Rex at it again! Needs to sit down w/ Oprah and Dr. Phil.

32EBoozer

Rex couldn't work with Idzik because Idzik acted like a real gm and didn't let Rex walk all over him like Tanny, and seemingly like this Whalley guy.

Rex's actually coaching the last two years were the worst coaching jobs he did of any of his time here and it punch a big fat hole in his Defensive genius label.

Rex's offense's have always sucked. His defense faltered once he was not handed pro bowl or hof corners.

To win 8 games in 2013 with that joke of a roster where a month into the season the majority of our "skill" players/WRs and TEs started the season on the street was pretty damn impressive. Rookie QB not ready to start in the NFL, rookie CB along side an injured Cro starting, etc.

Rex is gone, I'm happy to have Bowles, it was time for a change, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna alter history to fit an agenda.

As for needing Corners, all teams need them and coaches including Bowles. Look at Belichicks defenses with corners and without talented corners, huge difference. Hardly an indictment, no coach wins without talent regardless how great a coach they are.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buffalo had no intentions of firing Marrone. He decided to leave and of course we needed a coach.

It lools like a lot of people in New York (downstate) still love Rex. He was there at a charity ball last night. Here's the article

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/06/how_does_ex-jets_coach_rex_ryan_want_to_be_remembe.html

Not seeing a overflow of love for Rex in this article. Most Jets fans are happy he's gone. People who like him like his personality. Not to many want him as the coach of their team. Huge difference. not even close to the same thing

Most Jets fans are happy he's gone. People who like him like his personality. Not to many want him as the coach of their team. Huge difference. not even close to the same thing

I liked Rex while he was here. But now I see why many people (especially non-Jets fans) hated him so much. From the outside looking in, his schtick is pretty annoying. The whole thing with Jace Amaro made him look petty and insecure. He obviously hasn't gotten over being fired.

I liked Rex while he was here. But now I see why many people (especially non-Jets fans) hated him so much. From the outside looking in, his schtick is pretty annoying. The whole thing with Jace Amaro made him look petty and insecure. He obviously hasn't gotten over being fired.

I'm with you, liked him while he was here. But he became harder and harder to defend, both his shtick and coaching deficiencies as time went on. There weren't many who didn't think it was time for him to go. I think he's going to be even more annoying with the Bills than he was here, has to do more to get himself and his team on the back page from buffalo

Not seeing a overflow of love for Rex in this article. Most Jets fans are happy he's gone. People who like him like his personality. Not to many want him as the coach of their team. Huge difference. not even close to the same thing

Not a big fan of his personality, but I am a big fan of his defense.  I like him as a coach, but it is tough to have a head man that needs so much handholding and Woody never put the structure in place to do it.  Unfortunately, (for the Bills and Rex, not us) it does not look like the Bills have either.

Not a big fan of his personality, but I am a big fan of his defense. I like him as a coach, but it is tough to have a head man that needs so much handholding and Woody never put the structure in place to do it. Unfortunately, (for the Bills and Rex, not us) it does not look like the Bills have either.

^Jumping ship

^Jumping ship

It is frustrating for me.  I feel that if I was put in charge of him I would be able to put a monster team together.  My hatred of Idzik stems from the fact that he put together the opposite of the kind of D I would want for Rex.  I would have given Rex the best corners I could and let him scheme the rest.  I would have invested heavily in offense and I would have probably continued to try to keep him from meddling too much in the O.  I am not a big fan of all the chatter, but it's football and all the pansies whining about bulletin board material are a joke.  I wanted him to go to Atlanta to see what he would have done there.  At least it seemed like a different situation.  This just seems like a never ending loop.

To win 8 games in 2013 with that joke of a roster where a month into the season the majority of our "skill" players/WRs and TEs started the season on the street was pretty damn impressive. Rookie QB not ready to start in the NFL, rookie CB along side an injured Cro starting, etc.

Rex is gone, I'm happy to have Bowles, it was time for a change, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna alter history to fit an agenda.

