in the NFL. 

There is no way he's better than Sheldon or Revis Island. Jets got two of the top-five defensive players in the league.

DD clearly cares about improving as a player, he was improperly chided by Rex last year for saying the players need to do better film study when on a losing streak.  I think he'll be even better this season with the talent around him.  He's got that semi-crazy look in his eyes that he'll do whatever it takes to get better.

DD clearly cares about improving as a player, he was improperly chided by Rex last year for saying the players need to do better film study when on a losing streak.  I think he'll be even better this season with the talent around him.  He's got that semi-crazy look in his eyes that he'll do whatever it takes to get better.

so do i

love this kid

Same here.  I have unabashed man-love for Demario.  He kicks ass and hustles sideline to sideline, the latter point being his rep going into the draft. The guy has been a standout since he laced up.  WTF are the JI player personnel analysts talking about?

Same here.  I have unabashed man-love for Demario.  He kicks ass and hustles sideline to sideline, the latter point being his rep going into the draft. The guy has been a standout since he laced up.  WTF are the JI player personnel analysts talking about?

Agreed... Sacks don't always tell the story with LB's.116 tackles with 3.5 sacks.

He's gotten better every year, is a leader in the locker room and keeps guys accountable from what I hear.

This could be the breakout year where he takes the next step to being a top 10 ILB.

Archived