As for needing Corners, all teams need them and coaches including Bowles. Look at Belichicks defenses with corners and without talented corners, huge difference. Hardly an indictment, no coach wins without talent regardless how great a coach they are.

Wait..... another person with common sense.

Might have to leave this place soon

It is frustrating for me. I feel that if I was put in charge of him I would be able to put a monster team together. My hatred of Idzik stems from the fact that he put together the opposite of the kind of D I would want for Rex. I would have given Rex the best corners I could and let him scheme the rest. I would have invested heavily in offense and I would have probably continued to try to keep him from meddling too much in the O. I am not a big fan of all the chatter, but it's football and all the pansies whining about bulletin board material are a joke. I wanted him to go to Atlanta to see what he would have done there. At least it seemed like a different situation. This just seems like a never ending loop.

Serious question here: what head coach needs this sort of maintenance, though?

Serious question here: what head coach needs this sort of maintenance, though?

Probably more than we think, but that doesn't mean I think he is a great head coach.  I think he has a talent that not many have.  If you want to harness it you have to deal with it.  We did neither. 

Probably more than we think, but that doesn't mean I think he is a great head coach. I think he has a talent that not many have. If you want to harness it you have to deal with it. We did neither.

Rex had talent in terms of scheming defense and cozying up to his players. From a management/leadership standpoint, his inability--and it is an inability--to assert discipline is fatal. I don't think any amount of harnessing is fixing that. You'd be supplementing to the point of absurdity.

Rex had talent in terms of scheming defense and cozying up to his players. From a management/leadership standpoint, his inability--and it is an inability--to assert discipline is fatal. I don't think any amount of harnessing is fixing that. You'd be supplementing to the point of absurdity.

I don't think football works like that. I get your point and don't really disagree, but there is a level of respect and discipline that comes from the players and coaches believing what you can do. Things here got way off track, but I think the new GM was an opportunity to take control and it didn't even seem like they tried. 

I see the old 8 wins brought up often, and that was a sheer and utter abberation.  The jets won at least two games on the last play when the other team gave the game to them and got totally blown out in almost all losses.  That team on merit was about a 5-6 win team. 

The pass defense the last two years was atrociously bad.  As for bell, he had as bad if not worse secodnaries and had way more success.  Rex just showed that without gold plated CB's he could not adapt, thus, no genius.

It is frustrating for me.  I feel that if I was put in charge of him I would be able to put a monster team together.  My hatred of Idzik stems from the fact that he put together the opposite of the kind of D I would want for Rex.  I would have given Rex the best corners I could and let him scheme the rest.  I would have invested heavily in offense and I would have probably continued to try to keep him from meddling too much in the O.  I am not a big fan of all the chatter, but it's football and all the pansies whining about bulletin board material are a joke.  I wanted him to go to Atlanta to see what he would have done there.  At least it seemed like a different situation.  This just seems like a never ending loop.

Rexs act worked when he had talent in 2009 and 2010. When the team started to lose because of a lack of players and poor QB play the thing started going south. Geno and Idzks drafts cant be blamed on Rex.

Rexs big mistake was falling in love with Sanchez. A Vet backup could have won a Super Bowl with the 09/10 defense and weapons on offense. The Jets were built to win right then.

I see the old 8 wins brought up often, and that was a sheer and utter abberation. The jets won at least two games on the last play when the other team gave the game to them and got totally blown out in almost all losses. That team on merit was about a 5-6 win team.

The pass defense the last two years was atrociously bad. As for bell, he had as bad if not worse secodnaries and had way more success. Rex just showed that without gold plated CB's he could not adapt, thus, no genius.

That team had 3-4 win talent period with the rookie QB not ready to start, crap like Salas, Nelson, Winslow and Cribbs starting along with Kellen Winslow.....rookie CB, injured Cro, etc.

The Saints game was a hell of a coaching job, completed passes total like 8 yards in the air that game yet we still won, Atlanta game was another big one and the Pats win too. It doesn't matter that we won on the last play of some of those games....we weren't even supposed to be within a play of winning those games to begin with.

You can not like Rex all you want and point out all his deficiencies, and that's fine, but don't discredit one hell of a coaching job he pulled off along with his staff in 2013.

Rexs act worked when he had talent in 2009 and 2010. When the team started to lose because of a lack of players and poor QB play the thing started going south. Geno and Idzks drafts cant be blamed on Rex.

Rexs big mistake was falling in love with Sanchez. A Vet backup could have won a Super Bowl with the 09/10 defense and weapons on offense. The Jets were built to win right then.

There are a few issues.  Apparently Rex can be very persuasive.  We needed a strong personnel guy that would be able to say no.  No to the Scotty McKnights and Tahj Boyds of the world. 

There is also the problem with what I said about discipline.  Players and coaches will follow and respect you if what you tell them to do works.  A 250 lb ILB will keep taking on a 300 lb OG if the O is getting 2 ypc.  That doesn't work when the plays don't work.  That means Rex is going to have trouble gaining the respect of the O.  I don't think he had much choice but to love/live with Sanchez.  The proof of how bad things were was that I lamented the Tebow thing as much because we lost Drew Stanton as anything else.  I thought Stanton was the perfect crappy QB to compete with Sanchez.  Sparano was such an abomination it hardly would have mattered.

That team had 3-4 win talent period with the rookie QB not ready to start, crap like Salas, Nelson, Winslow and Cribbs starting along with Kellen Winslow.....rookie CB, injured Cro, etc.

The Saints game was a hell of a coaching job, completed passes total like 8 yards in the air that game yet we still won, Atlanta game was another big one and the Pats win too. It doesn't matter that we won on the last play of some of those games....we weren't even supposed to be within a play of winning those games to begin with.

You can not like Rex all you want and point out all his deficiencies, and that's fine, but don't discredit one hell of a coaching job he pulled off along with his staff in 2013.

rex hater = "ya, rex only won 8 games because 2-3 teams just gave rex the win on the last play of the game"

geno supporters = " how can you say geno stinks. he personally pulled out 2-3 wins on the last play of the game during that 8-8 season".

do you see the connection?

Charlie Casserly said that Rex should have been named coach of the year after winning 8 games with that roster.  I agree to a point, but he did do an all around good job with what he had.

If the Falcons were smart they would have looked at how Dungy got his only ring and then ask Rex to do the same.  Stay away from the offense and our franchise quarterback and just fix the defense.  Worked for Indy...might have worked for Atlanta.  

Alot of the problems (at least for the last 2 years of Rex's tenure) stemmed from the bad relationship between Idzik and Rex.  Your fans despised Idzik and wanted him fired.   Rex had to work with the team Idzik gave him.

if you are looking for a fair evaluation of rex ryan on this board, good luck. the hate here for rex is alarming and disturbing. imho, a team could do better than rex at head coach. they could also do worse. rex definitely has his deficiencies. to say the least. you, as a buffalo fan, have to hope rex has learned from his mistakes in ny. its hard to tell if he has or hasn't the past 2 years, well, because of your statement above. the bills are in good hands, at least for 2 years or so. if he hasn't learned anything, 2 years might be the end of the honeymoon. if he learned something, well you figure out the rest.

just see for yourself and don't listen to half the clowns on this board. there are a few guys that don't believe what they type, they just try and get the cronies riled up. there were guys saying rex is an overrated defensive coordinator and teams have him figured out and guys saying that rex severely under achieved in 2009. lmao. that's all you really need to know about this topic on this message board. ever hear the expression "take it with a grain of salt"? well, bring your salt shaker

if you are looking for a fair evaluation of rex ryan on this board, good luck. the hate here for rex is alarming and disturbing. imho, a team could do better than rex at head coach. they could also do worse. rex definitely has his deficiencies. to say the least. you, as a buffalo fan, have to hope rex has learned from his mistakes in ny. its hard to tell if he has or hasn't the past 2 years, well, because of your statement above. the bills are in good hands, at least for 2 years or so. if he hasn't learned anything, 2 years might be the end of the honeymoon. if he learned something, well you figure out the rest.

just see for yourself and don't listen to half the clowns on this board. there are a few guys that don't believe what they type, they just try and get the cronies riled up. there were guys saying rex is an overrated defensive coordinator and teams have him figured out and guys saying that rex severely under achieved in 2009. lmao. that's all you really need to know about this topic on this message board. ever hear the expression "take it with a grain of salt"? well, bring your salt shaker

I think that one of the problems is that while you could do much worse at head coach, there are much worse coaches without such obvious deficiencies.  It makes it much easier to blast him and any defense has to consider those deficiencies. 

Charlie Casserly said that Rex should have been named coach of the year after winning 8 games with that roster.  I agree to a point, but he did do an all around good job with what he had.

Who’s been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? His percentage is like a meteorologist,” Belichick said.

Who’s been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? His percentage is like a meteorologist,” Belichick said.

Nice, except Casserly was right.

(It’s worth noting Casserly’s report on Brady’s broken ribs last year proved to be correct.)

Belichik was just mad that Casserly had reported about the Spygate stuff long before Mangini ratted them out.

The Globe dug up a 2006 quote from Belichick, talking about Casserly when the analyst reported almost a year before Spygate that the Patriots were warned not to record opponents' signals.

I think that one of the problems is that while you could do much worse at head coach, there are much worse coaches without such obvious deficiencies.  It makes it much easier to blast him and any defense has to consider those deficiencies. 

very true and I agree. rex was really, really bad at some things. head scratching bad. still doesn't make him the worst coach( or given some posters comments, worst human being) ever.

I think the discipline thing is overblown because it's such an easy knock on Rex. It's not like hard asses win and players' coaches lose. In the league today, there are probably more coaches on the player friendly side. The disciplinarian act gets old real fast if -as Dom is saying- the coach doesn't put the players in position to be successful on the field. Respect from the players comes from their faith in the coach's abilities, not from that coach's ability to crack the whip.

Rex's real failure was never developing into a complete head coach. Seeing what's going on in Buffalo, it looks like nothing has changed in that respect. I don't think he should've taken that job, but I guess he had 26.5M reasons to ignore my advice.

I see the old 8 wins brought up often, and that was a sheer and utter abberation.  The jets won at least two games on the last play when the other team gave the game to them and got totally blown out in almost all losses.  That team on merit was about a 5-6 win team. 

The pass defense the last two years was atrociously bad.  As for bell, he had as bad if not worse secodnaries and had way more success.  Rex just showed that without gold plated CB's he could not adapt, thus, no genius.

Keep that complaint warm, because your brand new head coach took one look at the CBs Rex had to work with last year and signed the gold-plated CBs Rex had a couple years before. Plus a new (hopefully better) slot guy. It's not just Rex, CB is a critical position in today's NFL.

And as Parcells used to say, you are what your record says you are. You make your own luck, you create your own opportunities. He coached his ass off in 2013 and won more games than the talent he had to work with ever should've. There are plenty of valid criticisms of Rex, but the coaching job he did in 2013 is tough to criticize.

Rex will be a defensive coordinator somewhere in 3 years because he again has no quarterback. It's a shame he never has had one as a head coach - maybe we could have pushed harder for manning in 2011 but he was never coming here.

Charlie Casserly said that Rex should have been named coach of the year after winning 8 games with that roster. I agree to a point, but he did do an all around good job with what he had.

If the Falcons were smart they would have looked at how Dungy got his only ring and then ask Rex to do the same. Stay away from the offense and our franchise quarterback and just fix the defense. Worked for Indy...might have worked for Atlanta.

Hahahahahaha

Rex's real failure was never developing into a complete head coach.

This was the deal breaker for me. 5 years on the job is a long time. A really long time. That nothing had changed by the end of the 5th year was enough for me. Watching the way he was handling Geno and the QB situation as everything unraveled, it was pretty obvious he had decided to take nothing from the way he completely mishandled the collapse of Sanchez in 2011. There is no shame in a rookie head coach coming in with some deficiencies in areas that they haven't specialized in. There is, however, something inherently wrong when you have spent half a decade wielding the power of oversight and are still afraid to use any of it.

Rex will be a defensive coordinator somewhere in 3 years because he again has no quarterback. It's a shame he never has had one as a head coach - maybe we could have pushed harder for manning in 2011 but he was never coming here.

How do you know that he had no interest in coming to the Jets?

Nice, except Casserly was right.

Belichik was just mad that Casserly had reported about the Spygate stuff long before Mangini ratted them out.

No, that comment as actually about Casserly reporting about Tom Brady having 3 broken ribs. But, do go on

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/04/belichick-whos-been-been-wrong-more-than-charlie-casserly/

Can't stand this guy. AT ALL.

I now understand why the rest of the league hated the Jets over the last five years and called them a circus. Rex is the biggest loud-mouthed clown I've ever seen. He does nothing but talk sh*t and embarass his respective organization. How long is it going to be until Rex guarantees a Super Bowl for Buffalo? What's the over/under, 5 days into training camp?

Rex just can't let the Amaro stuff go. Guy does not know when to shut up. Uh-OH, now Rex REALLY wants to beat the Jets.

http://nypost.com/2015/06/04/is-rex-ryan-done-ripping-jace-amaro-yet-his-latest-jab/

Something about Jets tight end Jace Amaro still is eating at Rex Ryan.

In his first local public appearance since being fired by Gang Green and hired by the Bills, Ryan took yet another dig at Amaro as part of their unlikely feud stemming from Amaro’s claim the Jets “lacked accountability” under Ryan.

“I couldn’t care less about him,” Ryan said at WFAN’s celebrity softball benefit for the NYPD at Yankee Stadium. “That doesn’t mean anything to me. … [The hard feelings with Amaro] will be decided on the field, and we’ll see who’s got the better team.”

Ryan, who was sporting a Bills jacket and a Sabres hat as he mingled with the public, heard similar criticisms from Jets offensive linemen Willie Colon and Nick Mangold and linebacker Demario Davis.

But for some reason, the comment this offseason from Amaro — a second-year pro who left Jets practice Wednesday with an apparent back injury — has seemed to stick in Ryan’s craw. Wednesday night was at least the fourth time Ryan has ripped Amaro.

Ryan said his beef with Amaro has put “a chip on my shoulder” for the Bills’ two regular-season meetings with the Jets, particularly their Nov. 12 visit to MetLife Stadium.

“I know what’s been written about me and other things, so will I have a chip on my shoulder? Absolutely,” Ryan said. “And it will be fun. I know one thing: We ain’t hiding from anybody — New England, the Jets, anybody else. We’ll take on all challenges, and I’m looking forward to it.”

Asked if he expected to hear it from the Jets faithful when he returns to MetLife for the first time, Ryan said, “Seriously, they’ll boo me like crazy. But that’s fine with me.”

Ryan, who drove six hours after a Bills workout in Buffalo on Wednesday morning to play in the softball game, also all but predicted his new team would end its NFL-long 15-year playoff drought this fall.

“I think we’ll be in it this year,” Ryan said of the postseason. “I think we will. I’m not going to do the guarantee, but I guarantee you teams aren’t going to want to play us. We’re loaded on defense and loaded at the skill positions, so we’ll see.”

They absolutely love him in Buffalo right now. For a team in desperate need of rejuvenating their fan base he's a great fit. Granted this only lasts for an offseason but it gives them a lift before the wins and losses are accounted for.

Really same for any first year HC I guess. Rex takes it to a whole other level of excitement for a depressed fan base like Jets and Bills though.

Archived